As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Epic level Boston Noms

1235»

• Options
    OnmitsuOnmitsu I'm just a birdie Ca-caw, ca-caw!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    According to the PAX East map, and also the BCEC website, there is a food court at the BCEC. I did not know of this. Granted, I've never been IN the BCEC. But if they charge what the place in the Hynes does, you'd be better off walking to one of the many other places everyone has mentioned in this thread.

If it's anything like the one in the Hynes, then it'll be a godsend. The food court in the hynes (technically not the hynes, but the mall attached to it, I'm not referring to the crappy-ass caterers in the hynes proper) was pretty much your standard mall foodcourt. Generally inexpensive, nothing special, but it's quick and easy. If you've ever been to a convention WITHOUT a food court, and you want a quick, easy, and cheap lunch, then you'll know exactly what I'm talking about (the Javitz center is full of filthy, filthy gougers who deserved to be filleted and served as longpork). Most of my interested in this thread stems from the fact that my friends and I are looking for a fun and tasty place to eat on thursday night. After that, we, like many people, I suspect, will be so deep into con-activities that any place that's located right there and is inexpensive will pretty much be the best way to eat a hot meal and not miss out on anything (aka, a foodcourt). Everyone's different, but at least for us, once we're in full swing at the con, we won't want to spend hours on a meal.

EDIT: I've done a little digging, and apparently the food at the BCEC is terribly overpriced as well, and I don't see signs of a real food court (like the one at the hynes with the chain fast food places), but I'll keep searching and post what I find for quick and easy lunches for con-goers here.

Onmitsu on
    Man, even Dora the Explorer thinks you're slow.
  • Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Does anyone have any impressions of the Atlantic Beer Garden (www.atlanticbeergarden.com)? Would it be friendly for a family?

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Onmitsu wrote: »
    EDIT: I've done a little digging, and apparently the food at the BCEC is terribly overpriced as well, and I don't see signs of a real food court (like the one at the hynes with the chain fast food places), but I'll keep searching and post what I find for quick and easy lunches for con-goers here.

If you want a mall food court experience, South Station is about a 10-15 minute walk away, and then about 5 minutes further than that is a bigger food court in Downtown Crossing.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »

If you want a mall food court experience, South Station is about a 10-15 minute walk away, and then about 5 minutes further than that is a bigger food court in Downtown Crossing.

That's 20-30 minutes lost in transit. I'm looking for something effectively on-site for fast food that isn't the BCEC overpriced catering.

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's a <10 minute busride to both those points with a bus that has GPS on it and picks up right across the street from the front of the BCEC.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I don't think there are a ton of foodcourt type options in the BCEC area, as it's mostly a destination for shows (Pavilion), restaraunts(LTK etc.) and conventions (Expense accounts!).
    Also, you may honestly want 20-30 minutes away from the mass that will be PAX.

schuss on
  • Options
    arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    StrikerObi wrote: »
    The menus for Restaurant Week are up now at http://restaurantweekboston.com

It was mentioned a few pages back, but this is basically a time of the year when a ton of restaurants group together to offer fixed-price menus ($15 for a 2-course lunch, $20 for 3-course lunch, $30 for 3-course dinner) which is typically a really fantastic discount compared to what that list of items would normally cost you. It's basically a way for them all to show off and attract new customers. It's also actually two weeks long (Mar 6-18), excluding Saturday, March 12th.

We went to a couple places last year and I'd say most all of them were good. Of course they're all kind of in the Back Bay area since that's there PAX East was last year.

Summer Shack - Great seafood. They did restaurant week last year too, and their $30 restaurant week menu was really good.

Kashmir - This Indian place is on Newberry (check that area out if you have a chance, lots of cool stuff) and we all thought it was tasty as hell. Damn good.

