As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Video game industry thread: Trogdor commands you to use the new thread

• ArtoriaArtoria Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm pretty sad to see blockbuster go. I always enjoyed spur of the moment going out and renting a game or DVD, browsing the selection of older movies as well as newer ones. grabbing a small stack of stuff and my wife doing the same and the negotiations of what movies we actually renting this time.

good times and good memories.

Artoria on
  • PataPata Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pata wrote: »
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Sure the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu"

This was fixed in War of the Lions, by actually getting a translation that didn't amount to "Run through Babelfish, put in game"

In WotL, the story made about as much sense as "poidufsodifuapgdu, for sooth."

Yeah, no.

Pata on
    SRWWSig.pngEpisode 5: Mecha-World, Mecha-nisim, Mecha-beasts
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm at work now so I can't post a link, but the story is up on Joystiq: Gears of War 3 is due out September 20th, which is two months earlier than I expected, so that's cool.

Undead Scottsman on
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm at work now so I can't post a link, but the story is up on Joystiq: Gears of War 3 is due out September 20th, which is two months earlier than I expected, so that's cool.

I think they're trying to beat MW3.

Heh. I wonder if Activision will try to rush MW3 to market to beat GoW3, even with all the hell that game's development has been through?

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Astale wrote: »
    After FFXIII and FFXIV, hell throw FFXII in there for me too, I think it's time for the FF series to just die already. I haven't even bothered looking at versus or whatever. I have lived with the abuse too long. NO MORE.

I'd love Kingdom Hearts 3 though. Kingdom Hearts 1+2 were better than any other recent RPG offering square has made. And quite a few non-RPG offerings too.

I wish FF9 hadn't been kind of a disappointment for them (following 7 and 8). It's the sort of shot in the arm the series needs, go back to your slightly-less-bullshit fantasy origins without any fancy mechanics or weird decisions like corridor-linearity. Basically do what Dragon Quest has been doing for ages to great success. And no more direct sequels either.

Yeah, I'd have to agree. I loved the hell out of FF9 and was shocked to find out that so many people pooh-pooh it. While the plot wasn't perfect, it was charming and fun. .

Are you kidding? Mention FF9 on the Internet anywhere these days and it turns into a circlejerk like if the game was the second coming. These days liking FF9 and hating FF7 is the 'cool' thing to do. Personally never liked it. I just found it very hard to care about any of the characters, yes even Vivi.
    Adus wrote: »
    I worked at Blockbuster when they switched over to their 'no late fee' thing which was like back in 2005 or something. I am really shocked they have hung on this long, because late fees were pretty much the only way they made any money. It was such an obviously stupid move. I'm ashamed to admit I actually tried to go back there maybe two years ago or so and it was impossible to find an opening, even at the store I worked at which had the same manager who knew I was good. That store has since closed, and it was really high volume, too. Was constantly packed on weekends. I find it hard to believe any stores make anything close to a profit anymore.

Well obviously they don't or this wouldn't be a problem. I don't know why they're even still trying.

I don't know what American BB did, but Canadian BB eventually ditched the whole no late fee thing. And while I was pissed they did so with zero word on it (just one day, hello $2 late fee), it was probably one hell of a good move, and maybe the reason they're not going bankrupt. Just ignoring the whole bit of profits like you mentioned, it also meant that nothing was ever in. No late fee means no fear of a bill for not returning, means no incentive to return the product so other people could use it. I routinely kept games for 2+ weeks, simply because I was too lazy to return them, usually waiting until I got an automated phone call warning me to return it. And I obviously wasn't the only one, since like I said, nearly everything you might be interested in renting was always out.

T'was a good idea at the time, but late fees are the only thing that keeps the product circulating so other people can rent them.

From what I understand US BB went back on it eventually as well. I don't know exactly what they did as I haven't been there in a while, but I just assume whatever they did it was too little too late. I wasn't sure if they would ever be able to go back, but the fact that they tried takes balls at least...

Adus on
  • Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So any bets on how long Lego Star Wars 3 the Clone Wars is going to have legs? Comes out next month and the demo is amazing. If it lasts less than 10 months I will be shocked.

