As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 Best social DS/DSi games

• ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I brought my DSxl last year, but i'll probably be trading that in for a 3DS soon.

i'll definately be bringing HG. i might have to grab mariokart before PAX too.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • browncoatbethbrowncoatbeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played a lot of tetris last year. this year I will definitely be bringing that, plus puzzle quest galactrix.

One key piece of advice - stay out of DS chat in the queue room. In about 60 seconds, I saw enough drawn d!cks to last me a lifetime. Blech.

browncoatbeth on

"The bass, the rock, the mic, the treble, I like my coffee black just like my metal." - MSI
  • Knuckles056Knuckles056 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'll have Mario Kart, Pokemon Heart Gold, and more then likely Tetris on me.

Knuckles056 on
  • lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just bought Rune Factory, not sure on what the mp features are of it but I think there is something.

lillb on
  • StephidabefidaStephidabefida Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone heard anything about the new You Don't Know Jack game for DS? I thought I might pick it up for PAX but I wasn't sure if anyone else would have it.

Stephidabefida on
    bftgk95jb551.png

• chrismsxchrismsx Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm bringing Pokemon Black... because i can't spend money on HG/SS.

chrismsx on
  • territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just bought a DSi today. Got too caught up in the excitement of using it in lines. So... I plan to buy/bring Mario Kart. Any other recommendations?
    I'm loathe to pick up Pokémon because obviously I won't have enough time to level anything up to anything nearly worthwhile.
    Advice appreciated.

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I just bought a DSi today. Got too caught up in the excitement of using it in lines. So... I plan to buy/bring Mario Kart. Any other recommendations?
    I'm loathe to pick up Pokémon because obviously I won't have enough time to level anything up to anything nearly worthwhile.
    Advice appreciated.

I started HG last week and have a team at 40 right now :P plenty of time before PAX to get to 50+! hehe ;) For other social games just look through this thread for non-rpgs and you should be set as far as "pick up and play" social games.

zerzhul on
  • Squill2k4Squill2k4 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lillb wrote: »
    Nice I've got 2 maps completed although I think one is the starter map and I have at least 2 more discovered that I need to complete. I may try complete more in the next month.

Random question, how/where do you get these maps at? I'm 28+ hours into the game and have not found 1 map.

Squill2k4 on
    edited February 2011
    Squill2k4 wrote: »
    Nice I've got 2 maps completed although I think one is the starter map and I have at least 2 more discovered that I need to complete. I may try complete more in the next month.

Random question, how/where do you get these maps at? I'm 28+ hours into the game and have not found 1 map.

You should be able to get the starter map from the quest called "Collapsus' Call" or something like that. He's located at Zere Rock (Dourbridge area). Don't recall how many hours in I was at that point. He's also possible to miss, if you just went straight up the stairs instead of talking to him laying on the stairs which are broken.

Hope that helps. I've got quite a few more maps but none of them are very high level ones. (You get a new map from the boss of each grotto)

Also if you haven't seen it yet, there is a thread for a Dragon Quest 9 meetup during PAX. Other players can give you some maps that way too.

lillb on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey guys!

My DSi has a faulty left shoulder button. I noticed that not many games actually use it so I guess I'm fine, but I'm wondering if it could cause a problem for some games I plan to get before going to PAX.

Notably:
    - Pokemon Black and White
    - Dragon Quest 9

Anyone knows if those games might have issues with the left bumper?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited February 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Hey guys!

My DSi has a faulty left shoulder button. I noticed that not many games actually use it so I guess I'm fine, but I'm wondering if it could cause a problem for some games I plan to get before going to PAX.

Notably:
    - Dragon Quest 9

I believe Left shoulder button in DQ9 just turns the camera in some instances. I don't recall it having any other uses, or at least none that I used.

lillb on
  • ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Deleted

Ziggo on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I would definitely recommend a DS. They're great time killers and have a good selection/variety of things to play.

As far as PAX goes, if there is one time to break it out, its there. There should be a DS Games thread around here somewhere but this is the best I can suggest from what I've seen:

- Mario Kart
    - Pokemon Games(the new black and white come out the Sunday before and there is even a DSi bundle, might be a good bet if your a buying one)
    - Tetris
    - Dragon Warrior IX
    - Any other easily played multiplayer game especially one that requires only one DS card.

Hell, even if you brought just your DS I'm sure you could find plenty of shenanigans to be had in pictochat. Hope this helps, keep an eye on the forums too, there will bunch of things going on. Also check out the handheld lounge.

