As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

MMA XIII: UFC FIGHT NIGHT 24: PHIL DAVIS V.S ROGERIO NOGUEIRA [GET HYPED]

• Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I were Zuffa, I'd buy shares of some cheap fledgling channel and start funneling it UFC fights. Discretely, of course.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    they should do telemundo and borrow the soccer announcers

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And he's locking in the rear NAKED CHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO oh nope he escaped and now they're back to their feet.

adytum on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :lol:

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    ChillyWillyChillyWilly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »

Apparently, Rivera better back all that shit up man.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Not a guy you should piss off.

edit: or on

i imagine that would also garner a bad reaction

815165 on
  • Options
    DangerbirdDangerbird Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rivera looked pretty unnerved at how pissed off Bisping was.

I'm looking forward to this fight. :)

Dangerbird on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    So here's Machida and Anderson sparring at Blackhouse.

Have fun

And a No-Gi Worlds 2010 highlight reel. Woot.

ChillyWilly on
    PAFC Top 10 Finisher in Seasons 1 and 3. 2nd in Seasons 4 and 5. Final 4 in Season 6.
  • Options
    doug_grammardoug_grammar Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I recently tried out No-Gi grappling. Wow, when that friction goes out the window it's a whole new ball game.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man, I hope Machida can get a win soon. I love that guy.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
  • Options
    Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yes, that would be fucking great. God, I love Machida.

He's going to have to change his game though. Or at least be able to change his game.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I recently tried out No-Gi grappling. Wow, when that friction goes out the window it's a whole new ball game.

I started out with a Gi on, but I enjoy No-Gi more nowadays simply because I think the techniques I learn practicing it are more applicable to real life situations. If someone jumps me, they're probably not going to be wearing a Gi, you know?
    Yes, I realize that someone who has a black belt in GJJ/BJJ is still going to be able to defend themselves just fine against an attacker who isn't wearing a Gi, but the closer to real life, the better I feel about it.

On top of that, the tournaments I go to allow more holds at my experience level for No-Gi and I like having my game as open as possible.

Speaking of No-Gi grappling, have you guys heard of Luta Livre? If not, you should look into it, if only for the history aspects. It's not a big force in MMA right now, but the feud between it and BJJ is interesting to read about.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    Venkman90Venkman90 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Speaking of No-Gi grappling, have you guys heard of Luta Livre? If not, you should look into it, if only for the history aspects. It's not a big force in MMA right now, but the feud between it and BJJ is interesting to read about.

Team Kaobon in Liverpool train Luta Livre.
    Marcelo Brigadeiro - Luta Livre Coach

Marcelo Brigadeiro is a Luta Livre Black Belt under Marcio Cromado from RFT Team in Brazil. Many times champion of the best submission-wrestling tournaments, he is the only fighter who won three times the Brazilian National Championship of Submission and seven times the Rio de Janeiro State Championship of Submission (the hardest submission tournament in Brazil).

Brigadeiro also holds the title of International Submission Wrestling Champion among many other titles. Known by his amazing techniques on the ground, Brigadeiro began training Luta Livre in 1995, and teaches since 2000.

He has been teaching and fighting in countries such as Brazil, England, Germany, France, Switzerland, Luxemburg and Austria for the last 9 years. Nowadays he is the Luta Livre Coach of Team Kaobon (UK) and RFT (Brazil).

Notable fighters inclue Terry Etim, Paul Kelly, Paul Sass and Paul Taylor, of those only Etim and Sass actually show off any of that though:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Sass

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Etim

Etim has 3 subs of the night now and was doing well on the mat with Dos Anjos in the 1st. Sass is the Cody McKenzie of the Traingle...

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    UFC 127 is in two days. Don't forget to make your Playground picks, mates!

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    On that note, we have exactly 20 people participating in PAFCR4. Given that, the format will be the same as PAFCR2; a first round qualifier for the top 16, followed by a single elimination winners bracket for 1st - 4th place, a single elimination losers bracket for 5th - 16th place, and an elimination bracket for the ultra-loser bottom 4 from the first-round elimination.

Don't be a Willy and forget to make your first round picks.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Is Zzulu alive? We need to get mojojoeo and Inquisitor77 added to the fight camp.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    adytum wrote: »
    Oh that note, we have exactly 20 people participating in PAFCR4. Given that, the format will be the same as PAFCR2; a first round qualifier for the top 16, followed by a single elimination winners bracket for 1st - 4th place, a single elimination losers bracket for 5th - 16th place, and an elimination bracket for the ultra-loser bottom 4 from the first-round elimination.

Don't be a Willy and forget to make your first round picks.

Apparently I'm not the only one that remembers my PAFC 2 mistake. :lol:

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Mark Hunt v Chris Tuchscherer

What is this I don't even

adytum on
  • Options
    [Tycho?][Tycho?] As elusive as doubt Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    B:L wrote: »
    [Tycho?] wrote: »
    815165 wrote: »
    Ryan Bader's nickname is the only interesting thing about him. :^:

Truth.

"The Last Emperor" is really cool, but prone to being over-used. Not the sort of name that the announcer calls you before a fight. Kinda like Captain America for Randy; he has it, but its more an embodiment of who he is as a fighter as opposed to a name.
    What. Randy is "The Natural".

