As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Bulletstorm. Captain Swearword's Big Fuckin' Adventure

• hyperpowerhyperpower Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really glad that the "Silly Goose" rule isn't applied to dialog in this game :p

Actually, on second thoughts it might make it even more awesome.

hyperpower on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Put up a nice 13k on monorail, got lucky on a toxikill and racked up some massive points. Also got guerilla tactics.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Drake wrote: »
    I used to have a buddy that was huge into competitive Quake. He had incredible scripts and binds for each of his weapons. Like as soon as he pressed the F key, he'd equip his shotgun with a custom FOV and mouse sensitivity. On release it would switch back to the weapon and settings he had previously.

I'm not saying Bulletstorm needs this level of configuration options. I'm just saying that more options, especially something as simple as a key binding for individual weapon slots, is something that PC gamers expect. I don't think that kind of expectation is unreasonable, either and criticism on this is completely valid.

Can't you just change some settings in the .ini to bind them to different keys? It's slightly more out of the way than an in-game option, but changing ini settings is something you expect with every PC game.

Ratsult2 on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    I used to have a buddy that was huge into competitive Quake. He had incredible scripts and binds for each of his weapons. Like as soon as he pressed the F key, he'd equip his shotgun with a custom FOV and mouse sensitivity. On release it would switch back to the weapon and settings he had previously.

I'm not saying Bulletstorm needs this level of configuration options. I'm just saying that more options, especially something as simple as a key binding for individual weapon slots, is something that PC gamers expect. I don't think that kind of expectation is unreasonable, either and criticism on this is completely valid.

Can't you just change some settings in the .ini to bind them to different keys? It's slightly more out of the way than an in-game option, but changing ini settings is something you expect with every PC game.

Changing .ini files is meh.

Now, if they'd offered me a console and a proper .cfg file, I'd be a happy camper. I'd have gotten more enjoyment out of the game if I could /cg_damagedraw 0, cg_runpitch 0, and cg_runroll 0. But I think that about every fps I play. O_o

And I also use many scripts when I play Quake. They're not that hard to do; you can make them up yourself and it's fun. They make the game so much more fun to play.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Wait what. Hand editing text files to change controls is not the norm. You have been able to re-bind stuff in-game since 1996.

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • remlap13remlap13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just wanted to pop my head in here and say that the campaign is some of the best, most ridiculous writing and action and.. Just.. Everything I've ever played. And it's amazing. I'm halfway through Act 1 or Chapter 1 or something. I dunno. Just went into a mine. But yea, it's ridiculous.

remlap13 on
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    For people on PC who are having performance issues, I had some framerate lag spikes until I went into the .ini files and turned off the enforced framerate (bsmoothframerate or something). Now it's always smooth as glass (Radeon 5850).

EDIT: After listening to her ridiculous lines in this game I think I'm in love with Jennifer Hale.

Nova_C on
  • Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll give the game the train segment for sure. That was fun. I'd hoped the robot monster segment would be as fun, but on Very Hard I kept getting 2 things: 1, all the enemies would shoot through it and hit me, so I had to stay behind cover, but when I did the robot would turn around, making it hard to figure out where it would actually shoot, and 2, the game kept spawning invincible gyrocopters.

The helicopter gun turret segment was surprisingly easy; usually those things are terribly balanced for harder difficulties.

And that one fight in a lobby toward the end of the game, where it spawned like 4 minibosses in a row. That was good times.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
    edited March 2011
    TelMarine wrote: »

Wait what. Hand editing text files to change controls is not the norm. You have been able to re-bind stuff in-game since 1996.

It's not the norm, but it's a bit silly to complain about changing controls (that most people prefer) in an ini... when you are going to be changing other things in those files anyway.

Ratsult2 on
  • DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's not the norm, but it's a bit silly to complain about changing controls (that most people prefer) in an ini... when you are going to be changing other things in those files anyway.

Most of those things could use a checkbox or two in a menu too.

Drake on
  • LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Most of those things could use a checkbox or two in a menu too.

Yeah, why the fuck should we have to go change shit in the .ini file? why isn't there an advanced menu for that crap? This is not some obscure phenomenon, this is the developers being morons or lazy morons. Just another goddamn symptom of consoleportitus. Shit like this makes me want to headbutt kittens.

Lanrutcon on
    Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • envoy1envoy1 the old continentRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, what? Jennifer Hale? Steven Blum? Are there like only one set of voice actors in the video game industry? I don't have a problem with either, Blum always sounds like he's had a bottle of whiskey (I swear the whole building shakes when I turn up the base on his lines), but it's just, always, always the same people.

envoy1 on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There is no reason not to have added options. People who care will be pleased and people who don't care won't deal with those options.

