As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: Trogdor commands you to use the new thread

• MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    You know what would be great.

People not equating sense of humor to intelligence and maturity.

Especially considering that the greater a persons intelligence, the more likely they are to have a wider sense of humor.

That would be great. I'd really like it if people did that.

Boobies.

This does not refute his point.
    fart

Just so we are all clear.

I'm pro booby and fart joke.

I'm anti "booby and fart jokes make you a lesser human being"

I have this feeling I'm being misunderstood again so I'm just checking.
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    You know what would be great.

People not equating sense of humor to intelligence and maturity.

Especially considering that the greater a persons intelligence, the more likely they are to have a wider sense of humor.

That would be great. I'd really like it if people did that.

I bet you like the movies written by Friedberg and Seltzer don't you? :?

No I actually dislike them. I'm absolutely for other people liking them and am happy to let them be.
    I'm anti people trying to bag other people for liking them.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What a killjoy.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nocren wrote: »
    finnith wrote: »
    Is the blockbuster in america the same as the blockbuster in australia? I guess I'll find out if something happens to the one down the street.

(I'm sorry for ruining the last one with my terribad inability to make a joke without infinite unnecessary words. *hangs head*)

Eh, it was time to make a new one anyway, and thought that would be a funny way to end it. :P

According to wiki, Blockbuster's Aussie, Canadian, UK and Chilean operations are separate and not affected by the bankruptcy. Man, it'll be odd if the company lives on in those countries but croaks entirely in the U.S., home to Hollywood and other movies that have too many explosions.

They're not affected because market conditions are different. More specifically, it's because in places like Canada (which is where I live) services like Netflix and Hulu are either non-existent or unpopular due to high internet costs. I would think that Blockbuster Canada's days are numbered though as a lot of people seem to be talking about Netflix (anecdotal I know, but it did get a lot of press coverage).

You know I always found it weird how many Gamestops there were when I went to the US. I remember passing by the Freehold Mall (it was somewhere near there) and seeing a Gamestop in one part of the mall then crossing the road and immediately seeing another Gamestop. Is this oversaturation common?

I'm sitting at a Starbucks that is literally across the street from another and down the block from a third.

So, no.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENGUYeiGtNk

Undead Scottsman on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just feel like my statements get misinterpreted a lot in this thread for some reason so I'm pretty cautious. I don't mean to turn things into seriz bizness.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Whoops wrong thread.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I worked at Blockbuster when they switched over to their 'no late fee' thing which was like back in 2005 or something. I am really shocked they have hung on this long, because late fees were pretty much the only way they made any money. It was such an obviously stupid move. I'm ashamed to admit I actually tried to go back there maybe two years ago or so and it was impossible to find an opening, even at the store I worked at which had the same manager who knew I was good. That store has since closed, and it was really high volume, too. Was constantly packed on weekends. I find it hard to believe any stores make anything close to a profit anymore.

Well obviously they don't or this wouldn't be a problem. I don't know why they're even still trying.

Adus on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Australia will be getting neither Steel Diver nor Pilotwings at launch. You can always import Steel Diver from the USA-oh wait. Iwata: Laughs.

Couscous on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Toxic Toys wrote: »
    Erich Zahn wrote: »
    Couscous wrote: »
    http://www.andriasang.com/e/blog/2011/02/23/nomura_on_dissidida_future/
    On a completely separate note from Dissidia, but somewhat related to NGP, Dengeki asked about the possibility for a download release for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Replied Nomura, "I'd like to do something about this, but it's difficult for a reason that I can't say. However, I want to make sure there's no misunderstanding -- it's not a problem with Square Enix, Disney or Utada (Utada Hikaru, performer of the game's theme song). It's a completely different issue. I'll continue thinking about a way to make it possible, but it still requires time."

Is anyone else reminded of when G&T approached EBGames about Precipice?

They demanded 90% of the proceeds.

From all sales.

Say what? They really tried to pull something like that?

