As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Can anyone give me some tips in leashing off a miniboss's head? Here's what I've been doing:

1) Thump miniboss
    2) His helmet turns blue, I leash it off
    3) His entire body turns blue, and the leash doesn't seem to work on him anymore.

What am I doing wrong between steps 2 and 3?

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    4) stun him again. (avoid headshots/charge shots. a flail explosion should stun him no problem)
    5) leash head off.

Ginger Mijango on
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You have to stun him again after pulling off the helmet.

Ganluan on
    edited February 2011
    Oh-ho, I thought it had to be while he was still stunned. I'll give that a try tonight, then. Thanks!

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bursar wrote: »
    Oh-ho, I thought it had to be while he was still stunned. I'll give that a try tonight, then. Thanks!

Yeah I usually just blow off the armor with shots, when he's got no head armor leash away and pop goes the weasel.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Hank_ScorpioHank_Scorpio Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is this any good on PC or what? I heard performance sucks and the FOV is locked.

Hank_Scorpio on
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Mighty wrote: »
    Alright, i have had it with these chuckleheads on steam who cant figure out even "double penetration" skillshots.

I have created a steam group!

WANGSTORM

My steam name is Mightyvvhitey

You want in? add me on steam!

you had the opportunity to name your steamgroup WANGTITS and you didn't take it

the fuck is this about

T4CT on
    edited February 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    Alright, i have had it with these chuckleheads on steam who cant figure out even "double penetration" skillshots.

WANGSTORM

the fuck is this about

It looks too much like WANGITIS, which is a serious condition and not to be joked about.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

WANGSTORM

the fuck is this about

wuh, uh.... man, its a bulletstorm group. theres either gotta be bullets or storms...

maybe bulletTits would be okay.... but ah...

:?

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
    edited February 2011
    dicktits

wangtits

i just feel like this is too good to pass up

T4CT on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sushi-Dick and The Fungal Rimjobs

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Butterdick Jones and his Heavenly Asshole Machine

Shame it's so long, else I'd be looking at my new Rock Band band name.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So is this any good on PC or what? I heard performance sucks and the FOV is locked.

You can alter the FOV by changing an .ini file, but it does have a fair share of problems otherwise. The performance really does suck; it runs noticeably worse than every other UE 3 game, anyway, and there are some weird resolution issues. Hopefully it can be patched, but yeah, it's not a good port, which is a shame, because if anyone should be doing good ports, it's fucking Epic.

(Yes, I know People Can Fly developed it, but they're PC guys, too)

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just finished this on PC and I can honestly say I have had no problems with the port. Havnt had any performance issues (@1920x1080) and it looks and runs fine.

The only thing that did irritate me was lack of mouse in some of the menus.

hyperpower on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I beat it on PC.

The lack of mouse in the menus was annoying, and the controls are both iffy and poorly explained. There was at least 1 button that never did anything the entire game, and it doesn't tell you - or let you alter - the 1, 2, and 3 keys are bound to your 3 weapons. If you don't figure that out you're stuck with terrible weapon switching options: either mouse scroll (blech), or holding down a swap button, then selecting your weapon from a pop-up. There's no option for a next or previous weapon bind.

The only performance issues I had were with obvious loading hiccups when some new areas were being approached. The actual combat and gameplay ran smoothly with everything at max. Except for some areas near the end, where it seemed to constantly be loading.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Loving the game...Chapter (Act?) 4 so far. Good writing and the action is fun. OMG the set pieces.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • elliotw2elliotw2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Page- wrote: »
    I beat it on PC.

The lack of mouse in the menus was annoying, and the controls are both iffy and poorly explained. There was at least 1 button that never did anything the entire game, and it doesn't tell you - or let you alter - the 1, 2, and 3 keys are bound to your 3 weapons. If you don't figure that out you're stuck with terrible weapon switching options: either mouse scroll (blech), or holding down a swap button, then selecting your weapon from a pop-up. There's no option for a next or previous weapon bind.

The only performance issues I had were with obvious loading hiccups when some new areas were being approached. The actual combat and gameplay ran smoothly with everything at max. Except for some areas near the end, where it seemed to constantly be loading.

