As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gamestop's policy of destruction (trashing boxes and manuals)

VeganVegan Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
I heard that Gamestop was now trashing the boxes and manuals of used DS games, so I went to see for myself. Sure enough, the shelves of boxes are gone; it's now a locked case (or graveyard, if you will) of cartridge-only copies with price stickers affixed directly to the title labels. This disturbs me.

I wouldn't call myself an outright game collector, since I only buy games that I actually want to play, but I have no interest in cartridge-only or disc-only copies. Of course, I can easily choose to buy used DS games from places like Amazon, Goozex, and eBay, but we all know that Gamestop is where most people sell their games.

As long as the policy of destruction is in effect, DS games will go there to die and complete copies are going to become about as common as complete NES games. They did this to GBA games, too, which are now hard to find complete from any market.

It breaks my heart to see this happen. I guess I'm a videogame conservationist. Am I overreacting, or do you find this troubling as well?

steam_sig.png
Vegan on

• RidleySariaRidleySaria AnaheimRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't like what they do but I also don't shop there anymore.

RidleySaria on
    -- Switch friend code: 2978-3296-1491 -- PSN: RidleySaria -- Genshin Impact UID: 607033509 --
  • mrt144mrt144 King of the Numbernames Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Vegan wrote: »
    I heard that Gamestop was now trashing the boxes and manuals of used DS games, so I went to see for myself. Sure enough, the shelves of boxes are gone; it's now a locked case (or graveyard, if you will) of cartridge-only copies with price stickers affixed directly to the title labels. This disturbs me.

I wouldn't call myself an outright game collector, since I only buy games that I actually want to play, but I have no interest in cartridge-only or disc-only copies. Of course, I can easily choose to buy used DS games from places like Amazon, Goozex, and eBay, but we all know that Gamestop is where most people sell their games.

As long as the policy of destruction is in effect, DS games will go there to die and complete copies are going to become about as common as complete NES games. They did this to GBA games, too, which are now hard to find complete from any market.

It breaks my heart to see this happen. I guess I'm a videogame conservationist. Am I overreacting, or do you find this troubling as well?

Used games? What's the problem.

mrt144 on
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You act like this is a new thing. Used DS games have been like this at GameStop since at least last summer, which is when I finally got a DS and had a reason to notice.

Gaslight on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Like I needed another reason not to shop there. Gamestop shenanigans have left me going online to buy boxes and manuals on their own on far too many occasions.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like cases and keep all mine intact and in good condition, but storefront is precious, and Gamestop isn't in the business of preserving packaging, they're in the business of paying $2 for your used copy of My Pretty Princessez: Let's Dress and putting it back on their shelves for $24.

Dehumanized on
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yep. This.

One of the gamestops I used to go to started selling used games without manuals/original packaging... seeing as they're kind of worthless (to me) without em, I stopped buying from the store. They probably changed the policy, but I also switched over to only buying games online, so ... yea. If I do go to a brick and mortar game shop, it's usually one that's not a gamestop. hell, even FYE had/has used games relatively intact as far as their box and packaging goes.

@mrt144: he's not just buying the game for the game itself. He's a collector. Having just the cartridge isn't as valuable.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    @mrt144: he's not just buying the game for the game itself. He's a collector. Having just the cartridge isn't as valuable.

Eh, like I said, I don't consider myself a collector, more of a conservationist. I don't buy every game I see in an attempt to get a full set a system's games or anything. I buy only the games I want but I do keep them on a shelf. The case and manual make up two-thirds of a game, in my opinion.

It just really distresses me that a video game business is actively committing some kind of video game holocaust. We know that all of their money comes from used game sales. Don't do something that makes me not want to buy your used games. Don't do something that makes me despise you and lose all respect for you.

I can choose to not shop at Gamestop, of course, but now they're sabotaging the ability to get them properly from ANYONE in the future by creating a scarcity. If I were a collector, I'd be overjoyed that my 80 complete DS games are now more "rare". I don't want that, I don't revel in that.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You think that's all they do? They destroy untold amounts of strategy guides and PC games once they get pennied out. That's if employees don't take them home for free.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I work at one and when we started doing this it drove me nuts. Notably the DS games. The only time I buy DS games from there now are new ones or when someone trades one in and I am interested in it.

It was done in the name of wall space, cause space = $.

Also because GameStop's corporate managers are really backwards. They found out that people were more likely to buy DS games that were just cartridges on display as opposed to in generic mock boxes.

THEN they thought it was a logical step to go, "Oh, well if that increased used DS sales, and kids mostly trade in DS games without boxes, let's just axe the boxes entirely."