Lego really knows what its doing.

Capt Howdy on
    Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    So any bets on how long Lego Star Wars 3 the Clone Wars is going to have legs? Comes out next month and the demo is amazing. If it lasts less than 10 months I will be shocked.

Lego really knows what its doing.

It should do quite well as a 3DS launch game, and especially at Christmas when everyone starts buying them as presents - there won't be a huge glut of games by then and it should still be available.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    From what I understand US BB went back on it eventually as well. I don't know exactly what they did as I haven't been there in a while, but I just assume whatever they did it was too little too late. I wasn't sure if they would ever be able to go back, but the fact that they tried takes balls at least...

I can't speak for other parts of the US, but in my area BB quietly went from "no late fees, ever" to "keep it too long, and you've bought it."

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    darleysam wrote: »
    I know it's highly unlikely, but do we know any numbers for how Deadly Premonition sold? I just finished it last night and would dearly love SWERY to get to make another game and build on its ideas.

The guy you whine about in the podcast thread whenever you have the chance :P (I'm not getting you mixed up, right?), Shane Bettenhausen, was on the 8-4 podcast around TGS and from what I remember, he said it did really well. He also said that he'd just been talking with SWERY a day or two beforehand about his next project and I think I remember him saying that they (Ignition) would be interested in publishing it.

Heh. I wonder if Activision will try to rush MW3 to market to beat GoW3, even with all the hell that game's development has been through?

Why would they need to? Gears is tiny compared to CoD and despite all its troubles, will still probably be more stable online (unless Epic suddenly remembered how to do it properly over the last few years).

As for the actual release date, the only thing that's remotely interesting about it (to me at least) is that that's usually when Microsoft times their Halo releases. Makes some sense I guess, since it's just outside the two craziest months of the year but I somehow doubt that'd have much effect on sales anyway. They've already got established fanbases for both series, who I'd bet would buy both Halo/Gears and Call of Duty (or whatever other big game is out at the time) anyway.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
    edited February 2011
    Mego Thor wrote: »

I can't speak for other parts of the US, but in my area BB quietly went from "no late fees, ever" to "keep it too long, and you've bought it."

That's pretty much what happened across the country, yeah.

Really, I think a lot of things contributed to Blockbuster's (impending) death... shaky finances with "no late fees," eroding customer confidence due to poor customer service and how they handled the end of no late fees, the recession and, of course, failing to do anything to counter Netflix and Redbox until it was far, far too late. I mean, both companies were around for a friggin' long time, and Blockbuster never even acknowledged them.

cloudeagle on
    edited February 2011

Nah those were both the same thing. They'd advertise no late fees but the deal was this: Rent it for certain amount, get the same due date it would have had before the change. However now you had an extra week past the due date to return it without any new charges. Keep it after that additional week and they charged your account for the movie/game. You still had a month to return it and get your money back but then you'd pay a 1.25 restocking fee (this was the worst, because people thought no late fees was literal and they'd keep something for like four weeks, return it, then get all in a huff for having to pay a dollar).

Keep it even longer than that extra month and it would be removed from the inventory altogether and they wouldn't take it back.

This whole deal was too complicated for a lot of people. Realistically it shouldn't have been much of a problem but when let people think they can keep something for nearly forever they will, even if they already watched it and don't plan on doing so again. It just makes them procrastinate on the return even more.

I mean you'd think people would realize that there was some sort of catch; That it made no sense to let people keep movies/games for literally forever with no consequence, but they thought that's what it meant. That's never what it meant.

Adus on
  • MezuelMezuel Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Blockbuster's problems actually stem back to when they first acquired themselves from Viacom. Upon doing so, they basically spent just about everything they had. Not too long after, they decided to launch both Blockbuster Online and Game Rush, two very money-intensive endeavors. Millions of dollars later, and only about a year after launching it, Blockbuster decided to can the Game Rush business unit, citing that it was not as profitable as they wanted (duh, it takes more than a year to pull in the customers, etc, etc). They then began to focus heavy on the online product, forcing us to essentially sell our jobs, as we were heavily incentivizing people to go with the Online product, and not really rent anything in the store.