You should be able to change the next/last off the mousewheel, if you really don't like that, through the .ini

I did dislike that reload and grab weapons and use things are all the same button, makes it annoying at points. Besides that, it was pretty well done

elliotw2 on
    camo_sig2.pngXBL:Elliotw3|PSN:elliotw2
    edited March 2011
    if you tap that "swap" button that brings up a swap menu, it should switch to your last weapon iirc

T4CT on
    edited March 2011
    if you tap that "swap" button that brings up a swap menu, it should switch to your last weapon iirc

That's why it's the swap button. But that's not very helpful when the game gives you 3 guns.

I'd still like to know what the x was for, in the default controls.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
    edited March 2011

That's why it's the swap button. But that's not very helpful when the game gives you 3 guns.

I am almost completely certain that it's for the co-op mode, called "blood symphony"

elliotw2 on
    edited March 2011
    Co-op, makes sense.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2011

there's also the fact that pretty much every PC shooter in the last 10 years has used the number keys to swap weapons

T4CT on
    edited March 2011

there's also the fact that pretty much every PC shooter in the last 10 years has used the number keys to swap weapons

Well, more than 10 years, Wolf3D and Doom did it too.

Also, the mousewheel has been switch weapons as soon as they became standard issue

elliotw2 on
    edited March 2011
    elliotw2 wrote: »

Also, the mousewheel has been switch weapons as soon as they became standard issue

It's got nothing to do with that.

It's that the game doesn't tell you it does that, and gives no indication that it does, either. It may have been standard 5 years ago, but fps games are now console ports, and I trust them to get it wrong more than to get it right.

And mousewheel is by far the worst way to switch weapons, ever.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2011
    no

what you're saying right now is like telling me that a shooter on consoles should be at fault if it doesn't tell me that the left stick is how you move

i'm not even going to address the console-port issue because it's been beaten to death and at this point it's just kind of a crutch people lean on when they have to insist a game is not so good

and the mousewheel is also pretty damn standard in shooters so i'm confused where that problem is

T4CT on
    edited March 2011

It's that the game doesn't tell you it does that, and gives no indication that it does, either. It may have been standard 5 years ago, but fps games are now console ports, and I trust them to get it wrong more than to get it right.

Is it also bad that the game didn't tell you you can move with WASD?

I really don't understand what the problem with the mousewheel is when you have 3 weapons, up goes to one gun, down goes to the next. If you have your "left" weapon equipped, then down is the "right", and up is your rifle

elliotw2 on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

The game didn't tell you to aim with the mouse. Why wouldn't you "trust them to get it wrong" with that?

Ratsult2 on
    edited March 2011
    Mousewheel is standard AND horrible. They're not mutually exclusive.

The difference -- the point I was making originally -- is that it's also standard for it, and individual weapon binds, to be in the option menu, so you can see them and change them as you like.

The game may not tell you to aim with the mouse or move with wasd, but it also lets you see that in the options and change it.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2011
    I am pretty sure you might be the only PC gamer ever to not like mousewheel weapon switching so that's on you, that's not a fault of the game at all.

and no, that's not the original point you were making. the point you originally made was that the controls were "both iffy and poorly explained", and neither of these are the case at all. The controls are in no way "iffy" and frankly if you need the game to explain that it uses the same basic system for switching weapons that every other PC shooter does...well, the game's not going to hold your hand while you pee, either.

and though you may not believe it, a quote from an article discussing the devs and ilk

"Jessen says the development pipeline for Bulletstorm, which is a DirectX 9/10 game, has essentially been creating the PC version first by pushing the envelope of the graphics and processing power and then dialing it down for the console versions. "

the PC version was developed alongisde the console versions, it's not just some assed out port of the game. a lot of the files locked up to prevent people from fucking with the leaderboard scores.

T4CT on
    edited March 2011
    My point about it being iffy was about the weapon switching, true, but that had more to do with having to hold the swap key down, which is another thing the game doesn't tell you.

In fact, the only thing the game does tell you is that you can swap with the swap key.

I am not the only person who thinks mousewheel is a terrible way to switch weapons. Nobody who plays any sort of competitive fps will go anywhere near mousewheel, because it's imprecise and awful. Yes, that's nearing apples and oranges, but I still think it's beyond dumb that the game doesn't let you rebind some of the most important functions. It's poor design, no matter how you slice it.

