As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Help me pick a system for D&D turned into Space Opera!

TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Critical Failures
So I am running a D&D 4E game with a bunch of guys new to PnP RPGs. They are really enjoying it but I think we could use something to break up D&D a bit. I have this idea for running a concurrent game alongside our D&D campaign. They are all big science-fiction fans and they would love a chance to play a space opera game. Some of them used to play Star Wars d20 with me and the rest are into Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, etc. I am thinking of running a space game that uses my Novo Aether setting (huge amounts of material on it, ran several games here in CF). I would like to tweak it a bit though.

I want the space opera game to be basically the D&D world we are playing now 10,000 years into the future. I know it sounds like WH40K but the idea is that the D&D world evolved into our modern day world, but with the elves settling in Brazil, dwarves living in Mongolia, the orcs moving into the Middle East, etc. 500 years past that and we have the Terran races (humans, orcs, dwarves, elves, etc) moving into space and meeting all these alien races. Magic still exists but by now it has been heavily regulated and registered, so the players will be a hunted group, Jedi-analogies and other blatant rip-off. The players will play descendants of their current D&D group, who are now storied legends of mythology.

So to handle all of these settings (genetic engineering, aliens, robots, magic, spaceships and so on), I am looking at using GURPS simply because it has a ton of crap I can cobble together. I was also thinking of using Spirit of the Century's SRD to come up with something. I really don't want to have to create a ton of mechanics and it'd be better if it was simpler for the players to pick up. What do you guys recommend for a system that can handle running all this crap?

sig4.jpg
Talonrazor on

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GURPS works for basically anything.

D20 Modern also had a nicely streamlined system that might work, but it's pretty simplistic.

Rifts is ridiculously complicated (probably too complicated) but also has tons of awesome stuff in it.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    TalonrazorTalonrazor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    GURPS works for basically anything.

D20 Modern also had a nicely streamlined system that might work, but it's pretty simplistic.

Rifts is ridiculously complicated (probably too complicated) but also has tons of awesome stuff in it.

I ran d20 Future-based games before but wasn't too fond of it. Lots of number crunching for a not a lot of differentiation between characters.

Talonrazor on
    sig4.jpg
  • Options
    monkeyninjamonkeyninja Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Its less tactical than the other games, but I think the Mutants and Masterminds 3e can model a ton of stuff. Its a point buy game so you can build just about any kind of fictional race or ability. Plus it uses a variation on DnD 4e skill challenges that can work nicely for cool space chases through asteroid fields and such.

monkeyninja on
  • Options
    Radical AnsRadical Ans Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Savage Worlds + Slipstream may be just what the doctor ordered. Perhaps the Fantasy Companion as well.

Radical Ans on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Traveller? Originally it was literally Space D&D

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    D&D -> space opera = star wars saga edition!

desc on
  • Options
    NoxyNoxy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I second the use of the savage worlds system. The basic rules are cheap and very flexible. It also has great rules for large conflicts.

Noxy on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Do you know a system you do like, Talon (you traitor)

Warhammer 40K if you like that degree of grit and don't want to fuck around too much with the magic stuff.

Shadowrun + spaceships if you want a game that does technology + magic (with a lot of the technology about on par with the stuff from Novo Aether, at that, internet overlays and all)

Star Wars: Saga if you want a game that comes pre-loaded with d20 rules, magic, and pretty-much-irrelevant tech.

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Star Wars: Saga if you want a game that comes pre-loaded with d20 rules, magic, and pretty-much-irrelevant tech.

Ive made it work saga, just removing all the starwarsy flare. Since its d20 you can really just add/remove chunks as you see fit too. I found myself even throwing in a few 4e rules with it.

Also. Nice to see you again imposter

Unsalted on
  • Options
    INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unsalted wrote: »

ffuuuuUUUUUCCCCCKK YOOOOOOU

:x:x:x:x

INeedNoSalt on
  • Options
    Void SlayerVoid Slayer Very Suspicious Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You could also try Alternity, it is out of print but was basically somewhere between D&D 2.5 and 3rd edition in space. It has a point buy system similar to shadowrun for skills but was much more streamlined.

A more updated system though might be better, I played a few games with it and the combat can be fast for small groups but lags down. It has a detailed or guess system for bonuses so if you want to go fast and messy it can be okay.

Void Slayer on
    He's a shy overambitious dog-catcher on the wrong side of the law. She's an orphaned psychic mercenary with the power to bend men's minds. They fight crime!
  • Options
    UnsaltedUnsalted Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Unsalted wrote: »

ffuuuuUUUUUCCCCCKK YOOOOOOU

:x:x:x:x

<3

Unsalted on