As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Mos Eisley [CHAT]ina

• Options
    FugitiveFugitive Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tam wrote: »
    Fugitive wrote: »
    whatchoo mean by overblown fantasy bullshit Fug?

are you referring
    to things such as those many tomes of lore?

The tomes are one thing, but it's kind of expected that any self-respecting fantasy world is going to be stuffed to the brim with back story and context.

What I'm talking about are the flat, uninspired characters that populate the world. All of the NPC's felt like the safest kinds of set-pieces. Beggar's didn't really seem tragic or interesting, they were just beggars. And you were less-likely to feel sorry for the fact they were sleeping on a dirty blanket in the street, and more like to go into a jealous murder-spree because they even had a place to sleep that didn't require slaughtering a bandit camp.

Sailors felt like they were on the cusp of breaking into song. Crazy people were usually the fun, endearing kind of crazy. Guards were things in armor that were impossible to kill and showed up whenever you meant to talk to someone but accidentally grabbed an apple off the table in front of them. It seemed like, outside of the fact that hell portals were opening up every 15 feet, everyone was pretty happy with their situation no matter where you went, and the ones who weren't barely registered because, again, they were really flat to begin with.

It was the same kind of idyllic fantasy world that you see in the genre again and again.

Morrowind kind of had this problem, but the world as a whole was interesting enough that you didn't notice.

ah ok
    yes, I agree

though I was having fun in the game anyway and that mitigates things somewhat

Skyrim definitely looks like it'll deliver on its graphical aspects, but I guess it remains to be seen whether their narrative approach changed as well

edit: you mind if I take this over to the SE thread? or you could if you want

Sure. Do with my words whatever your desire, my lord!

Fugitive on
  • Options
    SiegfriedSiegfried Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8KswnjMa-MQ

No clue what the sound is like on this, but here it is anyway.

At first I thought it was cute, but then I realized that the cat is just stupid as he is just putting his head under the faucet so he can drink the water as it drips off his head.

Stupid cat.

...or SMARTEST cat?

Siegfried on
    Portfolio // Twitter // Behance // Tumblr
    Kochikens wrote:
    My fav is when I can get my kiss on with other dudes.
  • Options
    KochikensKochikens Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Godfather wrote: »
    One of these days I am gonna front the money for a plane ticket to Vancouver, if only because the women there are jaw-dropping gorgeous.

uhhh

Kochikens on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    he's edgin your turf, kochi
    I'd suggest a knife fight in the streets, but it's Canada

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I really hope he comes to Vancouver and macks on some ladies

and then they kick him in the balls. Then he starts to do judo moves on them. Then he gets put in Canadian jail.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    i imagine he just walks out of the airport and looks around, lost, because he didn't plan beyond the plane ticket

in the middle of the highway

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    yes
    all of these things
    this is what I want for christmas. Please, santa, please.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    Angel_of_BaconAngel_of_Bacon Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    Kochikens wrote: »
    Canadian jail

Sorry, I'm trying to picture this in my mind as a serious thing, but my mind keeps rebelling by imagining it as an inherently hilarious scenario filled with stereotypically Canadian good-natured and friendly prisoners guarded by stereotypically Canadian good-natured and friendly Mounties, as it would be depicted in a mid-90's cartoon show.

Having said that, I'm probably going to have to avoid all you real-life Canadian forumers from now on, because you'll probably try to stab me in the kidneys to teach a Very Important Lesson about buying into stereotypes.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Turbotax says my refund this year is like $18.

This is a sad development.

What's up with you all, AC?

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Actually bacon, the RCMP can be big ol' assholes
    Turbotax says my refund this year is like $18.

This is a sad development.

What's up with you all, AC?

I owe $7
    it's kind of funny and sad at the same time

Tam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Canadian jail

Sorry, I'm trying to picture this in my mind as a serious thing, but my mind keeps rebelling by imagining it as an inherently hilarious scenario filled with stereotypically Canadian good-natured and friendly prisoners guarded by stereotypically Canadian good-natured and friendly Mounties, as it would be depicted in a mid-90's cartoon show.

Having said that, I'm probably going to have to avoid all you real-life Canadian forumers from now on, because you'll probably try to stab me in the kidneys to teach a Very Important Lesson about buying into stereotypes.

you forget that the vancouver area has produced people like Robert Pickton. I do not think I would want to be inside of our prisons.