EDIT: Nevermind, looks like someone beat me to moving you to the thread. haha.

Oldmangloom315 on
  • ZiggoZiggo Registered User regular
    edited July 2022
    Deleted

Ziggo on
    We aren't the beginning, nor the end, but we can sure as hell make a difference if we try.
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just perusing and it looks like we need a DQ9 meet up along with the Pokemon meet ups at this pax as well? Just give me the word and we'll have it figured out as well as tweeted in a couple spots.

Also: Just reiterating that Mario Kart, Tetris (if you have or can find), Dragon Quest, Puzzle Quest, and Peggle are all great socializing games for PAX.

See y'all soon!
    DFTBA

Scoots on
  • OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I can't believe no one's said Clash of Heroes. That game was all the rage at last PAX, I must have played 50 someodd games of it in lines. It's really fun, really addicting, and best of all, you can enjoy multiplayer with just one cartridge (albeit, it's a limited form, but still). I really hope to get more games in at this PAX. It's a strategy/puzzle game, intensely satisfying, I find. Also, it nearly ruined a marriage <3.
    743641797_G7Qai-L-1.jpg

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • tortured3tortured3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not DS or DSi but im sure ill be playing alot of Words with Friends

tortured3 on
    grym & kvlt
  • kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    - Any other easily played multiplayer game especially one that requires only one DS card.

lamest question ever.

but.

ds card? is there something else i need for my dsi to play wifi games? i've never owned/played a multiplayer wi-fi game and was gonna pick up mario kart for pax. am i supposed to be picking up something else so i can play these types of games?

thanks!

kid_nyc on
  • WizardWizard Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Scoots wrote: »
    Just perusing and it looks like we need a DQ9 meet up along with the Pokemon meet ups at this pax as well? Just give me the word and we'll have it figured out as well as tweeted in a couple spots.

Also: Just reiterating that Mario Kart, Tetris (if you have or can find), Dragon Quest, Puzzle Quest, and Peggle are all great socializing games for PAX.

See y'all soon!
    DFTBA

Well, we've got a DQ9 meet up topic running. Some Tweet action would be pretty sweet though. (Though Trion may have it managed. He's doing great with the topic.)

And @kid_nyc:

DS games come on little card-like cartridges. Many multiplayer games (Mario Kart, Bomberman, Tetris) allow you to play multiplayer off of one person's game. (The rest just temporarily download the necessary data and then you all play.)

So even if you don't have the games themselves, you can take part and have fun.

Wizard on
    edited February 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    lamest question ever.
    but.
    ds card? is there something else i need for my dsi to play wifi games? i've never owned/played a multiplayer wi-fi game and was gonna pick up mario kart for pax. am i supposed to be picking up something else so i can play these types of games?
    thanks!

I only purchased my DSi last weekend, but from what I've read, basically if one person owns Mario Kart, then a group can all use that one person's game to play a multiplayer game together on their own DSes. It seems tremendously foresighted on Nintendo's part.

Please, anyone, clarify if that's wrong.

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    Hey guys!

Notably:
    - Dragon Quest 9

I've played a little of the Japanese version of Pkmn B/W and haven't found any use for the bumpers as of yet - there might be some rotation functionality in the Dream World if you're placing furniture but I haven't done any of that (seems like pseudo animal crossing with pokemon) - I think you'll be fine sans left bumper.
    Advice appreciated.
    I wouldn't hesitate to get the Black/White when it comes out, everyone will still have low pkmnz, I'm sure you could find lower players to battle, etc etc. Can't comment if you're loathe to get it for other reasons though XD

Tuft on
    edited February 2011
    I only purchased my DSi last weekend, but from what I've read, basically if one person owns Mario Kart, then a group can all use that one person's game to play a multiplayer game together on their own DSes. It seems tremendously foresighted on Nintendo's part.
    Wizard wrote: »

whhhaaaaaaat?

i thought you and your opponent had to own the game to be able to play. i had no idea you could just piggyback on someone else's game. thanks for the info!

you might have just saved me $30....

kid_nyc on
  • zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011

whhhaaaaaaat?

i thought you and your opponent had to own the game to be able to play. i had no idea you could just piggyback on someone else's game. thanks for the info!

Some games allow "download multiplayer" where one game owner can host the ability to download a temporary subset of the game for multiplayer use. I'm sure there's a list somewhere (wikipedia maybe? nintendo's website?) that lists the games that support this.

zerzhul on
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

whhhaaaaaaat?