PS2 game boxes being tossed...eh, I could care less. It's PS2. It's done.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I actually feel the same about DS game boxes... Not because it's a done system, but because once I remove a DS game from its box, it never enters the box again. When it gets removed from the DS, it goes into the Ziplock Bag Of DS Games. Right now, thinking about it, every DS game box I own is basically junk taking up space in my room.

Which is odd, because I'm very careful about games for my other systems.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    People still think about gamestop? I stopped shopping there years ago.

Fizban140 on
  • CheesecakeRecipeCheesecakeRecipe "Should not be allowed to post in the Steam Thread" - Isorn Squalor Victoria, Squalor Victoria!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah I've noticed this the last few times i've been into a gamestop (and that's not often at all), and it's the worst thing to me. While I embrace my PC Overlords with Steam, for consoles and handhelds I have an odd notion that there should be a box, something I can proudly display or look at or take to a friend's house. It doesn't matter how rare the game is, no box and manual = no sale to me.

I can almost see animal rights activist style videos being taken of backroom butchery of DS/GBA game cases as a disturbing, viral PSA to warn others of the horrors of selling your games off to gamestop. :lol:

CheesecakeRecipe on
  • Lionel-RichieLionel-Richie Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Raiden333 wrote: »

I actually feel the same about DS game boxes... Not because it's a done system, but because once I remove a DS game from its box, it never enters the box again. When it gets removed from the DS, it goes into the Ziplock Bag Of DS Games. Right now, thinking about it, every DS game box I own is basically junk taking up space in my room.

Which is odd, because I'm very careful about games for my other systems.

Honestly this is a large reason why they're doing it.

Every time I complain vocally about the DS box thing to another manager (usually because someone asked me what Fashion Stylist VIII - Even More New York Clothes entails, and I can't explain it), they go, "Well think about it, most DS games traded into us are just the catridges."

Which is true. Dumb kids come in and empty their pockets onto the counter. All of my DS games are in my ds travel case, but I have all my boxes alphabetical on a shelf.

Also...I hate the stickers we put on them.

edit: Though I don't know how anyone could complain about boxes for anything like GBA or SNES or NES. Those were made out of paper that disintegrated into mush on touch.

Lionel-Richie on
  • Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Well they already put the price tags directly onto boxes with nigh impossible to remove adhesive, so this really shouldn't bother anyone because the box is typical ruined already.

Ragnar Dragonfyre on
    steam_sig.png
  • JackRellikJackRellik Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    At this point, I shop at GameStop for the sole reason that there are like 3 of the damn things within walking distance of my house. Given the option though, I much rather go to Play'n'Trade. Atleast there it feels like I'm dealing with people who actually give a shit about the product that they're selling.

JackRellik on
    Senshi wrote: »
    Subtlety
    I'll be honest, I have no fucking clue how Sublety rogues work. I guess they like shadows and shit, and you sort of have to be a douche to play one if you look at the talents. I mean, they're all troll talents. Shadowstep? More like LOLITROLLU, amirite? So yeah, Subtlety rogues: sneaky douchebags with ridiculous talents and rage-inducing abilities.
    Sounds like the perfect PvP tree.

<3
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey remember when Gamestop used to put the stickers on the actual covers? Like they would remove the cover form the case, put it directly onto the paper, and then put the paper back in? That was a horrible month or two that they did that. I don't know why they stopped, but I'm going to assume it's because a bunch of people bitched and said it was incredibly stupid for them to do that. Which it was. I still think doing that is worse than outright trashing the boxes.

Gilder on
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I care. I don't care if a system is "done", this stuff should be preserved.

I agree that things with cardboard boxes (NES, GBA) is asking a bit much, but hard plastic cases... And yeah, you can replace them, they're just DVD cases, but there go the liners and booklets (which I still read before playing any game).

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011

Eh, like I said, I don't consider myself a collector, more of a conservationist. I don't buy every game I see in an attempt to get a full set a system's games or anything. I buy only the games I want but I do keep them on a shelf. The case and manual make up two-thirds of a game, in my opinion.

It just really distresses me that a video game business is actively committing some kind of video game holocaust. We know that all of their money comes from used game sales. Don't do something that makes me not want to buy your used games. Don't do something that makes me despise you and lose all respect for you.

I can choose to not shop at Gamestop, of course, but now they're sabotaging the ability to get them properly from ANYONE in the future by creating a scarcity. If I were a collector, I'd be overjoyed that my 80 complete DS games are now more "rare". I don't want that, I don't revel in that.

This has to stop.

Buy games new if it means that much to you.

Also, video game holocaust? Holy fuck that is melodramatic and potentially offensive.

mrt144 on
  • GreenGreen Stick around. I'm full of bad ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I agree that things with cardboard boxes (NES, GBA) is asking a bit much, but hard plastic cases... And yeah, you can replace them, they're just DVD cases, but there go the liners and booklets (which I still read before playing any game).