They fully understand that DD will be the death of them and are doing everything imaginable to clog the tubes of progress.

Edith Upwards on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Man every time I see Layton vs. Wright on any list I remember its a real thing and not just my childhood imagination popping in to say hello again.

Can't wait.

Have we gotten any confirmation that this is getting translated into English yet? Last I heard there were no solid plans.

Also, I'll be curious to see if Layton 4 gets as good a localization as the others did, now that Nintendo's no longer publishing. Chris at Wired said he saw a quick translation and it was pretty rough. Then again, that was months ago.

Edit: Also, Wired noted there's still no concrete plans to bring Layton 4 over yet. Surely nothing to worry about yet... I hope.

No, I'm pretty sure Layton 4 is covered by Nintendo's deal with them. It's Layton 5 (3DS) that isn't.
    Fats wrote: »
    How exactly do you know you don't want to play them if you know nothing about them? Truthiness? And why share this in the thread? "Derp derp, those games are so bad I don't even recognise them"? I don't get it.

I know the genres those games inhabit, and I know I don't enjoy those genres, so the logic works itself out pretty simply.

As for why I posted at all, it was for my own amusement, of course.

Oh so you did know something about them, you were just trolling.
    Spoit wrote: »
    Either are alright, but pre-rendered in-engine cutscenes? The epitome of sillyness. Especially with how noticeable it is when your AA/AF suddenly disappear.

Really? You're fine with pre-rendered FMV cutscenes but dislike those pre-rendered cutscenes if they actually look like the game you're playing? You don't see the benefits they can bring with loading?

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2011
    On a completely separate note from Dissidia, but somewhat related to NGP, Dengeki asked about the possibility for a download release for Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep. Replied Nomura, "I'd like to do something about this, but it's difficult for a reason that I can't say. However, I want to make sure there's no misunderstanding -- it's not a problem with Square Enix, Disney or Utada (Utada Hikaru, performer of the game's theme song). It's a completely different issue. I'll continue thinking about a way to make it possible, but it still requires time."

If it's not a licensing issue then what the fuck could be the reason? He's an enormous asshole? Fucking idiotic. Can't wait for them to re-release it on the NGP at full price.
    Australia will be getting neither Steel Diver nor Pilotwings at launch. You can always import Steel Diver from the USA-oh wait. Iwata: Laughs.

And Nomura will be joined by the entirety of Nintendo in the enormous asshole category. Fuck you Nintendo Australia.

Unco-ordinated on
  • SirUltimosSirUltimos Don't talk, Rusty. Just paint. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Could be really similar to the Gamestop thing that Gabe and Tycho had to deal with. Could very well be some kind of a deal/threat with traditional game stores.

SirUltimos on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If it's not a licensing issue then what the fuck could be the reason? He's an enormous asshole? Fucking idiotic. Can't wait for them to re-release it on the NGP at full price.

And Nomura will be joined by the entirety of Nintendo in the enormous asshole category. Fuck you Nintendo Australia.

I would rather people ask Nomura where Kingdom Hearts 3 is, and why they think eight hundred spinoffs of FFXIII are more worthy of their time.

Ceno on
  • NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, but you have to admit that Versus looks many times better than normal XIII. Also, when I read that quote, I had the feeling that he was blaming SONY for it or something. It was just my first reaction to it though since he said that three main people (or companies) behind the game were all for it.

Nitsua on
  • Edith UpwardsEdith Upwards Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ceno wrote: »
    I would rather people ask Nomura where Kingdom Hearts 3 is, and why they think eight hundred spinoffs of FFXIII are more worthy of their time.
    I can't wait until the FF series just completely fails to break even.

I also can't wait until somebody sane gets ahold of Star Ocean and does the "TRAVELLER JRPG" concept that Tri-Ace wanted to try for their second game.

Edith Upwards on
    edited February 2011
    Nitsua wrote: »
    Yeah, but you have to admit that Versus looks many times better than normal XIII. Also, when I read that quote, I had the feeling that he was blaming SONY for it or something. It was just my first reaction to it though since he said that three main people (or companies) behind the game were all for it.

