As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Expo hall map!

2»

• lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is irrational games going to bring anything hands on for Bioshock Infinite? i know theyre doing a panel but theyre not on the expo list (unless its under 2k) <3 all things bioshock

I was wondering the same thing. Last year 2k's booth had Mafia, Bioshock 2 and Civilization V so it's definitely possible some of the Irrational guys will have a place at the 2k booth. I hope so.

lillb on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    To get an idea for how gigantic the BCEC is, watch the virtual tour here: http://www.advantageboston.com/FlashTour/photo_tour.htm

zerzhul on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wtf is Zombie Ear Gear?

I tried to Google search it but not pulling up any results for a company called that.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    wtf is Zombie Ear Gear?

I tried to Google search it but not pulling up any results for a company called that.

I found a facebook page for them:
    http://www.facebook.com/ZombieEarGEAR

Looks like they sell earbuds

lillb on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lillb wrote: »
    wtf is Zombie Ear Gear?

I found a facebook page for them:
    http://www.facebook.com/ZombieEarGEAR

Looks like they sell earbuds

Ah, nice find. I figured it was something to do with headphones. :)

Rdr on
  • ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know if they are going to have food vendors inside the expo hall like they did last year? It was a huge timesaver to have somewhere to eat without leaving PAX.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aryman wrote: »
    Anyone know if they are going to have food vendors inside the expo hall like they did last year? It was a huge timesaver to have somewhere to eat without leaving PAX.

There's a foodcourt inside the convention center but I dunno about vendors inside the hall itself.

It's not a tumor on
  • ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aryman wrote: »

There's a foodcourt inside the convention center but I dunno about vendors inside the hall itself.

Nice, as long as it's nearby.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »
    To get an idea for how gigantic the BCEC is, watch the virtual tour here: http://www.advantageboston.com/FlashTour/photo_tour.htm

Wow - I've been down by the BCEC before, but never inside of it. That thing's HUGE! Can't wait to see how they set everything up in there . . .

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• LelldorianxLelldorianx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What's the size comparison between PAX Prime in 2010 and PAX East this year? Looks like the physical floor space is really catching up to Prime, which is great news!

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited February 2011
    PAX East 2011's expo hall is larger than the PAX Prime 2010 expo hall.

David Coffman on
    edited February 2011
    I believe the BCEC has almost double the WSCTC expo space

edit: check that, over double.

zerzhul on
    edited February 2011
    WOW! :O That is insane. I know what I'll be thinking about for the next 2.5 weeks (and at least a few weeks thereafter)!

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
  • CabadrinCabadrin Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This map is full of win.

Standouts for me are Valve (gotta get my copy of Raising the Bar signed), Bethesda (zomg Skyrim), and Geek Chic. Geek Chic had some truly excellent gaming tables last year, so I may be tampted to part ways with money from them this year.

Also, I have been to the BCEC - it is indeed much larger than the Hynes. If this is the full exhibit floor, it will be several hundred thousand square feet of space. Definitely looking forward to this.

Cabadrin on
    e2TtnRd.png
  • MateomanMateoman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow! Never been into the BCEC before... It looks phenomenal! Lots to look forward to here...

Although, where's Digital Press? I actually just called their store this week and they told me they'd be there, but no mention of them on this map. Any idea if there will be something akin to the hallway vendors at PAX East 2010 that just wouldn't show up on this map?

Mateoman on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    Parmaynu wrote: »
    Planning my vendor route already!

How can you do that if you don't know where the entrance is?
    Do you know where the entrance is? I don't see it on the map. Is it the two staircases?

Yep, I just assumed the staircases were the entrances and it looks like that's been confirmed now.
    Frugus wrote: »
    Parmaynu wrote: »
    Planning my vendor route already!

It does look like there are going to be a few (more?) booths where you can buy stuff, other than the usual merch you can find with certain publishers. I guess there will be a few places to spend some dough!

