As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

192.168.2.1 won't show router info?

2»

• Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I've had a similar problem with my belkin router. Have you tried connecting directly to the router (as in, not wireless) yet? If so, have you tried connecting directly using the computer that you used to configure the router when you first got it?

naengwen on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Caswynben wrote: »
    Since you are using WEP, is it completely outside the realm of possibility that someone fucked with your router?

Well, I guess it's possible, but not very probable. I don't even know how you'd do something like this... disable the router software.
    naengwen wrote: »
    I've had a similar problem with my belkin router. Have you tried connecting directly to the router (as in, not wireless) yet? If so, have you tried connecting directly using the computer that you used to configure the router when you first got it?

Yeah, I've tried connecting with the PC I configured it with. Looks like I may be fucked.

My dad is happy, however, because he can get online. Ironic that he was pissed when it was working, and now he's happy when a real error has occurred.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, I would say it's possible that someone hacked in and changed the router address, but if it's still showing it as the default gateway, that's not it.

My guess would just be that the firmware got corrupted somehow. I don't know whether you could reflash it or not, might as well look into it. Or just buy another router.

On a side note, WPA is way WAY more secure than WEP. Even on the highest encryption, WEP can be broken in a matter of minutes. Probably best to just go ahead and use WPA, even if you have nothing important worth stealing.

Actually, something else I thought of - check on the manufacturer's website and see if there are different pages in the router you can access. I know that some routers have a user friendly kind of setup section, then another more technical management section. If you're just going to the straight IP address, it might just not be re-directing you to the proper internal page. Find out the exact address and enter it directly.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    VoroVoro Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    urahonky wrote: »
    Oh okay... Yeah, that's odd. The software might be corrupted? I've not heard that before.

Belkin sucks by the way. :(

Yeah it does. Sigh, what a shitty way to wake up.

I was asleep, when my father burst into my room, screaming about how I changed his password. I hadn't done a thing to the router, so I asked him what the problem was. His laptop couldn't connect to the internet, and after examining it, it seems he'd somehow reset his connection profile so his WEP key wasn't entered. I entered it for him, and he said that the password I used was different. I entered password Y, and he was saying it was password X. I looked for a bit, and it turns out his password Y was the admin password for the router, not the WEP key.

After arguing with him for 30 minutes, I finally told him I'd show him all the router activity, and went to view the log (my router logs all activity, including password changes) and in the middle of viewing the log, after clicking "next page" the software stopped responding. And every time I'd try to do something, I'd get that 404 error, like I was accessing a website which didn't exist.

Which, of course, is making him claim again that I DID change settings. Ugh... someone help me out here, because he won't stop bitching until I can prove my innocence.

See, I look at the bolded bits and I'm going to go out on a limb and say he might just have a key logger on his PC. I wouldn't enter any sensitive data into that thing.

Voro on
    XBL GamerTag: Comrade Nexus
  • Options
    naengwennaengwen Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Hmm, sorry if you've answered this already TSR, but do you happen to know the model or model number of your router? (like, the wireless G router is F5D7230-4)

naengwen on
  • Options
    bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited May 2007
    Does belkin's firmware upgrade require you to login to the router to initialize it? Some are client side that just execute from your computer once you give it the admin user/pass. Maybe try that if that's how theirs works?

bombardier on
  • Options
    TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well... odd. The router software just started working again, for no reason.

I think I might start using WPA, in fact. Thanks to everyone who helped out... this was odd.

TheSonicRetard on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Wipe your dad's computer, change the password to the router... just make sure it doesn't happen again. :)

urahonky on
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Seriously, this actually happaned to me the other day. It just started working again randomly. I think my wireless software for my laptop screwed something up (it happaned when I was trying to enter the WEP key).

rayofash on
  • Options
    AntishowAntishow Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Well... odd. The router software just started working again, for no reason..

hacker3.JPG

Antishow on
  • Options
    PailryderPailryder Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    it could be something as stupid as the router security log getting too full, but you said you did a hard reset so its doubtful. Does your router have a non-wireless port you can plug into to mess around with things? Also i may have missed it but did you say it was asking for your password and then giving the 404 or do you even get to the password prompt?

Pailryder on
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Antishow wrote: »

hacker3.JPG

Wow. Angelina Jolie looks terrible in that picture.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    JWFokker wrote: »
    Antishow wrote: »

hacker3.JPG

Wow. Angelina Jolie looks terrible in everything.

Fixed that for truth. :D

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    You're getting a 404, so you're still connecting.

Is there any argument against just resetting the thing and be done with it?

I don't think anyone is listening to me. I AM hard resetting. No effect.

I'm litterally stumped. It's like my router software has just stopped working... can that happen?
    Yes. It happened to my WRT54g once, where the device still functioned but there was no way to configure it because for whatever reason the webserver stopped working.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    sponospono Mining for Nose Diamonds Booger CoveRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Is there a way to reset the username and password on a router? Not the wireless access password, but for the router itself, to assign ports and whatnot.

spono on
    640qocnq4ske.gif
  • Options
    JWFokkerJWFokker Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

So I herd you like men.

JWFokker on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

So I herd you like men.

And your point is? I still find women attractive too. I just find Angelina Jolie to be absolutely repulsive to look at.

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2007
    It could have been that it got surged, and the capacitors finally drained out enough to resume normal operation.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    YarYar Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    1.) Jolie is hot, even in Hackers.

2.) Accessing the wireless admin page can be touch-and-go if you're accessing it wirelessly. Some routers require you to explicitly allow wireless connections to hit the admin page.

3.) Do the super-duper emergency reset routine where you are required to re-IP your PC and wire it in and upload a new firmware.

Yar on
  • Options
    ErrorError Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    Even though it seems he's fixed his problem, or at least it stopped being a problem, there is another possible solution. Certain DSL modems are now shipping that have their own address, they act like mini routers to avoid having to input passwords etc into your router. My buddy had a similar problem, he accidentally changed the default address to 192.168.2.1 and suddenly could not access his router. When his modem was turned off he could access the router. So he changed the default on the router back to its proper 1.1, turned the modem back on and then typed in 2.1 again, only to find he had caused a conflict with his modem and router when he changed the address to 2.1

Error on
  • Options
    scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited May 2007

So I herd you like men.

And your point is? I still find women attractive too. I just find Angelina Jolie to be absolutely repulsive to look at.

the cat fish lips don't do it for me either.
    It could have been that it got surged, and the capacitors finally drained out enough to resume normal operation.
    wouldn't that knock out the internet also? it was just the software refusing access... very strange problem.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • Options
    rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    spono wrote: »
    Is there a way to reset the username and password on a router? Not the wireless access password, but for the router itself, to assign ports and whatnot.

Reset the router. Turn it off for about 5 to 10 minutes.

rayofash on