If there were any issue with Sony, I somehow doubt Square Enix would be putting a number of their other games on the PSN. So no, it's nothing to do with Sony, they've nothing to do with the game itself, they're just the distributor.

And fuck Kingdom Hearts 3 if it gets me Versus XIII.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Even though it's really only a side point to your post, I am kind of wondering what portable systems you'd say had good non-japanese developer support? Because other than the fractured market leading to the "cutting edge" games going to the PSP, the DS doesn't really seem all that different from the GBA.

Absolutely. This was a follow-up post to another huge wall-o-text I had in the last thread, but you're exactly right. Western 3rd parties had traditionally treated handhelds as targets for low-budget tie-ins (either to kids TV shows or movies, or as a spin-off to a bigger mainline game franchise). There were very few Western 3rd parties that treated handhelds with any seriousness at all. But before this generation that could be justified. The GBA sold tons of hardware (something like 30 million in the US alone), but it was never a major software mover in terms of sales or as a development target. Even Nintendo treated it as a haven for SNES remakes along with a few smaller franchises that could thrive because of their small budget rather than in spite of it.

But with the DS and the PSP all of that changed. The PSP actually shook the image first, with people talking about finally bringing PS2-level gaming to a handheld. Rather than cutdown versions of major franchises, the PSP got full-blown GTA games (that were later ported to the PS2), enhanced ports of the last two games in the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Splinter Cell, Madden, etc. Then the DS blew the doors off the market with full-featured new entries in major Nintendo franchises (as opposed to the GBA's ports or outsourced titles), the Brain Age/Brain Training series, massive success for Japanese 3rd parties, highly successful new IPs, and almost anywhere else you could imagine (EXCEPT major Western 3rd party support). While Nintendo and Japanese devs saw the DS as a full-featured independent system in its own right, Western devs continued to treat it exactly as they'd treated the GBA, and so their performance on the system mirrored the GBA closely. At the time this may have been hard to see, but given the massive success Japanese publishers had on the DS (both in Japan and worldwide), in hindsight Western 3rd parties made a huge mistake in ignoring the system to the extent that they did.

Then again, if they had had the insight to recognize what the DS meant, they also would have been better equipped to capitalize on the Wii as well and the entire market wouldn't be in the situation it is today. If they could have seen what this meant, we wouldn't be needing to point it out in the first place.

Chris FOM on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I honestly cannot understand why people want more Kingdom Hearts. That series is a fucking mess and dumb as hell. Way more so than Final Fantasy.

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    Chris FOM wrote: »
    Even though it's really only a side point to your post, I am kind of wondering what portable systems you'd say had good non-japanese developer support? Because other than the fractured market leading to the "cutting edge" games going to the PSP, the DS doesn't really seem all that different from the GBA.

Absolutely. This was a follow-up post to another huge wall-o-text I had in the last thread, but you're exactly right. Western 3rd parties had traditionally treated handhelds as targets for low-budget tie-ins (either to kids TV shows or movies, or as a spin-off to a bigger mainline game franchise). There were very few Western 3rd parties that treated handhelds with any seriousness at all. But before this generation that could be justified. The GBA sold tons of hardware (something like 30 million in the US alone), but it was never a major software mover in terms of sales or as a development target. Even Nintendo treated it as a haven for SNES remakes along with a few smaller franchises that could thrive because of their small budget rather than in spite of it.

But with the DS and the PSP all of that changed. The PSP actually shook the image first, with people talking about finally bringing PS2-level gaming to a handheld. Rather than cutdown versions of major franchises, the PSP got full-blown GTA games (that were later ported to the PS2), enhanced ports of the last two games in the Prince of Persia Sands of Time trilogy, Splinter Cell, Madden, etc. Then the DS blew the doors off the market with full-featured new entries in major Nintendo franchises (as opposed to the GBA's ports or outsourced titles), the Brain Age/Brain Training series, massive success for Japanese 3rd parties, highly successful new IPs, and almost anywhere else you could imagine (EXCEPT major Western 3rd party support). While Nintendo and Japanese devs saw the DS as a full-featured independent system in its own right, Western devs continued to treat it exactly as they'd treated the GBA, and so their performance on the system mirrored the GBA closely. At the time this may have been hard to see, but given the massive success Japanese publishers had on the DS (both in Japan and worldwide), in hindsight Western 3rd parties made a huge mistake in ignoring the system to the extent that they did.

Then again, if they had had the insight to recognize what the DS meant, they also would have been better equipped to capitalize on the Wii as well and the entire market wouldn't be in the situation it is today. If they could have seen what this meant, we wouldn't be needing to point it out in the first place.

I already replied to your big post in the last thread, so I'm not going to bother reposting it here, but I still think you're confusing a lot of that PSP support. Western third parties still gave the PSP shit support. Those GTA Stories? Essentially PS2 ports with different stories, which were then ported back to the PS2, killing the PSP versions. Enhanced PoP's? They weren't enhanced at all, they were straight ports with different names to make them seem like they were newer. Splinter Cell? Hyped as a real installment in the series, delivered as a half assed piece of crap akin to Ubisoft's attempts on the DS. Madden? Far as I can remember, there were huge problems with it. Extremely long load times, game breaking glitches and the rest.

Western publishers look at handhelds in pretty much the exact same way they looked at consoles in the PS1/N64 gen. Make a quick buck on the PS1 with some downports and halfassed efforts but keep the real stuff on the PC. I expect they'll adapt eventually.
    Adus wrote: »
    I honestly cannot understand why people want more Kingdom Hearts. That series is a fucking mess and dumb as hell. Way more so than Final Fantasy.

Seriously. I'm not sure how anyone can whine about FF when they're at least different from installment to installment (barring the odd direct sequel). Kingdom Hearts though, is a clusterfuck of stupidity and really needs to be rebooted.

Unco-ordinated on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    I worked at Blockbuster when they switched over to their 'no late fee' thing which was like back in 2005 or something. I am really shocked they have hung on this long, because late fees were pretty much the only way they made any money. It was such an obviously stupid move. I'm ashamed to admit I actually tried to go back there maybe two years ago or so and it was impossible to find an opening, even at the store I worked at which had the same manager who knew I was good. That store has since closed, and it was really high volume, too. Was constantly packed on weekends. I find it hard to believe any stores make anything close to a profit anymore.

Well obviously they don't or this wouldn't be a problem. I don't know why they're even still trying.

I don't know what American BB did, but Canadian BB eventually ditched the whole no late fee thing. And while I was pissed they did so with zero word on it (just one day, hello $2 late fee), it was probably one hell of a good move, and maybe the reason they're not going bankrupt. Just ignoring the whole bit of profits like you mentioned, it also meant that nothing was ever in. No late fee means no fear of a bill for not returning, means no incentive to return the product so other people could use it. I routinely kept games for 2+ weeks, simply because I was too lazy to return them, usually waiting until I got an automated phone call warning me to return it. And I obviously wasn't the only one, since like I said, nearly everything you might be interested in renting was always out.

T'was a good idea at the time, but late fees are the only thing that keeps the product circulating so other people can rent them.

So... on a tangent note... does anybody know of any sort of Gamefly service for Canada? Even though Blockbuster is still up and running here, the one that was a 5 minute walk from my house actually shut down, and the next closest one is too bloody far to be worth the damn hassle.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Cross posting because we were talking about the 3DS's launch software earlier...

Wired reveals the last couple of augmented reality games, the short of it is billiards/mini-golf and fishing that warps your table into a small obstacle course / pool of water.

