As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Dragon Age Thread - [Please post in new thread]

• Options
    Torso BoyTorso Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Anyone know if it's even possible to add an overhead camera with a mod? It sounds feasible, even if increased verticality in level design makes it somewhat problematic. On that note, how about click-for-every-attack?

These issues have been cited as dealbreakers for some, so I wonder whether or not the mod community can actually address them.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    AoE seems ridiculously overpowered in this game, with no friendly fire really I am making an all AoE team. 2 mages, archer and 2 hand warrior should do the trick.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dashui wrote: »
    And speaking of BG2 combat, since a few people are talking about it, it sucked. Badly. It was terrible. Those D&D PC rules could hurtle themselves off a cliff.

Why do you say things that hurt?
    It's a pain in the ass in Planescape: Torment

Oh, well, yeah. I can't disagree there. The magic missiles were cooler, though.

But dog both Icewind Dale games were about the combat, the combat and nothing but the combat. You're breaking my d6, man. You're breaking all my d6es.

Love is over!
    thac0 up in your grilllllllll

you must gather your partyyyyy

before venturing fooorrrrttthhh

boo will misss yoouuuu

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decoy wrote: »
    jefe414 wrote: »
    Now I'm disappointed I didn't know about the signature edition until after it was no longer able for pre-order.

Best thing we can do is get the game new as cheap as possible and then use the savings to buy the $7 Sebastian DLC. For instance, I got the game for $47 off of D2D, this past weekend. That plus $7 is like buying a new $49.99 game with tax added.

Honestly, I'm fine forgoing the 4 in-game items that come with the SE, since we can get plenty of other items through other means (sign-up, demo, DA:L, etc.). And as far as the soundtrack goes, I'll hear it when I'm playing the game, so... yeah.

Forgoing the four in-game items that come with the Signature Edition? You mean the Black Emporium stuff? Because those come with all new copies of the game. They're not restricted to the Signature Edition. I believe the only extra content that does come with the Signature Edition for free is the Exiled Prince DLC.

Pre-ordering gives you access to 2 other items (The Lion of Orlais Shield, The Fadeshear Sword) not in the SE. While buying new to get the Black Emporium just gives you: the dog, the mirror and "Access to exclusive Magic and Crafting Stores". If those 4 items (Apostates Courage, Seeker Bulwark, Adder of Antiva, and Might of the Stern) are in the stores, then belay my last.

Decoy on
  • Options
    4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fizban140 wrote: »
    AoE seems ridiculously overpowered in this game, with no friendly fire really I am making an all AoE team. 2 mages, archer and 2 hand warrior should do the trick.

There won't be any friendly fire on harder difficulty settings? I remember that's kind of how it was in DA:O where there was no FF in the lower difficulties and then when you ramped it up you started killing yourself.

4rch3nemy on
  • Options
    GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Torso Boy wrote: »
    Anyone know if it's even possible to add an overhead camera with a mod? It sounds feasible, even if increased verticality in level design makes it somewhat problematic. On that note, how about click-for-every-attack?

These issues have been cited as dealbreakers for some, so I wonder whether or not the mod community can actually address them.

I'm not really sure. I never played with the DA:O mod tools enough to see what you could and couldn't do, but they seemed pretty powerful. I would imagine that DA2 is built on an extended version of the same scripting and game engine, so we'll see. I hope it's possible.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    4rch3nemy wrote: »

There won't be any friendly fire on harder difficulty settings? I remember that's kind of how it was in DA:O where there was no FF in the lower difficulties and then when you ramped it up you started killing yourself.

In DAO it was something like 50% FF on normal, 100% on hard and above (and I think it was nerfed a bit more on consoles), in DAII FF is only active on Insanity IIRC.

That alone might make me play Insanity, since I kind of feel cheap being able to use AOE attacks on my teammates without consequence.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tim James wrote: »
    Did anyone notice that if you try to teleport-backstab through the ogre's charge, you'll come out doing a knockback animation? For all the talk about the new direct/1:1 combat in DA2, I was very disappointed that they still left this "old school RPG combat" glitch in there.