Also - I'm from Montreal too :)

Hi! I'm actually here as an exchange student from the UK, but I love this place! You have a beautiful city. :)

I think I'm gonna need a bigger bag looking at all these booths.

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna get lost trying to get between Pokemon and Valve :<

My reaction was initially pretty much the same as Propriety's before I realized that I almost got lost in last year's expo hall, and then saw the comparison of sizes.

On the flip side, this will be the best place to get lost EVAR.

RainbowTunnel on
    edited February 2011
    I'm gonna get lost trying to get between Pokemon and Valve :<

My reaction was initially pretty much the same as Propriety's before I realized that I almost got lost in last year's expo hall, and then saw the comparison of sizes.

On the flip side, this will be the best place to get lost EVAR.

Yea I'm excited I'll actually have 3 days to explore it this year. Last year I only went on the Sunday and I saw most of it but I didn't do much else, like see any panels or spend time in any of the freeplay rooms.

lillb on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, so if we were to overlay the expo floor onto the full layout floor from the link from It's Not A Tumor, does that mean that BCEC's Exhibit Hall B is the Queue room, and Exhibit Halls A and C are the Merman Theater and Expo Floor? Which is which?

Gang, we have another mystery on our hands... let's split up and look for clues!

I look like Shaggy a bit, so *ahem*...

ZOINKS!

No. The Exhibit area is the entire "Exhibit Level" (bottom level) of the BCEC. It fits right over top of the lower floor plan exactly. http://www.advantageboston.com/BCEC/floorplans/BCECExhibitLevel.pdf

Yea and the Merman theater is 052 which is in the lower left of that map where it says southeast pre-function

A) Shutuuuuuuuuuuup.

B) HOLY F**KIN SH*T CHRIST GEEZUS I'm not really what you would call a hardcore gamer, and if that is really the case, I think I may have an aneurysm upon entering.

feitocomfruta on
  • GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow that expo hall is impressive. I think it is at the size now where it might warrant also having a directory that lists the booths by category. Thought of this when trying to pick out which tabletop companies has made their way into the main hall.

Gundabad on
  • danielofthekingsdanielofthekings Silver Spring, MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Caldvan wrote: »
    This is an approximate comparison of the Hynes expo hall and the expo hall at the BCEC.

So this is what I have come to, just the 3 Expo areas alone at the BCEC are 162,000 to 184,000sq ft in size. THAT IS HUGE! Both of the combined expo halls at the Haynes Convention center totaled to 74,000sq ft. That means that in comparison (with the image below) the Haynes Expo hall (seen in red) is only as big as half of just one of the expo halls. I cant wait to walk through this hall this year! AHHH EXCITED!
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59840328@N04/5467562431/][img]http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5100/5467562431_2b7162a0a2.jpg[/img][/url]
    [url=http://www.flickr.com/photos/59840328@N04/5467562431/]Expo hall[/url] by [url=http://www.flickr.com/people/59840328@N04/]danielofthekings[/url], on Flickr

danielofthekings on
  • mykeyIImykeyII Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm not 100% sure we've got the scale figured out right.

If you look at the BCEC floor plan of the first level and turn the expo hall map 90 degrees counter-clockwise, I think you can get the expo hall to line up in the footprint of Exhibit Hall A (take a look at the little notch area where the indie area is, and at the position of the staircases).

This would make the hall about 170,000 sq feet (still HUGE!) and would leave the other two Exhibit Halls for the Queue Room.

Of course, I maybe wrong about this, but I suspect that's how things will line up.

Also: so PSYCHED!

mykeyII on
    edited February 2011
    mykeyII wrote: »

If you look at the BCEC floor plan of the first level and turn the expo hall map 90 degrees counter-clockwise, I think you can get the expo hall to line up in the footprint of Exhibit Hall A (take a look at the little notch area where the indie area is, and at the position of the staircases).

This would make the hall about 170,000 sq feet (still HUGE!) and would leave the other two Exhibit Halls for the Queue Room.