It's obviously just not worth the hassle for these companies, one assumes.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »
    Wait, what? Jennifer Hale? Steven Blum? Are there like only one set of voice actors in the video game industry? I don't have a problem with either, Blum always sounds like he's had a bottle of whiskey (I swear the whole building shakes when I turn up the base on his lines), but it's just, always, always the same people.

It could be that hiring people that are known for doing voice work in games is desirable, but I imagine that it has more to do with contractual or financial reasons than anything. Perhaps Blum and/or Hale have deals with the studios that do the voice work.

Nova_C on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Might I suggest a group name along the lines of 'The Intellectual Gentleman's Repository For All Matters Pertaining To The Subject Of Bullets, And The Storms That Ensue Thusly'.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Intellectual Gentleman's Repository For All Matters Pertaining To The Subject Of Bullets, And The Storms That Thusly Ensue

fixed for stuff

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    envoy1 wrote: »

Just be glad they're hiring actual voice actors instead of celebrities.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The Intellectual Gentleman's Repository For All Matters Pertaining To The Subject Of Bullets, And The Storms That Thusly Ensue

fixed for stuff

I wanted to avoid the alliteration on 'that thusly', because alliteration is a douche.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • GanluanGanluan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is it just me or are the leaderboards totally jacked in this game? I have all of the Echo achievements but it doesn't even show I played the Park echo, and when I went back and got 17k on Collapsed Building it didn't update my previous score. A couple of the other ones still show 2 star scores even though I have 3 stars on all of them.

Ganluan on
  • DogEightDogEight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ganluan wrote: »
    Is it just me or are the leaderboards totally jacked in this game? I have all of the Echo achievements but it doesn't even show I played the Park echo, and when I went back and got 17k on Collapsed Building it didn't update my previous score. A couple of the other ones still show 2 star scores even though I have 3 stars on all of them.
    No, it happened to everyone I know at one point or another. I usually exit to the echo menu from the end of level screen and either reload and replay the level again or start up a different one.

It might take a run or two, but you should see the missing score load up eventually.

DogEight on
    edited March 2011
    Yeah it logs the score, just sometimes doesn't display it right.

Man Marina is the hardest fucking solo echo, so little enemies.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You have to go back and replay the level and finish it with a lower score. It'll auto-synch your local scores with the leaderboard if you do that.

Make sure the score is lower than your one that didn't display though, because if it's higher it'll update to your older score and your newest, higher one won't display.

T4CT on
    edited March 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    You have to go back and replay the level and finish it with a lower score. It'll auto-synch your local scores with the leaderboard if you do that.

Make sure the score is lower than your one that didn't display though, because if it's higher it'll update to your older score and your newest, higher one won't display.

Haha really? I wonder if I can just load it up and die or quit the Echo to accomplish the same thing.

Ganluan on
    edited March 2011
    That would probably work.

The number of times this has happened to you is a bit above average. I've only had it happen once in the demo, and two times in the full game (I've done a lot of Echo mode too)... then again I could just be lucky.

Ratsult2 on
  • Ginger MijangoGinger Mijango Don't you open that Trap Door!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Managing to crawl my ass up the global leaderboards (13 now). Getting a lot of enjoyment out of Echoes mode, haven't had a chance to play Anarchy beyond single player yet, mainly because the matchmaking FINDS FUCKING NO ONE, Pile of ass!

Ginger Mijango on
  • sPider817sPider817 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm happy to be above my friends on the Echo boards, being in the top 300 worldwide is fine.

sPider817 on
    Battlenet: s314der#1279 XBL: s314der YouTube
    Twitch Wed-Sun, 2-5pm CST
  • milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game is all kinds of awesome. If I'm allowed a single complaint, though, it would be that it's a bit too easy. I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty, and the only times I died during the first chapter were when I'd have to complete entire sections using only a mini-gun or something, and I couldn't move faster than a crawl or take cover. So even then, it only felt "artificially difficult", you know what I'm saying?

Maybe it gets harder later? I dunno.

At any rate, Bulletstorm is both fun and gorgeous.

milk ducks on
  • TcheldorTcheldor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I've heard people complaining about the PC version. Is there any merit to these complaints, or is getting the PS3 version really the way to go?

