As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Penny Arcade Expo International Food Exchange - PAX East 2011

DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat!I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
Many of us come to PAX to share our love of games and gaming. That is the universal glue that adheres us to each another. However many of us share other interests and one of those is the love of food; especially prepared foods from far away foreign lands (like Canada and the UK) that travel well on airplanes. So this thread is dedicated to that interest.
coffeecrisp.jpg
A prime example of a Canadian delicacy. Click here for some more.

The genesis of this thread was the chatter in IRC amongst folks from the US, UK, and Canada as to the various localized foods we have in each region. For me it started with my bringing a box of Coffee Crisp candy bars to Prime 2010. They disappeared rather quickly.
jaffa-cakes.jpg
OI! JAFFA KREE!

So I've created this thread as an open forum to post what delicious noms you are bringing to PAX to share with your unfortunate American cousins, and for our awesome American hosts to make requests. You can make exchanges, offer cash, or in the spirit of the PAX community simply share for the sake of sharing. It's your call.

Note: Please be aware of the laws for importing and exporting foods, both in your country of origin and destination. Links to the three main governing bodies we will be dealing with can be found here. Any others? Suggest them in thread and I'll add them.

U.S. Customs and Border Protection
HM Revenue & Customs
Canada Border Services Agency (CBSA)

I think we can also take suggestions as to interesting things to take home, and probe around if a certain delicious nom is or isn't available in great USandA.
borat-high-five.jpg

Protip: Do not try to import Kinder Surprise into the US. They will be confiscated by CBP and the parts within are deemed a choking hazard under US law.

camo_sig2.png
I never finish anyth
Decius on

• DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll start with my list. I'm bringing the following
    • Caramilk bars - 1 box of 48 (at least a dozen need to go to Tycho, so back off)
    • Dare Maple Creme Cookies

Also do you guys have Cherry Blossoms in the states, or something similar?

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • nollienollie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    I'll start with my list. I'm bringing the following
    • Caramilk bars - 1 box of 48 (at least a dozen need to go to Tycho, so back off)
    • Dare Maple Creme Cookies

Also do you guys have Cherry Blossoms in the states, or something similar?

yea we call them cherry cordials tho.

I think this is an awesome idea! Our guild has a yearly bbq in Nyc and sometimes our guildees from up north join us and bring silly things like bagged milk :P
    I will love you guys forever if I can get some yummy canadian noms :D

nollie on
    Pax East 2012 Omeganaut!
    Pax East '12 checklist: [x] 3 day pass, [x] hotel booked, [x] byoc seat registered, [ ] cookies baked, [ ] omegathon won.
  • jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You guys should have a Canadian vs USA Oreo taste test. I crossed the border during Prime, brought some home, had an epic Oreo taste duel, and blogged about it. Sadly, on my last trip to Canada I forgot to bring some back :(

It's Girl Scout cookie season here in eastern Massachusetts, so maybe if I can get my hands on the goods that the pint-sized biscuit Sirens are peddling I'll grab a few boxes for ya.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know you are all chomping at the bit for chocolate from China!

Oh wait...no you aren't because it is made of wax and brown food coloring.

Well, if anyone would like something like tuna candy, let me know!

chaosisorder on
  • punziepunzie Cookie Pimp Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know you are all chomping at the bit for chocolate from China!

Oh wait...no you aren't because it is made of wax and brown food coloring.

Well, if anyone would like something like tuna candy, let me know!

Tuna candy?! o.0 I'd be down for some candy oddities from The East. Do you have those weird flavors of KitKats (seaweed and such) or is that only Japan?

punzie on
    HI3789R.png
  • TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I wouldn't know what to ask for, but I've brought Cookie Crisp to my Canadian brethren before (doesn't exist in Quebec at least) - maybe a good bartering tool for anyone with requests!

Tuft on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can bring you guys some Old Bay seasoning. They love that stuff on a lot of foods here in Baltimore.

mentok1982 on
    Penny Arcade TV makes my life complete!
    PS3: Mentok || Steam: mentok1982 || Diablo 3: mentok1982#1212
    Links: GPUReview.com My IGN activity My IGN Blog [H]ard|Forum
  • diecastbeatdowndiecastbeatdown Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can bring goods from NYC, if there is anything you can think of that you'd want from the city let me know. I can't think of anything specifically, but if you can...

Except pizza, don't think that will last long on the road.

diecastbeatdown on
    edited February 2011
    mentok1982 wrote: »
    I can bring you guys some Old Bay seasoning. They love that stuff on a lot of foods here in Baltimore.

I actually found some of that stuff locally. It even had French language on it, which is a requirement in Canada and the one reason I thought it would never show up here.

It's not all it's cracked up to be.

Sorry :(

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • thorshaukthorshauk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would love some Jammie Dodgers<3

I don't know what I would offer anyone. I'm from NJ ... There's a pretty awesome fudge shop here if you want that.

thorshauk on
  • chaosisorderchaosisorder Cupcake Princess and Pinny Whore OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decius, I am not above hurting you for saying that.

chaosisorder on
    edited February 2011
    Decius, I am not above hurting you for saying that.

You're not above hurting me for a lot of things...

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just saw Jammie Dodgers a few hours ago at Wegmans! They have a decent selection of foods from the UK (I spent my college years over there). The one thing I can't seem to find over here, that is so unhealthy but I have a sweet spot for, is Pot Noodles. I know, I know, so bad for you.

However they are bulky and would never expect anyone to waste luggage space on them. I don't even know if you can import them.

Also, Coffee Crisps are great. I fell in love with them when I used to go to Toronto every year (10-15 years ago). Nestle stopped marketing them here in the US a few years ago. I used to be able to find them at 7/11's in South Jersey and it made me happy.

MTSonic11 on
  • crackgoblincrackgoblin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    While you arent supposed to import Kinder suprise in the US, a bunch of European grocery stories do it anyway. If this becomes a meet-up at a specific time, i can maybe head down to my local euro store and pick up a box.

crackgoblin on
    its a secret to everyone
  • kropotkinkropotkin Forum Badge Creator London UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Greetings all! Living in 'old timey land' grants me access to a considerable amount of suger enfused food stuffs. Here are some suggestions:

Thornton's Chocolate:

Very well made, high quality chocolate for those with a refined taste. They sell blocks of the stuff, which I did deliver to someone at PAX East 2010. For more info, check this site out.

Candy bars

There are many candy/chocolate bars in the UK that don't appear in the US. Examples include Crunchie, Bounty and Double Deckers. All UK sugar is based on sugar-beat and not corn syrup, hence it tasting somewhat more palatable. Check this site out for details on candy bars in the UK.

Biscuits

People say that biscuits are the same as cookies, but that's not actually true. Biscuits are sweet, like cookies but they are much smaller and more delicate. Examples include custard creams and jammy dodgers. Again for examples go here.

Chocolate assortments

There are two major brands of chocolate collections, these being Roses and Quality Street. Both are pretty good, although most people favour Roses.

Let me know what you're after and I'll see what I can do.

kropotkin on
    ryr7xy0i2ynw.png

• cyntheticcynthetic Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If anyone 21+ coming from Ireland could bring Pear flavored Bulmers, I would more than pay for it, and definitely hug you. :D

cynthetic on
  • emf715emf715 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If anyone coming from the UK has some room in their bags to smuggle some Flakes in, I'd be very appreciative.

I'm coming from Long Island, so I could bring bagels, but that's about it (in addition to all my Brigade Cookies).

emf715 on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If anyone is coming from Australia/NZ or can source Tim Tams anywhere I would be eternally in your debt. It's been 10 months since my last Tim Tam Slam and I'm missing it!

Also, I can provide Canadian goodies if anyone wants any. Just let me know what you're after.

