As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :shock:

I thought they were getting little tramp stamps or some shit? is that thing real?

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »
    :shock:

I thought they were getting little tramp stamps or some shit? is that thing real?

It's henna :lol:
    I dread to see what you will have cooked up...

It's glorious :rotate:

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    boooooo

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pookiepoo wrote: »
    BubbaT wrote: »
    Excellent grapple-fest in last night SF Challengers event, Lyle Beerbohm vs Pat Healy

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xh3q3i_beerbohm-vs-healy_sport

Also very competent commentating due to the absence of Gus.

I am really late to post about this but these SF events are pure comedy. One comment during the SF:Challengers event this weekend really stuck with me. After Ryan Couture won via submission,

"This just goes to show that ju jitsu still works in MMA"

The fighters would walk out with a history of 9 sub victories and 2 KO victories and all the commentators would mention were the KOs. Each fight was hyped as a stand-and-bang and yet all but one ended by submission. I don't know what audience they were targeting because it clearly wasn't the hardcore MMA fans that are actually watching SF. Casual crossover fans from boxing? People that happen to be watching late-night Showtime hoping for nudie bits?

No one targets the "hardcore" MMA fan in their hype/promos. No one needs to - the hardcore fan is going to watch everything anyways. Do you think the hardcore fan was the target audience for TUF: Kimbo, or BROCK-tober?

BubbaT on
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peter Ebel wrote: »
    Be sure to check out Rogan's next podcast. It has Bas Rutten!

He's been talking about getting Bas on for the past few shows. I've been waiting for it to happen. SQUEEE!! I'll bet Bas has some of the best street fight stories. Probably just some of the best stories in general.

I won't be able to go to the grappling competition that I wanted to go to on March 5th. Family stuff. Poop. Next one won't be until May or June. Oh well...time to work on takedowns and takedown defense. :D

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    PookiepooPookiepoo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You don't need to target the hardcore fan base to at all be honest about the sport we are watching. Who was doubting that ju jutsu still works in MMA? An equivalent would be a football commentator announcing: there you have it folks, field goals still earn you three points.

I have no problem with hyping fighters as exciting but aren't submissions exciting? Two great grapplers can make for a fantastic fight but these commentators just wanted to talk about how a guy with Demian Maia's record has one knockout. Wouldn't you rather know that he is a bear trap on the ground? Seemed silly to me.

Pookiepoo on
    Steam: Pookie GG Now Playing: BattleTech, Divinity Original Sin 2, MechWarrior 5
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, you cannot hate Rich Franklin. I'm hyped to see that giant ass tattoo in his next fight. Still wondering who he will fight.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Word on the blogs is that Strikeforce has already messed up their tournament scheduling. The April event may be taking place in CA which means no Barnett which means at least that fight has to be pushed back.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Just hope they are not pulling a "oh snap, we didn't want it to go down this way, lets do it again"

Fedor v Overeem is still a huge cash cow.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Should've had each round at the same event...

Inquisitor77 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Diego Sanchez says no more fights at 155 and also drops his "Nightmare" nickname

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Diego Sanchez says no more fights at 155 and also drops his "Nightmare" nickname

Diego "The pussycat" Sanchez doesn't have the same ring to it, tho. He should think on it.
    Diego is all man. I am making fun of bad nicknames. As if this needed to be stated.

Come to think of it- What are the worst MMA nick names?
    I have it a tie - "Dean of Mean" vs "Muscle Shark"

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mojojoeo wrote: »

Diego "The pussycat" Sanchez doesn't have the same ring to it, tho. He should think on it.
    Diego is all man. I am making fun of bad nicknames. As if this needed to be stated.

Ha, I love both of those actually.

I dislike generic ones, like "The Pitbul".

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    Raoulduke20Raoulduke20 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just hope they are not pulling a "oh snap, we didn't want it to go down this way, lets do it again"

Fedor v Overeem is still a huge cash cow.

To be fair Fedor v Werdum 2 is also a great fight, even if it's less marketable, and one of the two will be happening according to Coker. I don't understand how they could just forget that Barnett can't fight in California and book him for an event there. As long as no one pulls out I don't give a shit, but I'm still not confident things will all go smoothly, even with M1 out of the picture now.

And I don't know what the worst nickname is, but I think Jesse Water Bongfeldt is hilarious.

Raoulduke20 on
    signatureih.jpg
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ryan Bader's nickname is the only interesting thing about him. :^:

815165 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    The Dean of Mean is one of the best nicknames a fighter's ever had. So catchy.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    815165 wrote: »

Truth.

"The Last Emperor" is really cool, but prone to being over-used. Not the sort of name that the announcer calls you before a fight. Kinda like Captain America for Randy; he has it, but its more an embodiment of who he is as a fighter as opposed to a name.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This is possibly something you want to read

Also, BAS RUTTEN ON JOE ROGAN'S PODCAST!!!

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Muscle Shark is terrible.

What does that even mean, dude?

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ShadowenShadowen Snores in the morning LoserdomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A shark.

On steroids and testosterone injections.

Bull shark testosterone.

Shadowen on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty much over Joe Rogan. He's a hippy moron.

That could beat the shit out of me but he's way too much of a hippy for that.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm pretty sure he got the nickname when he was fighting in Japan. That pretty much says it all, I think.

Joe Rogan rules. You shut your dirty whore mouth, Justin.

