As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The New Comic Thread for Friday, February 25, 2011

duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs?Registered User regular
edited February 2011 in Social Entropy++
1197655125_PHo2H-L.jpg

durax on

• FrankoFranko Sometimes I really wish I had four feet so I could dance with myself to the drumbeat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zombies eh

Franko on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This

is wonderful

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Are smurf comics relevant nowadays?

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • SeriouslySeriously Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well of course they are

I mean lookit

Seriously on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    huh.

Clint Eastwood on
  • duraxdurax Who watches the watchdogs? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Campion wrote: »
    Are smurf comics relevant nowadays?

There's a Smurfs movie coming out soon.

durax on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, there's gotta be something more relevant than that. Nobody cares about a smurf movie.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Duke PhillipsDuke Phillips Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First thing I thought about was those pictures of before/after heroin addicts.

Duke Phillips on
    PSN/Origin: Grizz359
    Steam: Grizz
    3DS: 4038-6012-7259
    T4CT wrote: »
    everyone deserves space vaginas for christmas
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's

not bad, I guess.

I wonder if they were just sitting on this one for a while, it seems just a little different than a usual PA strip, I dunno.

Less clever, I guess?

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • CoinageCoinage Heaviside LayerRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I don't....think I get it.

Coinage on
  • DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

exactly what I thought

I mean

it did mention Smurfberries, a known narcotic

Doobh on
    Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    addictfacesofmethL.jpg

Just for the people who don't get it.

edit: Also my favorite is bottom row 3 in, apparently meth regrows hair.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Smurfberries, not even once.

Nocturne on
  • AdusAdus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow uh..

okay

Adus on
  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I need the newspost for this.

Wait, it's about that Smurf game for the iPhone isn't it?

DarkPrimus on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh my dear lord this is glorious

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Peter EbelPeter Ebel CopenhagenRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's about the smurf game, marketed at the kids, that has the micropayments.

I think that is what this comic is about.

Peter Ebel on
    Fuck off and die.
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    oh, right! the little girl that spent $10,000 on in game smurfberries or something like that on a smurfs iphone game

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2011
    Now that sounds like a story.

Adus on
    edited February 2011
    PikaPuff wrote: »
    oh, right! the little girl that spent $10,000 on in game smurfberries or something like that on a smurfs iphone game
    $1400, but ok, this makes more sense now. I have to wonder how much she knew what she was doing, she did need to get the password. But of course bitter old people need to flip a shit about decadence first.

Coinage on
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    blue smurf, girl smurf, nerd smurf and old smurf right

Meissnerd on
    edited February 2011
    Seriously though, why are actual monetary purchases present in a game basically for toddlers? That's kind of idiotic.

Adus on
  • MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I always liked the French word for Smurf.

Stroumph. You say it like, Strrrrr-ooh-mmm-fff.

Meiz on
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Seriously though, why are actual monetary purchases present in a game basically for toddlers? That's kind of idiotic.
    Because apparently it works? This girl got the charges reversed by Apple because it was so high, but I have to imagine they aren't always so generous when someone buys the $99 wheelbarrow of berries. And we adult gamers were going crazy over the $2.50 horse in Oblivion!

Coinage on
    edited February 2011
    #1 Adus, your av sig combo is glorious and makes me hate myself for not seeing that movie in theaters, so clever.

#2 The point of the purchases was for a little boy or girl to see a button that would make all his or her smurfs extra happy if it was pushed.

Hmm, I was trying to find that comic where you swipe a credit card for extra damage but dishes are calling so this will do instead.

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

RoyceSraphim on
  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    #1 Adus, your av sig combo is glorious and makes me hate myself for not seeing that movie in theaters, so clever.

#2 The point of the purchases was for a little boy or girl to see a button that would make all his or her smurfs extra happy if it was pushed.

Hmm, I was trying to find that comic where you swipe a credit card for extra damage but dishes are calling so this will do instead.

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

I think you mean this one
    215525059_v6MX2-L-2.jpg

In Denmark Smurfs are known as Smølfer.

Peewi on
    edited February 2011
    Coinage wrote: »
    $1400, but ok, this makes more sense now. I have to wonder how much she knew what she was doing, she did need to get the password. But of course bitter old people need to flip a shit about decadence first.

Didn't strike me as an article about decadence, more like an article about people being fucking retarded. I mean seriously, if my progeny or anyone else progeny were to play with touch computer of any kind, it would be in airplane mode the entire time.

What's next?
    "My daughter send all the pictures of me grinding in the club and "fellatiating" other women to all my contacts after I let her play with my iPhone, I demand compensation!"

RoyceSraphim on
  • Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    what is this I don't even

Maz- on
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 One of the multitude of Dans infesting this place Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dubh wrote: »

exactly what I thought

I mean

it did mention Smurfberries, a known narcotic

I thought it was for a meth comparison.

Caulk Bite 6 on
    jnij103vqi2i.png
  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Meiz wrote: »
    I always liked the actual word for Smurf.

Stroumph. You say it like, Strrrrr-ooh-mmm-fff.

FTFY

halkun on
  • ffaristocratffaristocrat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Face of Meth, people. I am disappoint.

There are a couple issues with the Smurfs game:
    1. It's marketed as a kids game and not every parent is aware that you can drop $99 at a time inside the game fo stuff.

2. But hey, you need to enter your itunes password right? Well, not if it's been entered in the past 15 minutes... or the past few hours for one guy who was aware of the in app purchase and the 15 window and waited for it to expire but his kid was still able to drop a few hundred dollars.

ffaristocrat on
  • jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Time for another C&D?

jackal on
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If a parent doesn't research and know every facet of a toy/game/whatever they let their kid experience, it's their own god damn fault. We have the internet now; it requires just slightly above no effort.

BoomShake on
  • GyralGyral Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jackal wrote: »
    Time for another C&D?

Yeah I was thinking the same thing. Would NOT be surprised if we get another Strawberry Shortcake incident out of this. So, download your copy now, folks!

Gyral on
    25t9pjnmqicf.jpg
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Adus wrote: »
    Because apparently it works? This girl got the charges reversed by Apple because it was so high, but I have to imagine they aren't always so generous when someone buys the $99 wheelbarrow of berries. And we adult gamers were going crazy over the $2.50 horse in Oblivion!

Yeah, it's operating as designed.

From the screenshots I saw, it's pretty upfront about charging you. Love how it's not the parent's fault she's stupid.

MichaelLC on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Peewi wrote: »

215530391_oLuDB-L-2.jpg

I think you mean this one
    215525059_v6MX2-L-2.jpg

In Denmark Smurfs are known as Smølfer.
    I like it in German.
    Die Schluempfe

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    smurf%20party%201.jpg

smurfraves are a gateway into the smurflifestyle

Brolo on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    that picture disturbs me

Langly on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

If you enter in your password into the App Store on a device, you don't have to re-enter it for another 15 minutes. (ostensibly so that if you were buying a bunch of apps at once its more convenient than having to key in your password every time.)

however, it also covers in-app purchases, so Mom or Dad would buy the game for little Johnny, hand the iPad off to'em to play with, and, if I were to guess, Capcom makes that in-app purchase screen really goddamn easy to access, if not the first thing you see, so they don't get prompted for the password.

Abracadaniel on
This discussion has been closed.