I guess you can reason that he's not literally teleporting, so within the universe he probably still got knocked down by the charge as he snuck around to do the backstab. But it would have been a clever ability for certain tactical situations, like avoiding boss monster special attacks. Kind of like teleporting in Dawn of War II, if anyone's played that.

I did confirm that if you get close enough to an enemy on a ledge, you can teleport up without having to walk up the ramp. That might come in handy.

use your backflip if you want to do sweet dodges
    That's not a sweet dodge. A sweet dodge is teleporting through someone and then backstabbing them. Except we don't get the dodge part because this is still an old fashioned RPG underneath all the flash.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Did anyone notice that if you try to teleport-backstab through the ogre's charge, you'll come out doing a knockback animation? For all the talk about the new direct/1:1 combat in DA2, I was very disappointed that they still left this "old school RPG combat" glitch in there.

I guess you can reason that he's not literally teleporting, so within the universe he probably still got knocked down by the charge as he snuck around to do the backstab. But it would have been a clever ability for certain tactical situations, like avoiding boss monster special attacks. Kind of like teleporting in Dawn of War II, if anyone's played that.

I did confirm that if you get close enough to an enemy on a ledge, you can teleport up without having to walk up the ramp. That might come in handy.

use your backflip if you want to do sweet dodges
    That's not a sweet dodge. A sweet dodge is teleporting through someone and then backstabbing them. Except we don't get the dodge part because this is still an old fashioned RPG underneath all the flash.

I think this has something to do with timing, or maybe it's a bug. I experienced what you're talking about, but at the same time you're given the opportunity to simply walk out of the way of most of the ogre's attacks, unlike DAO which works like "an old fashioned RPG." Either the backstab was activated too late, it's a bug, or maybe it's an intentional nerf. Maybe it'll be different in the final release.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    What's Insanity's other gimmick?

Or is friendly fire the only gimmick?

I have no problem with having Carver serve as my party's Wolverine. Charging into battle with a health potion sticking out of his mouth, his charred flesh sloughing off his indestructible impossiblium bones after being incinerated in a flash of familial hatred etc and so forth adjective esquire is all well and good, right, but doing it with something silly like 200% enemy health and damage would probably prove less than heroic.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    reddeathreddeath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Cabezone wrote: »
    The combat in DA2 can be played almost exactly the same as DA1. The only major difference I can see is it's now much more interesting to watch and you can no longer detach the camera from your party.

If that minor difference is enough to make you not buy the game you clearly didn't like DA1 all that much.

Ah yes, the time honored PA thread "You disagree with me about a game, thus I am going to tell you how you must really feel" response.

It wouldn't be the penny arcade dragon age thread if there wasn't a massive upheaval, dogpiling, and cries of impassioned, barely thought-out, wildly varying forms of 'nuh-uh' every single time a person isn't loving the idea of fighting like a general and thinking like a spartan to the bone.

Personally the deal breakers on this demo for me (aside from negative feelings from bad PR) are the camera, namely lack of zoomed out angle, the rather poor console framerates on both my PS3(far worse than 360, reminds me of DA:O, but hey a dev said it runs fine on his fairydust edition PS3, so thats just my imagination or broken console) and 360 put me off buying the game on there, and the PC, on an SLI gtx 580 system and an overclocked i7 the game constantly stutters in conversation when I have vsync on, and I'm not going to play on a 30 inch IPS LCD without vsync, I assume this is a bug which will be addressed eventually.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, definitely a steam sale purchase when it's included with all it's dlc. Demo really failed to win me over as far as a 60$ buy goes, and reinforced the notion of the game I already had.

People worried it would be dumbed down and play more like a 3rd person action game than a traditional RPG. They were right, go figure. Still, looks ripe for a 19.99 sale down the road.

reddeath on
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2011
    reddeath wrote: »
    The combat in DA2 can be played almost exactly the same as DA1. The only major difference I can see is it's now much more interesting to watch and you can no longer detach the camera from your party.