One of the biggest selling points for BO was the ability to bring the mailers into the store and rent something for free. Mind, this was even during the no-late-fees era, so that contributed even more to stuff never being on the shelf.

Fast forward a bit later, a new CEO comes in, and doesn't like that we've been essentially telling people not to spend money in the stores, so he all but ditches the in-store pushing of the Online product, and reintroduces a new, strong focus on getting people to rent in store again, by having us push the Blockbuster Rewards product instead. We literally were expected to push this on the Online people even, trying to convince them why they should spend this money, on top of what they spend monthly for BO.

Shortly after was when I stopped working for the company, so my knowledge on what went on was limited to hearsay from former co-workers. This was also around the time that the no-late-fees era was ending, and blockbuster entered this terrible flux of late-fee rules that seemed to last for 3-4 years before finally settling on what they have now. This was especially the case with games, which went through numerous rule changes almost on a bi-monthly basis, it felt.

Basically, their problem mostly seems to stem from terribly poor business decisions, an inability to market properly, and the overall inability to stick with a single business idea long enough for it to truly get successful. I really am not surprised that they are nearing an end, honestly.

Mezuel on
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Damnit, I was signed in as my wife. Curse you, dead hard drive! Mezuel's post is actually mine. :P

Dourin on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's how it worked in Canada too. Too long, and you get the stocking fee ding. It was still like a month or so, and you got an automated phone call at least 3 times warning you about it. And I always skirted that edge, even though I really tried to be a considerate renter for other people.

But no late fee means no fear means no rush to return means no product means why am I in the store when there's nothing worth renting.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know it's highly unlikely, but do we know any numbers for how Deadly Premonition sold? I just finished it last night and would dearly love SWERY to get to make another game and build on its ideas.

The guy you whine about in the podcast thread whenever you have the chance :P (I'm not getting you mixed up, right?), Shane Bettenhausen, was on the 8-4 podcast around TGS and from what I remember, he said it did really well. He also said that he'd just been talking with SWERY a day or two beforehand about his next project and I think I remember him saying that they (Ignition) would be interested in publishing it.

Why would they need to? Gears is tiny compared to CoD and despite all its troubles, will still probably be more stable online (unless Epic suddenly remembered how to do it properly over the last few years).

As for the actual release date, the only thing that's remotely interesting about it (to me at least) is that that's usually when Microsoft times their Halo releases. Makes some sense I guess, since it's just outside the two craziest months of the year but I somehow doubt that'd have much effect on sales anyway. They've already got established fanbases for both series, who I'd bet would buy both Halo/Gears and Call of Duty (or whatever other big game is out at the time) anyway.

Tiny is not at all how I would describe Gears. It's still a multi-million copy sellar, and a guaranteed cash cow for MS and Epic.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

There's a reason Gears3 is switching to "dedicated servers" and is having a player beta.

Undead Scottsman on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was mopey about my job, but it sucks working there. I thought they were going to make it, because they were getting non-loyal customer to use the online, while catering the stores to the store goers (and yes we have plenty.) They have their own Netflix, and their own "Blue Box," but I guess it's too little too late. This just means my income will be fixed before I become a lieutenant...with a degree in Computer Engineering.

I have Secret Clearance now. I'll find work.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    finnith wrote: »
    You know I always found it weird how many Gamestops there were when I went to the US. I remember passing by the Freehold Mall (it was somewhere near there) and seeing a Gamestop in one part of the mall then crossing the road and immediately seeing another Gamestop. Is this oversaturation common?

This was largely due to the fact that pre-merger many malls contained EBGames stores and Gamestops. After the merger there were still contracts for the locations though, so you ended up with multiple stores in the same location.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know I always found it weird how many Gamestops there were when I went to the US. I remember passing by the Freehold Mall (it was somewhere near there) and seeing a Gamestop in one part of the mall then crossing the road and immediately seeing another Gamestop. Is this oversaturation common?

