As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Recent Paintings and Drawings (NSFW)

DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys, it's been a little while since I've posted anything. I've been spending a lot of time doing work and going to school and I'm really starting to strike a chord with my artwork.

I hope you like it, please let me know if there's anything I need to work on or if you want to see more because this is just a small sample of what I've been up to.

chinesevasewithpersimmonsweb.jpg
Chinese Vase with Persimmons
Oil on Canvas
9" x 12"

quickstudies1-1.jpg
20 Minute Studies
Oil on Canvas
8" x 10"

bullwithsalsaweb.jpg
Bull with Salsa
Oil on Canvas
20" x 16"

skullandcherryblossomsweb.jpg
Skull and Cherry Blossoms
Oil on Canvas
16" x 20"

calliefeb11web.jpg
Portrait of Callie
Oil on Canvas
9" x 12"

cabaret.jpg
Cabaret
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

headsandhands1.jpg
Female Portrait 1
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

headsandhands2.jpg
Female Portrait 2
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

standingmalenude.jpg
Standing Male Nude
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

seatedmalenude2.jpg
Sleeping Nude
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

seatedmalenude.jpg
Seated Male Nude
Charcoal on Newsprint
18" x 24"

floursacks.jpg
Flour Sacks

DeeLock on

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Forgot something!

This is what I'm working on right now. It's a master-copy after Jacob Collins "Candace".

candacewip2.jpg
    Candace
    Oil on canvas
    18" x 24"

I'd love feedback on this one specifically as it's something I'm currently working on. Thanks guys!

DeeLock on
  • Options
    ShizumaruShizumaru Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nice studies. The study of collins isn't showing up in photobucket, probably cause its a nude painting. Where are you studying?

Shizumaru on
  • Options
    shifty_ukshifty_uk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Excellent still life's!

I'm rather envious of your skills with oils!

shifty_uk on
  • Options
    DirtyDirtyVagrantDirtyDirtyVagrant Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wow, this is great stuff. There are only two things I see that don't seem quite right. The first is the final life drawing, of the man in the chair. There is something pretty off about his shoulder but I'm not sure what it is. Maybe someone can help with that.

Also the lance stabbing through the flour sack there seems to enter and exit at different heights.

e: Yeah, the lack of any real hard shadows might be it.

DirtyDirtyVagrant on
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    really nice stuff, dee! I especially like the force stuff with little pillow characters.

one thing I'm seeing is that you don't have a lot of hard-edged shadows in your figure work

Tam on
  • Options
    saltinesssaltiness Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm really into the way you rendered the lighting on that skull.

saltiness on
    XBL: heavenkils
  • Options
    ninjaininjai Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The bull with salsa was especially well done.

ninjai on
  • Options
    NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I know I should like the oils and stuff best, and they are GREAT but the flour sacks are so much fun!!! Lol. Nice stuff bro. I have so much respect for people who do oils.

NakedZergling on
  • Options
    PhthanoPhthano Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Those are some damn fine flour sacks.

Moar.

Phthano on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Wow thanks guys! I appreciate the feedback and am going to try to focus on working on sharpening up the figure drawings and checking my proportions.

Here's my Intermediate Figure Drawing final from last semester.

intermediatefigurefinalweb.jpg
    Charcoal on Paper
    42" x 68"

And here's a photo of it compared to about half of the class's finals.

intermediatefigurefinals.jpg

We were supposed to use a reference photo which we took ourselves of models we had in class and create a drawing that was twice the size of our regular 18" x 24" sized paper. I was one of the only people to actually draw the full figure and the only one to work in the scale I did. I had a lot of fun with it and really want to do another just like it.

edit: Uploaded new photo in second post.

DeeLock on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Honestly I don't think proportions are your issue right now. Your edges are. These drawings and paintings are a huge leap forward for you, but they still feel rushed to me. I don't know how much time they give you, so maybe you need to take some studying into your own hands. But more careful observation of your edges and shapes in general will go a long ways towards really making these drawings shine.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Oh, you go to AAU. I knew I recognized that wall.

saltiness on
  • Options
    rtsrts Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If that is the Academy of Art in San Francisco you should get into Glen Orbik's class if he still teaches one there.

rts on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Cakemikz: I have had some great teachers so far like Henry Yan, Zimou Tan and Thomas Gronbukt. I think that Glen Orbik is still teaching here and I'll look for him for sure.

Thanks for the critique Ryan, most of these...actually all of them are 20 minute poses. It is a bit of a mad dash to the finish but I do think I could slow down a little and analyze the edges more. Are there any areas that stand out to you specifically that need more clarification? Any areas that I should focus on while drawing?

Saltiness: there's a bunch of us in this forum that go there actually. Me and 1900 are there right now and Mars has gone there too. Did you graduate from here?

DeeLock on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    I graduated a year-and-a-half ago. I took a year of classes in the illustration department but switched to photography and finished my BFA in that.

saltiness on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Portrait of a friend of mine and a Plein Air painting from today.

desiree-and-cypress-trees.jpg

DeeLock on