As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gemini Rue : Possible awesome PC adventure game slipping through the radar.

azith28azith28 Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in Games and Technology
I noticed on gamerankings this game has a 9.5 score (Granted, only two reviews so far), and figured its rare enough we get some pc adventure games that it was worth asking here about.

Heres one review:
http://www.adventureclassicgaming.com/index.php/site/reviews/634/

More info please.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
azith28 on

• ClevingerClevinger Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's an old school PC adventure game set in a dystopian, cyber-punk setting. The art style looks really good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=foZp9ToBewA

Gemini Rue, a dark, sci-fi adventure game that won the Student Showcase award at 2010′s IGF

Plot:

Azriel Odin, ex-assassin, arrives on the rain-drenched planet of Barracus to find someone. When things go horribly wrong, he can only seek help from the very criminals he used to work for.

Meanwhile, across the galaxy, a man called Delta-Six wakes up in a hospital with no memory. Without knowing where to turn or who to trust, he vows to escape before he loses his identity completely.

As fate brings these two men closer together, we discover a world where life is cheap, identities are bought and sold, and a simple quest for redemption can change the fate of a whole galaxy.

Features:

* Over 60 hand-drawn backgrounds
    * A moody, film noir atmosphere
    * Control both Azriel and Delta-Six
    * An innovative investigation system
    * A gripping sci-fi mystery
    * DVD-style commentary track

There's a demo here, and that's also where you buy it. It's out now. I think I'll probably get it. Only thing that doesn't look too hot is the voice acting, but I can't expect too much from an indie effort in that regard.

Clevinger on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to buy it this weekend. If you haven't checked out the other Wadjet Eye games (Blackwell, The Shivah), I recommend doing so. They're all pretty great.

But yeah, the voice acting is shaky; they reuse the same people a lot, and they clearly aren't professionals. But they work fine with text only, so it doesn't matter too much.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Downloading the demo now.

Saw it on RPS earlier and wanted to give it a go.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Been wondering after this one ever since I heard it mentioned on the PC Gamer podcast.

Tried the demo and really liked it.

Switched off the voiceover straight away, but I really liked it. Like literally 5 seconds in I thought "No, that's just going to detract from the game", restarted, and turned it off.

Might replay the demo with the voice on to see whether it's as bad as it seems in the opening seconds of the game, but really, the text does the job more than well enough with a game of this style.

So yeah, definitely interested in buying this.

subedii on
    edited February 2011
    Finished the demo and damn has it got some atmosphere.

Turned the voice off but I honestly think it would work better without them even if they were professional VAs, just don't think it meshes well with the retro visuals (which are still gorgeous anyway).

Definitely going to pick the full version up.

Also I now want recommendations for other noir adventure games.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
    edited February 2011
    Yeah considering the visual style, the text speech is fitting.

I do actually like the fact that they didn't go the LucasArts route of making the protagonist effectively unkillable. It wouldn't work for a more serious game like this.

I just wish there were a way to bind hotkeys for the four commands. Minor niggle, but it would beat having to bring up that box every time.

EDIT: One last thing about it though: Does anyone know whether the full game comes with DRM?

I doubt it since it's a self-published indie title, but it's just as well to ask.

EDIT 2: According to the GOG.com forums, their other games haven't used DRM, so I doubt this one does either. Good enough for me.

subedii on
    edited February 2011
    Well, bought the game and it's DRM free.

Will probably post some thoughts on it later, but the demo was definitely a good enough start to get me interested.

subedii on
    edited February 2011
    I bought it and it's really good so far. Good music, great art; they really set a great atmosphere.

For anyone who tries this, though: turn off the voices before you start the game.

Clevinger on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The demo was great, I'll be buying the full version soon.

JohnDoe on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Loved the demo, great atmosphere (Lab somehow gave me flashbacks to 1213.)

I will definitely buy this one, just hope it hits Steam soon (if it doesn't it'll have to be the old fashioned way.)

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited February 2011
    Drovek wrote: »
    Loved the demo, great atmosphere (Lab somehow gave me flashbacks to 1213.)

I will definitely buy this one, just hope it hits Steam soon (if it doesn't it'll have to be the old fashioned way.)

No need to wait for a Steam release, it's DRM free, just buy it from the devs. They get more money that way anyway.

Played some more and you know, I can't remember the last time an adventure game had me engrossed like this. Of course, it's been a long time since I've played an adventure game that wasn't a comedy.