In our store, we only did this for the PS2 games that sell for $5.99 and under because there are just too damn many of them, though recently if they come in with a box we just put the whole thing in our bargain bin

And we haven't gotten rid of our DS boxes at all so I don't think this is a comapny-wide thing

Green on
    edited March 2011

Why should it be preserved. Maybe if JRPGs weren't on their 8th or 13th iteration in the fucking franchise or EA didn't release Madden et al every year there would be some fucking gravitas in historical context.

mrt144 on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Think of it this way: The more cases/booklets/cover art that Gamestop throws away, the more tens of cents you'll get when you sell your pristine game collection many years from now.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
    edited March 2011
    Think of it this way: The more cases/booklets/cover art that Gamestop throws away, the more tens of cents you'll get when you sell your pristine game collection many years from now.

It boggles the mind that people assign an intrinsic or inherent value to something but don't seem to want to pay for it brand new. Put up or shut up.

mrt144 on
  • Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know what that has to do with my comment.

Two Headed Boy on
    4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • JavenJaven Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pretty sure they did this with GBA games when those went out of style too.

Not really going to get into a gamestop argument, but if keeping manuals and stuff is something you care about, then best not trade in any of your games. I don't really find this behavior very stunning though, nor do I find it offensive.

These people aren't destroying the rain forest. They're not committing some heinous, inhumane act. They're video games. You said you have no interest in buying cartridge only games. Okay, don't buy at gamestop. There are people that do want JUST the game, so THEY can buy at gamestop. Just make sure not to look down on the people that are okay with buying a game with only the bare bones, because that makes you kind of a douche.

Javen on
    edited March 2011
    I don't know what that has to do with my comment.

It just made me think of it in terms of dollars and...sense

mrt144 on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Second'd

I do buy things from there occasionally, but it's only when I'm in the area and I've got nothing better to do, stop in, and manage to find something new for cheap.

I don't think I've ever pre-ordered anything from 'em. Haven't bought used game from 'em since the Dreamcast days (Which was Spider-Man).

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Really? You consider the case and manual to be of more value than the actual game?

I used to always want the case/manual in perfect condition and had my 'collection' displayed on my shelves next to the tv/computer but as time has gone on I have kinda got over it. As long as I have some way to keep the game safe, its easily identifiable, and if I choose to resell it will get approximately what I paid, I have no problem not having them.

edit: And also I don't think I've read a manual properly for years. I remember the great manuals of yesteryear. Baldur's Gate 2 had a fantastic one. They were full of story and style as well as base instructions.

These days manuals are the bare minimum if there is even one at all. Most manuals I've seen lately are <20 pages with quick descriptions of basic actions. PC games have gotten to the point where some don't even have manuals (except as a pdf on the install disc).

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i could understand for older games where a manual might be needed but most modern games have in-game tutorials. there's lots of reasons to demonize gamestop but this is a dumb one.

Local H Jay on
  • DyvionDyvion Back in Sunny Florida!!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    While we're on the subject of Manuals... My favorite manual ever was Starflight. Starflight II's manual was close. There was tons of humor and background. And the copy protection utilized that map that came with. I still have the box/manual/map. Loved that game.

Developers no longer put any love into the items that come with the game; not including special collectors edition crap, gamestop wouldn't dare trash those things. I just see this as a natural evolution of developers focusing on the 'game' and not on the accessories that would make it an 'experience'. Are there even any games that require accessories that aren't controllers anymore?

Dyvion on
    Steam: No Safety In Life
    PSN: Dyvion -- Eternal: Dyvion+9393 -- Genshin Impact: Dyvion
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I personally won't buy a used game without the case and manual. But then I totally understand why Gamestop would trash the cases and manuals; that's a lot of space being taken up.

Magic Pink on
  • VoodooVVoodooV Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm surprised Gamestop is still in business with all the negative things I hear about them.

I haven't shopped there in years. But then again, I've severely changed my game purchasing habits over the years. With the exception of Bioware games and maybe one or two other exceptions like indie games, if it isn't less than 20 bucks = i'm not buying it. period.

I haven't bought any games lately, but when I do, It's usually after searching through ebay

VoodooV on
  • LunkerLunker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I love GameStop. No, seriously. Because I don't really case about the outer cruft of a game (packaging, manuals, special edition figurines) and as long as the game itself is in good enough condition to play, I'll gladly take some discounts. I also keep all of my games and DVDs in CD wallets, as having my library easy to sort through and unobtrusive is worth more to me (and my wife!) than seeing rows of boxes.