And I don't really care what platform it was developed for. It was a general point I was making, and the PC game still shows obvious console-styled artifacts that have nothing at all to do with the graphics.

Page- on
    stream
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I am pretty sure you might be the only PC gamer ever to not like mousewheel weapon switching so that's on you, that's not a fault of the game at all.

Hi!
    Not allowing rebind is a con regardless of how much you might love the game to death. Take things less personally.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • tardcoretardcore Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I fucking hate when I'm trying to slide into an enemy or kick someone, one of my team members gets in the way. Has happened too many times that it made me want to whine about it in this post.

tardcore on
    edited March 2011
    The game literally explains swapping, leashing, shooting, kicking, sliding, and aiming, so I'm just gonna leave that one there because that claim doesn't exist

You are talking to someone who played competitive shooters on PC long before I ever owned a decent console and only stopped two years ago so maybe making the argument that "competitive players" don't think/touch mousewheel switching is a bad argument to make. You can be damn sure they use mousewheel switching all the time because the best way to move forward and swap to your 2-shot is using the mousewheel. The options also let you rebind various keys that may be mapped to your unliking, including things like sprinting/sliding, two of the most important functions in that game. Would it be nice to remap more keys? Absolutely, and I think consoles should have the ability to let me map a function to whatever button I want. But the idea that the game is suddenly worse for wear because it doesn't explain to you that you use the number keys to change weapons, and grating on it further because it uses mousewheel for additonal weapon changing when all it's doing is easing the transition between playing it and playing other shooters? This isn't taking anything personally, this is just outright ridiculous.

If you don't care about it being a port, then I suggest not making arguments you don't care about in the future, because that's pretty dumb.

T4CT on
  • MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is no such thing as a standard competitive "binding set up".

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
    edited March 2011
    Well you talked about a port in terms of graphics, which I don't care about. I'm talking about the way the game seems to lean towards console controls, port or no.

And mousewheel =/= middle mouse or whatever other button a mouse may have besides mouse 1 and mouse 2. I bind tons of shit to that. But having mousewheel as a prime method for switching all your weapons is a non-starter. I'll make that argument all day long.

Anyhow, the whole argument is moot, as Morninglord pointed out; there is no positive for having less config options. Not being able to rebind essential keys is poor design, doesn't matter the game or the controls.

Page- on
    stream
    edited March 2011
    No i am talking about the mousewheel. Not mouse three. In a game where you have more than three weapons, I completely agree with you. But you have three weapons in this game, which means it only takes one up or one down to swap to the weapon you want, if for some reason you find yourself unable to hit one of the three weapon keys for swapping weapons.

Out of sheer curiousity, where would your rebind your weapons to?
    There is no such thing as a standard competitive "binding set up".

when did anyone ever say there was?

T4CT on
    edited March 2011
    Nobody who plays any sort of competitive fps will go anywhere near mousewheel
    You can be damn sure they use mousewheel switching all the time

Both of you.

Morninglord on
    edited March 2011
    It took me long enough to realize that I could only hold 3 weapons at a time, but binding them individually, which is what I usually do, would have been the way I'd go. Though I did run 80% of the game with the same weapons, so I think q, e, f would have done it, with mouse 3 for sniper rifle.

My problem is not so much with the default controls -- they're something I except. It's with the controls the game wouldn't let me change, or even see. I see no benefit to not letting me rebind whatever I want, and I don't understand when games do that.

Maybe modern shooters handle mousewheel better, and they certainly have more limited weapon selections, but when I played, and the games I'm still interested in, you've got 8+ weapons to get through, and you don't want to scroll through all of them every time you need a specific weapon. That's why mousewheel was never used. You have enough keys available to bind every weapon individually.

Page- on
    stream
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to have a buddy that was huge into competitive Quake. He had incredible scripts and binds for each of his weapons. Like as soon as he pressed the F key, he'd equip his shotgun with a custom FOV and mouse sensitivity. On release it would switch back to the weapon and settings he had previously.

I'm not saying Bulletstorm needs this level of configuration options. I'm just saying that more options, especially something as simple as a key binding for individual weapon slots, is something that PC gamers expect. I don't think that kind of expectation is unreasonable, either and criticism on this is completely valid.

Drake on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Fucking marina why don't you let me love you!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net