As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Ys Seven - Dogi is a brawler / Chronicles bumping into stores

12346»

• Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    That sounds like solid advice.

My main problem is that I think I'm just too hasty in trying to attack. The bosses all seem pretty fair on normal, they either blink or move prior to attacking, so you normally have a chance to dodge before getting hit.

Ys is a series that doesn't want you to get hasty in attacking unless there's no other option. Felghana especially wants you to memorize patterns. Felghana is also considered the hardest in the series by the majority of fans, so don't feel bad when you die.

Gilder on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Beat Ys 1 for the first time. I missed a lot of side stuff because there's a bunch of ???'s in my notes, but once I beat 2 I might go back with a guide for all the extra stuff.

About the last boss
    There is no fucking way you can dodge his attacks. No way in the world. My eyes could barely comprehend what was even happening on the field. He's going one way, the stars are going another, his shots are going just everywhere, and then every time you hit him you make the field smaller so you see ever MORE stars in the back. It's just a complete sensory overload.

Oh and I have no clue how I missed the Evil Ring, but going back for it sucked a space station full of dicks.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    That sounds like solid advice.

My main problem is that I think I'm just too hasty in trying to attack. The bosses all seem pretty fair on normal, they either blink or move prior to attacking, so you normally have a chance to dodge before getting hit.

My first playthrough of Napishtim was like that, too. There's a giant purple flying boss that took me forever to kill because I was only doing 2-3 damage per hit. Then I realized I hadn't upgraded my weapons. It seems like with the newer Ys games all it takes is a level/weapon up or 2 to really make a difference. In Felghana, though, you'll still really have to memorize patterns, moreso than the others.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I feel like I'm making good progress in Oath. Just reached
    Valestian Castle

The grunt style enemies are beating me up pretty good, but I assume it's because I'm still using sword and armor in the 4th slot. I imagine once I find the stuff for slot number 5 I'll be in much better shape.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I got Chronicles as well. Came for the OST, stayed for the nostalgia. (I must be the only person who bought 1 & 2, Felghana, and not Seven.)

Coming from a 1 & 2 Turbo Duo vet(via Virtual Console), this version is MUCH harder.

You gain levels real fast in the VC version. Like, four out the gate. And everything is in one area. They spread out the world by at least six more screens in Chronicles, and the starting town is now two.

Sara's in the first town in Ys vanilla; now she's in the second, and the mayor for the thief quest is in the third.

The Shrine/Thief Guild area is pretty much the same though.

First boss? Couldn't touch him.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    NitsuaNitsua Gloucester, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Everything is in the same place, they just added an opening town to add more story to the game. Also, I did not buy 7 either, so you aren't really alone there.

One thing I would like to give to newcomers to the original Ys game is this bit of information that is incredibly helpful:
    When starting the game (after leaving the port town), don't go into Minea until you have searched the big pond south of the mine. You find a golden vase that can be sold for enough money to buy the sapphire ring. Give the sapphire ring to the one eyed man in the bar and you get money and EXP. Use that money and buy your armor, shield, and a better sword THEN talk to Sara. Instant level.

Once I figured this out on the SMS game, I no longer spent an hour or more before really being able to play.

Nitsua on
  • Options
    RandomKitRandomKit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The only Ys game I've played is Ys: The Oath in Felghana on PC forever ago.
    I remember enjoying it well enough, are they all kinda similar?

RandomKit on
  • Options
    KainyKainy Pimpin' and righteous Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They're mostly very similar, and basically all awesome.

Kainy on
    IcyLiquid wrote: »
    There's anti-fuckery code in there now :) Sorry :)
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I assume I am closing in on the end parts of Oath in Felghana. I'm getting ready to head to
    Genos Island

Gotta say it, either I'm getting better at the game, or it's becoming easier the more progress I make.

Edit: If I decide to play Ark of Napishtim, how hard is it going to be to find a copy?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    You can get used copies of it for PSP or PS2 off Amazon for not too much, so not that hard.

If you mean tracking down a copy somewhere locally, that might be pretty hard.

Kainy on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The PSP version isn't too hard to find in the wild. The PS2 version on the other hand...

But I say get the PSP version anyway.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    What're the advantages of the PSP version? I've only ever played the PS2 one.

Kainy on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I haven't played either, but I can't imagine playing YS on a big TV. I'd huck a controller at it.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Well, it's got four games on it, may as well get the fifth. :P

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Snagged YS Seven over the weekend after I finished Oath in Felghana.

I'm trying to find Ark of Napishtim, but none of the gamestops in my area have it used (only $5.99) Seems to be much more expensive than that everywhere else.

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Once Ys II clicks, it's the greatest thing.

It's the Eternal Blue of the franchise.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Solomon's temple can pretty much go fuck itself, though.

I've been in this motherfucker for weeks.

Kainy on
  • Options
    astronautcowboy3astronautcowboy3 Registered User regular
    I'm thinking of getting into the Ys series after I finish the game I'm on now, Valkyria Chronicles 2. Might play VC3 before I get to a Ys game, but either way I'm on a JRPG fix and Ys is on my radar.

I'm going to download Ys I & II on my PSP from the Japanese PS Store. Therefore, I'm in a bit of a fix; I have no clue which version I should download.

Does anyone have any advice about whether I should get the PC Engine (Turbo-Grafx 16) version or the Chronicles re-release? Language isn't an issue; I just want to play the best/definitive version. I recently read an extensive review of the series that said the Turbo-Grafx version probably outdoes even the PSP version. Thoughts?

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    PSN: astronautcowboy 3DS: 5343-8146-1833
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Eh, I really like Chronicles. Both are great, but I'd prefer to replay on the psp now.
    Speaking of, it's killing me that our psp broke a while back. Still haven't finished Felghana! :(

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    Well, either way I'd be playing it on my PSP (in Japan the PC Engine version is available on the PS Store a la Virtual Console).

That being the case, do you still prefer Chronicles over the "originals." Considering how often this game is ported and remade, I figured quotes were necessary.

The JRPG Club: Video game reviews, vocabulary lists and other resources for Japanese learners.
    I have Sega, Nintendo and Xbox games and systems for sale. Please help me buy diapers.
  • Options
    I took another peak at the PS Store offerings. Apparently Ys I through Ys IV are all available in TurboGrafx-16 form. I think I'll pick them up at some point. You know, for nostalgia, even though it'll be my first time playing them.

Alright, it's really just for the guitar solos.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That is truly a worthy reason to buy. The rock-out soundtracks are awesome. :^:

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    The price is nice too. 800 yen vs. 2800. :mrgreen: