As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The continuing adventures of: Chuck vs [Adjective] [Noun]

• XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sarah's outfit actually worked well for the tone of that scene too, instead of being more revealing. I liked the wings.

The basic spy plot wasn't really lame, just felt more of a setup for things to come (maybe because that's exactly what it was...). I kind of cringed at first over Sarah playing with the collectibles, I mean Morgan may need to grow up etc, but that seemed stretching it a bit, but then it turned amusing and then of course semi-serious. Show does that well.

So they built an entire new hallway and...something at the end of said hallway, and Chuck and Sarah aren't supposed to know about it? Ooook. I do like how they acknowledged Casey is being kind of side lined and then show (one reason) why he's still around. Someone has to rack up the bodies when needed.

I kind of hope Vivian isn't heading towards the obvious, but not sure where else she could go, so.

Oh yes: "GB" and Beckman didn't call Morgan out on it, ha.

Xeddicus on
  • enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I was already cracking up about the way Yvonne said "hang" so the rest of that scene just slaughtered me. I love her and Josh Gomez together.

And the more I think about it, the more Vivian would be a great villain for Chuck, in the style of the good non-Joker Batman villains.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • theSquidtheSquid Sydney, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh God that Sarah and Morgan scene was so awkward.

theSquid on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The main story seemed to be just "there", and it seemed like of all the episodes it stood out as CIA agents not really acting like agents until Casey saved the day.

I liked Jeffster being the key to the baby being quiet. It's overused but here it works.

TexiKen on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is the plot hole of the week that Clara is now apparently 3 months old? I know TV time is different, but since last night's episode was Valentines Day (a whole week late, stupid schedule) then Clara would have been born sometime around mid November and wasn't the Thanksgiving episode the one where Volkoff ate dinner with them and Ellie and then Sarah spent a couple weeks under cover?

Totally ruined my immersions. Disbelief is unsuspended again. A+ would watch again.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Is the plot hole of the week that Clara is now apparently 3 months old? I know TV time is different, but since last night's episode was Valentines Day (a whole week late, stupid schedule) then Clara would have been born sometime around mid November and wasn't the Thanksgiving episode the one where Volkoff ate dinner with them and Ellie and then Sarah spent a couple weeks under cover?

Totally ruined my immersions. Disbelief is unsuspended again. A+ would watch again.

Maybe Awesome and Ellie, which has more right to be called "Elliesome" than Sarah and Chuck should be called "Charah", are so frazzled that it actually seems like it's been 3 months to them.

ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • tbloxhamtbloxham Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think this season has gotten much better since the end of the mother plotline, I hope it can get back to that level of amusement that it had when they were fighting the ring etc.

tbloxham on
    "That is cool" - Abraham Lincoln
  • BobbleBobble Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    For Chuck Plot Hole of the Week, I'd like to nominate the idea that Boris would be searching for Volkov's planned successor, checking for someone that might have "The Key" and wouldn't even think to look for Frost.

Bobble on
  • hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bobble wrote: »
    For Chuck Plot Hole of the Week, I'd like to nominate the idea that Boris would be searching for Volkov's planned successor, checking for someone that might have "The Key" and wouldn't even think to look for Frost.

I'd like to nominate Vivian's just riding on back to the stable to be confronted by Boris when she knows all her CIA protection is out in the woods and she was heading out there in the first place to ... do... something....

hippofant on
    edited February 2011
    What about the stupid 1.7 in the ratings? That's fairly lame and doesn't make too much sense. They hand waved Vivian going out there as confronting her problems, and going back, well...it was away from the bad guys too? See, there. Now someone explain the Nielsen system.

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    Presumably she was not supposed to go into danger without a guardian so after Chuck bailed she turned around?

enlightenedbum on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just want to see them introduce a villain who is actually villainous. With the Ring, we never knew anything about them at all. Sure, they were after the intersect, but we never really knew why. And Alexi Volkov was so comical and ridiculous that any bad things he might have done just seemed humorous whenever he opened his mouth and talked. Plus the plot was never about taking down Volkov Industries. The plot was always about rescuing Frost. Its like they didn't really care what Volkov was doing.

Its fascinating to me that we usually get more character development for the occasional one-shot villains in the filler episodes than we do for the full-blown story arc villains.

