As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX East 2011 BYOC Info/FAQ - SOLD OUT!

• jugernughtjugernught Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    :) Ok, PAX East 3-day pass has arrived, however the BYOC pass did not arrive with it. If I remember correctly from last year. Both passes arrived in the same box with a Charlie Card. Should I expect to see the BYOC badge show up as a seperate package ?????

jugernught on
  • MagnifiedXMagnifiedX [E] PC Security Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jugernught wrote: »
    :) Ok, PAX East 3-day pass has arrived, however the BYOC pass did not arrive with it. If I remember correctly from last year. Both passes arrived in the same box with a Charlie Card. Should I expect to see the BYOC badge show up as a seperate package ?????

BYOC badge never comes with your 3-day, you pick it up day of outside the BYOC room.

MagnifiedX on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    jugernught wrote: »

You remember Incorrectly!
    MagnifiedX wrote: »

BYOC badge never comes with your 3-day, you pick it up day of outside the BYOC room.

What he said.

Also see the OP of this thread for what you need to bring with you to get the BYOC badge.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods, there's a map and everything! I just have a couple questions, last year getting to the entrance of the BYOC took us past the main con entrance and we were able to easily grab our swag bags and lanyards, is it possible there will be some waiting for us at the SE Lobby B2 entrance this year? Also, will we be able to continue to enter the con through the SE Lobby B2 entrance after Friday morning?

Exodus1 on
    edited February 2011
    Exodus1 wrote: »
    Holy priceless collection of Etruscan snoods, there's a map and everything! I just have a couple questions, last year getting to the entrance of the BYOC took us past the main con entrance and we were able to easily grab our swag bags and lanyards, is it possible there will be some waiting for us at the SE Lobby B2 entrance this year? Also, will we be able to continue to enter the con through the SE Lobby B2 entrance after Friday morning?

Last year I had swag bags and lanyards available in the PC room, you didn't have to get one from the queue room.

Same will be the case this year. Swag bags & programs will be on every BYOC seat, I will have lanyards available when you pick up your BYOC badge.

After Friday you gotta enter via the main entrance with everybody else. That entrance & early checkin only happens on Friday to make it easy for you guys to setup your equipment.
    The SE Lobby B2 entrance should be available on Sunday for easy equipment exit.

BigRed on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Casemod progress: Epic Weaksauce...

2011-02-22%2021.37.51.jpg

2011-02-22%2022.05.24.jpg

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think I know what you're building there.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited February 2011
    Decius wrote: »

I know what hes building there...
    I built one out of bawls caps in 2004 :D lol

BigRed on
    edited February 2011
    ALSO IF THAT IS NOT DONE FOR EAST I AM GOING TO BE HIGHLY DISAPPOINT!

BigRed on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    BigRed wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »

I know what hes building there...
    I built one out of bawls caps in 2004 :D lol

Pics or it didn't happen :P:lol:

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • mSWAEmSWAE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OK, I read all 14 pages of the forum, so if I missed the answer to this, I'm really sorry!

I have a BYOC seat and I'm psyched! I'm bringing my Alienware and my SC2 addiction ;-) Toying with the idea of getting into minecraft just to play the special map I'm reading about...

Here's my question. My husband is coming to PAX. We are only bringing the one computer. I know that for space reasons I can't bring him in with me. My question is, when I am not physically at our computer, may I give him my BYOC badge to go in to use our computer, or is the badge for me only?

Again, apologies if this was already addressed. Quite psyched!

mSWAE on
    edited February 2011
    Mistaken.

MagnifiedX on
  • thorkonthorkon Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hot damn, mod is looking good Geekboy :D

I should have final pictures up with video tomorrow of mine. Waiting on paint to dry right now. wet paint is wet :(

thorkon on
  • whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    mSWAE wrote: »
    OK, I read all 14 pages of the forum, so if I missed the answer to this, I'm really sorry!

I have a BYOC seat and I'm psyched! I'm bringing my Alienware and my SC2 addiction ;-) Toying with the idea of getting into minecraft just to play the special map I'm reading about...

Here's my question. My husband is coming to PAX. We are only bringing the one computer. I know that for space reasons I can't bring him in with me. My question is, when I am not physically at our computer, may I give him my BYOC badge to go in to use our computer, or is the badge for me only?

BigRed wrote:
    Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

"Bring someone with me into BYOC" != "Have someone else use my BYOC badge when I'm not using it"

whypick1 on
    Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
    edited February 2011
    whypick1 wrote: »
    mSWAE wrote: »

BigRed wrote:
    Q: Can I bring *insert friend/Girlfriend/spouse/random person here* in BYOC with me?
    A: No, Sorry. To ensure the security of everyone's personal equipment in a busy area such as PAX, only BYOC attendees are allowed into the BYOC room.

"Bring someone with me into BYOC" != "Have someone else use my BYOC badge when I'm not using it"

My bad, I was really tired when I read that.

MagnifiedX on
  • benswimmingbenswimming PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    A badge is not tied to your name after you get it, you just show it to the BYOC enforcers and they let you in. I see no way they can enforce this, but I am sure it is frowned upon.

benswimming on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omeganaut
    Twitter: sweeneyben
    XBL: Disco Ball
    edited February 2011
    I believe I have answered this question to you via email already, resent in case you didn't get it.

I am just going to say that I am good at remembering faces :P

BigRed on
  • KnolandKnoland Hungry Hungry Hippo VermontRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I believe I have answered this question to you via email already, resent in case you didn't get it.

I am just going to say that I am good at remembering faces :P

I'll wear fake mustaches! OT: Is there somewhere we can park while we bring in our gear?

