As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Borderlands: That thread is our last hope. No, there is another.

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    I got myself up to level 32 over the last week since I have no internet at home. About to go take on Flynt.

The trouble with farming better and better weaps is that every time you find a keeper you raise the bar for the next go round.

Take 10 d100s and see how many rolls it takes to get a better result than your current high score. The word exponential comes to mind.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    th_sniper.jpg

First time I looted an orange out of a skag pile I think. Should I keep my rifle on the right, or the new one on the left?

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    keep the one you have. a few points change in accuracy makes a world of difference.

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
    edited February 2011
    On an unrelated note: The fragility of the cars is a big let down to me. I just died to a maniac with a grenade because I was sitting in a gar. If I was walking that explosion wouldn't have phased me.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've had a number of total bullshit deaths in the vehicles, but about as many lucky escapes. Last night I drove over what I think was a Spider Ant hill just outside the Middle of Nowhere outpost and instantly died. I said fuck that, noted how much my respawn cost was, exited the game, credited myself back that much with the willowtree editor, and went back to whatever I was doing in game at the time. I think I had over a billion dollars but cheap deaths like that piss me off.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bullshit vehicle deaths are the bread and butter of 4 player coop. I never get tired of ramming other people's cars off cliffs and/or blowing up their rides while they're away clearing a bandit camp.

Good times!

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • shorttiminshorttimin regular Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Like a fool, I traded Borderlands into Gamestop a while ago. Missing it greatly, I purchased it from Games on Demand on XBL. Seriously has to be one of the best FPS's, if not the greatest game ever made. Bought it Saturday, and put 10 hours into it without even realising. Rolled a Siren this time around, focusing on the Assassin skill path.

Found an awesome Revolver that does like 148 damage, refills its own ammo, has +100% crit damage and a bunch of other cool shit I can't remember. The game has tremendous ability to keep you saying "one more quest" or "I just need to find a better SMG" and keep you going when you know you need to stop playing. Love it!

Any PA guys still playing on XBL?

I actually picked this up for the first time after putting my controller through the wall playing Blops. This is a much better game all around for me. I'm playing as a hunter, level 24 I think, with my roommate who rolled siren as well. If you want to play with us sometime that would be great! Be aware though, my roommate will run ahead and grab loot while I'm still shooting bad guys, so there's that. My gamertag is in the sig, send me a friend request anytime.

shorttimin on
    edited February 2011
    Just cleared the Salt Flats, but I am hanging around and milking the red boxes.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gotta say I'm not loving all the driving in knoxx. Also, shouldn't have waited to level 63 to do it, as now all the gear is around level 52...

envoy1 on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, Knoxx doesn't scale and really needs to be done in a couple of major sit downs. It isn't like the main game were playing a mission or two is no big deal because of fast travel.

So, Blast weapons....do they do extra damage on a critical? I'm missing what the point of that elemental type is otherwise.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
    edited February 2011
    Picked up my first shield with quick health today, but that is the only thing it has going for it. Now I need to trade my much more powerful shield with slow health to one with fast recharge.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
  • curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, Knoxx doesn't scale and really needs to be done in a couple of major sit downs. It isn't like the main game were playing a mission or two is no big deal because of fast travel.

So, Blast weapons....do they do extra damage on a critical? I'm missing what the point of that elemental type is otherwise.

they just do tons more base damage. a 400 dmg pistol will do X damage, fire/shock/acid will do damage Y over time, but if it's explosive, the damage is more like X times 50 or more.

roughly speaking. i pulled those numbers out of my ass :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • BotznoyBotznoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A question about class mods, Do the skill bonuses stack ontop of the 5/5 skill?

Botznoy on
    IZF2byN.jpg

Want to play co-op games? Feel free to hit me up!
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Botznoy wrote: »
    A question about class mods, Do the skill bonuses stack ontop of the 5/5 skill?

This was my assumption from having read the builds pages on the wikia, but interested to know if I'm wrong.

envoy1 on
    edited February 2011
    yes, they do. it's possible to get 8/5 or 9/5 in a class skill for redonkulous bonuses. :P

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    yes, they do. it's possible to get 8/5 or 9/5 in a class skill for redonkulous bonuses. :P
    90% damage resistance is pretty rad

OptimusZed on
    We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Gotta say I'm not loving all the driving in knoxx. Also, shouldn't have waited to level 63 to do it, as now all the gear is around level 52...

If you're on PC you can mod in one way teleports. I've linked it in this thread half a dozen times if you can't find it.

Xeddicus on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is there an up to date character builder that let's you add in skill points from Moxxi/Robolution?

Edit: The Knoxx fast travel mod is actually linked in the op.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

they just do tons more base damage. a 400 dmg pistol will do X damage, fire/shock/acid will do damage Y over time, but if it's explosive, the damage is more like X times 50 or more.

A 100 damage pistol will deal 100 damage to an enemy before modifiers. A 100 damage 1x Elemental pistol will deal 100 damage and have a chance to deal 100 more. 2x will deal 100 with a chance of doing 200 more, 3x is 300, and 4x is 400.

Each weapon has an internal reservoir of elemental 'power' that is expended whenever you get an elemental shot. The amount expended per elemental shot depends on the elemental multiplier; 2x takes twice as much as 1x, 3x takes three times as much as 1x, and 4x takes four times as much as 1x. I can't remember if this refills over time, or when you reload, but basically the lower the multiple, the more often it triggers. Launchers will always be elemental shots.

Corrosive, Fire, and Lightning guns will deal damage over time on an elemental hit, which is where the extra damage is dealt. Explosive guns deal all their damage instantly, and have a small area of effect.