Little Steve's House of Pizza - It's right near Berklee on Boylston St. I have no idea how it compares to the rest of Boston's pizza. I used to live in northern NJ but now I live in Florida. This place was better than almost any Florida pizza (even the places run by transplants from the northeast). It was thin, big, and greasy. It made me feel like I was back in NJ, so there was definitely a bit of a nostalgia factor playing in my enjoyment of it.

Pad Thai Cafe - Directly next to Little Steve's. I am by no means an expert on Thai food, but I do enjoy some good Pad Thai. This place was good and cheap, and I saw a good amount of people from SE Asian countries there which is always a good sign at an Asian restaurant.

Boloco - A local chain (I think) of burrito places. The one I went to used to be right next to Little Steve's and the Thai place, but looking at Google Maps that location moved down the street. Anyway it looks like there are a good number across the Boston area. I ate breakfast here twice last year. Breakfast burritos are the fucking shit. We also got burritos there late one night at like 2AM while we were as the locals say "wicked drunk". It looks like the closest location to the BCEC is on Pearl Street.

Espresso Royale Cafe - I had to go to the Apple Store before the first day of PAX to get my Macbook's shell replaced. I asked the guys there where I could get some good breakfast. The genius recommended this place. It was really good. They have a shit load of teas (I'm not a coffee drinker) and a bunch of tasty as hell baked goods. It's small so they didn't have any serious breakfast plates, but you could get eggs and bacon on a sandwich or bagel and stuff like that. I had my other two breakfasts at PAX here.

I also agree with the above poster. Skip the food court if at all possible. I'm sure it will be fine. On the BCEC website one of them is marked as the "local" food court which sounds more promising than a regular food court. However, it'll be overpriced and it's so much more fun to explore and find awesome places to eat. You can get good, cheap eats in almost any major city.

Some good info, even if I hate Little Stevie's ... gave me some epic food poisoning when I was in college. For anybody considering Restaurant Week venues - try to make a res. as early as possible, most of the places book via opentable. It gets pretty crowded at some spots :)

arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

Red B/Gold Professor

[15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • Options
    StrikerObiStrikerObi Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    StrikerObi wrote: »
    The menus for Restaurant Week are up now at http://restaurantweekboston.com

It was mentioned a few pages back, but this is basically a time of the year when a ton of restaurants group together to offer fixed-price menus ($15 for a 2-course lunch, $20 for 3-course lunch, $30 for 3-course dinner) which is typically a really fantastic discount compared to what that list of items would normally cost you. It's basically a way for them all to show off and attract new customers. It's also actually two weeks long (Mar 6-18), excluding Saturday, March 12th.

We went to a couple places last year and I'd say most all of them were good. Of course they're all kind of in the Back Bay area since that's there PAX East was last year.

Summer Shack - Great seafood. They did restaurant week last year too, and their $30 restaurant week menu was really good.

Kashmir - This Indian place is on Newberry (check that area out if you have a chance, lots of cool stuff) and we all thought it was tasty as hell. Damn good.

Little Steve's House of Pizza - It's right near Berklee on Boylston St. I have no idea how it compares to the rest of Boston's pizza. I used to live in northern NJ but now I live in Florida. This place was better than almost any Florida pizza (even the places run by transplants from the northeast). It was thin, big, and greasy. It made me feel like I was back in NJ, so there was definitely a bit of a nostalgia factor playing in my enjoyment of it.

Pad Thai Cafe - Directly next to Little Steve's. I am by no means an expert on Thai food, but I do enjoy some good Pad Thai. This place was good and cheap, and I saw a good amount of people from SE Asian countries there which is always a good sign at an Asian restaurant.

Boloco - A local chain (I think) of burrito places. The one I went to used to be right next to Little Steve's and the Thai place, but looking at Google Maps that location moved down the street. Anyway it looks like there are a good number across the Boston area. I ate breakfast here twice last year. Breakfast burritos are the fucking shit. We also got burritos there late one night at like 2AM while we were as the locals say "wicked drunk". It looks like the closest location to the BCEC is on Pearl Street.