Knoland on
    PAX EAST 2014: Ticket/Enforcing[x] Hotel [x] Travel [x]
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Has anyone contacted the hotel about mailing computers+monitors there ahead of time? Me and my buddy are taking the PAX train up but flying back Sunday night so we can get to work on Monday. I suppose we could try and carry them on the train and just mail them back, but it would be easier traveling without the extra bulk. Anyone already looked into this and have tips for packing, most economical shipping, or what to put on the label so it's easy to get upon checkin?

flatline on
    East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    edited February 2011
    flatline wrote: »
    Has anyone contacted the hotel about mailing computers+monitors there ahead of time? Me and my buddy are taking the PAX train up but flying back Sunday night so we can get to work on Monday. I suppose we could try and carry them on the train and just mail them back, but it would be easier traveling without the extra bulk. Anyone already looked into this and have tips for packing, most economical shipping, or what to put on the label so it's easy to get upon checkin?

I used to do this all the time when I was traveling around to go to LAN parties.

Just call the hotel and say you are a guest on a specific timeframe and you are shipping a package there. Ship it to the hotel C/O Yourname. As long as they know its coming they will hold it for you.

Fedex is probably your best option for shipping, not the cheapest but your package is more likely to get there in one piece :P

BigRed on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    By the way - do you need any help setting up BigRed? I'll be kicking about the area Thursday and could easily help.

schuss on
    edited February 2011
    Setup is enforcers & Intel staff only, sorry :)
    No worries though, we always get it done*

*With minimal amount of bloodshed

BigRed on
  • schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Setup is enforcers & Intel staff only, sorry :)
    No worries though, we always get it done*

*With minimal amount of bloodshed

Cool, well let me know if things hit the fan, as I've assisted with conference setups before (on mass amounts of computer connections etc.)

schuss on
    edited February 2011
    @Flatline: Make sure you take your graphic card/pcie cards out as I hear alot of stories of them getting loose and banging around inside the pc during shipment. Make sure the hdd is secured well with screws and you should be good.

@Everybody else:
    DSC_0012.jpg

DSC_0026.jpg

Video up tomorrow of the build :)

thorkon on
  • SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OH MY GOD! I <3 white mage so much. Next time I cos-play it will be of the whitemage!!!

*flail*

so awesome

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
    edited February 2011
  • PeasantDavePeasantDave Jersey ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bravo! My mind has been blown. Thanks so much for posting the video!

PeasantDave on
  • itzerokewlitzerokewl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awesome thorkon! Can't wait to see the new system in person!

itzerokewl on
    signature.png
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    huh i thought it'd skip through the video but i ended up watching the whole thing. good job

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited February 2011

thorkon on
  • [H]olyGeekboy[H]olyGeekboy PAX dad and PC builder ClevelandRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    @thorkon - Congratuations on such a stunning case. Especially love the lit orange accents. The Black Mage has a brother in arms now, eh??

I am making progress, but still no guarantees on this being done. Have a steamer trunk to drive it in, but not sure how this is all going to play out in the next 9 days! Here's another update:

DSCI0113.JPG

DSCI0115.JPG

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    edited February 2011
    That is looking really good, going to be awesome when finished by the looks of it.

That better be done for east Holygeekboy or you bring Big Reds wrath on us all!

thorkon on
    edited February 2011
    Quick update:
    If you guys email/PM me seating requests after today I might be a bit slow to reply.

I fly to Boston tomorrow morning and will be without Internet en-route and until I get settled where I'm staying.

BigRed on
  • flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    edited February 2011
    Fingers crossed for another sweet swag bag... though I noticed that nVidia does not have a keynote event scheduled this year.

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
    edited February 2011
    Fingers crossed for another sweet swag bag... though I noticed that nVidia does not have a keynote event scheduled this year.

There wont be. Last years swag at east was a one-off.

BigRed on
    edited February 2011

There wont be. Last years swag at east was a one-off.

Fair enough, it was an incredible surprise. Any swag coming via Intel this year?

[H]olyGeekboy on
    p3HkbcM.png
  • ransimransim Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So... silly question.

We were hoping to bring both mine and Robz's computers to BYOC, but its looking like only mine is going to make the trip, especially if I don't have my new case for the trip.

We have two BYOC tickets so I figured we can easily just share my one computer and that shouldn't be an issue I hope. But what I'm curious about is I was thinking about bringing either his 24" monitor or my two 20.1" monitors. I know there is power and space constraints but if we have two physical spots can I hook up both monitors?

I checked over the FAQ and saw the comment about only a 24" monitor and power constraints but I wanted to check to be sure.

<--- going batty about not having her new case in time potentially

Edit: His machine is having some issues and I don't think I'll be able to shore those up with everything else I have to do in the next week and a half.

ransim on
    edited February 2011
    ransim wrote: »
    So... silly question.

We were hoping to bring both mine and Robz's computers to BYOC, but its looking like only mine is going to make the trip, especially if I don't have my new case for the trip.

We have two BYOC tickets so I figured we can easily just share my one computer and that shouldn't be an issue I hope. But what I'm curious about is I was thinking about bringing either his 24" monitor or my two 20.1" monitors. I know there is power and space constraints but if we have two physical spots can I hook up both monitors?

I checked over the FAQ and saw the comment about only a 24" monitor and power constraints but I wanted to check to be sure.

<--- going batty about not having her new case in time potentially

Edit: His machine is having some issues and I don't think I'll be able to shore those up with everything else I have to do in the next week and a half.

Yes to both of your questions.

If you both have a BYOC badge then you can enter and leave as you please.

Yes if you have 2 seats you can have 2 monitors.

Or you can hook up a laptop and a monitor if either of you have a laptop or something to bring.

BigRed on