Some games allow "download multiplayer" where one game owner can host the ability to download a temporary subset of the game for multiplayer use. I'm sure there's a list somewhere (wikipedia maybe? nintendo's website?) that lists the games that support this.
    I was curious also so I did a bit of searching and came up with this:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/NDS_Multiplayer_Games
    it breaks down which games have download play, multicart mp, and nintendo wifi mode.

lillb on
    edited February 2011
    I was curious also so I did a bit of searching and came up with this:
    http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/NDS_Multiplayer_Games
    it breaks down which games have download play, multicart mp, and nintendo wifi mode.

thanks for finding that! it's a great reference!

kid_nyc on
  • <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lamest question ever.
    but.
    thanks!

Please, anyone, clarify if that's wrong.

Usually, it's a pretty dumbed down version of the multiplayer. Mario Kart, for example, only allows you to race on 4 (?) tracks over download play but the full set is available if all the players have the cart. Tetris, on the other hand, is awesome for download play as it's the same basic game.

<Omicron-8643> on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well, we've got a DQ9 meet up topic running. Some Tweet action would be pretty sweet though. (Though Trion may have it managed. He's doing great with the topic.)

Yes, just saw the thread now actually. heading that a way to discuss thiiiiiiiings.

Scoots on
  • GrimmTrixXGrimmTrixX Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Also, in mario kart download play you are all forced to be shy guy if you dont have the game. I'll join in this conversation and bring Tetris DS, Mario Kart DS, Pokemon HG and Pokemon White. Not sure what else. I own Clash of Heroes but havent really played it (i own over 2200 video games as I am a collector, i buy more than I play lol) but is it that good?

GrimmTrixX on
  • psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've also never played any of the pokey mons, but I plan on picking up one or both of B/W, so I'll be a PokeNewb running around PAX.

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    psychopez wrote: »
    I've also never played any of the pokey mons, but I plan on picking up one or both of B/W, so I'll be a PokeNewb running around PAX.

i'm considering doing this as well. i know a lot of people who are really into the pokemon stuff, but i just never got on board. perhaps now is the time.

also, i LOVE that you have a calvino quote in your sig. just saying.

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • emf715emf715 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Add me to the list of PokeNoobs running around next week. I'm picking up a DSi and Pokemon White this weekend. Haven't played since the original.

emf715 on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just picked up Pokemon SS last week and I've sunk about 7 hours into it already. I'd never seen the attraction before but figured I should give it a go as I'm attending the Pokecrawl! Love. It. Think I'll have to get B/W this weekend, see what sort of team I can put together in time for PAX.

Also bringing Tetris, Geometry Wars, Mario Kart and Mario Party. Thinking of grabbing Super Monkey Ball too.

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2011
    Hey guys, my DS collection is a meagre 3 games, so I might as well bring 'em all with me.

Metroid Prime Hunters, like all Metroid games, completely befuddles me. So does anyone wanna play deathmatch with me?

territoires on
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tetris and Mario Kart are obvious, and I've picked up both for PAX.

Also recall enjoying Big Brain Academy way back in PAX 2006, so picked that up on the cheap as well.

Clubhouse Games is a collection of typical card/board games, bringing that along too.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Practicing a bit of Tetris in preperation for PAX.

Personal high score: 281,737.

Challengers welcome.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm bringing Ivy the Kiwi and DQIX, along with some other RPGs. I hope multiplayer Ivy is something others enjoy as much as I do. Also very tempted by Pokemon White, but not sure if I'll have it by the time PAX East is on. Would be glad to jump in on someone's game of Mario Kart in the queue or handheld lounge. :)

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • cluebuycluebuy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hi, I'll have a lot of the DS games listed here but I also wanted to mention various multiplayer DSiware games. I would love to meet people to play some of these games:

-Pop Island or Pop Island: Paperfield
    -Dragon Quest Wars
    -Number Battles
    -Photo Dojo
    -Elemental Masters
    -Picturebook Games: The Royal Bluff

And I would also love to play anyone in Clubhouse Games (a standard DS game)

cluebuy on
  • creid8creid8 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone else bringing either of the Final Fantasy CC games for DS?

creid8 on
  • Oldmangloom315Oldmangloom315 [ENFORCER] Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    cluebuy wrote: »
    And I would also love to play anyone in Clubhouse Games (a standard DS game)

YOU'RE ON!

Oldmangloom315 on