Brandon Vera is coming back to the UFC. When we figure out why, we'll let you know.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I'm pretty sure he got the nickname when he was fighting in Japan. That pretty much says it all, I think.

Brandon Vera is coming back to the UFC. When we figure out why, we'll let you know.

Its cause thiago got busted and the last fight will be ruled a NC.

Bloody elbow has it.
    It has been learned that the result of (Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva) is expected to be changed to a "no contest" following additional scrutiny of Silva's post-fight drug test, and the promotion has rescinded Vera's release, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com.

As of now, Vera merely is back on the roster and does not have a pending booking. Until this past week, he was medically suspended for a broken nose he sustained in the third round of the Silva fight, which took place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I've heard that the first international TUF might be in the Philippines, so maybe they want him back as a coach?

Dunno if it matters though, since most Filipino people I know are pretty indifferent to Vera.

/edit\

Oh shit, Thiago was caught juicing?

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man, these guys really need to cycle better.

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    SpectrumSpectrum Archer of Inferno Chaldea Rec RoomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thiago did look huger than usual in that fight.

Spectrum on
    XNnw6Gk.jpg
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    preemptive "BJ Penn is so focused"

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It means he's JAWESOME.

Also, omahgawd it's El Guapo.

OH MAH GAWD JORGE RIVERA YOU GLORIOUS BASTARD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNUJTFjT4iY&feature=player_embedded

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I see from reading Riveras intro that Ariel Helwani's questions to him made a dent, in that "are you just giving shit to Brits / insulting him for being a Brit" and more importantly his insinuation that Bisping got an STD from a Koala when his GF / mother of his children is an Aussie and Koala is slang for Aussie women (although I never heard that in the year I lived there).

Still, Rivera is mildly funny and 100% correct that we give and take far more shit than this on a daily basis over here, if Bisping actually did request that guy wasn't at the weigh in he needs to man the fuck up.

Edit: and to give a fair and balanced news feed:

http://www.mmafighting.com/2011/02/22/tables-turn-in-trash-talk-battle-between-jorge-rivera-and-michae/
    "This is a press conference, by the way, Jorge," Bisping added, turning to address his opponent, who sat on the other side of the podium with a baseball cap pulled down low over his eyes. "This is what you do. I know it's your first time being involved in something like this. Welcome to the big leagues. After this you'll be back to the undercard, believe me."

:D

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Its cause thiago got busted and the last fight will be ruled a NC.

Bloody elbow has it.
    It has been learned that the result of (Brandon Vera vs. Thiago Silva) is expected to be changed to a "no contest" following additional scrutiny of Silva's post-fight drug test, and the promotion has rescinded Vera's release, sources close to the event told MMAjunkie.com.

As of now, Vera merely is back on the roster and does not have a pending booking. Until this past week, he was medically suspended for a broken nose he sustained in the third round of the Silva fight, which took place Jan. 1 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena in Las Vegas.

I know why. I was making a joke about Brandon Vera not deserving to be in the UFC, juicers or not.

I didn't make that clear, though. Haha.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He called up Dana White and cried for an hour. The tears ran out of his cracked skull.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2011

This is possibly something you want to read

Also, BAS RUTTEN ON JOE ROGAN'S PODCAST!!!

Getting KO'd in street fights sounds about right for Fernando Vargas these days.

As far as nicknames, can we drop "The Prodigy" for BJ Penn yet? He's not some teenage whizkid anymore.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Lots of free prelim fights on Saturday starting at 5PM EST on Facebook

Ion TV: Ross Pearson vs. Spencer Fisher [LW]
    Ion TV: James Te-Huna vs. Alexander Gustafsson [LHW]
    Ion TV: Nick Ring vs. Riki Fukuda [MW]
    Facebook.com/UFC: Anthony Perosh vs. Tom Blackledge [LHW]
    Facebook.com/UFC:Zhang Tie Quan vs. Jason Reinhardt [FW]

Also, :lol: at Vera's excuses for getting his ass handed to him. I really hope that Thiago Silva doesn't get popped for roids. :/

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    sigh
    put the nick ring and spencer fisher fight online!
    bah

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »

Truth.

"The Last Emperor" is really cool, but prone to being over-used. Not the sort of name that the announcer calls you before a fight. Kinda like Captain America for Randy; he has it, but its more an embodiment of who he is as a fighter as opposed to a name.
    What. Randy is "The Natural".

Also Bas Rutten appeared on the Biggest:Loser.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    did he blow his whistle and tell them it was push up time
    and then made them eat vegetables by cramming cabbages into their face?

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    WTF is Ion TV? Is Versus booked already?

Just put all the prelims on Spike. Have one guy dress like a ninja and the other like Al Capone and tell Spike it's an episode of Deadliest Warrior.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Just put all the prelims on Spike. Have one guy dress like a ninja and the other like Al Capone and tell Spike it's an episode of Deadliest Warrior.

They put some prelims on Ion TV a few events ago, too. I feel like the goddamn prelims are all over the place, lately. :?

MayGodHaveMercy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

It's all contracting issues. They have a certain amount of times they can show fights on Versus, Spike, etc. so they have to find outlets like Ion and Facebook if they don't want to breach their contracts.

Why Spike and Versus wouldn't want MORE UFC is beyond me, but that's apparently the reasoning for the odd channels.

ChillyWilly on