As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Need advice on 360 Online Multiplayer games

Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-FedRegistered User regular
edited February 2011 in Games and Technology
I have a friend who just got Xbox Gold and wants to try out some online multiplayer stuff but she wants to limit it to games we can set up matches for just us two and then populate the rest, if necessary, with bots. Any suggestions?

Magic Pink on

• Options
    AngryPuppyAngryPuppy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Call of Duty Black Ops has a combat training mode where you can play the multiplayer game types with bots - I believe it has an accelerated version of the leveling up / unlocking though I haven't actually played it personally.

Gears of War 2 has bots in multiplayer and also horde mode which is a co-operative game type vs waves of enemies from the single player - though I get the feeling you're looking for the competitive multiplayer experience except without having to jump straight in am I right? If you're open to co-operative games as well then you'll have tons of options.

AngryPuppy on
    PSN: AngryPuppyEsq
  • Options
    SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Reach is always a good starting point as it's always popular :)

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Seanron wrote: »
    Reach is always a good starting point as it's always popular :)

Second Reach.

There's a lot of bang for your buck there.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No Call of Duty, no Halo, no Gears of War. I find them all unbearable.

These are the games we both own but neither of us have touched multi in them. Co-op or competitive doesn't matter, we'll try both. Would any of these work?

Red Faction
    Bio-Shock 2
    Red Dead Redemption
    Crackdown
    Crackdown2
    Assassin's Creed Brotherhood
    Ghostbusters
    Civilization Revolut'n

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Civ, the Crackdowns, and Red Dead are your best bets

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can set up private matches in RDR and coop your way through gang hideouts. Crackdown also is fun in coop. And I believe that Civ will let you play with just the 2 of you and 3 bots (Civ: Rev matches are locked at 5 civs).

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If you dislike Halo but haven't played Reach, then you should really play Reach. I have only grudgingly played Halo in the past. But Reach is excellence, through and through.

That said, Red Dead Redemption is wonderful for you & a friend to just dick around in your own version of the world. There's a fortress on a cliff in Mexico and you can man the cannons and basically declare war on Mexico for hours on end.

Fable II co-op is terribad, for the record.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Halo Wars is cool times vs bots. You can customise up to six slots between a mix of human or AI partners and opponents. Can be had for £cheap these days too.

Edit: No Halo or Gears? The firefight / Horde modes are awesome for co-op vs bots!

Get Perfect Dark HD on XBLA.

fragglefart on
    fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cool, thanks guys. We'll hammer something out with these although I am hella disappont we can't use Red Faction.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do they have to be FPS games?

That new contra game, Hard Corps is pretty special side-scrolling shooter. Castle Crashers is a great beat-em-up with plenty of fun/value. You can do private jump-in-jump-out co-op in Dead Rising 2, oh also in Crackdown 2, which you have listed already. I thoroughly enjoyed the co-op in Army of Two, which can be had on the cheap; I have no idea if the newer one is as good or better than the first, but you might want to look into that one too.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    edited February 2011

No, actually I hate FPSs; we're just going that route because the things breed like rats. I'm trying to convince her to get DR2 but it's a slow battle even after she found out you can kill zombies with dildos.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    ArteenArteen Adept ValeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Crackdown is quite good for co-op, and the first one is cheap. I had a lot of fun in the Halo Wars RTS, too. It has campaign co-op and multiplayer bots. I always enjoy watching my adorable little human dudes murder another guy's adorable little alien dudes.

Arteen on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Magic Pink wrote: »

No, actually I hate FPSs; we're just going that route because the things breed like rats. I'm trying to convince her to get DR2 but it's a slow battle even after she found out you can kill zombies with dildos.

She's a lost cause then. Sorry Pink.

urahonky on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    urahonky wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »

She's a lost cause then. Sorry Pink.

No, it's a money issue, not content. I just assume she'd sell a kidney to get the cash after she found that out but nooooOOOOOoooooo.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ahhh okay. Then there might be hope yet... Crackdown is a blast co-op so I'm sure you two will enjoy it.

urahonky on