As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 2-23-11: They're wearing sunglasses at night

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Graphic Violence
Detective Comics #874, James Gordon Jr. is incredibly freaky and a psychopath, who apparently Dick has met as a kid? is this new or in past Batman issues somewhere?

Anyway, it's a good issue, split between Gordon confronting his son and Dick trying to fight off the fear gas from last month:

dc874a.jpg

Dick still has trouble witht eh gas, gets knocked into the ocean and freaks out:

dc874b.jpg

I just thought that was odd yet funny at the same time. It looks like James Gordon Jr. might be the guy setting up the animal heists, he could be a new foil for Dick's rogue gallery.

edit: and the big baddie behind Luthor's troubles in Action Comics is revealed:

it's the worst Superman villain out there:

ac898a.jpg

TexiKen on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This week was kinda odd. Fantastic Four and Spider-Man were mostly silent issues, and Avengers had a silent opening with Namor, Rulk and Thor.

As for my MotW its either Tec, as previously mentioned, the insane worldbuilding FVL has started to do in every book. In one issue of PM&IF he creates the Allison Blaire School of Performing Arts, The Commedia Dell'Morte, a group of European clown assassins and the villain of the year, Pokerface

There's also a one-page exchange in Avengers between Iron Fist and Ant-Man that is pretty great.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not really an awesome moment but the Gwen Stacey/Green Goblin section of Amazing Spider-Man #655's nightmare sequence was fucked. I had problems actually reading it just due to the general creepiness.

However, the also depressing Fantastic Four #588 did have a sequence I would be comfortable as describing as badass as Hell
    2r44bcg.jpg
    ndrdeg.jpg

Furu on
    edited February 2011
    I'm honestly a little miffed about that. I mean, I completely understand why Val would be vengeful and angry, but the general tone of Future Foundation seems to be happy and hopeful and between that and Reed at the end of the issue I am worried that it may not stick with it.

I was looking forward to a happy fun sci-fi book so I would be upset if it veered off course.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I see nothing wrong with what Val wants to do. If she can save Nova and Starlord at the same time that would be the best way to celebrate FF #600.

X-Men Legacy was the first part of Age of X, and it was really good when it dealt with the chracterization. There are a few pages where they boo-hoo about the humans hating them which are just done to death, but the other characterization really shines through, and I think Mike Carey even makes a callback to X-Men #44, one of my favorite X-Men issues of all time:

Scott is completely Punisher in this world:

xml245a.jpg

xml245b.jpg

On top of this, Scott and Frenzy are a couple, Logan is just a bartender since he lost his mutant powers and can't pop his claws or he'll die, and there are 5 telekinetics on the island who build walls everyday to slow the humans down (Jean, Hellion, Psylocke, Legion, and some chick I don't know who)

and Kitty Pryde is in the mutant jail Magneto set up on the island, and Rogue discovers some secret that is going to destroy everything OMG.

TexiKen on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Previews of the next part already spoiled what the first big twist is though
    Blindfold is completely unchanged. Still has her X-Men uniform and everything.

Furu on
  • admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Uncanny X-Men #533, third-to-last page:
    Lobe throws vials of the mutant serum to his party guests and everyone wants to be Wolverine or Deadpool.

I'm enjoying Uncanny more and more as Gillen's voice gets more and more noticeable. At the same time, I really enjoyed Iron Man #501, especially:
    Tony's reaction to being attacked by "... one of Spider-Man's guys."

admanb on
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    man, the new spider-man chapter was ROUGH.

ManetherenWolf on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited February 2011
    Teen Titans #92
    Looks like Tim is back on the Titans and Damian is out. I don't know how I feel about that, as both of them are great. I hope either Tim is back as the leader or they fix Wonder Girl so she's not so whiny and down on herself all the time. Take her back to when she was confident and led Young Justice.

Also boo to it not having Nicola Scott art.

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Keith wrote: »
    Teen Titans #92
    Looks like Tim is back on the Titans and Damian is out. I don't know how I feel about that, as both of them are great. I hope either Tim is back as the leader or they fix Wonder Girl so she's not so whiny and down on herself all the time. Take her back to when she was confident and led Young Justice.

Also boo to it not having Nicola Scott art.
    Damien should dip into his trust fund and start a new team of Outsiders. He can keep the team a secret from Dick and keep his age a secret from the team, all the while striving to prove his worth outside the Wayne and al'Ghul legacies.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited February 2011
    I also loved that Marvel stuck the entire first issue of Heroes for Hire in the back of Avengers, hopefully it will boost sales. The book deserves it.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Really liked the conversation between Spider-man and Franklin in FF.

Kyougu on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I picked up the new FF comic too, Spidey had some good insight into what Franklin was going through. But my favorite moment was . . .
    Reed and Anihilus squaring off on opposite sides of a negative zone portal, Reed threatening Anihilus with the Cosmic Anihilator (or whatever that doomsday weapon is called) and Anihilus daring him to pull the trigger, knowing it would probably destroy Reed's world too. That scene where Anihilus holds up Johnny's ripped and torn shirt to taunt Reed is just so classic supervillain, it's hard to find such good supervillainy outside of Doom these days.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My Moment of the week was the Kid Who Collects Spider-man.

MastaP on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I picked up the new FF comic too, Spidey had some good insight into what Franklin was going through. But my favorite moment was . . .
    Reed and Anihilus squaring off on opposite sides of a negative zone portal, Reed threatening Anihilus with the Cosmic Anihilator (or whatever that doomsday weapon is called) and Anihilus daring him to pull the trigger, knowing it would probably destroy Reed's world too. That scene where Anihilus holds up Johnny's ripped and torn shirt to taunt Reed is just so classic supervillain, it's hard to find such good supervillainy outside of Doom these days.
    only his shirt, huh?

