As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Shadowrun 360..it fades back, it shoots...!

Volas RathVolas Rath Registered User new member
edited May 2007 in Games and Technology
And Falls DIRECTLY into a big meaty pile of dog feces.

Yes ladies and gentlemen, we have yet another over-hyped game that doesnt even come CLOSE to living up to what was promised to us.

Welcome to what I now disgustingly call the "Chrome Hounds Philosophy" of the gaming industry.

Yes... once again.. they sold us HALF of a dang game..for a full game's price.

For those of you who haven't figured out what Im speaking about.. lemme clarify for you.

It's online only. Think Unreal Tournament. The only thing you can do is multi-player matches. Yeah.. they have offline bot match... but honestly.. there is only so many times i can do the same thing over and over and over again before i get disgustingly bored and tear it out of my system cursing the gaming industry for releasing yet another 63 dollar waste of space.

Sure, it looks and sounds great... but they didnt even come up with anything ORIGINAL as far as game mechanics go.. they have TWO... yes... TWO types of matches... capture the flag and deathmatch.. thats it. Sure, they dress up CTF as a pretty picture.. but thats all it is. They also blatently rip off Counter Strike with an in match "buy" menu that uses money you get for being "useful" in a match. (no, im not making that up.. im quoting the instructions manual word for word.)

They dont even have any ORIGINAL Shadowrun weaponry!! No Rippers, no Cyberdecks, NOTHING. Your slapped with a standard BORING array of SEVEN weapon choices.. Pistol (yawn) Rifle (Yaaaawwwn) SMG (yes, these are the ACTUAL names of them too.. not even something Shadowrunish..) Sniper Rifle, Rocket Launcher, Mini-Gun, Shotgun.

This game is a glorified CS:Source..

They dont even get the dang RACES right. Humans are humans.. (yawn.) Dwarves have some sort of Magical drain ability that nobody has ever heard of before.. (wtf...) Trolls have a "Skin Harden" ability where they take less damage if you try repeatedly shooting them. (...ok.. kinda different, in a decent way)..

Where they TOTALLY drop the ball is Elves.. yeah, they're fast and frail... but.. get this.. they have REGENERATION!??! WTH!?!?!? REGENERATION!?! ELVES DONT REGEN YOU MORONS.. TROLLS DO!

Once you have more then 3 abilities, your stuck slogging thru radial menu bs in order to access your spells and gear, and in a twitch game.. thats a suicide manuver.

0.5/10 If i wanted to play a pretty CS:Source... I'd download a skin mod. This game is a complete waste of your time and money. Dont even RENT this.. just point at it and laugh. Thank GOD i work for GameStop and I can return this PoS for something that might NOT suck

Volas Rath on

• AntibodiesAntibodies Used to live in a psychic city. Never knew what would happen in a day. Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Good post, but there's already two nice threads going on the game on the front page here. NOW THERE IS THREE THREADS ON THE FIRST PAGE.
    Allow me to refer you to them.8-)
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=21335
    http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=23743

Antibodies on
    XBL: thetinwoodsman
  • Recoil42Recoil42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, cut down on the fucking drama, and chill. Christ, you're going to bust a vein. It's a game, dipshit.

Oh, and the forumer reviews are pretty decent so far, so maybe it's just you. Consider that for a sec, as well as the fact that if you want to bash on a game, there are much, much better choices than shadowrun. Just because you spent your $60 on a game without doing the research, doesn't mean everyone else was that dumb.

Recoil42 on
  • Mister ServoMister Servo Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Did you not know it was going to be online only?

Mister Servo on
    Mister+Servo.png
  • Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Aggressive.

Dublo7 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Also, how the crap does one get worked up enough to type in caps about the fact that they changed the racial abilities?

I mean, it's freaking Shadowrun.

And how the crap do you buy the game without knowing that? It's like the guy just picked it up off the shelf because hey Shadowrun, the new totally loyal rpg I've been waiting for and was promised!

august on
  • BorfaseBorfase __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2007
    Volas Rath wrote: »

It's online only. Think Unreal Tournament.

duh
    Volas Rath wrote:
    Sure, it looks and sounds great... but they didnt even come up with anything ORIGINAL as far as game mechanics go.. they have TWO... yes... TWO types of matches... capture the flag and deathmatch..

duh
    Volas Rath wrote:
    (yes, these are the ACTUAL names of them too.. not even something Shadowrunish..)

who cares

Volas Rath wrote:
    Volus Rath wrote:
    They dont even get the dang RACES right. Humans are humans.. (yawn.) Dwarves have some sort of Magical drain ability that nobody has ever heard of before.. (wtf...) Trolls have a "Skin Harden" ability where they take less damage if you try repeatedly shooting them. (...ok.. kinda different, in a decent way)..

who cares

Volus Rath wrote:
    Where they TOTALLY drop the ball is Elves.. yeah, they're fast and frail... but.. get this.. they have REGENERATION!??! WTH!?!?!? REGENERATION!?! ELVES DONT REGEN YOU MORONS.. TROLLS DO!

who cares

Borfase on
    duhhhh i like spaghetti-o's lolz
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Yeah, because the concept of doing well in missions and getting paid for it and then upgrading your shit is completely alien to the shadowrun world. It's in fact proven that Counter Strike invented capitalism

Rook on
  • DockenDocken Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Borfase wrote: »
    Volas Rath wrote: »

It's online only. Think Unreal Tournament.

duh
    Volas Rath wrote:
    Sure, it looks and sounds great... but they didnt even come up with anything ORIGINAL as far as game mechanics go.. they have TWO... yes... TWO types of matches... capture the flag and deathmatch..

duh
    Volas Rath wrote:
    (yes, these are the ACTUAL names of them too.. not even something Shadowrunish..)

who cares

Volas Rath wrote:
    Volus Rath wrote:

who cares

Volus Rath wrote:

who cares

Actually he has a good point re: source material rape.

Even if the game was good (sounds passable by all acounts) it certainly gets a big thumbs down for taking an interesting backstory and totally ignoring it.

Why not just make the same game with original IP and avoid the problem entirely? Its not like Shadowrun is a killer IP to begin with- it has a core of hardcore followers but hardly enough to warrant trying to sell a whole game on.

Docken on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    What are the negative aspects of changing a world of Shadowrun a little to make a better action game? I mean, it's cyberpunk with freakin' elves.

august on
This discussion has been closed.