As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick Ass Keyboards

Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
I just bought and put together a new computer. Yay! It's looks and runs awesome but I feel I need a better keyboard.

Is there anything to these expensive keyboards with cool bells and whistles, or am I better off sticking with my bog standard current board?

Medium Dave on

• SpyralSpyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're gaming, and I can only assume you are, there is DEFINITELY something to be said about the gaming keyboards.

I personally have a slightly older G15 gaming keyboard, and I absolutely love it. Being able to macro commands to 15 unique keys (with 3 keysets) is a great feature.

I know it depends on the games you play for how much you get out of one, but for me, the 75 bucks or so that it cost me was worth every penny.

Spyral on
  • CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm a big fan of the sidewinder X6.

http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/gaming/ProductDetails.aspx?pid=102

The only drawback is the lack of flip feet on the underside. I used a strip of foam to elevate the back of mine.

Cabezone on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    At the risk of sounding like a consumer whore, I really like my Razer Lycosa. The only function I don't use is changing the lighting so it only lights up WASD. Other than that it just feels great under my fingers, it clicks and clacks just enough (not too loud) but the keypresses are less demanding.

I love it.

Icemopper on
  • RSPRSP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it depends on what you want to do. I can see extra keys and macro configuration being super handy for RTS/RPG games. I play FPS games almost exclusively and use an IBM Model M (the original owners were going to throw it out!), which lacks modern features, but has excellent responsiveness and feedback for quick, complex maneuvers like rocket/strafe jumping. Fun for typing too.

RSP on
  • SpyralSpyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    RSP pretty much nailed it. As I stated before, I play on a Logitech G15, which I love. But I'm a big time MMO player, so the added functionality of macro key is SUPER useful. But if you're playing a FPS, I don't think you really need any added keys so much as just a really nice feeling keyboard under your fingers.

The one downside I can say to my G15, which I believe they fixed with the newer models, is the responsiveness when typing quickly, Double tapping a key while typing and the likes, is somewhat less responsive than I would have expected from a high end keyboard. I type fast (80+ wpm) so maybe that has something to do with it, but for me I do have issues with me hitting a key twice, or moving on to the next key with a space in between and it not recognizing every keystroke.

Spyral on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know. personally I went from an old standard keyboard that came with the last computer I bought at retail to using the logitech illuminated keyboard and I love everything about it and it feels smooth when your hands are resting on it... Also it lights up

initiatefailure on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't know. personally I went from an old standard keyboard that came with the last computer I bought at retail to using the logitech illuminated keyboard and I love everything about it and it feels smooth when your hands are resting on it... Also it lights up

Do you mean this one? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740

I love that shit. Played around with one in a store and it feels so nice to type on. And it looks and fgeels pretty damn nice, too. Gotta get one right quick, for my new computermotron...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I use a G15, pretty much don't use any of the extras, LCD screen or macros.

It is a nice keyboard though, but I wouldn't pay more than $40 for it. I don't play any MMOs so that might have something to do with the macros, I just don't see them ever being useful, even in an MMO.

Fizban140 on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah that's the one. It really just feels so nice and it lets me destroy my eyesight better at night by having the board lit instead of a lamp

initiatefailure on
  • AlectharAlecthar Alan Shore We're not territorial about that sort of thing, are we?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I myself use the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It's not a dedicated gaming keyboard, and there's no fancy backlighting, but it feels great to type on and works just fine for what I need.

Alecthar on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I use one of these:

th_pckeyboards_2029_635337.jpg

Basically a Model M with native USB support.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • CormacCormac Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have a Razer Black Window Ultimate and absolutely love it. Once you go mechanical anything else just feels like crap. If you don't need or want backlit keys the normal/non-ultimate version is possibly the highest value mechanical keyboards for the money.

Cormac on
    Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Best keyboard I have ever used, http://steelseries.com/products/keyboards/steelseries-7g
    Mechanical keyboard with the pure joy of being able register every input. I also like how they've removed the lower left windows key so I don't inadvertently hit it while wads and crouching.

There is the cheaper model 6gv2 which does not come with a rest and lacks USB/mic/speaker ports. Really simple desgin no led or macros or any of that other stuff just s pure keyboard.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

edited February 2011
    Cormac wrote: »
    I have a Razer Black Window Ultimate and absolutely love it. Once you go mechanical anything else just feels like crap. If you don't need or want backlit keys the normal/non-ultimate version is possibly the highest value mechanical keyboards for the money.
    So harder that hard.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What exactly is different about a mechanical keyboard? Here, I'm getting the image of using a mechanical typewriter without the fear of the levers jamming.

Synthesis on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I find mechanical keyboards to feel slightly better, but not enough to make up for the dramatic increase in noise. The 7G is by far the quietest mechanical i've used but it's still a cacophony compared to a normal keyboard. I'm currently using a wireless logitech illuminated keyboard and love it, I dumped my g15 for it. The G15 was nice but overall I find the smaller footprint of the logitech preferable to the macro keys/LCD of the g15.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »
    At the risk of sounding like a consumer whore, I really like my Razer Lycosa. The only function I don't use is changing the lighting so it only lights up WASD. Other than that it just feels great under my fingers, it clicks and clacks just enough (not too loud) but the keypresses are less demanding.