You know what they say...

Solar on
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Solar wrote: »
    only his shirt, huh?

You know what they say...
    It's not like he'd hold up Johnny's head

WeedLordVegeta on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's because he's not dead and is being held captive

Algertman on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Algertman wrote: »
    That's because he's not dead and is being held captive
    Yeah, I don't think the Human Torch will be gone for very long. Couple years tops. And in truth, I wouldn't want to see Marvel start taking character death seriously starting with him.

Caveman Paws on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, I think Morning Glories #7 is my moment of the week.

The whole book.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • durandal4532durandal4532 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ultimate Nullifier references are the best. "Oh right, Reed... do you still have that gun that I guess kills the universe?"

"Why? Why would we keep that?"

durandal4532 on
    Take a moment to donate what you can to Critical Resistance and Black Lives Matter.
    edited February 2011
    Ultimate Nullifier references are the best. "Oh right, Reed... do you still have that gun that I guess kills the universe?"

Why the hell wouldn't you keep it?

I'd sleep with it under my pillow!

Solar on
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    My moment of the week is that something happened in Invincible Iron Man! Something actually happened! I've been waiting for this moment for like two years! Oh, I'm the happiest boy in the world.

I skimmed an interview with the guy who's gonna be writing Iron Man 2.0, and he said that he thought that "World's Most Wanted" was the best comics book arc he's ever read, and I... I just don't have any response to that that isn't some sort of a bestial shriek.

I'm on the fence with the direction Deadpool's series just started moving in. I think that Wade works best when he's in a grounded setting, on Earth. Daniel Way has depicted Deadpool as a cartoon character living in a realistic world ('Pool-O-Vision seems like a very toony thing); I've always thought of Deadpool as being a character who imposes a cartoony nature on the immediate area around him just by being him. Like he has an aura of cartoony. Even gruff, stoic Cable becomes more tolerable when he's around. Putting Deadpool in a setting that is already weird and oddball and outlandish doesn't really interest me - I didn't see anything in this week's issue that excited me. What do you folks think? Am I way off base?

Delduwath on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Story necessities aside, why didn't some savvy operator in Marvel Cosmic just have him point it at the Canververse?

When it comes down to it, you'd think that somewhere in the multiverse would be a version of Reed who has taken it upon himself to do some universe-hopping with that specific idea in mind.

"Let's see. Interdimensional travel capabilities? Check. Monolithic universe-spanning power structure intent on spreading corruption to neighboring universes? Check. Right, then!: ::BLORT::

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
    edited February 2011
    FF588 was very sad, I thought. Art and writing was both very good.

the bit with Spider-Man and Franklin really was quite moving, a rare thing in superhero comics sometimes

Solar on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    143999 wrote: »

Story necessities aside, why didn't some savvy operator in Marvel Cosmic just have him point it at the Canververse?

When it comes down to it, you'd think that somewhere in the multiverse would be a version of Reed who has taken it upon himself to do some universe-hopping with that specific idea in mind.

"Let's see. Interdimensional travel capabilities? Check. Monolithic universe-spanning power structure intent on spreading corruption to neighboring universes? Check. Right, then!: ::BLORT::

No-Prize attempt - each universe has a different Nullifier and one won't work on another?

Wildcat on
  • 143999143999 Tellin' ya not askin' ya, not pleadin' with yaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

No-Prize attempt - each universe has a different Nullifier and one won't work on another?

Probably. (Is that speculation, or canonized somewhere?)

I just figured that any Richards who would go that far would have a moment of "lucidity" at some point and either off himself or his entire universe for harboring the corruption he'd want to eliminate.

143999 on
    8aVThp6.png
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    My moment of the week is that something happened in Invincible Iron Man! Something actually happened! I've been waiting for this moment for like two years! Oh, I'm the happiest boy in the world.

I skimmed an interview with the guy who's gonna be writing Iron Man 2.0, and he said that he thought that "World's Most Wanted" was the best comics book arc he's ever read, and I... I just don't have any response to that that isn't some sort of a bestial shriek.

I'm on the fence with the direction Deadpool's series just started moving in. I think that Wade works best when he's in a grounded setting, on Earth. Daniel Way has depicted Deadpool as a cartoon character living in a realistic world ('Pool-O-Vision seems like a very toony thing); I've always thought of Deadpool as being a character who imposes a cartoony nature on the immediate area around him just by being him. Like he has an aura of cartoony. Even gruff, stoic Cable becomes more tolerable when he's around. Putting Deadpool in a setting that is already weird and oddball and outlandish doesn't really interest me - I didn't see anything in this week's issue that excited me. What do you folks think? Am I way off base?

I'm back logged on my comics, I've been picking them up but between all the trades I've been getting I'm slowly catching up. It sounds silly but I don't always just sit down and read. I haven't read Iron Man since #20 and Deadpool the same, or whatever the X-Men arc was. Maybe Sunday, but I just got All Star Superman, and 4 new Hellboy trades. Oh that and Thor TMA, and I'm supposed to be studying for my Series 63. I'll let you know how it pans out. ASM gets my motw, just beautifully done.

cardboard delusions on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wildcat wrote: »

Probably. (Is that speculation, or canonized somewhere?)

I just figured that any Richards who would go that far would have a moment of "lucidity" at some point and either off himself or his entire universe for harboring the corruption he'd want to eliminate.

Pure speculation!

Wildcat on
    edited February 2011
    It's how the Infinity Gauntlets work, they only affect their own universe

So maybe the Ultimate Nullifier as well?

That said Galactus is actually from another Universe so maybe if that was the case the nullifier couldn't effect him, or maybe because he got here in a unique manner it counts.

Solar on