Lucascraft on
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    I just want to see them introduce a villain who is actually villainous. With the Ring, we never knew anything about them at all. Sure, they were after the intersect, but we never really knew why. And Alexi Volkov was so comical and ridiculous that any bad things he might have done just seemed humorous whenever he opened his mouth and talked. Plus the plot was never about taking down Volkov Industries. The plot was always about rescuing Frost. Its like they didn't really care what Volkov was doing.

Its fascinating to me that we usually get more character development for the occasional one-shot villains in the filler episodes than we do for the full-blown story arc villains.

Sure we did. They wanted to make their own intersect-powered superagents. That was all.

Houn on
    edited February 2011
    Well, since it's partly a comedy I don't think we'll ever get a really grimdark villain. They're way to exposed all the time with a baby around for anything really bad happen. I'll be amazed if any of them even gets shot worse than Casey has in the toe. Stuff like what happened to Emmett is the exception that proves the rule I think. I just hope they don't start dropping characters when the series finale rolls around (in my dream world they'll know ahead of time).

Xeddicus on
    edited February 2011
    Volkoff struck me as a fairly well developed character.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    The lack of Casey concerns me. Otherwise happy Sarah makes me happy. As for the rest: eh.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Casey being knocked down to a supporting cast member now does annoy me. I mean, how do you not use him to fight a chinese gang? The show seems to be stuck in deciding if they want to move the wedding forward or the Volkoff story forward because they aren't doing a good job moving both ahead.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    When will television characters learn? Ray Wise is always evil.

Okay, except for that one cameo he made in the Psych Twin Peaks parody episode.

---

My recording cut out after
    "I'm ready to learn the truth about my father."
    Did I miss anything?
    Boy though, this episode had a lot of plot convolutions, trying to get Morgan in with Casey, trying to get Vivian to turn.

hippofant on
    edited March 2011
    That was the end of the episode hippo, didn't miss anything.

I was actually pleasantly surprised they didn't turn Vivian right off. I hope the ending is just another red herring, the lawyer can take things over when she decides at the last minute she doesn't want to be anything like her father. Or there are the various ways they can use her to screw Chuck up. She gets killed Chuck blames himself, she falls for Chuck and goes evil since he is taken, she's been evil this whole time and it's a Master Plan etc etc. But her staying on the up and up would be the biggest surprise.

Sarah's "I never thought I would say this, but: I felt like a princess." was funny and nice to hear. Happy Sarah doesn't show up often enough.

Casey is getting the short end of the stick, but they did cram everyone in except Awesome. I have faith they'll have him blow something up to redeem his lack of...blowing stuff up.

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    That was the end of the episode hippo, didn't miss anything.

I was actually pleasantly surprised they didn't turn Vivian right off. I hope the ending is just another red herring, the lawyer can take things over when she decides at the last minute she doesn't want to be anything like her father. Or there are the various ways they can use her to screw Chuck up. She gets killed Chuck blames himself, she falls for Chuck and goes evil since he is taken, she's been evil this whole time and it's a Master Plan etc etc. But her staying on the up and up would be the biggest surprise.

Sarah's "I never thought I would say this, but: I felt like a princess." was funny and nice to hear. Happy Sarah doesn't show up often enough.

Casey is getting the short end of the stick, but they did cram everyone in except Awesome. I have faith they'll have him blow something up to redeem his lack of...blowing stuff up.

Total speculation spoiler:
    I'm imagining Vivian springing Volkoff, their going into bad business together in a twisted mastermind/corrupted reluctant child/bizarro-Chuck way, then he captures Chuck, and finally lets down his guard taunting Chuck with all the backstory and stuff, which Vivian overhears, whereupon she comes in and kills her dad just before he kills Chuck.

hippofant on
    edited March 2011
    Fucking finally. Obvious casting spoiler in spoiler:
    Gary Cole will return as Sarah's dad.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Hooray for the casting news and damnit, why are they airing the Event next monday at 8? Don't they know that's Chuck's time slot the idiots. Can't even read a schedule....

Xeddicus on
  • TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chuck continues to cast super attractive female guest stars.

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • dasZombie42dasZombie42 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Surprised no one has mentioned this. The numbers on the bank card were 4 8 15 16 23 42.

dasZombie42 on
    edited March 2011
    And the ratings numbers were 1.7 again, to be replaced on Monday by a 1.1 show. Go go NBC!