This was largely due to the fact that pre-merger many malls contained EBGames stores and Gamestops. After the merger there were still contracts for the locations though, so you ended up with multiple stores in the same location.

Don't forget Babbages, Software Etc., and all the other competitors GameStop bought up/merged with in the name of Mr. Monopoly.

(though technically speaking I think Gamespot came out of those two, but they did still operate as seperate names for a long while)

Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's too bad they don't just hold on and just survive with the BB machines....as I use the machine in our local Publix all the time if we are shopping and my wife and I decide we want to watch a movie.

Brainiac 8 on
    3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As little as 2-3 years ago I remember going into a Blockbuster to rent a 360 game out of impatience or something and they would put a 50 dollar "hold" on your credit card if you wanted to rent a 360 or PS3 game, basically anything "next-gen". I was indignant about this even though they didn't charge you anything and never went back again, the principle of it was enough for me to never shop there again.

I love hearing Blockbuster employee stories though, the whole operation has always seemed like such a clusterfuck on every level.

The biggest videostores that still operate around here are a chain that are owned and operated locally and run on a "1 dollar a day, and you pay when you return the movie/game" model. That and HUGE porno sections that are sectioned off and run separately from the regular game and movie section so as not to alienate people.

Allforce on
  • GnomeTankGnomeTank What the what? Portland, OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Red Box-style kiosks have taken over here in Texas. That's how people rent movies now. All the Hollywood's have shut down, and I think the Blockbusters have too.

GameFly and Red Box basically killed their business model here.

GnomeTank on
    Sagroth wrote: »
    Oh c'mon FyreWulff, no one's gonna pay to visit Uranus.
    Steam: Brainling, XBL / PSN: GnomeTank, NintendoID: Brainling, FF14: Zillius Rosh SFV: Brainling
  • DourinDourin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Allforce wrote: »
    As little as 2-3 years ago I remember going into a Blockbuster to rent a 360 game out of impatience or something and they would put a 50 dollar "hold" on your credit card if you wanted to rent a 360 or PS3 game, basically anything "next-gen". I was indignant about this even though they didn't charge you anything and never went back again, the principle of it was enough for me to never shop there again.

I love hearing Blockbuster employee stories though, the whole operation has always seemed like such a clusterfuck on every level.

The biggest videostores that still operate around here are a chain that are owned and operated locally and run on a "1 dollar a day, and you pay when you return the movie/game" model. That and HUGE porno sections that are sectioned off and run separately from the regular game and movie section so as not to alienate people.

Hmm...that "hold" sounds like a franchise thing. The corporate stores never did anything like that, that I can recall. We would run the credit card for a $1 pre-authorization, basically to make sure there was at least $1 available on the card, to make sure people weren't using cancelled cards or anything, but never a $50 hold.

It's too bad they don't just hold on and just survive with the BB machines....as I use the machine in our local Publix all the time if we are shopping and my wife and I decide we want to watch a movie.

Honestly, I laughed out loud the first time I saw one of those boxes. Not that it wasn't a decent idea, but it just made me realize how desperate blockbuster had become by this point.

Dourin on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Blockbuster kiosks just use the Blockbuster name. They are owned by NCR, a producer of ATMs.

Couscous on
    edited February 2011
    Couscous wrote: »

Blockbuster kiosks just use the Blockbuster name. They are owned by NCR, a producer of ATMs.

In fact, when Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy, NCR put out a hilarious press release to the effect of "don't think these kiosks labeled "Blockbuster" are actually Blockbuster's. They're actually NCR's, and we're doing fine, thanks.