Corrosive weapons deal additional damage to armored targets (skags, marines), Lightning deals extra damage to shields, and Fire deals extra damage to flesh(bandits, psychos); these weapons deal reduced damage (less than 100%) to any type they aren't specifically effective against. Explosive weapons deal the same damage to all armor types.

Carnarvon on
  • NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    elemental launchers also always have a x4 elemental rating

Nerdgasmic on
    edited February 2011
    Carnarvon wrote: »

A 100 damage pistol will deal 100 damage to an enemy before modifiers. A 100 damage 1x Elemental pistol will deal 100 damage and have a chance to deal 100 more. 2x will deal 100 with a chance of doing 200 more, 3x is 300, and 4x is 400.

Each weapon has an internal reservoir of elemental 'power' that is expended whenever you get an elemental shot. The amount expended per elemental shot depends on the elemental multiplier; 2x takes twice as much as 1x, 3x takes three times as much as 1x, and 4x takes four times as much as 1x. I can't remember if this refills over time, or when you reload, but basically the lower the multiple, the more often it triggers. Launchers will always be elemental shots.

Corrosive, Fire, and Lightning guns will deal damage over time on an elemental hit, which is where the extra damage is dealt. Explosive guns deal all their damage instantly, and have a small area of effect.

Corrosive weapons deal additional damage to armored targets (skags, marines), Lightning deals extra damage to shields, and Fire deals extra damage to flesh(bandits, psychos); these weapons deal reduced damage (less than 100%) to any type they aren't specifically effective against. Explosive weapons deal the same damage to all armor types.

thank you, that's just the type of specificity that was needed, and that i lacked <3

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    So is there an up to date character builder that let's you add in skill points from Moxxi/Robolution?

I just checked (because I want it, too) but I didn't see it anywhere. Got a link on you, or know where to look?

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    The wiki page actually does a good job of outlining it.

Explosives actually do 125% extra damage per x on a proc. So a x4 explosive is actually Weapon + 5x weapon damage in explosive.

This is why Ogres are the best gun in the game.

OptimusZed on

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
    edited February 2011
    brick has a number of abilities that make explosive weapons even better for him.

explosive is also very effective against bugs.

Nerdgasmic on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SoulGate wrote: »
    TNTrooper wrote: »

I just checked (because I want it, too) but I didn't see it anywhere. Got a link on you, or know where to look?
    OP wrote:
    PC Players Can Mod in Fast Travel

Some handy person on the GB forums created a mod for fast travel to the various Knoxx locations, here (aka teleport mod, oasis mod, knoxx hub mod).

:)

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Quick question, now that Borderlands GOTY is just $20 at Gamestop - is this game any good if you just play it single-player? Don't really have anyone to play the co-op with.

hottoq on
    edited April 2011
    hottoq wrote: »
    Quick question, now that Borderlands GOTY is just $20 at Gamestop - is this game any good if you just play it single-player? Don't really have anyone to play the co-op with.
    I have put literally hundreds of hours into single player Borderlands.

It's a different experience, but if you're motivated by shooting and looting it's a damn fine game.

OptimusZed on

edited April 2011
    I'd say it's worth 20 bucks, but don't expect too much without multiplayer

Nerdgasmic on
  • hottoqhottoq Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there much of a story to speak of?

hottoq on
    edited April 2011
    sort of

it's pretty subtle

there isn't a really cool plot with tons of drama and stuff, but the characters and humor are done very well, and the setting is neat

I highly recommend the general knoxx DLC, too, it's basically an expansion pack

Nerdgasmic on
  • SkutSkutSkutSkut Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    The story of borderlands is LOOT LOOT LOOT. Look at some of the fine loot we've shared in this thread. More beautiful than any story the game could offer.

SkutSkut on
  • RestartRestart Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    brick has a number of abilities that make explosive weapons even better for him.

explosive is also very effective against bugs.

PokéLands

utnw.png

Restart on
    spritesWalk.gif
  • ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Is there much of a story to speak of?
    There's some good humor here and there, but if you're hoping for an interesting story you'll be disappointed.

Arteen on
  • DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Nerdgasmic wrote: »
    sort of

it's pretty subtle

there isn't a really cool plot with tons of drama and stuff, but the characters and humor are done very well, and the setting is neat

I highly recommend the general knoxx DLC, too, it's basically an expansion pack

The game of the year comes with all the DLC. At 20 bucks that's a fine deal.

I just wish I had the version with the DLC on disc.

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    I have put literally hundreds of hours into single player Borderlands.

It's a different experience, but if you're motivated by shooting and looting it's a damn fine game.

Yep, me too. Literally hundreds of hours, mostly SP. Was just playing single player last night actually. I love hitting the first crystal caverns with a level 12.

YMMV but the single player is for me, on a scale of one to ten, fuckawesome.

There isn't more than the lightest framework of a story but there is some excellent characterization and atmosphere.

EDIT: This thread's been dormant for a long time so I'm going to hold off making a new one until I see whether we have more activity or if this was it.

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I still need to go back and beat all the DLC at some point. Got part-way through Knoxx and then got killed by the spider-walker things. Lost my drive to play after that.

Undead Scottsman on
    edited April 2011
    interesting fact: i just got like 5 different people to buy the PC version of borderlands and they're all having a blast. :D

curly haired boy on
    RxI0N.png
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2011
    I love the descent into madness that are Tannis' journals.

Also all my friends picked up the GOTY at GS for $20 and it's been a great time

Forever Zefiro on
    2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Odd. Out of nowhere my friend and I started playing this on Co-op again today! Playing as a brick....... not as fun as the siren.

urahonky on
    edited April 2011
    Rollin' rollin' rollin'

Get those shotguns rollin'

OptimusZed on