And this is supposedly the first round of review scores from Famitsu, if case anyone cares:

nintendogs + cats (3DS) – 10/9/9/10
    Samurai Warriors: Chronicles (3DS) – 9/9/8/8
    Super Street Fighter IV 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/9
    PES 2011 3D (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
    Professor Layton and the Mask or Miracle (3DS) – 8/8/8/8
    Ridge Racer 3D (3DS) – 8/8/7/9
    Super Monkey Ball 3D (3DS) – 9/8/8/7
    Shanghai 3D Cube (3DS) – 7/7/7/5
    Combat of Giants: Dinosaurs 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6
    Puzzle Bobble 3D (3DS) – 6/6/6/6

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    After FFXIII and FFXIV, hell throw FFXII in there for me too, I think it's time for the FF series to just die already. I haven't even bothered looking at versus or whatever. I have lived with the abuse too long. NO MORE.

I'd love Kingdom Hearts 3 though. Kingdom Hearts 1+2 were better than any other recent RPG offering square has made. And quite a few non-RPG offerings too.

Astale on
    edited February 2011
    Astale wrote: »
    After FFXIII and FFXIV, hell throw FFXII in there for me too, I think it's time for the FF series to just die already. I haven't even bothered looking at versus or whatever. I have lived with the abuse too long. NO MORE.

I'd love Kingdom Hearts 3 though. Kingdom Hearts 1+2 were better than any other recent RPG offering square has made. And quite a few non-RPG offerings too.

I wish FF9 hadn't been kind of a disappointment for them (following 7 and 8). It's the sort of shot in the arm the series needs, go back to your slightly-less-bullshit fantasy origins without any fancy mechanics or weird decisions like corridor-linearity. Basically do what Dragon Quest has been doing for ages to great success. And no more direct sequels either.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Versus looks like it's going to be Kingdom Hearts: Serious Edition. You might like it.

reVerse on
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man every time I see Layton vs. Wright on any list I remember its a real thing and not just my childhood imagination popping in to say hello again.

Can't wait.

Have we gotten any confirmation that this is getting translated into English yet? Last I heard there were no solid plans.

Also, I'll be curious to see if Layton 4 gets as good a localization as the others did, now that Nintendo's no longer publishing. Chris at Wired said he saw a quick translation and it was pretty rough. Then again, that was months ago.

Edit: Also, Wired noted there's still no concrete plans to bring Layton 4 over yet. Surely nothing to worry about yet... I hope.

No, I'm pretty sure Layton 4 is covered by Nintendo's deal with them. It's Layton 5 (3DS) that isn't.

I cant even picture a reason why they wouldn't bring Layton 4, 5 and Vs. Wright over.

Layton, in any form, sells so well here it's insane.

And while Phoenix Wright is clearly more niche, it's always gotten positive reviews, and there's no way someone who wants a Layton game would NOT purchase it just because Wright is in it.

Also, if it didn't come out here it would be proof that I will never truely find happiness, which can't happen. it just cant.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • AstaleAstale Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    reVerse wrote: »

Versus looks like it's going to be Kingdom Hearts: Serious Edition. You might like it.

Maybe, but at this point I just don't want to encourage them. :?

Astale on
    edited February 2011

I wish FF9 hadn't been kind of a disappointment for them (following 7 and 8). It's the sort of shot in the arm the series needs, go back to your slightly-less-bullshit fantasy origins without any fancy mechanics or weird decisions like corridor-linearity. Basically do what Dragon Quest has been doing for ages to great success. And no more direct sequels either.

Because it'd be so much better if they were both almost exactly the same? I like that they're both so different. It means I can play Dragon Quest for my traditional JRPG and Final Fantasy for the more character based stories with constantly evolving mechanics. Don't like that and you've got a simple option, don't buy it.

The issues with Square Enix seem to be mostly that their developers aren't equipped to make big games, probably due to a pretty antiquated approach to development. Hopefully Versus is a sign of that changing though, because everything I've seen of it looks amazing.

I do think they need to cut down on the spinoffs though. A couple could just be renamed and made their own franchises (FF Crystal Chronicles becoming just Crystal Chronicles) and Versus XIII should just be renamed FFXV.
    I cant even picture a reason why they wouldn't bring Layton 4, 5 and Vs. Wright over.