I love it.

I had this keyboard and I hated it. That touchpad thing in the top right was wiggy as fuck. It would keep activating on its own, and cycling through music randomly. And whenever that happened it minimized everything else. I threw it away.

PolloDiablo on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gah i didn't notice someone mentioned the lycosa, yeah, i liked it in theory but had the same experience as pollo, I had one, top started wigging out all the time, RMA'd it, 2 months later the replacement started doing the same so I tossed it and move on.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Synthesis wrote: »
    What exactly is different about a mechanical keyboard? Here, I'm getting the image of using a mechanical typewriter without the fear of the levers jamming.

Some argue that it has better tactile feedback. Ergonomically, it's better for you because it provides more gradual resistance to your keypresses, reducing stress on your hands as you type. Also, mechanical contacts will tend to last a lot longer than the normal crappy rubberized variety.

But yeah, they're loud as fuck.

CLACKITY CLACKITY CLACKITY

mcdermott on
  • stimtokolosstimtokolos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Takka takka is half of the fun of a mechanical keyboard.
    I have a DASkeyboard because they have a nice minimalistic look.

stimtokolos on
  • PolloDiabloPolloDiablo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are mechanical ones good for gaming? It seems like you'd want less resistance, not more.

PolloDiablo on
  • DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Barrakketh wrote: »
    I use one of these:

th_pckeyboards_2029_635337.jpg

Basically a Model M with native USB support.

I had one of those keyboards, you can get them right here and they are awesome as fuck. They're the mechanical kind and while they're a bit louder than other keyboards they're totally awesome. I don't ever really have anything to type except shit on forums and occasionally IRC but I was coming up with reasons to type just so I could use that keyboard, like reinstalling Typing of the Dead. I am going to buy another once I build my new computer.

edit: Pollo, I didn't notice any difference in gaming, other than pressing the keys felt really nice. I seriously can not state how much I loved the tactile feedback on that thing. I was so sad when I eventually ruined it with beer. :(

Darmak on
    JtgVX0H.png
  • seabassseabass Doctor MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    We actually use Kinesis keyboards at work (Computer science grad students), specifically the advantage contour model. If you type for a living, I cannot recommend them strongly enough, even though they are pricey. For gaming, they're so-so.

seabass on
    Run you pigeons, it's Robert Frost!
  • RohanRohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Alecthar wrote: »
    I myself use the Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard 4000. It's not a dedicated gaming keyboard, and there's no fancy backlighting, but it feels great to type on and works just fine for what I need.

We bought one of those for a friend whose old keyboard sounded like "a horse chewing on toffee" over Skype, as another friend put it. Now we barely hear him type at all. I myself am using the first revision G15, and while the macro keys were very useful in WoW, I haven't used them for any other game since. It's a nice keyboard with a good feel, though, and I like typing on it.

Rohan on
    ...and I thought of how all those people died, and what a good death that is. That nobody can blame you for it, because everyone else died along with you, and it is the fault of none, save those who did the killing.

Nothing's forgotten, nothing is ever forgotten
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you're interested in mechanicals go here http://geekhack.org/

DekuStick on
    edited February 2011
    Are mechanical ones good for gaming? It seems like you'd want less resistance, not more.

yeah they are, most modern mechanical keyboards register with only 50% travel, meaning faster response than dome keyboards that require you to down far enough that the dome indents and contacts the base.

Also I think mechanicals have less resistance because with dome keyboards the pre assure increases then falls off then increases again and they still end up having you bottom out, unlike a mechanical key board. DekuSticks link has a mech keyboard intro sticky that will lead you through why mechanical key boards are better, and also explain why my apple keyboard(2010 wifi) felt nicer than all my other keyboards prior to going mechanical.

Also gaming mechanical keyboards will have the ability to register more than even 10 key presses, so no more of this strafing in an fps and the keyboard beeping and locking up because i'm moving diagonally and reloading.

Bastable on

• Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are older keyboards thought of as mechanical? Or is this a relatively new thing?

Medium Dave on
    edited February 2011
    The IBM M was the storied mechanical keyboard so they've been around since the start of personal computer keyboards. the Apple II keyboards are mechanical. Dome's are newer and cheaper to manufacture.

(IBM mechanical keyboards do use a buckling spring which is different to modern cherry switch mechanicals such as razor black widows or steal seriers mech keyboard. Old Apple key boards are similar to the new cherry switch mechs but used a diffrent switch manufacturer. So mech keyboards have been around since the 80s

Bastable on

• Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    Is there any store that carries mechanical keyboards? I have never tried one and would like to.

Fizban140 on
    edited February 2011
    steel series store locator http://steelseries.com/us/where-to-buy/north-america/usa

6 and 7 are their mechanical keyboards

http://www2.razerzone.com/resellers/user/
    Razor's black widow is their take on modern mechanical keyboards.

