As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MAGIC THE GATHERING IS FOR COOL PEOPLE

FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Social Entropy++
and you're dead

Let's talk magic : the gathering

magic is totally awesome, and the new set has been out for like two or three weeks, Mirrodin Besieged

last night I bought a mirrodin besieged premade and three boosters, and I pulled a mythic rare and a few other good rares that more or less paid me back for the whole thing, in concept, anyway. obviously premades suck ass, but with some tweaking, i think a white/red battlecry deck could be pretty rad, especially since it's based around metalcraft and i love artifacts.

it's awesome. but not as awesome as my buddy's fantastic squirrel deck, which is as yet unbeaten. dude is usually getting out 8-16 1/1 squirrel tokens by turn 6

he can even swarm a lifegain deck by dealing like 40 damage with a overrun and 20 squirrels

do you dicks play magic

how do you feel about slivers

reposig.jpg
Fandyien on

• Options
    NinjaSquirrelNinjaSquirrel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best things to do with squirrels is squirrels nest + earthcraft. Get infinite squirrels by turn 3. I played with that in an enchantment based legacy deck for awhile.

NinjaSquirrel on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a friend who would use parallel evolution plus a bunch of squirrel tokens to pretty much kill any deck. It was way back when all of use were pretty bad at the game though so im not suprised it did so well.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    holy shit i gotta tell my buddy about that

he will love it

also that squirrel deck hasn't lost to five or six $250 decks

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I play my giant wad of cash which means I win

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dark Ritual + Engineered Plague

do they even have dark ritual anymore? I think the last time I played was like, 2004.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    ultimakayultimakay Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    dark ritual hasnt been printed in a long long time but its still legal in the old formats i think.

ultimakay on
    hLeTR.png
  • Options
    cybrid81cybrid81 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Phyrexian Processor + Angelic Chorus

First two rares I got when I started playing. Those were fun times.

cybrid81 on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh god.

How many new rules came out in the last month?

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wren wrote: »

this has not been true for like 10 years

PiptheFair on
  • Options
    NewtronNewtron Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Burn decks and goblin decks. I tried to make a white deck once, but ended up hating it and sold all my white cards to focus on my black deck that had a phyrexian colossus/voltaic key combo. Then I stopped playing Magic and had money again.

Also this one time some dude played a Sara Avatar with a spirit link attached. That guy and his deck were real dicks. Counter-spells fucking everywhere.

Newtron on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i should really play this more often

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    PiptheFair wrote: »
    Wren wrote: »

this has not been true for like 10 years

coincidentally thats also when I stopped playing

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a love/hate relationship with slivers. I love them when they're in my deck. Otherwise fuck em.

Also, dark ritual drain decks. That was my shit. Many years ago.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I had a goblin deck that was fun, when I remembered how to play this game

I had some card that made all goblins +2/+2 after you'd summoned 5 or more after putting it down

I had goblins that let you summon other goblins for free if you dealt player damage

I had goblins that could shit goblin tokens everywhere (these tokens also got the +2/+2)

Every time I got a forfeit because I just put down like five 3/3 goblin tokens in addition to the 4/3 creatures already out, I smiled

I smiled

Ledneh on
  • Options
    dougyfreshdougyfresh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a magic junky. Currently playing a bunch of legacy decks, U/B ANT, countertop, goblins, merfolk. Countertop is my favorite by far. Playing jace, counterbalance, and SDT is so evil and fun >:D

dougyfresh on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    and everyone you play against with countertop hates you

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    MereHappenstanceMereHappenstance Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ledneh wrote: »
    I had a goblin deck that was fun, when I remembered how to play this game

I had some card that made all goblins +2/+2 after you'd summoned 5 or more after putting it down

I had goblins that let you summon other goblins for free if you dealt player damage

I had goblins that could shit goblin tokens everywhere (these tokens also got the +2/+2)

Every time I got a forfeit because I just put down like five 3/3 goblin tokens in addition to the 4/3 creatures already out, I smiled

I smiled

I ate people like you for breakfast back when pestilence was allowed.

Now I am a but a shadow of a man. My glory days long past.

MereHappenstance on
  • Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My buddy Tommy has done insane things with a Squirrel deck.

He's also got a crazy Sliver deck which is pretty amusing.

I like to play with his soldier deck, though it seems to always backfire on me.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love White Weenie.

Orim's Chant is the best cockblocker card out there.

"What's that, your crazy combo was gonna go off this turn?"

"Oops."

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    SoaLSoaL fantastic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a white deck that is all about getting tens of soldier tokens out and beefing them up with stuff like captain of the watch and eldrazi monument

I had one game where I had ~80 5/5 flying indestructable vigilance motherfuckers but my friend had a friggen platinum angel out

and of course I don't run any removal because I'm a person who is pure of heart

I dragged it out for like 45 minutes anyways. My turns became: draw, look at hand, look at field, "I swing for uh... like 300 something", "sure, my go??"

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also making a blue/black deck where I just threw every rare that did something exciting in was my best decision re: magic

casting time stretch with rebound

somehow losing after those 4 extra turns

aww yeah

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only successful deck I ever built was my bog imp deck.

Bog imps, howl from beyond, dark ritual, swamps.

So not tournament legal but I ruled desperate nerds at the game store when nobody else was around to play them.

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    MeckMeck Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Big spells are the best.

Nothing like ramping into a huge Genesis Wave to flip your entire deck of dudes on an opponent.