The retro visuals do help a lot in that regard, it's something they mentioned on the PC Gamer podcast as well. Once you get to the point of abstracted visuals, it's the imagination that does all the work and makes things like conversations work. It's why a game like this can neatly sidestep the problems of the uncanny valley.

Before loading up Gemini Rue tonight I was playing The Witcher for a bit. Technically it has better production values, visuals, voice acting. But when you get into a conversation in the Witcher it's harder to be drawn in because of all the things that obviously don't mesh like in a real conversation. The lack of any emotion on character's faces. The odd tones that people sometimes take, and the generally broken flow of conversation.

In a (new) old adventure game like this you don't have those problems, or with how there's only a limited set of total character animations. It's all indie, but that's why the decision to go low-fi with the graphics helps them so much. They only really need abstractions to tell their story, and that's what works best in place of high production value scenes. And in some ways, it probably works better, because we still haven't managed to leave the uncanny valley yet.

subedii on
    edited February 2011
    Wow, I suck at adventure games now, I guess. About 15 or 20 minutes in and I'm stuck.

I'm at the apartment trying to meet up with the guy. I found out his apartment number, but I can't get in. Lockpicks won't work and he says, "I should find another way in." Tried the window to the right with all the items I had, no dice, and have no idea how to proceed. I just know the answer is staring me in the face.

Clevinger on
    edited February 2011
    Clevinger wrote: »
    Wow, I suck at adventure games now, I guess. About 15 or 20 minutes in and I'm stuck.

I'm at the apartment trying to meet up with the guy. I found out his apartment number, but I can't get in. Lockpicks won't work and he says, "I should find another way in." Tried the window to the right with all the items I had, no dice, and have no idea how to proceed. I just know the answer is staring me in the face.
    There are other locks to try...

mere_immortal on
  • StollsStolls Brave Corporate Logo Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tempted to buy this sight unseen just from the description, but I'm giving the demo a whirl post-haste. Been a while since I've gotten into an adventure game, think the last was either Overclocked or Reactor 09; both good, by the way.

Anyhow, let's check this thing out.

Stolls on
    kstolls on Twitch, streaming weekends at 9pm CST!
    Now playing: Teardown and Baldur's Gate 3 (co-op)
    Sunday Spotlight: Horror Tales: The Wine
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Downloading the game now. I didn't even have to play the demo, the trailer has sold me on this game. I can't wait to try it out!

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
    edited February 2011

Damn, I feel like an idiot.

Clevinger on
    edited February 2011

Damn, I feel like an idiot.

Heh, took me a few mins to get back into the point and click adventure mindset when I was playing the demo too.

mere_immortal on
    edited February 2011
    Been playing it for about an hour. Very good so far - I love the art style and setting, reminds me a little of Bloodnet.

JohnDoe on
    edited February 2011
    The story just took a most awesome turn.

I've upgraded my initial "very good" to "Every adventure gamer must buy this".

JohnDoe on
    edited February 2011
    Holy shit you can actually search a database for background information and history, like the ME codex but interactive.

I'm, like, five minutes into the demo and it's already hitting the right notes with me.

Edit: Oh yeah. Oh hell yeah, I gotta buy this.

Stolls on
  • VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wowzers.

Beat the game. This a doozy.

Seriously. If you're reading this right now I have a few questions.

Do you like adventure games? Do you like noir as a concept? Do you like exploring the headier aspects of humanity through a variety of engaging medias? Do you like fun?

If the answer to any of those is yes, holy fucking shit get this game.

Verr on
  • EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This looks interesting. Protagonist's name's pretty lol

EVOL on
  • MindLibMindLib Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks great, steam I assume?

MindLib on
  • ArcticLancerArcticLancer Best served chilled. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It MAY hit steam in time. Emerald City Confidential is on there, but I think that's the only game of theirs up there.

Anyone know if this will run on a Mac? I have severe doubt, but as it's all I have access to I figured I'd ask.

ArcticLancer on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Puzzle Bots is on there as well, but those are the only ones. I would not assume it hits Steam.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
    edited February 2011
    Seriously, you don't HAVE to wait for a game to appear on Steam, you can get it right off the author's website.

That also supports them much more since they get a much larger percentage.

subedii on
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    [strike]I'm highly considering purchasing the limited edition CD for this from them[/strike] I just bought the limited edition CD for this from them.