Layton, in any form, sells so well here it's insane.

And while Phoenix Wright is clearly more niche, it's always gotten positive reviews, and there's no way someone who wants a Layton game would NOT purchase it just because Wright is in it.

Also, if it didn't come out here it would be proof that I will never truely find happiness, which can't happen. it just cant.

Well yeah, Level 5 didn't set up their own US and UK offices for nothing. Capcom will be publishing Layton vs Wright though.

Also, Phoenix Wright was hardly niche at all.

Unco-ordinated on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I loved the hell out of FF9 and was shocked to find out that so many people pooh-pooh it. While the plot wasn't perfect, it was charming and fun.

Ah well. While FF13 and 14 definitely eroded the market's good will toward the series, it still has enough interest to be a decent seller. Didn't FF13-2 show up reasonably high in the recent "I want to buy" survey?

And Kingdom Hearts. I was hyped as hell for the first two, but I'm definitely done with the series. I've said it before, but I'm shocked that Disney let Squeenix make an original plot that started out baffling and just got worse from there. I'm not saying the original plot has to be dumb or anything, but I swear, the plot is incomprehensible even by crazy RPG standards. And they're only getting worse. "Dream Drop Distance?" Oy. The combat is fun and the Disney stuff is superbly handled, but I don't think I can bring myself to wade through all the other crap again.

I really do think Layton vs. Wright has a good shot of being ported over, especially since Capcom has been good about releasing niche titles. I just hope Level 5 doesn't balk at Phoenix's moderate sales in the U.S. and think the (likely high) localization costs wouldn't be worth it.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited February 2011

Because it'd be so much better if they were both almost exactly the same? I like that they're both so different. It means I can play Dragon Quest for my traditional JRPG and Final Fantasy for the more character based stories with constantly evolving mechanics. Don't like that and you've got a simple option, don't buy it.

Why does FF returning to some of its roots imply that it'd be exactly like DQ?

FF9 is hardly anything like Dragon Quest. It's a very character-based story and does have some more advanced mechanics than you typically see in DQ, but not off-the-wall like MMO-style combat or the license board or breaking monsters or whatever.

In fact I think the perfect FF game right now would be an FF12 style medieval setting with a mix of FF9/FF10 battle mechanics.

UncleSporky on
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yea, with how well the Layton games sell here (and why wouldn't they, they're awesome) I really don't see Level 5 suddenly deciding to not give us the rest of them.

Also Layton vs Phoenix Wright will come here, if it didn't I would lose all faith in the world. (Also Last Window...right? :( )

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Is it just me, or did he conspicuously leave off one major player in that relationship?

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I'd have to agree. I loved the hell out of FF9 and was shocked to find out that so many people pooh-pooh it. While the plot wasn't perfect, it was charming and fun.

To me, FF9 was the last great Final Fantasy. It was charming and the story was fun, and I loved the characters, for the most part. Steiner and Vivi made that game worth playing all on their own.
    Ah well. While FF13 and 14 definitely eroded the market's good will toward the series, it still has enough interest to be a decent seller. Didn't FF13-2 show up reasonably high in the recent "I want to buy" survey?

And Kingdom Hearts. I was hyped as hell for the first two, but I'm definitely done with the series. I've said it before, but I'm shocked that Disney let Squeenix make an original plot that started out baffling and just got worse from there. I'm not saying the original plot has to be dumb or anything, but I swear, the plot is incomprehensible even by crazy RPG standards. And they're only getting worse. "Dream Drop Distance?" Oy. The combat is fun and the Disney stuff is superbly handled, but I don't think I can bring myself to wade through all the other crap again.

I really do think Layton vs. Wright has a good shot of being ported over, especially since Capcom has been good about releasing niche titles. I just hope Level 5 doesn't balk at Phoenix's moderate sales in the U.S. and think the (likely high) localization costs wouldn't be worth it.

