As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PATV 4th Panel: Dodging Bullets

1235»

• KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Javen wrote: »
    I liked the darksun campaign so much. Both because Jerry was the DM, and also because wil Wheaton got kind of annoying at times and Kris Two Coins is great

I was so happy to find out that Jim Darkmagic wasn't a fluke and yes, Mike is hilarious no matter what character.

KalTorak on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    As much as I loved the PAX D&D game and I think he seems like a cool guy, Wheaton kinda drove me nuts. At the same time, if it weren't for him we wouldn't have gotten some of the best Kurtz/Binwin lines.

Adus on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    As much as I loved the PAX D&D game and I think he seems like a cool guy, Wheaton kinda drove me nuts. At the same time, if it weren't for him we wouldn't have gotten some of the best Kurtz/Binwin lines.

Yeah Wheaton was trying a bit too hard.

KalTorak on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I thought Wheaton was pretty good, but he definitely brought the best out of Scott during that game.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited February 2011
    Maybe now I can forgive myself...

Adus on
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It was a successful mission! we only lost the redshirt.

Antimatter on
  • TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    That's how I feel. Wheaton is a stuckup jackass who's famous for once being obscurely-famous or at least that's how he comes across. Kurtz is a really nice, humble dude who wears his heart on his sleeve and it's great to see Kurtz bust Wheaton down a few pegs at regular intervals with some goodhearted ribbing.

I would have liked the Darksun stuff better if there were more meat to the story. They never really explained what the hell was going on.

I'd love to play some Darksun sometime. The first ever role-playing experience I had was through a MUD called Armageddon that I am sure is based on Darksun or shares inspiration from a common source.

TankHammer on
  • Roger WilcoRoger Wilco Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    TankHammer wrote: »
    That's how I feel. Wheaton is a stuckup jackass who's famous for once being obscurely-famous or at least that's how he comes across. Kurtz is a really nice, humble dude who wears his heart on his sleeve and it's great to see Kurtz bust Wheaton down a few pegs at regular intervals with some goodhearted ribbing.

I would have liked the Darksun stuff better if there were more meat to the story. They never really explained what the hell was going on.

I'd love to play some Darksun sometime. The first ever role-playing experience I had was through a MUD called Armageddon that I am sure is based on Darksun or shares inspiration from a common source.

I didn't watch the clip so I don't know how he acted there, but generally I wouldn't say that was a good description of him. He's a pretty nice guy, and not a jackass.

Roger Wilco on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wheaton has Stand By Me and his reviews of his own appearances on Star Trek on his resume as true contributions to our culture.

Beyond that I have no real opinion on him.

Gaslight on
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure Wheaton's done some good stuff. I'm just saying, in the D&D sessions, next to Kurtz, Mike, and Jerry, his jokes sound forced and desperate.

KalTorak on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    @Tank: Yeah, I don't know where you get this impression of Wheaton; he seems like a pretty stand up guy.

@Kal: To be fair, he's on a stage with Mike, Jerry, and Scott.

That's a tough group to keep up with joke-wise.

Though like I said, I thought he was pretty good up there.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I have no opinion on Wil Wheaton as a person because I have never met him let alone spent extended periods of time talking to him

but he is not very entertaining to listen to

Speed Racer on
  • I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Man Wheaton is excellent in this. He's not the funniest personally, but he's plays Al to their Jon McClain pretty well I think. The jokes Kurtz got off of him alone were enough, but add in the rest of them...

I also liked his "I'm not confusing player knowledge with character knowledge raawwrrr" joke

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Brovid HasselsmofBrovid Hasselsmof [Growling historic on the fury road] Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I found him a bit annoying in that video. Stop standing up and shouting and screaming, you are acting like a ten year old. But I am not surprised that an actor likes to act up and get attention.

Brovid Hasselsmof on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You know who I want to see play some D&D?
    Nathan Fillion

BoomShake on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2011
    I would be very wary before insulting the friends of this website without good reason.

Tube on
    edited February 2011
    I'm sure he's fine in small groups. It's just that whenever I see him with an audience he starts grabbing for the spot-light.

I also didn't like how he got indignant at that one guy who simply asked how Wil had contributed to "gamer culture" and Wheaton flew off the hinges at him for the perceived insult.
    I am indifferent about Wil Wheaton the person and suspect I'd like him just fine if I met him personally but Wil Wheaton the celebrity is more than a little bit obnoxious.

Maybe it's because I was never more than an occasional, passing fan of Star Trek.

TankHammer on
    edited February 2011
    I would be very wary before insulting the friends of this website without good reason.

I don't think anyone is really insulting him, or saying anything without reason. I think most people are just saying he's kinda annoying in that video and well it's true. He could be my best friend and I'd say the same thing.

