As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

He's Sensational, he's Spectacular, he's the Amazing Spider-Man!

GankGank Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
He's Peter Parker: Spider-Man!, unluckiest nice guy in MU. And he's been out in the rain for a while now...
RomitaSr_Spider-Man_in_the_Rain.jpg
He's done alot in his day! Besides saving countless lives and waxing hilarious he's...

Joined up with The Man and wore this:
iron+spider01.jpg

He got depressed and rebeled against The Man wearing this (again):
316745-64373-spider-man_super.jpg

But then he hit this:
Spider-ManBigTimeAdvert.jpg

And got to look like this:
detail.jpg
and this
Amaz650.jpg

Now he's in two Avengers teams, mentoring a new Spider-Girl:
tumblr_lc49ypKOtf1qdha9bo1_400.jpg

Doesn't even know about the new Venom:
Venom_New_02.jpg

And now he's in the Future Foundation in this:
tumblr_lgosmf2Oj01qz8qfno1_500.jpg

So has it come back to Spidey to be on every team and guest star in every book? Has the Big Time permentantly stemmed the Parker Luck? Have we seen the last of marriage-ruining Devils?

Not too sure, but with people flocking back to the Spider books in droves and this on the way:
550w_spiderman_infested_cover.jpg

I thought this thread was needed now more than ever!

galactussig-1.jpg
Gank on

• Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it's bolder the way it is now.

Caveman Paws on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Now hear this, now hear this

Big time rocks

That is all

Solar on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yay, Spidey has his own thread again.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Might want to slap Spider-Girl and Venom up into the OP

Furu on
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He has a thread, no one was posting to it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128907

cardboard delusions on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seeing that Iron Spider pick reminds me - did anything ever happen with the last surviving Scarlet Spider from Initiative?

Hensler on
    edited February 2011
    Hensler wrote: »
    Seeing that Iron Spider pick reminds me - did anything ever happen with the last surviving Scarlet Spider from Initiative?

Nope! Might be in the Fear Itself Initiative mini.

Furu on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    He has a thread, no one was posting to it: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=128907

I looked for it, I swear!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ASM is one of the top 3 books I get every month. Big Time is the perfect Spider-Man comic, the ideal balance of humor, action and melodrama that made Spidey so beloved.

I am super excited for the new Venom. Slott has done great in the back-ups(by the way, I love that the back-UPS aren't just another Spider-Man story. They spotlight other characters too) but Remender has taken his writing to a whole new level lately and I can't wait to see him write Spec Ops Venom.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited February 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    ASM is one of the top 3 books I get every month. Big Time is the perfect Spider-Man comic, the ideal balance of humor, action and melodrama that made Spidey so beloved.

Hensler on
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone read the early Amazing Spidey issues by Lee and Ditko

And thought that Peter comes off a little snarky to his classmates?

I don't think it's intentional but it is pretty funny

I always thought he kept quiet at school, but it turns out he has a bit of a mouth

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Also the MJ dating Spider-Man gag a few issues back was one of the best examples of physical comedy in comics I've seen.

Well done Slott and Caselli.

Caselli needs to do a Bendis book after he finishes on ASM, he handles big casts well and does fantastic facial expressions

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So do they remember their marriage but just not care anymore?

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
    edited February 2011
    No, they never got married. time was altered. There's nothing to remember.

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    Well, the wedding happened. Peter just didn't show up. But they kept living together, and I think continuity remained about the same, with them living together unmarried, until Aunt May got shot In the new continuity Peter set-up, he was able to save her. This led to Kingpin trying to kill Mary Jane's aunt instead and that finally ended the relationships. Oh, and Strange/Reed/Stark made everyone but Peter and Mary Jane forget about his secret identity shenanigans. So they have memory of all that, but the wedding just never happened, and it seems like Mephisto kind of got screwed on the deal since not much really changed.

Hensler on
    edited February 2011
    Basically they were living in sin

which means that Mephisto can be all "hohoho yes I am spreading evil across the world"

To be honest it was a an incredibly shit retcon when it started and then retconned against in anotehr incredible shit manner, and Quesada is a terrible writer, but that doesn't stop current spidey comics from being good.

Solar on
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Basically they were living in sin

which means that Mephisto can be all "hohoho yes I am spreading evil across the world"

To be honest it was a an incredibly shit retcon when it started and then retconned against in anotehr incredible shit manner, and Quesada is a terrible writer, but that doesn't stop current spidey comics from being good.

Ah, our little Solar is growing up and starting to make sense. Good boy!

Hensler on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And damn are they good.

Also I have never read a Fantastic Four but I'm definitely picking up FF#1.

admanb on
    edited February 2011
    Just read #655

Weird cross between depression and trippy as shit

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    Another few things I've been picking up from the early comics...

You really can tell that Spidey is a regular New York kid, mostly from the dialogue, the way Parker speaks and the word order etc could easily be placed in Stan Lee's voice and accent, and I think that's a cool touch. Parker also has a strangely, I don't know what to call it, breezy way of speaking? Even when he's not wisecracking as spidey, he'll be calling Betty Grant "Blue Eyes," and when he talks to Jameson it's all "Relax JJJ, I got the pics you wanted!" Exclamation marks all over the place of course.

Another point, which I think is very relevant to Slott's current run, is just how much emphasis there is on Peter Parker being a scientific genius. The first time he fights the vulture, he beats him with a gadget. First time he fights the Lizard, he makes an antidote to the Lizard formula. Killer robot on the scene? Uses his tech skills to deprogram it. I think Slott might be deliberately looking at those early issues and seeing how Spidey invents new stuff often, and bringing it into his very good run.

Solar on
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    Another few things I've been picking up from the early comics...