Tcheldor on
    League of Legends: Sorakanmyworld
    FFXIV: Tchel Fay
    Nintendo ID: Tortalius
    Steam: Tortalius
    Stream: twitch.tv/tortalius
    edited March 2011
    get the PS3 version

T4CT on
  • ElitistbElitistb Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    milk ducks wrote: »
    This game is all kinds of awesome. If I'm allowed a single complaint, though, it would be that it's a bit too easy. I'm playing it on the hardest difficulty, and the only times I died during the first chapter were when I'd have to complete entire sections using only a mini-gun or something, and I couldn't move faster than a crawl or take cover. So even then, it only felt "artificially difficult", you know what I'm saying?

Maybe it gets harder later? I dunno.

At any rate, Bulletstorm is both fun and gorgeous.
    It gets harder in later chapters. It also depends on how conservative you are. If you constantly hide and don't peek out much, then yeah, you're not going to get much in the way of difficulty.

Elitistb on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    I'm on Act 4 now, and it's still pretty easy. I probably am a pretty "conservative player" by Bulletstorm's standards, but the game does a decent enough job of forcing me to mix it up. Most of the bad guys are a lot easier to kill with a quick Leash / Kick than with the Peacemaker, for example. Against those agile guys, I slide in with that three-barreled shotgun, or use the sniper rifle. Most of the difficulty I've run into has been pretty artificial though, like the "stand in one spot with a mini-gun while waves of enemies advance", or ...
    When I had to control that giant robot? That scene was awesome, except for the very end, when the choppers came in. I never died, but it was amazingly tedious, ducking in and out of cover, trying to get the robot to attack them. I had to eventually run up and get right beneath them so the monster wasn't getting in the way of my goddamn targeting lazer. Again, I didn't die or anything -- it was just frustrating. Artificial difficulty all up ins.

I guess I'm finding it easy because enemies don't pursue me; if I pop back behind cover when I'm bloodied, nobody rushes in for the kill. And when I Leash an enemy towards me, it kind of feels like enemies stop firing at me so I can pull off the combo. Don't get me wrong - I'm having a fucking blast with Bulletstorm; I just expected the hardest difficulty to be ... hard?

milk ducks on
    edited March 2011
    see you haven't hit the part that I found hardest on Very Hard yet

patience, my son

T4CT on
    edited March 2011
    Sweet that tactic worked to fix my leaderboard scores. I also went back and got close to 19k on The Mall which I thought was pretty good.

Ganluan on
    edited March 2011
    T4CT wrote: »
    see you haven't hit the part that I found hardest on Very Hard yet

patience, my son

Right on.

Also, I had no idea Jennifer Hale was in this. Somebody needs to copy in some of her lines from Bullestorm over to a Mass Effect video; I'd love to hear FemShep tell a Batarian he, "reeks like a sun-baked asshole".

milk ducks on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I hate everything involving the sniper rifle and cannonballs. Ugh.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2011
    Chapter 6 and 7 up the difficulty exponentially.

I had no problem until I hit chapter 6. There is a specific room that is almost like a fucking boss rush in intensity and difficulty.

Sheep on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think this is the one game where the sniper rifle isn't my favorite weapon. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't seem as fun as other guns. The parts where you have to use it are kind of tedious.

Pistol though? All over that one.

Mr Pink on
    edited March 2011
    Mr Pink wrote: »
    I think this is the one game where the sniper rifle isn't my favorite weapon. Not that it's bad, it just doesn't seem as fun as other guns. The parts where you have to use it are kind of tedious.

See I loved the sniper sections, my only problem with it was that points scoring during those sections went down because outside of a headjob or premie it was harder to get a good cha ching. Also bullet locking is weird, like you'd lose communication with it right in front of an enemie and miss. This is especially sucky for the alt fire.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011

I like the sniper rifle, but it's pretty flawed. The radio-controlled bullet is a neat concept, but the shot "fails" if you try to move more than a few inches away from your target. Like, I fired at a guy earlier, and noticed there was a red barrel just behind his leg, so as he dove out of the way, I steered the bullet toward the barrel. Unfortunately, the bullet just disappeared before it could hit and cause an explosion.

That's ... pretty dumb.

milk ducks on
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Preacher wrote: »

See I loved the sniper sections, my only problem with it was that points scoring during those sections went down because outside of a headjob or premie it was harder to get a good cha ching. Also bullet locking is weird, like you'd lose communication with it right in front of an enemie and miss. This is especially sucky for the alt fire.

Yeah, I understand they couldn't just let you drive a bullet all over the place, but having it disappear inches from a dude standing right next to the guy I was aiming for is irritating.

I guess I'm judging it from a "I'd rather be sliding and shooting and leashing" perspective. It would be cool in other games but in this one it just feels slow.

Mr Pink on