Or maybe dropping a Maelstrom Nexus and cascading off a Darksteel Colossus into something equally dumb.

Better yet, you could play an Insurrection at 1 life to steal all of their Slivers and win.

Meck on
  • Options
    the cheatthe cheat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    what the fuck, squirrels, jesus christ, this fucking game.

the cheat on
    tKfL2Yd.png?1
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've only done one besieged draft so far (and it was a weird triple besieged one for the release event), but it really feels like it has a lot less artifacts than scars. It's going to be a lot harder to draft metalcraft in this new environment.

Luckily, super fast infect has taken a hit too, with the only two mana infect guy being Flensermite (can you think of a better ability to have on a 1/1 infect dude than lifelink?). Once I'm back in a magic playing city, it'll be fun to see how Besieged/scars/scars turns out as a format.

Edit: you also only get 2/3 of the untamed mights. That's great. Fuck untamed might. A common should not lead to as many "oops, I win" scenarios as that

Starcross on
  • Options
    Big Red TieBig Red Tie beautiful clydesdale style feet too hot to trotRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i did a triple besieged draft and ended up with mono blue (3x vedalken anatomist + mirran spies, oculuss + vivisections etc)

it was a weird draft (i didn't run white sun's zenith)

Big Red Tie on
    3926 4292 8829
    Beasteh wrote: »
    *おなら*
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    i did a triple besieged draft and ended up with mono blue (3x vedalken anatomist + mirran spies, oculuss + vivisections etc)

it was a weird draft (i didn't run white sun's zenith)

Vedalken Anatomist is so good. Other than a few rare bombs, I'm not sure there's anything I'd pick over it.

Starcross on
  • Options
    VaregaVarega Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    nothing like going B/G in sealed with the new set. B/G infect, phyrexian crusader, piston sledge, vatmother, 2 go for the throats, and virulent wound.

Varega on
    League of Legends:Varega
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mirrodin Besieged doesn't really have enough artifacts, that is da twuf

A substantial portion of the stuff in this metalcraft/battlecry premade is scars stuff

Fandyien on
    reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wait no i take back my "best deck"

my best deck is channel+emrakul

SoaL on
    DKFA7.gif
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I play white with some Wall of Reverence, Exalted creatures, Emerias and some cradles of life.

Throw in some Day of Judgements/Planar cleansing and it makes for interesting times.

I was able to summon an avatar with 1k health at some point. Good times.

Meiz on
  • Options
    nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    SoaL wrote: »
    wait no i take back my "best deck"

my best deck is channel+emrakul

this is like

antifun

though i'd laugh the first time you pull it off

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic the gathering was fun, but I was never the best it (partly because I never had the best cards) and I stopped playing forever ago

I went to a release draft thing for mirrodin (or maybe it was kamigawa?) way back when, and that was fun. I should see if there is another one of those coming up or something.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    Magic the gathering was fun, but I was never the best it (partly because I never had the best cards) and I stopped playing forever ago

I went to a release draft thing for mirrodin (or maybe it was kamigawa?) way back when, and that was fun. I should see if there is another one of those coming up or something.

You just missed Mirrodin besieged, which came out last month.

The next set [Mirrodin Pure or New Phyrexia] has its prerelease at the start of may.

Starcross on
  • Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I got a Thrun recently and my friend told me it was worth 17 bucks. That was a pleasant surprise.

SLyM on
    My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love magic as a game but I'm not competitive or rich enough to want to play it with anyone but casual players.

And Magic tends to lack casual players

I did used to play with a fun red/blue Izzet deck a few years back though

Wee Dragonauts, Gelectrodes, Niv-Mizzet and a bunch of card draw/burn/wierd-ass spells I liked the look of

If I got it set up, It was like "OK, I tap, Gelectrode and hit you for one. Then I play Gigadrowse, tap your blockers and then tap gelectrode again for another one to you, then I play Schizmotivate to give Wee Dragonauts +4 making them a 9/3 with flying, hit you for nine, tap gelectrode again for another one."

If the deck went well I could do that kind of thing every turn. It's probably nothing compared to hardcore tournament decks but I found the red/blue theme lots of fun to play with.

Solar on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    I love magic as a game but I'm not competitive or rich enough to want to play it with anyone but casual players.

And Magic tends to lack casual players

Yeah, I'm too lazy to crunch numbers and look for the perfect deck and I wouldn't want to use a deck someone else came up with because that's lame. So I just play with my friends or do drafts and swiss sealed tournaments online.

I actually don't play the physical game anymore except with a couple of friends, and I only use one of three premade sliver decks that they still can't beat, even with their decks with new cards and knowing exactly what I have in my decks, because I'm a fucking douche. :D

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    When I was a kid we used to club together and buy pre-mades, then basically own the decks between us, buying booster packs together and upgrading the decks as a group. Each game people would just be like "OK, I want to use this deck today"

That turned out to be the most fun way of playing, because it wasn't about construction so much (we constructed together) but the game. Also we played a lot of multiplayer games, three players, two vs two, man those games were great fun.

Solar on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, the buddies I play the physical game with don't buy a lot of new cards either so we play the same decks a lot together.

One of them did buy an Archenemy set and that was a lot of fun, though 2v1 isn't very fair. We want to try 3v1, we might win that way.

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a love/hate relationship with slivers. I love them when they're in my deck. Otherwise fuck em.

Also, dark ritual drain decks. That was my shit. Many years ago.

slivers are fun and my favorite

but they make horrendous competition decks

PiptheFair on