As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Starcraft 2: Dustin "Trollface" Browder (also, sign up for CSL!)

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i only watched the protoss match in code a

dissapointed in you ace

also

did hayder get through

i have too large a headache to go through more kelly than i want to

Haypro got rolled, as many predicted. The games weren't bad, but Ganzi pretty much outclassed him. Not much shame in that, Ganzi is a monster.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    SaarutoSaaruto Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mashimaro wrote: »
    ...that's just the way it is...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o8Y9-JlSRXw

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kedinik wrote: »
    Movitz wrote: »
    I don't even get it. Did someone badmouth him before the game or what?

He was asked about it in an interview.

Said that he's just tired of people talking shit all the time.

Not directed at any particular person.

e: Though he did say as an example that people should leave Kelly alone, :P

BM'ing for a noble cause.

I sort of like that.

HuK will be the Robin Hood of Starcraft 2, you heard it here first.

Movitz on
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Kami wrote: »
    Joe, I had a dream where you were promoted directly to Gold.

Two things, one, make this happen

Two, why the hell did I dream about the SC2 PA thread D:

I have SC2 dreams pretty consistently if I ladder a lot.

Usually dreams about whatever my weakest match-up currently is.

e: At one point I supposedly sleep-spoke "Why the FUCK am I so bad at ZvZ?!"

Throughout my gaming life, i've had periods of game-dreams. The most memorable for me were Ultima IV, Bard's Tale 1, SC/BW, and Planescape:Torment.

The latest was the original L4D. I'd go out with my wife, and start looking for places to escape and where I could get jumped by a hunter.

Haven't had the SC2 dreams yet, and I've played a couple games....

Joe K on
  • Options
    MashimaroMashimaro Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    3clipse wrote: »
    I have nightmares about getting demoted to Bronze.

I live in your hell

It is the worst ohdear.png

You know, Bronze really isn't that bad. It's a great opportunity to practice macroing ANYTHING you want without it costing you. Seriously, build any units you want - just practice good macro technique (as in, always build workers, never get supply blocked (or as little as possible), and build out of every building). That with a little bit of poking/aggression will literally win you 90% of your games. I mean it. And I know because I worked my way out of Bronze league - through silver - and into gold. And not like Dhal who tanked into Bronze in his placements and shot to diamond because he's a baller, but because there was a time I deserved to be in Bronze.

The only thing I really did to get out was take Day[9]'s advice about macro. I lost 8 ladder games in a row learning how to do it right and I still have a lot of room to improve. What's funny is I noticed that I lost all of those games to a "trick" - like cloaked banshees or DTs - because I just turtled with my giant army (usually 4x their size) instead of being aggressive. Thus, my advice to attack more often and just attack because it feels like it might be a good time - you'll learn when it's really a good idea or not with practice, but attack them, attack them, attack them.

Until you get to high gold, macro is all that matters. At high gold/low plat, it seems to me that good macro is still the most important and easiest thing to improve, but other stuff does *start* to matter (little composition things, timings, basic micro, ect). Honestly, there's almost no such thing as "timing" or "composition" before that unless you run into a smurf, micro isn't needed to beat anyone in Bronze or Silver, and composition doesn't matter AT ALL until you run into people that can macro at least *almost* as well as you can (for me, high Gold).

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Muriden wrote: »
    Anzekay wrote: »
    I had a dream that I was riding around town on the back of a hydralisk.

People acted like it was perfectly normal. Was cool.

I wish this so hard.
    IMG_7161.JPG
    (I bought the original 3 pack of the Marine, Hydra and Zealot at an Electronic's Boutique for like $4. Look at what they go for on EBay. Now if only the Zealot was in one piece, I could find the marines gun, and the zealots blades.... ahh, the joy of kids)

Joe K on
  • Options
    KamiKami Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I live in your hell

You know, Bronze really isn't that bad. It's a great opportunity to practice macroing ANYTHING you want without it costing you. Seriously, build any units you want - just practice good macro technique (as in, always build workers, never get supply blocked (or as little as possible), and build out of every building). That with a little bit of poking/aggression will literally win you 90% of your games. I mean it. And I know because I worked my way out of Bronze league - through silver - and into gold. And not like Dhal who tanked into Bronze in his placements and shot to diamond because he's a baller, but because there was a time I deserved to be in Bronze.