Kochikens on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    you forget that the vancouver area has produced people like Robert Pickton. I do not think I would want to be inside of our prisons.

<looks up Robert Pickton on Wikipedia>

Well, you've certainly sobered up my whimsical fantasy in the shortest of all possible orders. :?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I just did the same thing. God damn.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    whatchoo mean by overblown fantasy bullshit Fug?

are you referring
    to things such as those many tomes of lore?

The tomes are one thing, but it's kind of expected that any self-respecting fantasy world is going to be stuffed to the brim with back story and context.

What I'm talking about are the flat, uninspired characters that populate the world. All of the NPC's felt like the safest kinds of set-pieces. Beggar's didn't really seem tragic or interesting, they were just beggars. And you were less-likely to feel sorry for the fact they were sleeping on a dirty blanket in the street, and more like to go into a jealous murder-spree because they even had a place to sleep that didn't require slaughtering a bandit camp.

Sailors felt like they were on the cusp of breaking into song. Crazy people were usually the fun, endearing kind of crazy. Guards were things in armor that were impossible to kill and showed up whenever you meant to talk to someone but accidentally grabbed an apple off the table in front of them. It seemed like, outside of the fact that hell portals were opening up every 15 feet, everyone was pretty happy with their situation no matter where you went, and the ones who weren't barely registered because, again, they were really flat to begin with.

It was the same kind of idyllic fantasy world that you see in the genre again and again.

Morrowind kind of had this problem, but the world as a whole was interesting enough that you didn't notice.

ah ok
    yes, I agree

though I was having fun in the game anyway and that mitigates things somewhat

Skyrim definitely looks like it'll deliver on its graphical aspects, but I guess it remains to be seen whether their narrative approach changed as well

edit: you mind if I take this over to the SE thread? or you could if you want

Sure. Do with my words whatever your desire, my lord!

I'm sad I missed the TES conversation, so I'm going to add my comment nao.

To extrapolate on what fug said, morrowinds WORLD was interesting. With oblivion it feels like they tried way to hard to reinvent a world that already existed. I mean, the set was only 2 years after Morrowind. The fact that the world of oblivion was bland made the characters stick out more, which made it painfully obvious how bland they were. I mean, even Caius Cosades had more character than even Martin Septim, and he couldn't even speak other than a greeting decided by how much he liked you.

On a completely separate topic, this video kept my laughs perpetual. For like half an hour.
    DSUB, I promise this one isn't a waste of your time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kk9oa_PiXAk

ninjai on
  • Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Need dat blue dot

Also: killed like 4 of those fucker bugs in the past two hours.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man I don't know what I would do if I had to kill stinky bugs all the time.

I get a lot of hornets in the summer, but I turned it into a game, so it is entertaining and it passes the time.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I've never had to kill this many bugs this frequently hahaha

NightDragon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Man I don't know what I would do if I had to kill stinky bugs all the time.

Probably go to Home Depot and get some sort of bug deterring spray for your windows/doors so you wouldn't have to keep killing them (by hand, at least)?

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Combos are not breakfast food. X( bleh

ninjai on
  • Options
    earthwormadamearthwormadam ancient crust Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Combos are barely any kind of food.

Also yeah, I guess Bacon, if you want to be all logical and stuff.

earthwormadam on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Also yeah, I guess Bacon, if you want to be all logical and stuff.

Actually, now that you mention it, I don't.

So instead I'm going to suggest stealing a bunch of chopsticks from a cheap Asian restaurant and use them to practice your Mr.Miyagi bug-catching skills.

Angel_of_Bacon on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Y'know, I have never tried that. I might just do that now.

ninjai on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hahahaha, one of my friends just posted a comic by Firman on my Facebook wall. I think she found it randomly.

this is excellent

NightDragon on
  • Options
    GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really hope he comes to Vancouver and macks on some ladies

and then they kick him in the balls. Then he starts to do judo moves on them. Then he gets put in Canadian jail.

Man, you just take every opportunity to put a slam on me, don't ya?