There's actually a used game/music/dvd/cool stuff store in my area that will let you rent any game for sale, even stuff as old as NES stuff. Pretty neat.

cloudeagle on
  • CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://venturebeat.com/2011/02/22/lolapps-launches-a-novel-expansion-for-ravenwood-fair-facebook-game/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Venturebeat+%28VentureBeat%29
    LOLapps has had a big hit with its social game Ravenwood Fair, which has grown to 10 million monthly active users since its launch in October. So the company has done what game publishers always do with a hit: launch an expansion game.
    In the case of Ravenstone Mine, LOLapps actually decided to scale back on its other existing social games to pour more into Ravenwood Fair, which can be used to access Ravenstone Mine and vice versa on Facebook. It makes sense because Ravenwood Fair — originally created by Doom video game creator John Romero — is one of those rare games that is still growing after its launch nearly six months ago.
    At 10 million monthly active users, Ravenwood Fair has grown far above the 4.4 million users it had in December, according to AppData. At that time, the game was a financial success because more than 10 percent of those users were spending money in the free-to-play game. In such games, users play for free and pay only when they want to buy a virtual good with real money. Much of the money spent in Ravenwood Fair was spent on consumables, or items such as energy, which can be bought over and over again. Typically, only 3 percent to 5 percent of users pay for games on Facebook.
    In Ravenstone Mine, the game play is very similar — but underneath the ground. Update: The expansion was designed by Romero, who, along with former LOLapps creative director Brenda Brathwaite, has mapped out a multi-expansion strategy for the Ravenwood-themed franchise. That means that Romero, as a consultant for LOLapps, designed the expansion for LOLapps to execute.

Couscous on
  • Mego ThorMego Thor "I say thee...NAY!" Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Nah those were both the same thing. They'd advertise no late fees but the deal was this: Rent it for certain amount, get the same due date it would have had before the change. However now you had an extra week past the due date to return it without any new charges. Keep it after that additional week and they charged your account for the movie/game. You still had a month to return it and get your money back but then you'd pay a 1.25 restocking fee (this was the worst, because people thought no late fees was literal and they'd keep something for like four weeks, return it, then get all in a huff for having to pay a dollar).

Keep it even longer than that extra month and it would be removed from the inventory altogether and they wouldn't take it back.

During the "no late fees, we promise!" days they used to beg you to bring stuff back; now they just put on the receipt "own it on XX/XX/XXXX for $59.99." That date is usually about two weeks from the day you rented it. The only time I go into Blockbuster anymore, is when I have BB Online movies to exchange for free. When you do that, there really are "no late fees, ever." They just won't send the next movie in your queue until you bring it back.

Mego Thor on
    kyrcl.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Allforce wrote: »

Wow, I worked there since 2002 and we never did that. required a credit card go, and stay, on the account so that if it never came back the 59.99 went straight on the credit card. Significantly more reasonable than the deposits they would do on renting consoles.

The deposit thing is OLD. Very old. Rent-a-Dreamcast old.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

In fact, when Blockbuster filed for bankruptcy, NCR put out a hilarious press release to the effect of "don't think these kiosks labeled "Blockbuster" are actually Blockbuster's. They're actually NCR's, and we're doing fine, thanks.

There's actually a used game/music/dvd/cool stuff store in my area that will let you rent any game for sale, even stuff as old as NES stuff. Pretty neat.

There used to be a store like that in my town. Games from NES/SMS to Dreamcast/PS1. Even had a mini-museum of all the consoles (Famicom and CDX were my favorites). You could rent games by the hour there. After I came back from bootcamp it was gone.

Found out later the dude that owned/ran it was a convicted sex offender.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nocren wrote: »

There used to be a store like that in my town. Games from NES/SMS to Dreamcast/PS1. Even had a mini-museum of all the consoles (Famicom and CDX were my favorites). You could rent games by the hour there. After I came back from bootcamp it was gone.

Found out later the dude that owned/ran it was a convicted sex offender.

I read the last line of this then looked at your avatar.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Warlock82 wrote: »

Don't forget Babbages, Software Etc., and all the other competitors GameStop bought up/merged with in the name of Mr. Monopoly.

(though technically speaking I think Gamespot came out of those two, but they did still operate as seperate names for a long while)

In my mall this phenomenon has resulted in a GameStop on the upper floor and an "EBX" directly underneath it on the lower floor. I guess they thought it would look strange to put the GameStop name on both of them? Although we have another mall which has a Macy's at both ends...

I have to say I'll miss Blockbuster a little bit. There was a kind of fun and romance in going out to rent a movie for movie night.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011
    I can't imagine looking strange is what stopped them. There's a mall near me that has two Gamestops and it probably takes 60 seconds to walk from one to the other.