You really can tell that Spidey is a regular New York kid, mostly from the dialogue, the way Parker speaks and the word order etc could easily be placed in Stan Lee's voice and accent, and I think that's a cool touch. Parker also has a strangely, I don't know what to call it, breezy way of speaking? Even when he's not wisecracking as spidey, he'll be calling Betty Grant "Blue Eyes," and when he talks to Jameson it's all "Relax JJJ, I got the pics you wanted!" Exclamation marks all over the place of course.

Another point, which I think is very relevant to Slott's current run, is just how much emphasis there is on Peter Parker being a scientific genius. The first time he fights the vulture, he beats him with a gadget. First time he fights the Lizard, he makes an antidote to the Lizard formula. Killer robot on the scene? Uses his tech skills to deprogram it. I think Slott might be deliberately looking at those early issues and seeing how Spidey invents new stuff often, and bringing it into his very good run.

I've always liked the writers that remembers parkers a pretty smart guy. I like the current setup with parkers job, and hope they expand on that. I wouldnt mind if they actually played this up and made him another go-to reference such as Reed Richards/Tony Stark. It also kinda annoys me how sometimes he teams up with those people and he says something smart and they reflect AGAIN on 'wow hes not just a silly guy' but they never rememeber it.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
    edited February 2011
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/dan-slott-amazing-spider-man-110224.html

Slott on some Spider-Island teasing and some in-depth explanation of why no more spider sense

Furu on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If they had trouble with the .1 book being about Spider-Man because it occurred right after something really sad, just make the issue show up a month or two later. If Avengers can get a .1 in April so can ASM.

TexiKen on
    edited February 2011
    I am kind of happy that Peter's monologue at the end of the latest issue was punctuated with Massacre's entrance. As much as Peter would want to, he can't save everyone and to think that he actually could is kinda silly. I think he will be bringing his hero game up to the Big Time as well, what with joining the FF and guest instructing at Avengers Academy.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can see why Slott would think getting rid of spider-sense would be interesting, but I doubt the change has much actual potential in terms of story. Spider-sense only comes into play when the character is in danger, and the only outcomes to a dangerous scenario are getting hurt or getting away. So, apart from Spider-Man becoming more cautious and tense, all you can really do is show him getting hurt more often.

Really, I think temporarily getting rid of his strength would have been more effective. It also raises the danger level, but opens other possibilities as well. If he can't punch dudes really hard anymore, then he'll have to rely on tech and strategies a little more, which plays into his new role as a scientist.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2011
    I can see why Slott would think getting rid of spider-sense would be interesting, but I doubt the change has much actual potential in terms of story. Spider-sense only comes into play when the character is in danger, and the only outcomes to a dangerous scenario are getting hurt or getting away. So, apart from Spider-Man becoming more cautious and tense, all you can really do is show him getting hurt more often.

Really, I think temporarily getting rid of his strength would have been more effective. It also raises the danger level, but opens other possibilities as well. If he can't punch dudes really hard anymore, then he'll have to rely on tech and strategies a little more, which plays into his new role as a scientist.

He'll get it back, I'm sure

Solar on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well yeah, of course. I was just referring to the forthcoming arcs, which will likely last through summer.

Robos A Go Go on
  • GuekGuek Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so i'm just now thinking about getting back into spider-man comics after OMD really drove me away (it still pisses me off just thinking about it).

have the recent arcs been any good? was big time worth buying? from all accounts it sounds like the gauntlet was kind of a waste of time.

Guek on
    edited March 2011
    The Gauntlet was pretty good actually, particuarly Kraven's Last Hunt and Shed.

Big Time, however, is the best Spider-Man has been in 20 years. Excluding USM.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    in 20 years? but 90s spider-man sucked...

Guek on
  • WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ya post OMD it's actually been really good, and like others have said Big Time is perfect spidey.

Just make sure to skip One moment in Time.

WiseManTobes on
    Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
    edited March 2011
    Big Time is fantastic and only Ultimate Spidey has been better since the new millenium, as Blank said. I too hate the shit out of OMD but Dan Slott is doing a hell of a job on Amazing Spidey.

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    Guek wrote: »
    Yes! That's why it is much better than them!

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gank wrote: »
    detail.jpg
    Oh man I love this art. Who made it?
    It's making me think of one comic I bought some years ago, where Peter has a black eye with the text 'Return of the Hobgoblin' or something.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    Guek wrote: »
    Yes! That's why it is much better than them!

but i liked some of the spidey comics in the first half of the last decade :P

Guek on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Turambar wrote: »
    Gank wrote: »
    detail.jpg
    Oh man I love this art. Who made it?
    It's making me think of one comic I bought some years ago, where Peter has a black eye with the text 'Return of the Hobgoblin' or something.
    Anyone know what I'm talking about?

That's one Humberto Ramos. Frenetic spidey artist extraordinaire. Not too sure about the issue though sorry.

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
  • TurambarTurambar Independent Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thanks. Yeah, it was Ramos. Looks like the comic was Spider-Man: Return of the Goblin. Non-hob version.

Aaaand I just ordered Big Time.
    Damnit, I was trying to stick with Ultimate only for Spidey. :P

Turambar on
    Steam: turamb | Origin: Turamb | 3DS: 3411-1109-4537 | NNID: Turambar | Warframe(PC): Turamb
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You will not be disappointed.

cardboard delusions on
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ramos is hit or miss with a lot of people but he's one my favorite artists to work on Spider-Man.

Kyougu on
    edited March 2011
    i'm a big fan of ramos but he does seem to slip in quality every so often, presumably due to deadlines.

blech. i think i'm gonna bite the bullet and order big time. it's gonna be a challenge though trying to swallow all this carlie cooper rubbish. goddamn joey Q

Guek on