Of course, I maybe wrong about this, but I suspect that's how things will line up.

I agree, the shape of where indie alley is and where those stairs/escalators fall makes it work that way. As you said just A is 170,000 sq ft. where as the total of the expo hall from the Hynes last year was 74,000 that's almost 100,000 sq ft bigger than last year. If they had all 3 exhibition halls it would be 516,000 sq ft which is just insanity.

Another possiblity is that they took half the whole expo space which would be 292,000 sq ft which is pretty insane. So either way we're gonna have a huge space on our hands.

lillb on
    edited February 2011

I agree, the shape of where indie alley is and where those stairs/escalators fall makes it work that way. As you said just A is 170,000 sq ft. where as the total of the expo hall from the Hynes last year was 74,000 that's almost 100,000 sq ft bigger than last year. If they had all 3 exhibition halls it would be 516,000 sq ft which is just insanity.

Another possiblity is that they took half the whole expo space which would be 292,000 sq ft which is pretty insane. So either way we're gonna have a huge space on our hands.

Considering that the Prime Expo hall used almost all the available 200000+ sq ft of the WSCTC and it has already been confirmed that East will be using more than that, I think it's safe to say that even if they are not using the 500000+ sq feet of the BCEC floor, they are at least using around half. I'm honestly not sure what floor plan they could be using though if they are using more than Exhibit space A and still have the shape that's being presented in the exhibit hall map. It might be nice if we could get someone official to tell us how the "exhibit map" lays on the floor plan of the BCEC.

zerzhul on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Considering that the Prime Expo hall used almost all the available 200000+ sq ft of the WSCTC and it has already been confirmed that East will be using more than that, I think it's safe to say that even if they are not using the 500000+ sq feet of the BCEC floor, they are at least using around half. I'm honestly not sure what floor plan they could be using though if they are using more than Exhibit space A and still have the shape that's being presented in the exhibit hall map. It might be nice if we could get someone official to tell us how the "exhibit map" lays on the floor plan of the BCEC.

Based on the placement of the escalators and indie alley, the map overlays on exhibit hall A.

MagnifiedX on
    edited February 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »

Based on the placement of the escalators and indie alley, the map overlays on exhibit hall A.

Yeah, that does make sense, but then how is it bigger than Prime's expo space? Did Prime not count the skybridge portion in its square footage?

zerzhul on
    edited February 2011
    Well, I've never been to prime, but I've seen the maps. If I had to guess, due to the spread-out and non-symmetrical space restrictions of Prime, there's probably a lot of space in that square footage thats unusable. The setup of the BCEC probably allows for more overall show space given the square footage available, leading to a larger expo floor.

But thats just a guess.