Adus on
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gaslight wrote: »
    I have to say I'll miss Blockbuster a little bit. There was a kind of fun and romance in going out to rent a movie for movie night.

And because of Blockbuster, I'll bet there are fewer Mom and Pop video stores, too.

I won't miss 'em. Fuck that noise.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2011

And because of Blockbuster, I'll bet there are fewer Mom and Pop video stores, too.

There haven't been any Mom and Pop video stores as long as I can remember. I guess Blockbuster had already killed them by that point, so I do not mourn their loss.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011

Yup, my favorite video store in the area was a mom and pop operation, and was closed due to Blockbuster moving in. They were awesome, had a great game selection, and had all older movies all rentable for 99 cents. They had a fantastic indie movie and foreign section too.

Of course they also still carried all the PS1 titles that they've had forever....so you could still rent them. They were a bit behind in removing old stock.

But they were great and blockbuster killed them. :(

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Late?

JP sales for the week.

Catherine rules with an iron fist.
    * Catherine (Atlus, PS3, 2/17): 141,826
    * Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, PS3, 2/17): 67,187
    * Samurai Warriors 3Z (Tecmo Koei, PS3, 2/10): 58,089 (266,637)
    * Monster Hunter Freedom 3 (Capcom, PSP, 12/1/2010): 39,727 (4,289,349)
    * Tales of the World Radiant Mythology 3 (Namco Bandai, PSP, 2/10): 26,504 (248,572)
    * Two Worlds 2 (Ubisoft, PS3, 2/17): 24,324
    * Catherine (Atlus, X360, 2/17): 21,936
    * Marvel vs Capcom 3 (Capcom, X360, 2/17): 13,779
    * Haku Ouki Zuisouroku DS (Idea Factory, DS, 2/17): 13,373
    * Ace Attorney Investigations 2 (Capcom, DS, 2/3): 13,186
    * Donkey Kong Returns (Nintendo, Wii, 12/9/2010): 10,824 (817,181)
    * Samura Warriors 3 Xtreme Warriors (Tecmo Koei, Wii, 12/10): 9,638 (32,236)
    * Pokemon Black & White (Pokemon, DS, 9/18/2010): 9,502 (5,081,369)
    * DJ Max Portable 3 (CyberFront, PSP, 2/1): 8,990
    * Two Worlds 2 (Ubisoft, X360, 2/17): 8,225
    * Kenka Bancho 5 (Spike, PSP, 1/27): 8,193 (109,543)
    * Red Dead Redemption Undead Nightmare (Take-2, PS3, 2/10): 7,861 (29,580)
    * Wii Party (Nintendo, Wii, 7/8/2010): 7,472 (1,794,813)
    * Winning Eleven 2011 (Konami, PSP, 11/18/2010): 6,312 (176,788)
    * Ni no Kuni (Level-5, DS, 12/9/2010): 6,174 (481,003)

PS3's was the top selling game period, 360's topped the console.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
    edited February 2011
    Wow, that is pretty great for an Atlus game, much less one with Catherines premise...of course this is Japan, Shuma Gorath capital of the world. :?

Brainiac 8 on
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Add me!
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's reportedly their second best debut ever, Persona 4 being the first.

Also, Catherine was projected to sell 150k in its span. It almost hit that in one week.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yup, my favorite video store in the area was a mom and pop operation, and was closed due to Blockbuster moving in. They were awesome, had a great game selection, and had all older movies all rentable for 99 cents. They had a fantastic indie movie and foreign section too.

Of course they also still carried all the PS1 titles that they've had forever....so you could still rent them. They were a bit behind in removing old stock.

But they were great and blockbuster killed them. :(

I still remember when people used to call Amazon the 'World's Largest Killer of Small Bookstores'. You don't see many of them, either.

Santa Claustrophobia on
    edited February 2011
    Barnes & Noble and Borders killed small bookstores.

Now Amazon is working on killing them. Borders is emitting its death rattle as we speak.

Gaslight on