If that minor difference is enough to make you not buy the game you clearly didn't like DA1 all that much.

Ah yes, the time honored PA thread "You disagree with me about a game, thus I am going to tell you how you must really feel" response.

It wouldn't be the penny arcade dragon age thread if there wasn't a massive upheaval, dogpiling, and cries of impassioned, barely thought-out, wildly varying forms of 'nuh-uh' every single time a person isn't loving the idea of fighting like a general and thinking like a spartan to the bone.

Personally the deal breakers on this demo for me (aside from negative feelings from bad PR) are the camera, namely lack of zoomed out angle, the rather poor console framerates on both my PS3(far worse than 360, reminds me of DA:O, but hey a dev said it runs fine on his fairydust edition PS3, so thats just my imagination or broken console) and 360 put me off buying the game on there, and the PC, on an SLI gtx 580 system and an overclocked i7 the game constantly stutters in conversation when I have vsync on, and I'm not going to play on a 30 inch IPS LCD without vsync, I assume this is a bug which will be addressed eventually.

I've said it before, I'll say it again, definitely a steam sale purchase when it's included with all it's dlc. Demo really failed to win me over as far as a 60$ buy goes, and reinforced the notion of the game I already had.

People worried it would be dumbed down and play more like a 3rd person action game than a traditional RPG. They were right, go figure. Still, looks ripe for a 19.99 sale down the road.

I don't want to insult you...but...well I will just say your dealbreaker is your own fault.

Turn on DX9 you goose.

My computer is half of yours and runs it perfectly.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I don't want to insult you...but...well I will just say your dealbreaker is your own fault.

Turn on DX9 you goose.

What? He should be able to run in the DX11 mode perfectly fine, without it stuttering. How is it HIS fault that BioWare's DX11 renderer is a hunk of crap? (Or at least appears to be for him, it ran okay for me on my HD6870).

GnomeTank on
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People worried it would be dumbed down and play more like a 3rd person action game than a traditional RPG. They were right, go figure.

You're entitled to your opinion, and I got no beef with that.

But this, I'm just not seeing. I played the DA2 demo as if it were DA:O. Pausing and giving orders, having Carver draw aggro over there while Bethany Wintergrasps the Ogre and I poof behind him to backstab. I don't think "they" were right at all.

Edit: Also, thread title should be "Dragon Age 2: Nothing but Dealbreakers". Never seen that word tossed around so much...

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    ZarathustraEckZarathustraEck Ubermensch now with stripes!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    reddeath, I'm not sure how the system you described is stuttering. I'm using a 9800 GTX+ (1GB) with no stutter whatsoever, and that's without a second card in SLI.

For what it's worth, they acknowledged that this is the DEMO and a few months old. I'm having trouble with alt-tabbing out and having the game crash (maybe 1 out of every 5 times I do so), and this has been mentioned as a known problem that was fixed.
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    People worried it would be dumbed down and play more like a 3rd person action game than a traditional RPG. They were right, go figure.

But this, I'm just not seeing. I played the DA2 demo as if it were DA:O. Pausing and giving orders, having Carver draw aggro over there while Bethany Wintergrasps the Ogre and I poof behind him to backstab. I don't think "they" were right at all.

Agreed. This plays just like DA:O to me.

ZarathustraEck on
    See you in Town,
    -Z
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Turn on DX9 you goose.

What? He should be able to run in the DX11 mode perfectly fine, without it stuttering. How is it HIS fault that BioWare's DX11 renderer is a hunk of crap? (Or at least appears to be for him, it ran okay for me on my HD6870).

dx11 isn't fully supported in the demo you goose

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    GalactusGoGalactusGo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I used to be a naysayer then I realised that Bioware has done me right for 15 years and I probably have nothing to worry about. Well see. I'm excited...i took a vacation day for march 10.