Espresso Royale Cafe - I had to go to the Apple Store before the first day of PAX to get my Macbook's shell replaced. I asked the guys there where I could get some good breakfast. The genius recommended this place. It was really good. They have a shit load of teas (I'm not a coffee drinker) and a bunch of tasty as hell baked goods. It's small so they didn't have any serious breakfast plates, but you could get eggs and bacon on a sandwich or bagel and stuff like that. I had my other two breakfasts at PAX here.

I also agree with the above poster. Skip the food court if at all possible. I'm sure it will be fine. On the BCEC website one of them is marked as the "local" food court which sounds more promising than a regular food court. However, it'll be overpriced and it's so much more fun to explore and find awesome places to eat. You can get good, cheap eats in almost any major city.

Some good info, even if I hate Little Stevie's ... gave me some epic food poisoning when I was in college. For anybody considering Restaurant Week venues - try to make a res. as early as possible, most of the places book via opentable. It gets pretty crowded at some spots :)

Yeah I definitely wouldn't say that Little Stevie's is "epic level" noms. Don't go out of your way for it. But as a former NJ boy now living in FL, even middling north-east style pizza is better than none.

StrikerObi on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    juju wrote: »
    It's a <10 minute busride to both those points with a bus that has GPS on it and picks up right across the street from the front of the BCEC.
    Waiting for the bus sounds rather unappealing, but if it's the *only* option, well, I guess we'll see. Definitely good to know though, thanks!
    schuss wrote: »
    Yeah, I don't think there are a ton of foodcourt type options in the BCEC area, as it's mostly a destination for shows (Pavilion), restaraunts(LTK etc.) and conventions (Expense accounts!).

I tossed it around with my friends and most would rather just find fast food in the immediate vicinity. We're the sort that are pretty much eating while at PAX because it's necessary, not so much because we want to X3. That's just how we kind of roll at cons. It does look like there are places where we could nab sammiches and such though in the immediate vicinity, so we'll probably just roll with that. We don't mind dropping a little extra cash, so long as isn't con-gouger absurd prices (9 bucks for a burrito, 4 bucks for a basket of fries, is the kind of prices I've heard you can expect from the Silly Gooses who run the BCEC catering).

Onmitsu on
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The Silver Line to South Station is very convenient, since you can take SL1 or SL2, which means a very short wait.

So, time to walk from the BCEC to the Silver Line station, thru the station, wait, ride, up thru South Station.
    Stand in line for food, get food, eat.
    Return to BCEC.

Those 3 parts should be 15 minutes each, give or take. In fact, getting the food will be the longest, depending on what time of day you go.

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    etchaSKETCHetchaSKETCH Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    Here are my food suggestions in Boston:

KO Catering and Pies (red line train to broadway, one block walk) (Australian cuisine, from my homeland :)),
    Eagle Deli (1918 Beacon St., Boston, MA [as featured on Man Vs. Food]), East Coast Grille (Cambridge St., Cambridge, MA), M&M Ribs (102 Hampden St., Boston, MA).

etchaSKETCH on
  • Options
    KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Waiting for the bus sounds rather unappealing, but if it's the *only* option, well, I guess we'll see. Definitely good to know though, thanks!
    schuss wrote: »

I tossed it around with my friends and most would rather just find fast food in the immediate vicinity. We're the sort that are pretty much eating while at PAX because it's necessary, not so much because we want to X3. That's just how we kind of roll at cons. It does look like there are places where we could nab sammiches and such though in the immediate vicinity, so we'll probably just roll with that. We don't mind dropping a little extra cash, so long as isn't con-gouger absurd prices (9 bucks for a burrito, 4 bucks for a basket of fries, is the kind of prices I've heard you can expect from the Silly Gooses who run the BCEC catering).

The only thing that sucks is that a lot of the places around the BCEC are only open Monday through Friday, so before you think you have it all planned, make sure you check the hours of the individual places!