And yes, their flat trade-in values are often terrible (Amazon is way better, but they also require all boxes and manuals, for those who are into that kind of thing), but if you wait for good promos and also only buy during good promos, you can recycle in-store credit indefinitely. Just last week their website had a buy 2 get 1 deal, and I bought six games, traded four right back in (they also have a 50% trade-in value bonus promo right now) to recoup my initial cost, and kept the last two for free. The games in question (Sly Collection and Heavy Rain, both fairly recent) are complete with box and manual; Heavy Rain was initially disc-only, but I brought it to a retail store and the register worker was happy to swap out my copy for a complete one, no questions asked. It's completely possible to get killer deals; you just have to be a little patient.
    VoodooV wrote:
    I'm surprised Gamestop is still in business with all the negative things I hear about them.
    You hear bad things about them from diehard gaming enthusiasts. It is blazingly ironic that the one dedicated gaming retailer is actually pretty weak at serving the gaming enthusiast (having "only enough copies for preorders," disc/case conditions, etc.), and I won't dispute that, but the lion's share of sales are from mainstream consumers who very likely don't care about whether a game's manual is a little frayed, or what ultimately happens to the games they trade in.

Lunker on
    Tweet my Face: @heyitslunker | Save money at CheapAssGamer (not an affiliate link)
  • JagoJago Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    They destroy the physical game and your pocketbook. Their whole used system nets them 50% of their profits by taking 50% of yours. Sell a game for 30 bucks to see them sell it for 55? People have to stop putting up with that.

People are getting fed up actually and doing something about it though, just use online services to buy and sell used games. You get more and pay less because more of the money stays with the buyers/sellers instead of gamestops 100% markup. I'm using [url][/url] and there are others.

Jago on
  • SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My bigger issue is just their prices in general. I just got my PS3 a couple weeks back, hopped onto Gamestop's site to take advantage of one of their buy 2 get 1 used sales. It didn't take me too long to figure out that nearly everything I was interested in was cheaper (or the same price) new on Amazon than it was used from Gamestop. Top that off with how I get free shipping on Amazon via Prime and how they don't charge tax in my state.

I'll happily buy from Gamestop when I can get legitimately get a better deal there, but I have not seen that happen in some time, and the selection at my local stores has gotten so bad that I hardly bother to walk in there anymore. Of course, I've had my share of deals and good experiences there, but its been quite a while.

SightTDW on
    Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Filing under non-issue. The product remains intact. If you want the box, buy it new.

If you want something to complain about, complain about Wal-mart throwing away clothes because they have to get them of the shelves when they don't sell. And yes, they have to throw them in the dumpsters, they can't donate them to charity/homeless/salvation army, they have to destroy them.

Now that's retardation.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kor wrote: »
    Filing under non-issue. The product remains intact. If you want the box, buy it new.

If you want something to complain about, complain about Wal-mart throwing away clothes because they have to get them of the shelves when they don't sell. And yes, they have to throw them in the dumpsters, they can't donate them to charity/homeless/salvation army, they have to destroy them.

Now that's retardation.

Hey now, Wal-mart is saving a homeless man from wearing a blouse from the Kathy Lee collection. That's a wash in my book.

Re GameStop: Meh... I use Amazon for new games exclusively now (Release date delivery FTW)

The only time I go to GameStop is when there's a new game I can't afford, and want to weed the "Garbage" out of my video game collection. My biggest gripe with GameStop is the policy them seem to have adopted in exclusively hiring unknowledgable DudeBros.

Skull2185 on
    Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

is it hyperbole thursday already? Damn, where did the week go?

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

is it hyperbole thursday already? Damn, where did the week go?

yea... that was interesting. I was using conservationalist / collector interchangeably, but that just took it to a whole 'nother level. but of what? I couldn't say.

@Skull2185: I buy my games primarily from Amazon because of release day delivery... and two day shipping for free on everything else.

I actually like doing Ebay for rares now. I was able to get the entire panzer dragoon series on the saturn, completely intact, for cheap. I was very happy.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've actually recently discovered how awesome ordering stuff from gamestop online is. . . free shipping, the games get to me completely unmolested, and so far out of the three pre-orders I've done, 2 of them came the morning of the game's release and one came the afternoon before street date.

I mean, I hate Evil Boutique/Gamestop as much as any other indignant video-game nerd, but my only other options in this town are big box store number 1 and big box store number 2, and they're arguably just as evil to purchase from as EB/GS

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
    edited March 2011
    You know what I'd like to see? Them charge for manuals and packaging, like 200% more than the cost of the game itself. And if purchase the manuals and packaging, they destroy another one in front of you. JUST TO FUCK WITH YOU.

mrt144 on