GalactusGo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Edit: Also, thread title should be "Dragon Age 2: Nothing but Dealbreakers". Never seen that word tossed around so much...

Yes, I can pause and give orders...except it takes three times as long because the camera is terrible for that style of play, and I have to sit and whirly-bird the camera around to get a complete view of the battle field, something you need if you want to sit and give concise orders.

I don't think anyone said you couldn't pause-and-command. People said that with the camera changes and the speed of the game, it doesn't feel at all like DA:O did. The simple ability to pause and give orders was never in question.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

dx11 isn't fully supported in the demo you goose

That's got to be the dumbest thing I've ever seen BioWare do. Why even put it in the demo? For that matter, why release a demo that is a THREE month old, bug ridden build?

If DX11 isn't fully supported in the demo, don't show it as an option. Don't let people form a bad opinion of your game because you were too lazy to remove an unfinished feature from the demo.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only significant difference between how the combat play out, for the PC, is that friendly fire is off. The locked down camera doesn't impact how well you can manage the combat much. The lack of friendly fire does make an impact of tactics but it's likely just a simple INI tweak to enable it.

The game moves faster when unpaused and the combat is flashier but it's essentially the same.

Cabezone on
  • Options
    NovembersChopinNovembersChopin Las VegasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The technical issues will hopefully be patched up. For now, the work around is to disable V Sync ( worked for me on my 5850). I believe the DX11 is also no optimized in this demo.

NovembersChopin on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I'm not following. The technical complaints are valid, although it's been suggested the full release will be better optimized and DX11 isn't available in the demo. The camera complaint is fair.

But how do those things lead you to conclude it's dumbed down, or that it plays like an action game? I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm actually curious about what led you to feel that way.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Basil wrote: »
    What's Insanity's other gimmick?

Or is friendly fire the only gimmick?

They haven't really talked about specifics, but there are supposed to be other mechanics introduced in nightmare that will make it very unfair.

One thing they have talked about, though, is that enemy attacks have much more force. The mechanic that controls knockbacks and knockdowns. You've seen it a lot if you've played an archer in the demo. And this is bad in such a way that if you can't manage your party's threat very well, your squishy characters will be unable to actually do anything since they aren't very good at resisting the force of enemy attacks and will simply be knocked about until they die.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loved the tactical combat in BG2.

So there :-p

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Yes, I can pause and give orders...except it takes three times as long because the camera is terrible for that style of play, and I have to sit and whirly-bird the camera around to get a complete view of the battle field, something you need if you want to sit and give concise orders.

I don't think anyone said you couldn't pause-and-command. People said that with the camera changes and the speed of the game, it doesn't feel at all like DA:O did. The simple ability to pause and give orders was never in question.

I'm not seeing the camera issues either. Pausing and giving orders is lightning fast, I didn't have to fight the camer at all. I can't say you're not having a problem with it obviously, but its not something I'm running into when I play.

I mean, I've only ever played Dragon Age on XBOX, so maybe that has something to do with it, because it doesn't seem like the camera has changed at all.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The only significant difference between how the combat play out, for the PC, is that friendly fire is off. The locked down camera doesn't impact how well you can manage the combat much. The lack of friendly fire does make an impact of tactics but it's likely just a simple INI tweak to enable it.

The game moves faster when unpaused and the combat is flashier but it's essentially the same.

Actually, I feel the locked down camera increases the difficulty of combat. With the camera able to move independently, it was much easier to get a good view of the battle field and locate the optimal place to lay down an area effect spell/ability. Without the free roam ability, its a lot more difficult to figure out where the best place to drop a fireball is.

AspectVoid on
    PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    stopgapstopgap Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    somehow the thought of getting bounced around until death is rather... satisfying. Although im sure what i just said could be misinterpreted.

stopgap on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yar, thanks for the info, Pancake.

That's actually pretty neat. Gives those disengagement abilities a lot more pizazz.