I would have loved to hear that development meeting where they decided the name of the game. "Herp derp, get it! Dream Drop Distance....it stands for 3DS! Mwahahaha, we're so cleverz!"

Oy, what happened Square, I used to love you.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

The issues with Square Enix seem to be mostly that their developers aren't equipped to make big games, probably due to a pretty antiquated approach to development. Hopefully Versus is a sign of that changing though, because everything I've seen of it looks amazing.

My problem with Final Fantasy's evolving mechanics is that when they stumble upon an incredibly cool system—like materia in VII or the flexible sphere board in X—they just move on and try out new stuff.

I mean, with how popular VII is, for example, you would think they would want to replicate that a bit in other games. Crisis Core uses materia, but it's not the same system at all.

I agree and think Square-Enix could really use some better management. One doesn't really need to be more specific than FF 14 as an example of why.

Paragon on
    edited February 2011
    Paragon wrote: »
    My problem with Final Fantasy's evolving mechanics is that when they stumble upon an incredibly cool system—like materia in VII or the flexible sphere board in X—they just move on and try out new stuff.

I mean, with how popular VII is, for example, you would think they would want to replicate that a bit in other games. Crisis Core uses materia, but it's not the same system at all.

I agree and think Square-Enix could really use some better management. One doesn't really need to be more specific than FF 14 as an example of why.

Right! Or FFX being turn-based with no active time nonsense, and all party members were swappable at any time. It really felt like the whole team was there for once.

Personally I was glad they used the AP/JP system for several games back then (FFT, FFTA, FF9).

UncleSporky on
    edited February 2011
    Final Fantasy Tactics, perfection defined in gaming. Sure the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu", but the gameplay was absolutely addictive and fantastic.

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Final Fantasy Tactics, perfection defined in gaming. Sure the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu", but the gameplay was absolutely addictive and fantastic.

Indeed. Though the new Tactics Ogre remix my top it now.

Tactics A and A2 we just not as good as Tactics.

Automaticzen on
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
    edited February 2011
    Why does FF returning to some of its roots imply that it'd be exactly like DQ?

FF9 is hardly anything like Dragon Quest. It's a very character-based story and does have some more advanced mechanics than you typically see in DQ, but not off-the-wall like MMO-style combat or the license board or breaking monsters or whatever.

In fact I think the perfect FF game right now would be an FF12 style medieval setting with a mix of FF9/FF10 battle mechanics.

Exactly like DQ in that it would stick more to its roots and have similar settings between them all. I may've liked your perfect FF game but would I like another ten slowly evolving that same system? Eh. Right now, I like that each game has a completely different setting, story and mechanics. They just need to, you know, actually finish them.

Good shot? There's a 100% chance it will be localised by either Level 5 themselves or, more likely, Capcom. Both companies know full well how incredibly popular Layton is, it paid for Level 5's swanky looking offices (use google, they're impressive), their second studio (working on Time Travellers) and their new US/UK offices. It's about as easy a prediction as you can get this side of there'll be a new Call of Duty this year.

Also, localise, not port.

Warlock: And who exactly would that be?

Paragon: Yeah, I'd agree it can get a bit annoying but at least they're not endlessly recycling the same exact systems with each installment, ala Activision. If they didn't, then I don't think they ever would've created my favourite JRPG battle system (FFX-2's).

Unco-ordinated on
    edited February 2011
    Layton's a Gentleman, he'd never keep us waiting. :P

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sure the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu"

This was fixed in War of the Lions, by actually getting a translation that didn't amount to "Run through Babelfish, put in game"

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
    edited February 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    Sure the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu"

This was fixed in War of the Lions, by actually getting a translation that didn't amount to "Run through Babelfish, put in game"

In WotL, the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu, for sooth."

UncleSporky on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know it's highly unlikely, but do we know any numbers for how Deadly Premonition sold? I just finished it last night and would dearly love SWERY to get to make another game and build on its ideas.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png