I based this purchase on the first 30 seconds of the youtube trailer on the second post, and downloading but not actually playing the demo. . . <3 adventure <3 cyberpunk <3 indie <3 spending money without really considering my budget.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited February 2011
    [strike]I'm highly considering purchasing the limited edition CD for this from them[/strike] I just bought the limited edition CD for this from them.

I based this purchase on the first 30 seconds of the youtube trailer on the second post, and downloading but not actually playing the demo. . . <3 adventure <3 cyberpunk <3 indie <3 spending money without really considering my budget.

High five, just did the same thing. Seriously, that demo hit a magic combination of great concept, sensible puzzles, awesome music, and nifty features. As soon as I cleared the demo, I knew I had to get this.

Now I gotta go nag other people to buy it too :D

Stolls on
    edited February 2011
    Finished it.

Brilliant game.

MAJOR SPOILERS
    I love how they never actually state that Delta Six is Azriel's brother, or that his storyline is happening at the same time, but you just naturally assume that.

And them bam - They twist the story around. I don't know if the voices would give it away, I played with text only.

JohnDoe on
  • tofutofu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played the demo, some of the writing is suspect but overall good

How long is the entire game? $15 seems a bit steep

tofu on
  • DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    tofu wrote: »
    I played the demo, some of the writing is suspect but overall good

How long is the entire game? $15 seems a bit steep

Same question I have right now.

I don't really care if it's too short, as long as the story/experience is worthwhile.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
    edited February 2011
    Sounds like it's about 6 or 7 hours.

Clevinger on
    edited February 2011
    Anyone notice the Cowboy Bebop reference? :)
    (in Paul's apartment)

Clevinger on
    edited February 2011
    Well, crap. Stuck again...

edit: nevermind. Figured it out.

Clevinger on
    edited March 2011
    Anyone notice the Cowboy Bebop reference? :)
    (in Paul's apartment)

If it's the one I'm thinking of, then I think so. Might've actually triggered it early,
    I was poking around while looking for the lockpick repair gizmo. Got into the apartment building behind the vendor and started poking around and bam it's Ed and Ein what the fuck are you guys doing here

And now apparently I can switch between Azriel and D-6 at will. This game rules.

Stolls on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Azriel Odin?

Bwahahahahahaha!

Still totally interested in this though. Maybe this will scratch the itch I have over my misplaced copy of Blade Runner. I love futuristic noir stuff.

Drake on
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Azriel Odin?

Bwahahahahahaha!

Still totally interested in this though. Maybe this will scratch the itch I have over my misplaced copy of Blade Runner. I love futuristic noir stuff.

I really don't understand that name. The rest of the game is pretty competently written, with some really good parts and some interesting themes. The writer seems much, much better than that name. I have no idea how he thought that was a good idea. If the story was terrible, I could understand. But that's really the only cringeworthy part of the game.

Which is really unfortunate because it's one of the first things people will see about the game and turn people off from buying it.

Clevinger on
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    Azriel Odin?

Bwahahahahahaha!

I laughed too, but the demo seriously won me over. It gives a good taste of the setting and the puzzles. Conversations let you lie to people, there's not just one dialogue option that'll let you proceed. Even if it dead-ends, you usually have other options to get where you need to go. Combat isn't featured in the demo, but they introduce it sensibly in-game and the few actual fights I've had were pretty fun.

And it's just so damn cool. They've got the cyberpunk/noir aesthetic down pat. After a while I stopped caring about the dude's name - or the fact that these are all characters I've more or less seen before - because I just wanted to see more of the game world. Clevinger's got the right of it, apart from the name the writer knows what he's doing.

Stolls on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Oh, don't get me wrong. The testimonials in this thread are almost enough to get me to buy it now, despite the fact that I already dropped more money on Steam today than I honestly should have. I don't even want to try the demo now, because that has been enough in the past to make me throw caution to the wind. Everything I've heard from y'all makes me want this.

Maybe next week.

Drake on
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, having just played the demo, I'm fully on board with this. From what I've played, and the reviews I've been hearing, there aren't really any difficult logic puzzles or anything. And that's perfectly fine with me. It's more like interactive fiction, where you're just cruising along through the story, where the actions aren't there to pad out the game length and make you think "Hmm, how do I get past this". I actually kinda prefer that.

l337CrappyJack on