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2011
    Well, they only have 7 more episodes and they've got May sweeps to think about. If they just burned them off we'd be done before said sweeps. It's an endorsement that Chuck is going to get the best ratings they're going to get on Mondays at 8. It's actually a good sign.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    It's a good sign for Chuck being renewed in the stupid fucking system, but not a good sign for said system. But we gotta work with what we have, I guess. They could just order more episodes too! :P

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, no, you need to leave these people (by which I mean Yvonne mostly, Zach's had a few offers but she's the rising star) time to do other things or you risk making them angry. And that's no good.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    I think Sarah Lancaster would make a great choice for Lois Lane in the Superman reboot, it would be nice if Hollywood agreed.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Well, not at the moment as she's pregnant.

On a similar note, there were some rumors that Yvonne was in the running for Miss Marvel in the Avengers.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, no, you need to leave these people (by which I mean Yvonne mostly, Zach's had a few offers but she's the rising star) time to do other things or you risk making them angry. And that's no good.

? Really? What's Yvonne done since Chuck started, other than Mass Effect? Zachary Levi's doing Alvin and the Chipmunks and he did Tangled.

Also... I'm not really sure Sarah Lancaster can... you know... act. I remember her from Everwood and What About Brian, and even in Chuck, I'm not particularly impressed with her chops.

hippofant on
    edited March 2011
    She's done a bunch of stuff in Australia. And is doing/did something? with De Niro and a couple other famous people.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    More to the point: I like these people in Chuck, not necessarily anything else, especially without the chemistry between the Chuck cast. Maybe they all secretly hate working on the show for all I know already. I should probably check out something they've done, but none of it has grabbed my attention just on the basic plots. Though that De Niro movie (The Killer Elite) is ahead of the curve just with the title.

Xeddicus on
    edited March 2011
    Tangled is supposedly quite good. And frankly, I imagine Yvonne would have chemistry with anything more animate than a plank of wood.

enlightenedbum on
    edited March 2011
    Does Sarah not have a cover identity anymore? I mean, I know the circle of trust is quite large now, but have they just forgone all pretenses that she's anything other than a super hot spy? Even Casey still puts on the green Buy More shirt from time to time. But with Sarah its nothing at all.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah, they kind of ignored her working at Orange Orange and just made her be Chuck's gf who stays around the store an awful lot in classy business attire.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Does Sarah not have a cover identity anymore? I mean, I know the circle of trust is quite large now, but have they just forgone all pretenses that she's anything other than a super hot spy? Even Casey still puts on the green Buy More shirt from time to time. But with Sarah its nothing at all.

Of the people who even see Sarah regularly, who doesn't know she's a spy? Jeffster, Big Mike, and Clara?

hippofant on
    edited March 2011
    Jeffster and Big Mike are pretty much representative of the only people on the show not intertwined in the spy world somehow. Ellie and Awesome don't count because as far as they are aware Ellies parents are spies, their brother used to be a spy and is engaged to a spy and they live next door to a spy. Also one of their friends is a banana republic dictator.

theSquid on
    edited March 2011
    I was reading an avclub review of the latest Chuck episode and they brought up something I agree with that the shows lost and may be worse for it - namely the growing divide between Chuck's spy world and his civilian world.

Before you'd often have the elements from the mundane activities from the Buy More intrude into Chuck's missions, or he'd figure out a solution that Casey and Sarah would be blind to because of something that happened in the Buy More prior - like the first ep of season two where he convinced a group of terrorists that Morgan and his Call of Duty buddies were actually a black ops team surrounding the building. That doesn't happen anymore. What happens now is he comes across a relationship problem with Sarah, and they bicker about it while doing spy stuff. It feels really lazy and its not nearly as entertaining nor does it bring me to the edge of my seat the way that the constant blurring of spy world and personal life used to.

I understand that its evolved from that point, and that because of the pressure throughout season 3 to make Chuck a "real spy" they threw obstacles in his way that only actual spy work could overcome, until that became the status quo of the episodes. The 50% of the show that used to involve Chuck's inventiveness has now been replaced by flashing kung-fu (which I'm really tired of, by the way)

The show is still enjoyable, but I don't think its changed for the better. It should end soon, on a graceful note.

theSquid on
    edited March 2011
    I was annoyed with how easily Vivian turned this episode. Felt like really lazy writing. Like really. Lazy.

How the hell did Lawyer McOldGuy even get into the bank? Was he just waiting up there ahead of time on the random off-chance that Vivian would one day return to the bank? Or does he have mad stealth skills and he managed to sneak past both Sarah and Chuck plus all of the bank security AND the Dharma guy from Lost?

Lucascraft on