Adus on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »

I don't think anyone is really insulting him, or saying anything without reason. I think most people are just saying he's kinda annoying in that video and well it's true. He could be my best friend and I'd say the same thing.
    "Wheaton is a stuckup jackass who's famous for once being obscurely-famous" is definitely insulting

The only experience I have with Wil Wheaton is I think he came up to a booth at SDCC I was helping run and shot the shit with one of the guys there who I guess he knew, and I didn't realize it was him until he left and someone else mentioned it. He was pleasant during this exchange. The End

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I don't think Wheaton acts much different from the way 99% of us would act on that same stage. He's got some experience with fame, but being up there with G&T and Kurtz creates certain expectations of comedy. Their jokes have an effortless, off-hand quality to them, plus they hang out together all the time. The pressure to keep up with the comedy and the fact that you're (relatively) the new guy adds a lot of tension, which makes it that much harder to do off-hand comedy the way the others do.

KalTorak on
  • JishianJishian ◥▶◀◤ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wil is pretty entertaining, but in the pax game his turns were taking forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver. Also the Mr. Stinky bit and screaming everytime someone mentioned acid went on just a little too long.

Also the Dark Sun game felt really short because I think they were doing a preview adventure they got ahead of time. Would like to see/hear more of that!

Jishian on
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ugh, tried to get youtube to load up several parts of the game at once, so I could start watching in a relatively uninterrupted fashion.

Flash promptly crashed, erasing all 8 parts that had loaded.

Rageface.

Fyndir on
  • Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I tried to come up with a pun for a Wil Wheaton gang but all I came up with was Wheat Thins

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • FyndirFyndir Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I tried to come up with a pun for a Wil Wheaton gang but all I came up with was Wheat Thins

Hello

Fyndir on
  • PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Vin Diesel

or
    BoomShake wrote: »
    Soulja Boy

Peccavi on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jesus H. Christ no to the second one. First could be humorous.

BoomShake on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How could the second one not be humorous?

I mean really

Houk the Namebringer on
  • FramlingFramling FaceHead Geebs has bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jordyn and I chatted with Wil Wheaton once really briefly. It was at Emerald City, and we were sitting on the floor, leaning against the wall across from the PA booth, and Mr. Khoo had come over and was sitting next to us. It was the end of the day, so everyone was being tired. Mr. Wheaton came over to talk to Mr. Khoo, and I mentioned that I had seen him on an episode of Numb3rs.

Mr. Wheaton: [weirdly incredulous, as though he had never appeared on Numb3rs in his life] You did not!

Me: Yeah I did. You were playing an evil comic book collector who was trying to sell a forged copy of "Ultra-World #1."

Mr. Wheaton: Okay, maybe you did.

[END SCENE]

Framling on
    you're = you are
    your = belonging to you

their = belonging to them
    there = not here
    they're = they are
    edited February 2011
    Or he figured nobody had actually watched the episode

Houk the Namebringer on
  • John MatrixJohn Matrix Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jishian wrote: »
    Wil is pretty entertaining, but in the pax game his turns were taking forevvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvver. Also the Mr. Stinky bit and screaming everytime someone mentioned acid went on just a little too long.

Also the Dark Sun game felt really short because I think they were doing a preview adventure they got ahead of time. Would like to see/hear more of that!

Wil screaming at the acid is really the only thing that interferes with my enjoyment of that. It's not the shouting per se, it's just that I frequently listen through headphones and it's so much louder than the rest of the action that I'm either scared out of my wits or temporarily deafened.

I think Wil reads these boards, I've never met the man, but he seems like a nice guy. That's a very strange thing to write given that I've never met him in person. I suppose that reading his blog and watching him act candidly in PA stuff leads me to believe that. He's pretty great with his step-kids, to the point where I really don't think he considers them to be his step-kids, just his children. I think he's a little socially awkward like many people on these forums, so I certainly won't be the one to cast the first stone.

In my book he's good people, I hope to meet him one day and buy him a pint of Guinness.

[edit] Listen to him read some of his stories on YouTube. To me, he can tell a good story and narrates them wonderfully.

John Matrix on
    edited February 2011
    I'm too harsh on Wil Wheaton.

I occasionally listen to the nerdist podcast with Chris Hardwick who is a long-time friend and former roommate of Wil and Wil was a guest on one of the most-recent episodes. It's one of the the first times I've heard him have a real sense of humor about himself.

He did admit to being an angsty teenager and had an interesting story about his last season on Star Trek and how they kinda dicked him over.

So if you're reading this Wil, sorry for calling you a jackass.

TankHammer on
  • IoloIolo iolo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    How'd they dick him over?

Iolo on
    Lt. Iolo's First Day
    Steam profile.
    Getting started with BATTLETECH: Part 1 / Part 2
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Iolo wrote: »
    How'd they dick him over?

They busted him down from lieutenant so fast

EDIT: He had an opportunity to be in a movie, and to allegedly prevent him from doing it they wrote him into a TNG episode that was shooting on the same day, only to write him out of it immediately before the shoot.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wil Wheaton seems alright. I guess sometimes takes his nerdiness a bit too seriously? But I dunno, I don't know enough about the guy.

Moriveth on
This discussion has been closed.