As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Periodic site slowdowns.

2»

• ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to have an update for you guys early next week!

We have to nail down hosting, but development on our new forums has begun!

Ooh, can't wait to hear the details!

ASimPerson on
  • BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    getting a lot of disconnects here

Brolo on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's been running really slowly for the last couple days. Nothing huge or downtime for more than a couple minutes at a time, but just consistently slow.

joshofalltrades on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's been running really slowly for the last couple days. Nothing huge or downtime for more than a couple minutes at a time, but just consistently slow.

I've experienced the same thing starting yesterday. Sometimes a page won't load (but will on refresh), or not all the images load. Been doing it quite often during the day (but seemed ok this morning and last night).

Tomanta on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's all the people hitting the My Little Pony thread

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • BoomShakeBoomShake The Engineer Columbia, MDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to have an update for you guys early next week!

We have to nail down hosting, but development on our new forums has begun!

Oh man, I'm so excited! Can't wait to get the skinny on the new digs.

BoomShake on
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New forums - cloud hosted, or still running on an old 486 in the back of the PA offices somewhere?

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Main site was down a good 10 minutes, forums about 15.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New forums - cloud hosted, or still running on an old 486 in the back of the PA offices somewhere?

The 486 has a spoiler on it so it goes as fast as a P4.

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I also painted some flames on the heat sink.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Heat sinks on a 386? Preposterous.

MKR on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    With the flames making it so hot, you need a heatsink. Duh.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just got a lot of
    vBulletin Message
    The server is too busy at the moment. Please try again later.

Oddly enough, threads loaded but forums pages did not.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • CasualCasual Wiggle Wiggle Wiggle Flap Flap Flap Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It's taken me almost 10 minutes to make my way from G&T to here making this post. The site is way slow right now.

Casual on
  • JasconiusJasconius sword criminal mad onlineRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Site has been pooping itself for the last hour or so. And by site I mean forums.

Jasconius on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Getting a server too busy in the past couple minutes and slowdown after that

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    The forums have been noticeably slow for me the last couple of days. Nothing super obvious, and initially I thought it was just the new version of Opera, but today especially, it's been taking upwards of 30-45 seconds to even begin to load a page after clicking a thread.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Gear GirlGear Girl More class than a state university Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll just poke my head in and say that I am getting server too busy messages all the time as well.

Gear Girl on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gear Girl wrote: »
    I'll just poke my head in and say that I am getting server too busy messages all the time as well.

Dozens of times a day for me, starting yesterday.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I can't even read the forums its so bad. Usually I'll try for a few minutes then just quit.

Edit: Except for right now, of course. It is pretty flaky. I took me a few minutes of trying just to be able to edit this message.

BlazeFire on
  • art4217art4217 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Gear Girl wrote: »

Dozens of times a day for me, starting yesterday.

Past 3 days for me. Mostly the forums are unusable after 5 minutes if I can sign in at all.

art4217 on
  • JauntyJaunty Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Experiencing the same problems here

Jaunty on
    qcklw92m98s0.png
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've been seeing "server too busy" messages several times a day for the past 5 or so days.

Renzo on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    It all seems to have started with the server crash on Sunday. Khoo posted a tweet saying they'd be down for several hours, and Älphämönkëy said he was vacationing in Canada and the forums would be back soon, but ever since the forums came back online Sunday night, it's been this, with the exception of overnight hours when the server load is lessened just by having few people online.

More distressing is the fact that we have no idea how much longer this is going to go on for. There's been no admin posts on it since Sunday, the staff vacation has seemingly ended, but it seems that either they don't (yet) have the equipment to fix things and are waiting for it, or they're working on a possible fix but don't want to mention it until it's certain. Just guessing, but that's all we've got to go on for now.

SabreMau on
  • Lt. FraggLt. Fragg Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How the hell am I supposed to pass the day at work with all these server busy messages?

I don't want to have to start working or anything...

Lt. Fragg on
    edited March 2011
    I'm guessing the fix is tedious/involves substantial downtime, and they're prepping the new forums anyway, so this one isn't worth the trouble to fix.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure Alpha is on vacation right now, I'm sure he'll get to it when he gets a chance.

Tube on
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Figures.. moment he gets some free time, the server starts to die. :D

Aaaand, the server was busy when I first tried to post this. Hopefully it's not too hard of a fix.

Undead Scottsman on
  • JintorJintor Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Just reportin'n in with the same problem.

Jintor on
  • DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2011
    there's not much point to reporting a known issue
    just sayin'..

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
    edited April 2011
    Alpha asked people to keep posting during the DB error crisis. People probably assumed that carried over to this. It's useful for DB errors since it narrows down the point in the log where it happened, but the cause of this appears to be known.

MKR on
    edited April 2011
    If I had to guess: the last time the "Warning: Memcache::connect() [function.Memcache-connect]: Can't connect to 172.17.17.136:11211, Host is down (64) in [path]/includes/class_datastore.php on line 222" error occurred, Älphämönkëy posted this:
    I found the problem. Somehow our warden server gave two jails the same IP!
    db1# dsh -w web1,web2,web3,web4,web5,web6,web7,web8,web9,db1,db2 jls | grep forums
    web2:      2  172.17.17.133   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web3:      2  172.17.17.134   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web4:      1  172.17.17.135   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web5:      1  172.17.17.132   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web6:      2  172.17.17.137   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web8:      4  172.17.17.136   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com
    web9:      2  172.17.17.133   forums.penny-arcade.com       /usr/jails/forums.penny-arcade.com

Perhaps the issue has recurred, but that problem has been resolved by shutting down the offending jails and so we're operating on fewer servers than normal. Cue overload!

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It doesn't seem so bad now. Still slow, but I haven't seen the 'Busy' message in awhile.

Magus` on
  • SabreMauSabreMau ネトゲしよう 판다리아Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Yeah, that happens nightly when posters go to bed and the ones who remain aren't numerous enough to fill up the server.

SabreMau on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    It should also lighten up for the weekend because many forumers (active or lurkers) come around only when at work.

Henroid on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited April 2011
    Please see the other thread for further information

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=139830

Tube on
This discussion has been closed.