Also old IBM or lexmark keyboards or manufactured now Unicomp keyboards. IBM spun off their keyboard manufacturer and named it lexmark who then sold it to some of the workers who now manufacture under Unicomp. link to their online store on page one.

Bastable on

• ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Never used a mechanical keyboard? Wow. :P

I've got the Microsoft Natural 4000 linked earlier in the thread at work, and for typing, it is really nice. Probably wouldn't be as nice for gaming, but the keyboard itself is quality.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I like the apple keyboard w/ number pad.

I have many many keyboards in my household, and I choose that above all.

Jasconius on
    edited February 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »

I've got the Microsoft Natural 4000 linked earlier in the thread at work, and for typing, it is really nice. Probably wouldn't be as nice for gaming, but the keyboard itself is quality.

If you're talking to me, apparently I do, according to Overlock's guide :P. I switch between "MX clears" in my office, rubber top in my home, and scissor switches in my laptop. Which is funny, because I hate my office keyboard because it's so crammed with gunk and rather worn out.

I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000, which is decent enough and incredibly convenient (it has really long range consisdering it's not bluetooth). Plus, if something goes wrong with the internals, Microsoft will send you another one for free.

Synthesis on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you're talking to me, apparently I do, according to Overlock's guide :P. I switch between "MX clears" in my office, rubber top in my home, and scissor switches in my laptop. Which is funny, because I hate my office keyboard because it's so crammed with gunk and rather worn out.

I'm using a Microsoft Wireless Desktop 5000, which is decent enough and incredibly convenient (it has really long range consisdering it's not bluetooth). Plus, if something goes wrong with the internals, Microsoft will send you another one for free.

This can't be stressed enough. I know there are companies that have excellent products, but whenever a MS peripheral has broken on me, they've been absolutely excellent in replacing it for me. MS Explorer mouse wire broke? Sent me a free replacement. I later got curious and spliced the wire and then had two working. :P Wife's notebook wireless mouse acting up and the battery compartment got busted enough that the contacts don't stay together? Sent a newer bluetrack model for free.

The only time they've failed me is with my Trackball Explorer. They just don't make any trackballs anymore so they can't replace it. They were kind enough to offer a refund if I sent it in to them, but I decided to instead open it up, rewire it, and get it working again myself. It's that good.

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Monkey Ball WarriorMonkey Ball Warrior A collection of mediocre hats Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeh I know a guy who likes trackballs and they're very hard to come by now.

This microsoft keyboard is on it's way out, the switchs are getting worn out. I'l probably buy a mechanical one since I'm programming now and thus spend a lot more time typing.

Monkey Ball Warrior on
    "I resent the entire notion of a body as an ante and then raise you a generalized dissatisfaction with physicality itself" -- Tycho
    edited February 2011

This can't be stressed enough. I know there are companies that have excellent products, but whenever a MS peripheral has broken on me, they've been absolutely excellent in replacing it for me. MS Explorer mouse wire broke? Sent me a free replacement. I later got curious and spliced the wire and then had two working. :P Wife's notebook wireless mouse acting up and the battery compartment got busted enough that the contacts don't stay together? Sent a newer bluetrack model for free.

The only time they've failed me is with my Trackball Explorer. They just don't make any trackballs anymore so they can't replace it. They were kind enough to offer a refund if I sent it in to them, but I decided to instead open it up, rewire it, and get it working again myself. It's that good.

Yeah, I don't expect Microsoft to replace my Sidewinder FF2, since they stopped making them years ago, but Microsoft is extremely generous with PC hardware replacements--especially since they don't seem to ask for you to send the broken one back. On the other hand, MS used to make top-notch peripherals (joysticks, wheels, etc.), and still do (Xbox 360 controllers) which could compete with Logitech, Saitek and Thrustmaster. They just don't make as much as they used to.

They still make a wide range of mice and keyboards though, but I think they're generally marketed for home office use, not gaming.

Synthesis on
  • DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Do you mean this one? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740

I love that shit. Played around with one in a store and it feels so nice to type on. And it looks and fgeels pretty damn nice, too. Gotta get one right quick, for my new computermotron...

!vote

Love the logitech illuminated.

Delzhand on
  • LaPuzzaLaPuzza Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Model M is civilization.

http://www.clickykeyboards.com/ is apparently the place to go for original Model M Keyboards. That's where I got my USB converter for mine.

http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/index.html is (I think) the keyboard produced by the original factory that made the Model M, so you can get it with windows keys and usb connectors.

One note for gaming - only the last generation of Model M Keyboards seemed to allow for more than 5 keypresses at a time, which means that complicated gaming is best left to the new keyboards or later 90s Model Ms.

LaPuzza on
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to get those cool keyboards, but I need one with 104 keys (for áàãâ and ç). And fuck, I'd NEVER buy a keyboard with a missing windows key, I use left windows key a lot.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'd love to get those cool keyboards, but I need one with 104 keys (for áàãâ and ç). And fuck, I'd NEVER buy a keyboard with a missing windows key, I use left windows key a lot.
    The one I use has 104 keys, and the Windows key is present. See here.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru