As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PrePrePax: Tuesday Evening Hangout (March 8th) - JJ Foleys, Kingston St @ 5:30PM

RdrRdr RiderRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Alright! So a few of us are arriving in Boston early and why not hang out and meet each other?

WHEN: March 8th at 5:30PM until whenever you leave

WHERE: J.J. Foleys Bar & Grille
21 Kingston Street, Boston, MA 02111
(617) 695-2529 ‎
jjfoleysbarandgrill.com

WHY: Child please.

Old Post
UPDATE
Right the plan is to hang in the Westin lobby and play games. Probably from 4-5pm until late.

Hey there!

Are you going to be in Boston earlier then everyone else? Me too! Turns out so are a few others.

We should hang. Get a beer and maybe play some games.

Let me know if you're going to be in town and what you'd like to do or go eat. Boston locals are welcome, of course.

Rdr on

• peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will definitely be there to hang with ya late that night. Mayhapse you change it to the PrePaxSetupParty?

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm thinking dinner, drinks and some hotel lobby gaming or something.

I'd change it to that peetsnack but then it'd seem it was a party for enforcers but its just for whomever wants to get together.

Rdr on
  • BackwoodsBackwoods Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I live in Boston and would definitely be up for hanging with you dudes pre-PAX!

Backwoods on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hum, interesting :)
    Just so happens I'll be in town one evening earlier because of the Pre-PAX Dinner, however there were no set plans after that and it seems like most people will rush off to the pub crawls, which we won't join.

My problem is this: We told each other that the evening would be the best time to check out Boston a bit, because we learned last year there was no way we could play tourist as long as PAX was running. Then again, we may be dead tired after the dinner, etc... Who knows.

What I'm saying is that if it were just up to me I would totally be in for something, but I'll have to wait and see if the occasion arieses :) Hope there's going to be a way for me to check in at the very last minute.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frugus, it sounds like you're coming in on Thursday and we're talking about a Tuesday night meetup in this thread.

Rdr and peet, you are both aware that I will be around that night. I don't know that I want to go out for dinner (my budget is getting stretched), but I'm down for some gaming and general hanging out.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hi. I live here! And I would totes love to hang out with you guys pre-pre-pre-PAX. Especially you guys. :)

What kind of cool stuff were you looking to do? I'm pretty much an almanac of all the hidden Boston native spots. If you want to try some restos or bars outside of the downtown-stomping ground, I could have you all home before bedtime. (I work Wednesday downtown, so I have to be home at a relatively decent hour, too).

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • peetsnackpeetsnack Team Green Poké Assist, Lord Commander of the Night's Watch, Head Girl House Hufflepuff The Cleave LandsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    K, I already know we are going to have a totally awesome time. I will be up for anything you all would be interested in. My only limitation is that you all will probably have to start without me, as I do not expect to arrive until 10pmish.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
    edited February 2011
    If you guys like cocktails (expensive ones, but super good ones), Drink is about a 10 minute walk from the convention center. It's pretty hard to get a seat there during peak but if anyone is interested in hitting it up with me Tuesday (and/or maybe Wednesday) they make some really friggin' awesome house-made ginger beer. I love going out on Tuesdays and Wednesdays and I'm open to anything.

I also know how to get anywhere in the city, so if you're looking for something super-niche (especially when it comes to food) I'm up for the challenge.

Ideaz: http://www.foodspotting.com/jujukoo

EDIT: Punzie is coming to everything on Tuesday that we decide to plan and she has no choice in the matter.

juju on
    [E]
  • MxWoodMxWood Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I work till 5 on Tuesday but I would be around if people were doing some sort of dinner/drinks thing, its either that or i'd head home and probably play starcraft.

MxWood on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd definitely be willing to come out for this!

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I may be in for this as well - I'm working until 5 out in Billerica, but can probably make it downtown by a reasonable hour.

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited February 2011
    Khadour wrote: »
    I may be in for this as well - I'm working until 5 out in Billerica, but can probably make it downtown by a reasonable hour.

If you don't want to waste money driving, the 352 bus goes between Burlington and downtown near State Station (not very far from another bus that will drop you off at the convention center). It goes inbound until 9ish and outbound until 6. You can get back on the Red Line to Alewife and the 350/351 will take you back towards the mall as well. The 350's last run leaves Alewife a bit after 10 pm :)

The 351/352 (express) buses are ~$6 round trip and the 350 is a regular fare. I discovered the existence of these buses when going out to Burlington for job training. A lot of my customers downtown take em in and out to work, too.

Also, if you DO plan on driving in, I can point you to a garage in my work building that charges $2/hr that you should have no problem parking at if you plan to arrive around dinnertime. (From there, it's a >15 min. walk to the convention center, but it's in the heart of downtown.)

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    I just realized....this gives me an excuse to harass my father at work on Tuesday..cause i can walk next door to the Convention Center.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    edited February 2011
    After thinking about this I think 10-20 of us hanging at the Westin in the evening and playing games would be great.

They have a restaurant there and I'm sure we can drink in the lobby. I'll have Munchkin, Zombie/Cthulhu Dice and Punzie will have Zombie Dice and another game I can't remember off the top of my head.

Does anyone know if its cool with Westin? I recall someone calling some hotels for the gaming nights thread but I don't want to search that thread right now haha.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Thursday's gaming night is at the Westin, so I think they must be okay with a group of us congregating there.

I have Zombie Dice and Ascension. I'd rather not have to pack Ascension. It's not huge, but space is precious. If someone expresses interest I'll bring, but otherwise I'm leaving it at home.

There's a Boston area PAXers group on Facebook. Should I post something there about our little get-together and invite some of those peeps?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    There's a Boston area PAXers group on Facebook. Should I post something there about our little get-together and invite some of those peeps?

Up to you. :) I'll probably show up about 4-5 and stay till around 11 so I can take the T back.

Rdr on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    punzie wrote: »
    Frugus, it sounds like you're coming in on Thursday and we're talking about a Tuesday night meetup in this thread.

Rdr and peet, you are both aware that I will be around that night. I don't know that I want to go out for dinner (my budget is getting stretched), but I'm down for some gaming and general hanging out.

Damn it!

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • H2O ShoagieH2O Shoagie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I won't be there until Wednesday but I think I am banned from playing Zombie Dice after my one game of it in Seattle.

H2O Shoagie on
    edited February 2011
    I won't be there until Wednesday but I think I am banned from playing Zombie Dice after my one game of it in Seattle.

Now THAT sounds like a story...

Frugus, definitely check out the pre-PAX game night thread. There will be a bunch a people gaming it up in the Westin Thursday night.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    juju wrote: »

If you don't want to waste money driving, the 352 bus goes between Burlington and downtown near State Station (not very far from another bus that will drop you off at the convention center). It goes inbound until 9ish and outbound until 6. You can get back on the Red Line to Alewife and the 350/351 will take you back towards the mall as well. The 350's last run leaves Alewife a bit after 10 pm :)

The 351/352 (express) buses are ~$6 round trip and the 350 is a regular fare. I discovered the existence of these buses when going out to Burlington for job training. A lot of my customers downtown take em in and out to work, too.

Also, if you DO plan on driving in, I can point you to a garage in my work building that charges $2/hr that you should have no problem parking at if you plan to arrive around dinnertime. (From there, it's a >15 min. walk to the convention center, but it's in the heart of downtown.)
    I actually live in Lexington, so am far more likely to take the 76 to Alewife if I choose to go the T route. Realistically, a game night in the lobby may well run until after the T stops, and there's night parking down near the Westin for about $10 during the week (if I recall), so it's not much worse than just parking at Alewife. We'll see what I'm feeling like doing and play it by ear . . . I will definitely never, ever valet park at the Westin again. Cost more than my dinner at Sauciety did!

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

edited February 2011
    What do you guys think of us getting some drunk bowling going on at Kings? Near Hynes so we'd have to stop about 11 and take the T back.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Excellent suggestion, but the only problem is that College Night is on Tuesday so it will be a madhouse.

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    Ooh..scratch that then haha.

Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If only Boston Pool Hall was still open...alas.

Definitely interested in meeting up with fellow PAXers. I usually get back from work between 6-7pm but would be able to meet up anywhere along with my trunk full of board games.

trinistand on
    edited February 2011
    I did this once at a convention for work once. My wallet cried out in pain. Worst thing is that I remember it was kind of hard to see the rates until you went down the ramp and once down you couldn't really turn back around. Definite fist shaking there.

Maybe if there's a smaller group (and some of us may have vehicles), would it be out of the question to venture out further away from the convention center area if dining out?

I actually live in Lexington, so am far more likely to take the 76 to Alewife if I choose to go the T route. Realistically, a game night in the lobby may well run until after the T stops, and there's night parking down near the Westin for about $10 during the week (if I recall), so it's not much worse than just parking at Alewife. We'll see what I'm feeling like doing and play it by ear . . . I will definitely never, ever valet park at the Westin again. Cost more than my dinner at Sauciety did!

trinistand on
    edited February 2011
    I threw this out to Punzie over chat - Why don't we game at a dive bar? I throw up JJ Foley's on Kingston St. Google maps says its ~20 min walk but I'm a slow walker and I can do it in 15 min. It's a straight shot down Summer St.

They have a pretty good draft list, pour a good list, have an extensive bottles list, have a full bar, and serve food until ~9pm on a weeknight (standard delicious bar food, burgers, fries, etc).

I was there last Tuesday and after 7 there were plenty of tables I know the staff well as I've been a regular there for years, so I can check with the owner sometime this week to see if it'll be okay.

(This may not work if people are under 21, though. Neither would Kings though, it seems.)

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    I'll just go along with what you all decide. Though i like the idea of Foley's.

gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

Twitter
    edited February 2011
    I don't mind the idea of the Westin at all, as I'm up for absolutely anything. I just need to make it home before the train stops running or crash somewhere, either/or is fine by me. I have work on Wednesday, probably ass-early in the morning. But for gaming on a Tuesday night? I'd do anything.

I just threw Foley's out there as there are very few viable food options around the convention center open for dinner that don't cost an arm and a leg. And while I don't mind going to any of them, I know people may not wanna throw down $$$ even before PAX starts. That, and while the convention is on, everyone will be exercising those normal food options often.

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    I'll go with that. Good plan. Ditto on doing anything for Tuesday night gaming.

trinistand on
  • BackwoodsBackwoods Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Woah! Those oysters look amazing!

I'm just chiming in to say that I really like the idea of gaming at a dive bar. I have Settlers of Catan and old school Risk if anyone is so inclined. Risk will take all night, though! :)

Backwoods on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    JJ Foley's works for me. Pretty close to night parking in either the Commons or Post Office Square, both of which are affordable for the night rates (or there's always street parking), and nice and convenient for the T crowd.

Khadour on
    xWDsUaZ.png

edited February 2011
    If I remember right, most of the parking on Harrison (dunno about Washington) is metered parking too if you're lucky enough to find a spot.

trinistand on
    edited February 2011
    I support the drunken bar gaming :^:

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
    edited February 2011
    I propose gaming at this dive bar because:

1. It's my favorite bar in Boston. Everyone from tourists to finance bros to couriers hang out there. It should also be relatively empty on Tuesday.
    2. It's a 20 minute walk from the BCEC, but also, there is a pickup point for the 7 bus right across the street that drops you off right in front of the BCEC/Westin. The 7 services the entire Fort Point/South Boston area so it comes every 10-15 minutes for the duration of the night. It also has GPS on it so you can see if it's running late or early.
    3. The food portions are big and the apps are certainly shareable. $2 PBR drafts, cheap bottles and such, but they also carry your Harpoons/Sams/whathaveyou as well as Bass, Long Trail IPA, Stella, Blue Moon, and my personal favorite Leinenkrugel's Sunset Wheat on draft. They also pour a mean Guinness.
    4. Punzie expressed interest in me and her running to the airport to stalk peetsnack when he comes in a little before 10pm, so we wouldn't be far from South Station at all.
    5. The bar closes at 2, for all y'all late gamers.
    6. For the drivers, there should be plenty of street parking by then near Washington St. If not, there's a great garage a block away on Devonshire St between Summer St and Franklin St that charges $2/hour.

So it's your call Rdr since it's your shindig. But that's what the idea of dive bar gaming looks like in my little jujuhead. If you wanna do this, and we have a tentative headcount, I can see if the owner will reserve a few of the tables in the back that we can push together for us, if you want.

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    At the very worst, I invite everyone to crash on the floor of my^H^H^H Rdr's hotel room.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
    edited February 2011
    4. Punzie expressed interest in me and her NOT running to the airport to stalk peetsnack when he comes in a little before 10pm, so we wouldn't be far from South Station at all.

Fixed it for ya.

peetsnack on
    7B14287.png
  • redshoepaulredshoepaul Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I'm not working I wouldn't mind coming and hanging out for a bit. I don't drink anymore, so I wouldn't drink at whatever place we visit. I'm sorta good with the lobby.

redshoepaul on
    edited February 2011
    Hey RSP. Long time no see :)

Def swing by if it does happen :)

juju on
    [E]
    edited February 2011
    JJ Foley's sounds good. What time do people want to start?
    peetsnack wrote: »
    At the very worst, I invite everyone to crash on the floor of my^H^H^H Rdr's hotel room.

I actually don't have a hotel room on Tuesday night. Staying with some enforcers in Boston until Wed.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    I actually don't have a hotel room on Tuesday night. Staying with some enforcers in Boston until Wed.

But you know you can crash in my room if you want so you don't have to worry about missing the T. Hell, juju, you can crash in my room too. We can have a slumber party. But not Peet. Peet isn't invited because he is unappreciative of our company.

punzie on
    HI3789R.png