MagnifiedX on
  • diecastbeatdowndiecastbeatdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I needed a spreadsheet friendly list of exhibitors for my time management.. here it is if anyone wants it.
    ][ Games I - 9
    2K Games 950, 936
    8-Bit Cubist 962
    Aksys Games Localization, Inc. I - 14
    Alienware Powered By Intel 436
    Antec 712
    ASUS 236
    Autumn Games 750
    Battleground Games & Hobbies 263
    Becker College 118
    Beckett Media 136
    Bethesda 1024
    Beyond Gaming LLC 1119
    Blazing Bit Games I-13
    Calibur11 358
    Capcom Entertainment, Inc. 1111
    Cardhaus Games 658
    Chessex 1112
    Computer Power User Magazine 661
    Cooler Master 506, 612
    Corsair Components 525
    Cryptozoic Entertainment 756
    CyberPower Inc. 132
    D3 Publisher of America, Inc. 470
    Demiurge Studios 1130
    Devolver Digital I - 4
    Digital Interactive 112
    Dolby 312
    Don Gusano Games Inc. I - 8
    Eagl3 1137
    Electronic Arts 1156, 1012
    Electronic Arts 1018, 1136
    Electronic Arts 912
    EVGA 527
    Fangamer LLC 1143
    Fantasy Flight Games 556
    Fire Hose Games 1133
    Foam Brain Games 806
    G4TV 961
    Galaxy Microsystems 514
    Game Underground 860
    Gamesville 142
    Gaming Etc. 262
    Geek chic 156
    Gigabyte 531
    Gunnar Optiks 816
    Halfbrick Studios Pty. Ltd. 1060
    Harmonix 716
    Haunted Temple 760
    iBUYPOWER 624
    IGN Entertainment 1150
    IN WIN Development 1139
    iRacing.com 369
    Kalypso Media USA Inc. 258
    Kaupang Studios I - 3
    Kingston Technology 244
    Logitech 344
    Mad Catz, Inc. 812
    Maingear Corp 630
    Maphook 144
    Mayfair Games Inc. 960
    MEGA64.COM 1149
    Microsoft 736, 836
    Microsoft 850
    Moonshot Games, LLC 759
    MSI Computer Inc 1124
    N-Control 1014
    New England Institute of Art 1159
    Newegg.com / Rosewill 352
    Nexon via Ayzenberg Group 1050, 536
    Nintendo of America Inc 412
    NVIDIA 524, 618
    NVIDIA 3D Photo Booth 517
    NZXT 614
    Oni Press 124
    Palit Microsystems 518
    Patriot Memory 512
    PNY Technologies 251
    Pokemon 336
    Red 5 Studios 452
    Robot Entertainment 761
    Rockstar Games 924
    Rooster Teeth Productions 1153
    Sacred Heart University 140
    Senario LLC 606
    SilverStone Technology 513
    Singapore MIT - GAMBIT 1123
    Ska Studios LLC 607
    Smirk and Dagger Games 154
    Sony 212
    SRRN Games I - 5
    StarCityGames.com 651
    Sudden Impact 148
    Supergiant Games 724
    The Behemoth 550
    The Gaming Invasion 561
    The Guildhall at SMU 605
    The Tap Lab I - 10
    THQ 956
    Tin Man Games I - 11
    Torn Banner Studios I - 15
    Trapdoor 1118
    Turtle Beach 730
    Tweak Footwear 128
    Twisted Pixel Games, LLC 723
    Uber Entertainment inc. 560
    Ubisoft Entertainment 824
    Udon Entertainment 124
    Utilikits 562
    UTV Ignition & True Games 1056
    Valve Software 1036
    VIDEO GAMES NEW YORK 153
    Wacom Technology 130
    WB / Turbine 424
    Western Digital 350
    Wizards Of The Coast 636, 648
    Wooden Pixel I - 7
    XtendPlay 150
    yyrGames 707
    Zalman USA 1131
    Zombie Ear Gear 1141
    ZOTAC USA 520, 1129

diecastbeatdown on
  • StrikerObiStrikerObi Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm hoping that the expo hall is a lot bigger than last year's was. I'm also concerned that the Nintendo booth looks awfully small. I'm hoping it isn't a repeat of last year's pathetic excuse for a 'booth' (DS only, with 5 or 6 demo stations with awful games at all of them). Just look at the size of Microsoft's booth space, it's about 6x bigger than Nintendo's (or Sony's). I'm assuming some of that is probably devoted to PC but still, that is a ton of space.

Nintendo and Sony are awfully big companies, so seeing that their booths are so small (half the size of the show store) and about the same size as companies I have never even heard of (Cryptozoic?) and indie developers (The Behemoth) worries me.

Also what's up with EA being all over the place rather than in one spot? I'm assuming each of their booths will have a different game at it, rather than consolidating them into one super-booth like Microsoft looks to be doing.

StrikerObi on
    edited February 2011
    StrikerObi wrote: »
    I'm hoping that the expo hall is a lot bigger than last year's was. I'm also concerned that the Nintendo booth looks awfully small. I'm hoping it isn't a repeat of last year's pathetic excuse for a 'booth' (DS only, with 5 or 6 demo stations with awful games at all of them). Just look at the size of Microsoft's booth space, it's about 6x bigger than Nintendo's (or Sony's). I'm assuming some of that is probably devoted to PC but still, that is a ton of space.