The only thing I really did to get out was take Day[9]'s advice about macro. I lost 8 ladder games in a row learning how to do it right and I still have a lot of room to improve. What's funny is I noticed that I lost all of those games to a "trick" - like cloaked banshees or DTs - because I just turtled with my giant army (usually 4x their size) instead of being aggressive. Thus, my advice to attack more often and just attack because it feels like it might be a good time - you'll learn when it's really a good idea or not with practice, but attack them, attack them, attack them.

Until you get to high gold, macro is all that matters. At high gold/low plat, it seems to me that good macro is still the most important and easiest thing to improve, but other stuff does *start* to matter (little composition things, timings, basic micro, ect). Honestly, there's almost no such thing as "timing" or "composition" before that unless you run into a smurf, micro isn't needed to beat anyone in Bronze or Silver, and composition doesn't matter AT ALL until you run into people that can macro at least *almost* as well as you can (for me, high Gold).

<3<3

Doing lobbies with all the handsome chaps here, I'm more comfortable in-game, but I always get a bit psyched but what I *think* can happen, and it starts messing with my mentality.

'Oh God, i don't know who this person is! Even though I can do a pretty good 3rax stim attack at 8 minutes, WHAT IF THEY GO DARK TEMPLARS! I SHOULD BUILD TURRETS JUST IN CASE!'

Then it starts messing with my money/build flow, and that's what messes with my gamesense. Since my gamesense isn't that great to begin with, I think that overthinking what COULD happen, instead of focusing on what IS happening, is my biggest mental weakness.

Kami on
  • Options
    MMMigMMMig Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MMMig wrote: »
    *warning: not trying to troll or start a terran bashing discussion*

I just started thinking about the thread title... automatic dishwashing vs using terran...

actually, using terran is probably easier than using a dishwasher
    (kekekek)

:evil:

Well I mean this is hard scientific data, straight from Gretorp.

You ask for Science, I give you science:

Dishwasher:
    - Lock washer door
    - Select Wash Cycle
    - Select Dry Cycle
    - Press Start

Terran:
    - Press T
    - Press A
    - Move

MMMig on
    l4lGvOw.png
    Witty signature comment goes here...

wra
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    the amount of people who say some shit and then put me on ignore is growing

like, I'll say something in a game but I don't put people on ignore before they can reply if they want

this guy says, mid game "zvt on shakuras. always fun"

I don't really know what he meant by that. but then at the end I get 'gg', so I say 'gg'

and he says 'fag' and leaves

I try to send him a 'haha' but he's ignoring me already

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i have a hard time believing zergs are having more trouble with terran than protoss

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    oh also I won that game because he went for two busts and both failed to kill me

even though he hit the first one just as I was lifting a rax to send out helions

Variable on
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Most Protoss think TvP is very well balanced right now.

iNcontroL, for example, thinks the proposed changes will make TvP very hard for the terran.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Precious precious tears
    1zg7ev.jpg

here's the replay, I did fuck up the flank a bit thanks to swapping too fast on hotkeys, but overall it went as planned

repimg-33-191672.jpg

any comments/criticism on my play is welcomed

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    50 food advantage and he lost in TvZ?

What a newblord.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i feel bad

i won a game! by just sitting back and macroing and making sure the other guy didnt sneak an expansion

but then at the end of the game, as im a moving my 3/2 gateway army with a million storms

he nukes me like four times

he made such an effort to do something cool! and i ruined it by just pressing w shift z a lot

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    ...why do you hit shift?

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Saaruto wrote: »
    ...why do you hit shift?

As so to not have to constantly mash Z to make zealots via warpgates.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Enigma435Enigma435 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i have a hard time believing zergs are having more trouble with terran than protoss

I'd agree with that. I think zvp is the harder matchup right now for me. But I've got zero confidence in my zvp right now. I wish the "leaked" patch notes addressed this matchup more for my personal game struggles.

Enigma435 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »

I usually just hold down Z. Is the shift method better or something?

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I live in your hell

<3<3

Doing lobbies with all the handsome chaps here, I'm more comfortable in-game, but I always get a bit psyched but what I *think* can happen, and it starts messing with my mentality.