Derrick wrote: »
    I loved the tactical combat in BG2.

So there :-p

Brother!

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I'm not seeing the camera issues either. Pausing and giving orders is lightning fast, I didn't have to fight the camer at all. I can't say you're not having a problem with it obviously, but its not something I'm running into when I play.

I mean, I've only ever played Dragon Age on XBOX, so maybe that has something to do with it, because it doesn't seem like the camera has changed at all.
    It hasn't, for consoles. PC users got an overhead camera as well in DAO. I gather it was well-liked.

Torso Boy on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe I'm just a crank, but it bothered me that Wesley placed his dagger in the middle of his breastplate when he needed the pain to end. Isn't the point of wearing plate mail to make it really hard to do just that? Wouldn't the throat have been a much more convenient target?

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I must be blind. I see no auto-attack option in the radial menu on the 360.

Renzo on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Maybe I'm just a crank, but it bothered me that Wesley placed his dagger in the middle of his breastplate when he needed the pain to end. Isn't the point of wearing plate mail to make it really hard to do just that? Wouldn't the throat have been a much more convenient target?

That bit made me go crosseyed.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    jammujammu 2020 is now. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

It hasn't ... On Xbox.
    On PC version of DA:O I played exclusively on high camera angle with liberal pausing and without any automatic reaction controlling who attacked whom, and when everyone used spells, abilities and potions. I was the party and made ALL the decisions.
    On low angle you lose the view of whole party and can be 'surprised' by spawns spawning spawningly behind your mage. On high angle you see them approaching. On low angle you have to constantly rotate your view to see everything and notice 'ambush' before your mage starts suddenly dieing.

I do like the balancing of the classes with everyone having cool things to do in DA2. I played the original with melee rogue, but ended mostly controlling the mages as there wasn't much to do with melee rogues, apart positioning yourself near enemys posterior.

jammu on
    Ww8FAMg.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011

That would be the issue, yes. The 360 version of DA:O had the same basic camera you are seeing now. The PC version did not, it had a much more advanced camera with much more control. In DA2 the PC camera is the dumb downed console camera.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So now I am starting to understand why so many people are like "I don't get it, the camera is fine!"...many of them played DA:O on the consoles, where they never had the advanced camera anyway. I'm not saying that's everyone, but I think that's where a lot of the "I don't get what you mean" vibe is coming from.

GnomeTank on
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The combat in BG2 was fantastic.

Despite the camera differences and obvious animation differences I don't feel theres much difference between it and DA2 combat style wise. The demo was the tutorial area and a small snippet afterwards on the normal difficulty. I don't really expect the game on normal difficulty to be as hard as its a very different era game hardness wise, ... but thats what the extra difficulty choices are for. I would bet that once you pump up the difficulty that that is where the tactical gameplay will come in.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Seems like a valid complaint then. Not sure if I'd call it a "dealbreaker" but I guess the camera issue makes sense now.

Skull2185 on
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

That would be the issue, yes. The 360 version of DA:O had the same basic camera you are seeing now. The PC version did not, it had a much more advanced camera with much more control. In DA2 the PC camera is the dumb downed console camera.

No overhead camera != Dumbed down. The game is not dumber for lacking it. Losing the ability to see everything on the screen at all times would actually make the game more difficult. So quit making this argument.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Say that instead.

Evangir on
    PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    WassermeloneWassermelone Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Evangir wrote: »
    No overhead camera != Dumbed down. The game is not dumber for lacking it. Losing the ability to see everything on the screen at all times would actually make the game more difficult. So quit making this argument.

If you don't like it, that's fine. Say that instead.

We have a winner.

Wassermelone on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've played DA:O on console and PC, so I get the camera differences. But the overhead camera is not needed in DA2. It's a nice-to-have, but it really has no place in the game, at least as far as I can tell from the demo. And it's a pretty comprehensive demo, as far as combat goes.

Renzo on
This discussion has been closed.