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2011
    Parmaynu wrote: »
    If anyone is coming from Australia/NZ or can source Tim Tams anywhere I would be eternally in your debt. It's been 10 months since my last Tim Tam Slam and I'm missing it!

Also, I can provide Canadian goodies if anyone wants any. Just let me know what you're after.

Actually if you can get someone from the west coast, Save-On Foods commonly has them on sale. They have the normal ones, caramel, and I think they're brought in a third flavour.

I don't have any room in my luggage for any more goodies. Sorry :(.
    kropotkin wrote: »
    Generous offers of assistance.

If you could bring some Jaffa Cakes please, I've always been curious about them.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If anyone in Canada or the UK can get me some aero bars I'll love you forever. I prefer the mint ones but the original, orange and caramel ones would be awesome as well. Also just one caramilk bar. :)

I can get my hands on some girl scout cookies I think.

Rdr on
    edited February 2011
    Here's a link to the Canadian stuff if anyone is curious. Added to the OP.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    o man, there is this great marshmallow thing my friend in worcester sent me once - i feel like it was called whoomp or woomps or something. it's like a candy bar made of marshmallow strands. that is the best i can explain it, but it was DELICIOUS. anyone looking to bring unique things from the UK might consider bringing those.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll bring a good dozen of these. Anyone I sit down and play with get some as long as suplies last.

smarties_75g_red_3d%20350%20x%20175%20-%20cropped.jpg
    Rdr wrote: »
    If anyone in Canada or the UK can get me some aero bars I'll love you forever. I prefer the mint ones but the original, orange and caramel ones would be awesome as well. Also just one caramilk bar. :)

I can get my hands on some girl scout cookies I think.

I can definitely set you up with some Aero bars. I'll make a note to bring some from any type I can get my hands with.
    Greetings all! Living in 'old timey land' grants me access to a considerable amount of suger enfused food stuffs. Here are some suggestions: ...

I would definitely be curious to try out anything you would be willing to bring from overseas! In fact if we could exchange stuff while we sit down for a game of anything it would be a great win for my trip. Love the show btw, I always look forward the next installement.

EDIT: Overdue iTunes raiting sent.

</stalk>

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • GewurztraminGewurztramin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Being from Kentucky our main product is Bourbon, I can bring some Bourbon Balls . They can be amazing noms.

Gewurztramin on
  • MTSonic11MTSonic11 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There are many candy/chocolate bars in the UK that don't appear in the US. Examples include Crunchie, Bounty and Double Deckers. All UK sugar is based on sugar-beat and not corn syrup, hence it tasting somewhat more palatable. Check this site out for details on candy bars in the UK.

Double Deckers and Drifters were my favorite sweets living in England. I can sometimes find them online from British importers, but it can be difficult. If anyone is bringing either of these, I would be happy to trade them a beer/coffee/good ol' $$$/etc, choose your poison.

I can't seem to think of any good Mid-Atlantic regional things to bring or trade, but I'll keep trying to come up with ideas. I will be making a pit-stop in RI however and could pick up Del's Lemonade mix or Coffee Milk syrup if anyone is interested. With RI being so close to Boston, I'm not sure if it's a big deal though.

MTSonic11 on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    May I just say that Kinder Surprise being banned in the US is the dumbest thing I've ever heard? I LOVE Kinder Surprise, but I only got to have it one time.

feitocomfruta on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone want maple candy?

:|

Yeah, New Hampshire doesn't really have something that stands out and is unique.

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Mr PlopplesMr Plopples Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm coming over from the UK Kingdom and will happily bring over an assortment of Sweets (read: Candy) to the US of States on behalf of anyone.

I'll just share them out as I go. Any requests?

Mr Plopples on
  • kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm coming over from the UK Kingdom and will happily bring over an assortment of Sweets (read: Candy) to the US of States on behalf of anyone.

I'll just share them out as I go. Any requests?