'Oh God, i don't know who this person is! Even though I can do a pretty good 3rax stim attack at 8 minutes, WHAT IF THEY GO DARK TEMPLARS! I SHOULD BUILD TURRETS JUST IN CASE!'

Then it starts messing with my money/build flow, and that's what messes with my gamesense. Since my gamesense isn't that great to begin with, I think that overthinking what COULD happen, instead of focusing on what IS happening, is my biggest mental weakness.

I hear you there... So my advice is this: Try to focus on your goal and your game plan. Don't even let yourself respond to what they're doing right now - just do your build and macro really hard. You'll win a lot of games and lose some too and you'll start to see patterns like: Wow, every time I get 3 - 5 Collosus I can almost always just stomp whatever Terran throws at me. And, Jeezus, every time I lose it is to an early pool, early MM with stim, or early cloaked units.

Then, when you start seeing these patterns you'll start adjusting your build to SEE if they're doing the thing you fear at the time you fear it and making small changes to deal with that threat IF you see them acting like they will. And, overall, you won't waste time and resources responding to things which don't threaten your build's viability.

You'll still win most of your games with good macro mixed with a little aggression right now even if you lose to early all-ins and "tricks" some of the time. And, given experience, you'll start to develop game sense about these tricks and all-ins and learn ways to stop them.

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    RobmanRobman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i feel bad

i won a game! by just sitting back and macroing and making sure the other guy didnt sneak an expansion

but then at the end of the game, as im a moving my 3/2 gateway army with a million storms

he nukes me like four times

he made such an effort to do something cool! and i ruined it by just pressing w shift z a lot

He made an effort to do something cool but he didn't do it right. Hopefully instead of giving up on nuke bombardment he tweaks it instead. Push nukes earlier, push out with nukesx2 rather then nukesx4 (2 nukes will kill pretty much any building that isn't a townhall type) and other stuff like that

Hell I still giggle at my last placement match where I ran into a huge army of vikings with my small ground force, and he clicked transform

Welp

Funny thing is that the time it takes for the vikings to transform is almost the same amount of time it takes for a nuke to land

Robman on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yeah

and then i scout a 2 gate proxy, pull probes to take out the first pylon, then make a forge

"tower noob"

welp

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo Haha, that's some pretty funny trash talk.

On a separate note, I think ZvT is quite balanced except at the super high/GSL levels (where marines are just too good).

ZvP is currently a bit of a problem, just because late game favors toss and early game it's very very hard to deal with a turtletoss with decent FFs.

That said, I think Muta tech switches need to become more popular in ZvP, particularly if there are no phoenixes out. A sudden burst of mutas can really mess up an unprepared toss.

I have a general theory about why Zerg just feels underpowered (not to say that they are, but they seem it when played), and it's come from playing the other races a bit in team games. I remember feeling absolutely shocked when my units simply killed shit. Zerg is all about sweeping through and wiping out the opponent's army at the expense of half of your own. T and P, on the other hand, have the capacity to produce so-called "death-balls" that will, under favorable circumstances, just absolutely kill the shit out of everything instantaneously.

Zerg don't really have the same thing. They have some units that can cause massive MASSIVE damage in the right circumstances (e.g. banelings on marines, hydras on some gateway units, etc), but overall they function differently in combat, and are insanely unforgiving if you don't micro properly. It all goes back to their nature as a counter race. In an evenly macroed situation, there's no such thing outside of the "busts" as a "Zerg push", it's all "Zerg counters" or harassment.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    PoolCuePoolCue Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    hahahah

'w shift z a lot'

'z a lot'

zealot!

sorry that made me giggle

PoolCue on
  • Options
    kedinikkedinik Captain of Industry Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I have a general theory about why Zerg just feels underpowered (not to say that they are, but they seem it when played), and it's come from playing the other races a bit in team games. I remember feeling absolutely shocked when my units simply killed shit.

I have experienced this sensation.

It's when I build roach/hydra and the protoss player, possibly having an aneurysm, masses stalker/immortal.

kedinik on
    I made a game! Hotline Maui. Requires mouse and keyboard.
  • Options
    HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heartlash wrote: »
    I have a general theory about why Zerg just feels underpowered (not to say that they are, but they seem it when played), and it's come from playing the other races a bit in team games. I remember feeling absolutely shocked when my units simply killed shit.

I have experienced this sensation.