Nintendo and Sony are awfully big companies, so seeing that their booths are so small (half the size of the show store) and about the same size as companies I have never even heard of (Cryptozoic?) and indie developers (The Behemoth) worries me.

Also what's up with EA being all over the place rather than in one spot? I'm assuming each of their booths will have a different game at it, rather than consolidating them into one super-booth like Microsoft looks to be doing.

Expo hall comparison, as posted earlier in this thread:
    This is an approximate comparison of the Hynes expo hall and the expo hall at the BCEC.

MagnifiedX on
    edited February 2011
    I'm hoping that the expo hall is a lot bigger than last year's was. I'm also concerned that the Nintendo booth looks awfully small. I'm hoping it isn't a repeat of last year's pathetic excuse for a 'booth' (DS only, with 5 or 6 demo stations with awful games at all of them).[...]

I don't know about what Nintendo will have, but I did want to note that you shouldn't get too hung up on one booth. Don't let something like that bug you too much, PAX is a very large event that should transcend brand loyalty :)

Lelldorianx on
    Editor @ GamersNexus.net
    edited February 2011
    I'm hoping that the expo hall is a lot bigger than last year's was. I'm also concerned that the Nintendo booth looks awfully small. I'm hoping it isn't a repeat of last year's pathetic excuse for a 'booth' (DS only, with 5 or 6 demo stations with awful games at all of them).[...]

I don't know about what Nintendo will have, but I did want to note that you shouldn't get too hung up on one booth. Don't let something like that bug you too much, PAX is a very large event that should transcend brand loyalty :)

Oh I'm not super hung-up on it or anything and I'm going to enjoy PAX regardless. I'm just afraid that if they do have 3DS units there (and they should given that it releases shortly after PAX) that there will be MOBS of people waiting to play them. I figured Nintendo would be going all out at PAX since it is sort of the de-facto coming-out party for the 3DS.

I'm hoping that it's not mobbed because I'll be speaking at the show and our panel (Radio Free Nintendo Live) will obviously be talking about the 3DS. Here's hoping my speaker badge can get me in to the show early enough so I don't have to wait to play, because that would be a pain given how much time I have at the show.

StrikerObi on
  • CaldvanCaldvan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Going by the expo map, the Nintendo booth is about 34 ft x 34 ft. That's ~1150 ft^2 of Nintendo for you.

Caldvan on
    [E]
  • LosarLosar Thane Vector, Rock Star Tucson, AZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sweet! We're next to Mega 64 again this year!

Party at the booth, in the aisle, and up the walls. This is going to be fun.

Losar on
    Isn't that informative!? Hooray!!
  • David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited February 2011
    MagnifiedX wrote: »
    This is correct.

David Coffman on
    edited February 2011
    Going by the expo map, the Nintendo booth is about 34 ft x 34 ft. That's ~1150 ft^2 of Nintendo for you.

But how big was last year's? I definitely wasn't 34x34 so that's a good sign. I just hope it's not over-crowded since it seems like 3DS will be a big deal.

PS Nice Sam Adams tasting glass avatar. We went there (twice!) last year and will be going back this year.

StrikerObi on
  • ZombieEarGEARZombieEarGEAR Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    wtf is Zombie Ear Gear?

Yep, we sell custom molded earbuds that can attach to your bluetooth headsets for gaming, along with other fun stuff. See you all there!

ZombieEarGEAR on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    wtf is Zombie Ear Gear?

Yep, we sell custom molded earbuds that can attach to your bluetooth headsets for gaming, along with other fun stuff. See you all there!

And being the audiology nerd that I am, I APPROVE OF THIS SO HARD. I studied speech path and audiology in college, so a group that does custom molding earbuds is awesome.

feitocomfruta on