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
  • Options
    JimmyJimJimmyJim Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Cafe' Mami in Porter square is a must for you Japan fans. The other ramen bars there as well. Very authentic. I always get the Yaki Don. :)

JimmyJim on
  • Options
    wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Here are my food suggestions in Boston:

Eagle Deli (1918 Beacon St., Boston, MA [as featured on Man Vs. Food]),

Eagle Deli is also a favorite of Conan O'Brien from when he lived in the area. He says he loved the french toast there.

wonderpug on
  • Options
    terriblejoshuaterriblejoshua Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Harvard sq has some good cheap food. there's a british grocery store there that makes excellent sandwiches for like $7-11. also other places. but i like those the best

terriblejoshua on
  • Options
    jujujuju [E] Line Entertainment! Brookline, MARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Silver Line to South Station is very convenient, since you can take SL1 or SL2, which means a very short wait.

So, time to walk from the BCEC to the Silver Line station, thru the station, wait, ride, up thru South Station.
    Return to BCEC.

Those 3 parts should be 15 minutes each, give or take. In fact, getting the food will be the longest, depending on what time of day you go.

You still have to walk to the SL1/2 and wait for it. The 7 stops right in front of the convention center and right in front of South Station. It just *seems* less tourist-friendly, but it is cheaper than the Silver Line and 7-day passes are accepted on it. Or if it's nice, you can just walk. Walking to South Station from the BCEC is less than 15 minutes as well.

I see that Resto Week has been covered, but some other points of interest for the foodie-PAXers:
    • If you're in Harvard and are looking for a quick bite, Otto Pizza (of Portland, Maine) does really, really fantastic, huge gourmet slice for $3.00. It opened a few weeks ago, and while it's tiny and there's nowhere to sit to eat, it's great to grab a slice and go (like I did for dinner today on my way home).
    • Saus opened near Haymarket Station earlier this week. Saus is a Belgian street food place near the Faneuil Hall bars (it's two doors down from the Union Oyster House). I went there to try their poutine last night but they were out. They also have delicious Liège waffles, and everything is reasonably priced.
    • The Bristol Lounge in The Four Seasons Hotel downtown will have Red Velvet pancakes from March 6-12.

juju on
    PAX East '10-16 Pokecrawl || Team Green's Awesome PokeProf!
    PAX Prime '10-'13 Triwizard Drinking Tournament || Hufflepuff Head of House!
    Twitter: @jujukoo
    [E]
  • Options
    ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was talking to one of the Chefs at MJ O'Connor's yesterday. This is the restaurant in the Westin, which is the hotel connected to the Convention Center.

They're literally the closest real food, outside the food court. It's also really good food.

They're opening up half an hour early, and they're going to open the attached bar at the same time, in order to increase their total seating capacity. I will pass on the warning that he gave me. There's too many PAXers for them to take reservations. If you have a tight schedule, and want to make sure you get in one good meal this weekend, plan on an early lunch.

They're still deciding how to accommodate our numbers, and one of the ideas that was suggested was some kind of bagged lunch or sandwich you could buy and run. You could probably get something similar at the Food Court but I'm going to guess that the price and quality difference would lead in MJ's favor. Would people be interested in something like this?

If you do get to sit down I suggest the Shepard's Pie. I don't usually like Shepard's Pie but its fantastic here.

Scorpius on
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Return to BCEC.

You still have to walk to the SL1/2 and wait for it. The 7 stops right in front of the convention center and right in front of South Station. It just *seems* less tourist-friendly, but it is cheaper than the Silver Line and 7-day passes are accepted on it. Or if it's nice, you can just walk. Walking to South Station from the BCEC is less than 15 minutes as well.

7 is good during the week, but on Saturdays the Silver Line comes more often (7: 40 mins. SL: 5 mins) and the 7 doesn't run at all on Sundays.

Fetch26291 on