Yes, and that is what announcers call him. He is also called Captain America though. This is not an "official" nickname, but rather a nickname in the traditional sense of the word.

[Tycho?] on
    mvaYcgc.jpg
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    People who want into the fight camp need to PM me, and they need to give me their MMAplayground names.

I sent mojojoeo an invite, but Inquisitor77 does not exist on the website.

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Zzulu wrote: »
    People who want into the fight camp need to PM me, and they need to give me their MMAplayground names.

I sent mojojoeo an invite, but Inquisitor77 does not exist on the website.

On mmaplayground? I just sent him a PM a bit ago reminding him to sign up.

adytum on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Ok. I caught up one the bisping trolling.

Is it wrong to want Jorge to win based on the trolling?

Tito I hated but understood he was acting. Kos I was 'meh' towards but got he was acting.
    Jorge .... I love this for some stupid reason. Maybe its cause bisping is a reformed troll.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    kos was never acting

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Rivera is a gentleman's troll.

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I like Bisping and even I think Riveras trolling was pretty cool (at times).

But at the presser he really didn't seem to have it in him.

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I wished there was a Luta Livre facility near where I live, but then again, where does a place like that exist in all of America, right?

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Venkman90 wrote: »

Well, Bisping was acting a little crazy pants.

Save it for the cage.

adytum on
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

I wished there was a Luta Livre facility near where I live, but then again, where does a place like that exist in all of America, right?
    Probably in the Southern part.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    He meant Real America™

adytum on
  • Options
    dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    why does everyone like fitch this weekend
    cmon
    what does the hilo kid have to do to get some respect

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    dlinfiniti wrote: »
    cmon

Stop losing to Frankie Edgar?

adytum on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I could be wrong, but I think that was Rivera's idea.

1. Troll successfully
    2. Show up at the presser with his hands in his pockets and act like Bisping doesn't phase him in the least
    3. Win

Pretty much the Chael Sonnen self-marketing process.

If he can accomplish step 3, he will have owned Bisping for pretty much a straight month and will come out looking like a badass.

If Bisping wins, though, he's going to look like an assclown. :lol:

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cmon

Not be fighting a guy who has dominated every single fighter he's faced with the exception of GSP.

Snarfmaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011

I could be wrong, but I think that was Rivera's idea.

1. Troll successfully
    2. Show up at the presser with his hands in his pockets and act like Bisping doesn't phase him in the least
    3. Win

Pretty much the Chael Sonnen self-marketing process.

If he can accomplish step 3, he will have owned Bisping for pretty much a straight month and will come out looking like a badass.

If Bisping wins, though, he's going to look like an assclown. :lol:

If he wins his stock shoots up instantly, not because Bisping is a top guy but because he is a big name who has only lost to people who have worn belts (and as tight at the Hamill fight was the Rashad fight was too).

Venkman90 on
  • Options
    815165815165 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    cmon

Not be fighting a guy who has dominated every single fighter he's faced with the exception of GSP.
    Plus, wrestlers tend to be the hardest match for Penn, and Fitch is a pretty big guy.

I hope Penn wins because he's awesome, but I really hope that this being a #1 contenders match doesn't fuck with GSP/Silva possibly happening; GSP will stomp both these dudes again.

815165 on
  • Options
    mojojoeomojojoeo A block off the park, living the dream.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    815165 wrote: »
    cmon

Plus, wrestlers tend to be the hardest match for Penn, and Fitch is a pretty big guy.

I hope Penn wins because he's awesome, but I really hope that this being a #1 contenders match doesn't fuck with GSP/Silva possibly happening; GSP will stomp both these dudes again.

Fitch will blanket BJ's smaller frame. This is like a gimmie match. it goes to round three, unanimous for fitch.
    Fitch has gone to decision every fight he's had since 07. He only really lost to GSP since 03. This has the makings of a squash match.

BJ needs a hell of a night.

mojojoeo on
    Chief Wiggum: "Ladies, please. All our founding fathers, astronauts, and World Series heroes have been either drunk or on cocaine."
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Listening to Bas Rutten on Joe Rogan's podcast. Some highlights so far:

Awesome bar fight story.

Lots of great history on his early fighting career and life in general, including how he got into martial arts as a kid by seeing a Bruce Lee movie begging his parents for a couple of years.

A story about how Bas almost fought Wanderlei under K-1 rules but using 4 ounce MMA gloves.

Also, Kevin James (King of Queens) trains with Bas and has also been good friends with Rogan for many years. Apparently, he hits the pads like a beast and his technique is crisp and powerful. Would have never guessed.

ChillyWilly on
  • Options
    fmz65fmz65 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Superheavyweight bout between Kevin James and Tim Sylvia... make it happen!

fmz65 on
    daleyk.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011

Also, Kevin James (King of Queens) trains with Bas and has also been good friends with Rogan for many years. Apparently, he hits the pads like a beast and his technique is crisp and powerful. Would have never guessed.

I've seen a training clip of him a few years ago with Randy Couture, and he seemed to be very enthusiastic. He must've stuck to it.

I want to see a training clip of him now though. It probably won't happen seeing how in the podcast he was said to be a very humble guy.

doug_grammar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah. He apparently doesn't like people saying that he trains. Good thing Bas and Joe were around to do exactly the opposite. :D

ChillyWilly on