It's when I build roach/hydra and the protoss player, possibly having an aneurysm, masses stalker/immortal.

Yes, but this is so so rare these days...

But yeah, the first time I hit stim and saw the horror I unleashed I really felt like I'd been missing the point of the game.

Heartlash on
    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    that guy was being a tool but that is a reason it gets annoying when people say '1ta lol T so easy'

I know at this point at least here it's pretty much completely a joke so no animosity here but I get how he feels

Variable on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I won a game the other night, and right before he left, he said "your bad dude" and then quit without a gg.

It haunted me way longer than I thought it would. Dude crawled inside my head.

Terrendos on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yay i actually am winning games!

but im so bad at laddering nowadays

after these couple brief wins i want to stop playing :/

edit: perfect idea, play smashcraft to dull the nerves

undeinPirat on
  • Options
    TerrendosTerrendos Decorative Monocle Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Enigma435 wrote: »

I'd agree with that. I think zvp is the harder matchup right now for me. But I've got zero confidence in my zvp right now. I wish the "leaked" patch notes addressed this matchup more for my personal game struggles.

Is there a link to these patch notes?

Terrendos on
  • Options
    MaratastikMaratastik Just call me Mara, please! Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Variable wrote: »

like, I'll say something in a game but I don't put people on ignore before they can reply if they want

I don't really know what he meant by that. but then at the end I get 'gg', so I say 'gg'

If anyone sends me shit after a game I just put them on ignore. They are not worth my time to respond and by blocking them I never have to hear anything from them again. Some people like to send shit back and that's fine if that's your thing...but personally I don't care to deal with. If they are getting particularly bad in game I will do it while in game as well (you can block anyone from the chat log(F11 I think)). I probably have 50+ people on my blocked list.

From my point of view, anyone who talks shit after a game is just looking for a rise out of me so I prefer to just not give it to them...especially since I have no desire to anyway.

Maratastik on
  • Options
    SeguerSeguer of the Void Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I thought we had agreed on 99 pages.

This means war.

There's no honor in love and (thread) war.

:wink:

Also if I'd waited, possibly could have gone to 100 pages due to the explosion from Code A (already explained this) :P

Seguer on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Olorin wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »

If anyone sends me shit after a game I just put them on ignore. They are not worth my time to respond and by blocking them I never have to hear anything from them again. Some people like to send shit back and that's fine if that's your thing...but personally I don't care to deal with. If they are getting particularly bad in game I will do it while in game as well (you can block anyone from the chat log(F11 I think)). I probably have 50+ people on my blocked list.

From my point of view, anyone who talks shit after a game is just looking for a rise out of me so I prefer to just not give it to them...especially since I have no desire to anyway.

Olo, you wise wizard you... I might have to adopt this approach. I like talking to someone who's friendly and wants to chat after a game, but I haaaaaate bmers. This is a good method.

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I guess I'm a talker olo, I usually can't let something like that go

did he have a problem with how I played? does he hate shakuras? I must know these things

and since I won I'd do it all with an heir of superiority

hey maybe that's why he blocked me in advance

Variable on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Guys...I'm finally platinum. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me cheese and spam my way to this milestone.

EDIT: I also dhalgated for that particular win. :)

Saaruto on
    If you can chill, chill.
    Steam ID
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MechMantis wrote: »

I usually just hold down Z. Is the shift method better or something?

Shift is faster. There's a bit of latency if you just hold down Z, and I think if you're holding Z and accidentally click a unit or structure then you'll deselect your warp gates.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Guys...I'm finally platinum. I'd like to thank everyone who helped me cheese and spam my way to this milestone.

EDIT: I also dhalgated for that particular win. :)

Grats!

cheese%20party%20-%20web.jpg

Edit: Wow... I didn't even notice the sad cracker until I posted it >.< ...

Mashimaro on
    463084-1.png
  • Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    todays GSL stuff.
    God damn it haypro.

God damn it.

Frozenzen on
  • Options
    peacekeeperpeacekeeper AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    look at poor joe in the window there

peacekeeper on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I don't know if I'm playing worse people but I'm feeling very on the ball this week. even the games I lose... I guess knowing why I lost helps

I guess what it seems like is if I don't get hit early by something I don't expect I tend to win. which feels awesome... but those games do pop up and I almost wish I saw them more often so I could learn to react better.

Variable on