Some Jelly Babies would help convince me to wear my excessive "I'll probably be damn warm in this" Fourth Doctor scarf. ;-):)

kitties_on_acid on
    edited February 2011
    As and aside, my god there's going to be a lot of 4th Doctor scarves at east. We need a group pic of this I think.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • testsubject23testsubject23 King of No Sleep ZzzzzzzRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd be willing to haul down any Canadian delicacies that people would like, provided we still have room for humans in the car.
    If you're unable to get Mr. Big bars in the states, I'd recommend 'em: they're among my favourites.
    Hawkins Cheezies are pretty awesome, too.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd be willing to haul down any Canadian delicacies that people would like, provided we still have room for humans in the car.
    If you're unable to get Mr. Big bars in the states, I'd recommend 'em: they're among my favourites.
    Hawkins Cheezies are pretty awesome, too.

Me and the girlfriend were flabergasted to learn they don't have Coffee Crisps...

To think they would not have Mr. Bigs makes me even sadder.

Is it me or si there something about Nestle products not making it over the border? Smarties, Coffee Crisps, Aero, etc...

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • KevralynKevralyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If it is permissible to bring alcohol, I would very much like to bring some very fine traditional West Country Mead along for sharing. That's honey wine for those of you with a sweet tooth.

Kevralyn on
    Dominic
    sig.gif
    edited February 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Me and the girlfriend were flabergasted to learn they don't have Coffee Crisps...

To think they would not have Mr. Bigs makes me even sadder.

Is it me or si there something about Nestle products not making it over the border? Smarties, Coffee Crisps, Aero, etc...

The Coffee Crisp revalation was a jaw-dropper to me, too. It's like... how do you live? :)

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam: Chaos Introvert | Twitch.tv: Chaos_Introvert | R*SC: Chaos_Introvert | PSN: testsubject23
  • ZeroHourHeroZeroHourHero Allentown, PARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Krissta wrote: »
    Anyone want maple candy?

:|

Yeah, New Hampshire doesn't really have something that stands out and is unique.

I love Maple Sugar Candy....

On another note: Anyone want Tasty Cakes, Ketchup Chips, Kiffles, or any other random Pennsylvania food thing?

ZeroHourHero on
    edited February 2011
    Kevralyn wrote: »
    If it is permissible to bring alcohol, I would very much like to bring some very fine traditional West Country Mead along for sharing. That's honey wine for those of you with a sweet tooth.

OMG, I love mead! It's nearly impossible to find in Ontario, too - I have to order it online.
    I could bring rye whiskey, by way of trade.
    We also have some amazing microbreweries, but beer takes up a lot of room... I could be convinced to bring a few bottles, at least.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011

OMG, I love mead! It's nearly impossible to find in Ontario, too - I have to order it online.
    I could bring rye whiskey, by way of trade.
    We also have some amazing microbreweries, but beer takes up a lot of room... I could be convinced to bring a few bottles, at least.

Whilst I like my ales, I do understand the burden of carrying all that glass, but the whiskey sounds good. Besides, plenty of beer on the MMT I'm hoping. I'll see if I can sneak an extra bottle of mead along.

Kevralyn on
    Dominic
    sig.gif
  • kitties_on_acidkitties_on_acid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    As and aside, my god there's going to be a lot of 4th Doctor scarves at east. We need a group pic of this I think.

lol! Well... on top of being cool... it took me a REAAAALLLLLYYYY long time to make it, so I like to get as much mileage as possible out of it. :):)

kitties_on_acid on
    edited February 2011
    Whilst I like my ales, I do understand the burden of carrying all that glass, but the whiskey sounds good. Besides, plenty of beer on the MMT I'm hoping. I'll see if I can sneak an extra bottle of mead along.

<dances with joy>

I will have a bottle of rye with your name on it.

testsubject23 on
    camo_sig2.png
    edited February 2011
    <dances with joy>

I will have a bottle of rye with your name on it.

I'll see what I can find first! The supply here is minimal at best.

Oh and.... passname Angel, twitter @Kevralynn, since you'll want to find me if I can get the goods.

Kevralyn on
    Dominic
    sig.gif