Godfather on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    killed three more bugs

gross

I love how I told myself last night "go to bed early, you didn't get any sleep last night". I didn't. I told myself this again tonight. It's 1am and I still have to shower, and then I can sleep. What is wrong with meeeeee seriously

NightDragon on
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    how are you killing these things? You can do a paper towel of bug spray chloroform rag style if you dont want to crush them.

I guess if they spray that smell it doesn't matter though. But I simply don't like to crush bugs.

Iruka on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, crushin' bugs is gross....but these guys apparently give off that odor even when they're just "disturbed" or "frightened", I guess. There's no way of avoiding it unless I crush them in a paper towel or kleenex, immediately wrap them up in it, and throw it away. Even then there's this lingering "YOU JUST KILLED ONE-A-DEM BUGS" smell that's.....augh

I didn't mind it at first but after killing...what, 5? 6? of these guys tonight alone, the smell's started to become a little more prominent. D:

NightDragon on
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    febreze the fuck out of them.

Nappuccino on
    Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    IrukaIruka Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    I read that as Freeze the fuck out of them, which....

ND can you wield a compressed air can upsidedown.

Because, I can make some wildly irresponsible suggestions.

Iruka on
  • Options
    MolybdenumMolybdenum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I get those bugs in my cincy apartment. I'm always relieved to see them, as opposed to roaches and bedbugs. harmless, medium-sized, and my variant don't even smell, from what i can tell.

I have a designated bug-annihilating 18-inch cork-backed steel ruler in a polystyrene sleeve. it has just enough of a flexible whip action to lend a satisfying whistling noise and thwack to any insect clearances, successful or not.

Molybdenum on
    Steam: Cilantr0
    3DS: 0447-9966-6178
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I need to stop grinding my teeth...they hurt :(

DeeLock on
  • Options
    m3nacem3nace Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This is how you deal with bugs!
    78e281982c3efc586bab850d0f216390.jpg
    There's more

m3nace on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I need to stop grinding my teeth...they hurt :(

Yes that doesn't sound like an entirely pleasant experience.

ninjai on
  • Options
    DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm just so intense.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    DeeLock wrote: »
    I'm just so intense.

She said that.

Also, I don't have any critique for you, but your new stuff is goddamn amazing.

ninjai on
  • Options
    desperaterobotsdesperaterobots perth, ausRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm!

Do you guys have any ideas when it comes to 'first time painter' exercises I could suggest to my friend who wants to start painting? He's kind of frightened to take up a brush and put it to canvas. Beyond telling him JUST DO IT, are there any specific exercises that you guys might recommend?

desperaterobots on
  • Options
    EncEnc A Fool with Compassion Pronouns: He, Him, HisRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are you getting the bugs because your house is heated and you live where it's freezing right now? A quick solution to make your place less attractive would be to turn off the heat for a day and stay at a friends place/deal with it. Once it gets too cold to harbor them they'll move on or die.

At least, that works with roaches.

Also, you can hand-vacuum most insects to keep them from smelling. Suck the stinky air, bug, and everything else into the void of no return where they can live in peace a la Rocco's Modern Life.

Enc on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love my wife. I asked her where did she want to eat, and she jumped up and said "RED ROBSTER!!!"

Hehehe, robster.

MagicToaster on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh my god. I've been toying with the idea of designing a game for a long, long time, and I just had two of the most incredible ideas of my life last night. I need to either find some programmers or get seriously better at doing this myself.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    MagicToasterMagicToaster JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tell us! Here is mine:

It is a first person office adventure RPG.

The game starts with your guy waking up in his cubicle after accidentaly dozing off in front of his computer. You have a main quest in which you uncover a plot that involves selling the company to a foreign country.

You travel from floor to floor to different departments as you slowly make your way up to the PentHouse in which you have to fight the CEO. Each foor however, has it's own VP that you must fight.

Of course, you'd have side quests too! You have to find out who is the food theif in the 3rd floor. Or, you'll have to help the security guard find his glasses... or fix a jammed printer.

You can also have mini games that give you access to better equipment. If you help the receptionist transfer all the calls during her lunch break, she gives you a high power stapler. If you help the IT guy replace all the toners he'll give you better storage space and you can carry more items.

The main charecter's name is Milton.

MagicToaster on
This discussion has been closed.