As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Odd Neighbors

2»

• FirstComradeStalinFirstComradeStalin Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Awk wrote: »
    You guys are really assuming a lot. There is no evidence that that specific neighbour is responsible. Like, really.

Sure, there's no evidence, but actual crimes have occurred that he should have already reported, and he is well within his rights to mention that he has suspicions of his neighbors, and to explain why he has those suspicions.

FirstComradeStalin on
    Picture1-4.png
  • KorlashKorlash Québécois TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I think it's pretty much your civic duty to report this. There's a chance they're not doing anything, but that's what the investigation is for. It already sounds like their presence is making the neighborhood more dangerous.

Korlash on
    396796-1.png
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    See, those sound like legitimate issues. Mail theft, gas theft, petty theft? At the very least file a police report about these things consistently happening, and tell them what you know.

Seriously. If packages and gas and other stuff is being stolen from you, contact the damn police. It's absolutely not "none of your business" when these people are stealing from you.
    You guys are really assuming a lot. There is no evidence that that specific neighbour is responsible. Like, really.

There aren't a whole lot of legitimate reasons for multiple people to come and go between the hours of 10-2 every night of the week.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • AwkAwk Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, you see, you're assuming that these neighbours are sifening gas and stealing things from his yard. You're also assuming these neighbours are actually selling illicit drugs. Everything is circumstantial up to this point. Calling the police and reporting the stolen goods is fine but to go as far as blame your neighbours... uncalled for.

Also, calling the cops on them when they're smoking a joint on their balcony sickens me. I wouldn't want to be your neighbour and i dont even smoke.

Talk to them regarding the parking but I find it suspicious you didnt bring up any of the theft beforehand when you started the thread. It sounded pretty important.

edit: as mentioned before, for all we know they have a business on craigslist selling minibikes. who knows? not your business.

Awk on
  • GdiguyGdiguy San Diego, CARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, I don't think his neighbors are necessarily stealing packages and siphoning gas. I do, however, think that there is a significant overlap between "people who go to buy drugs at midnight" and "people who steal things". Is it one-to-one? No... is it significantly higher than average? Absolutely.

As for it being circumstantial - so? He's calling the cops, not acting as the DA and convening a grand jury. If the cops spend 2 hours investigating and it turns out they're running a late night cookie delivery company, then there's no harm done (other than possibly not getting some discounted cookies). If it turns out they're inviting dozens of people over every night to buy drugs, then that's too bad for them.

Gdiguy on
    edited February 2011
    And as has been mentioned, drug houses = falling property values = absolutely his business.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    No, you see, you're assuming that these neighbours are sifening gas and stealing things from his yard. You're also assuming these neighbours are actually selling illicit drugs. Everything is circumstantial up to this point. Calling the police and reporting the stolen goods is fine but to go as far as blame your neighbours... uncalled for.

Also, calling the cops on them when they're smoking a joint on their balcony sickens me. I wouldn't want to be your neighbour and i dont even smoke.

Talk to them regarding the parking but I find it suspicious you didnt bring up any of the theft beforehand when you started the thread. It sounded pretty important.

edit: as mentioned before, for all we know they have a business on craigslist selling minibikes. who knows? not your business.

I think most people are assuming the neighbours have a level of responsibility for the thefts because it is most likely the people continuously visiting them that are causing problems.

I agree with your sentiments about not wanting to call the cops on people smoking weed in their backyard.

I think the most intelligent thing to do is: call the police and report the thefts. Talk to your neighbour, but not in a threatening way. Don't be all like "I KNOW WHATS GOING ON HERE IM GONNA CALL THE COPS". I would say something like "I've noticed you have a lot of people coming and going, we've had stuff stolen / gas siphoned / other problems, could you please watch out for this / try to tone it down, thanks"

From this conversation you can gauge what type of people they are. They may very well be selling weed out of their house. That doesn't necessarily mean they are cool with their customers fucking with their neighbours. However, they may not care / may be the type of people to do it themselves.

Al_wat on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

Have you ever been around some these idiots? I have. Go read my post. Tell me how does this not fall almost identically what he described?

No direct evidence? Yes. But the circumstantial evidence is there. I'm not the only one saying this and I'm still willing to bet its marijuana or some other illegal operation.

People don't show up like that to just for fun or friends.

Look at it this way, if they were all friends they would stay for MUCH longer. So what else could it be?

AWK, your a terrible person if you think breaking the law is alright and are willing to look the other way.

Viscountalpha on
  • KatoKato Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I love marijuana...always have. But if the guy is worried about it and there are thefts going on, then something should be done. I personally think pot should be legal and then this would be a non issue other than the thefts, but the problem is that they are bringing in a lot of people and there has been an increase in thefts. Something have to give...

Kato on
    Signature??
  • lessthanpilessthanpi MNRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Well, I hadn't initially brought up the theft issues because it is very circumstantial. It has been reported to the police via the neighborhood watch captain. Similar things have happened to a few houses in he area. The neighbor on the other side of my house told me he suspects the couple in question for most everything since they never had issues like this before they moved in. I'm in a a lousy position because I don't want to do anything based on a bunch of things that could be a coincidence, but I also don't want to have anything worse occur. I mostly started this thread hoping someone could come up with a brilliant reason that everything was fine and I could go back to worrying about baseball instead.

lessthanpi on
  • iRevertiRevert Tactical Martha Stewart Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lessthanpi wrote: »
    Well, I hadn't initially brought up the theft issues because it is very circumstantial. It has been reported to the police via the neighborhood watch captain. Similar things have happened to a few houses in he area. The neighbor on the other side of my house told me he suspects the couple in question for most everything since they never had issues like this before they moved in. I'm in a a lousy position because I don't want to do anything based on a bunch of things that could be a coincidence, but I also don't want to have anything worse occur. I mostly started this thread hoping someone could come up with a brilliant reason that everything was fine and I could go back to worrying about baseball instead.

Try this:

http://www.crimestoppersusa.com/

Click on "Submit A Tip"

It will take you to - https://www.tipsubmit.com/WebTipsStart.aspx?L=0

Fill out the card with basically everything you just told us.

Then hit submit.

Then after two weeks take a trip down to the local police station and talk to them about it, they'll be more then happy to at the very least do a squad car drive by to check things out for you and will add your information to a list of things to be looked at. More then likely they'll give you a "well take a look at it and if anything else occurs call us immediately blah blah blah"

If it makes you feel any better you can file a crimestoppers tip but it really won't accomplish anything, if it bothers you so much that you had to make a thread on here about it then perhaps rather then looking to us for some magical fix all solution to everything you should just go down to the police station and tell them about your suspicions of what you already think is going on over there.

iRevert on
  • Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    And as has been mentioned, drug houses = falling property values = absolutely his business.
    Everything here points to them selling drugs. There's really no other reasonable explanation.

So, you have a couple of douchbags selling illegal contraband in a residential neighborhood. God only knows who their customers are, and those customers don't seem to have a problem stealing stuff from the neighborhood. Sooner or later, this situation is very likely to escalate to some sort of violence.

The OP needs to contact the police, and keep demanding action until a SWAT team knocks down his neighbors' door. Whatever your views on the war on drugs and all that, there is no argument to be made that selling drugs in a residential neighborhood is in any way acceptable. And let's not forget that these people don't seem to have any problem selling drugs with two little kids in the house. What does that tell you about what kind of people they are?

Modern Man on
    Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sooner or later, this situation is very likely to escalate to some sort of violence.

No, this is actually the exact opposite of what any home-grow op would want

Also, right now this thread is fueling some terrible paranoia. A lot of people here seem to watch way too much TV and are making this out to be some kind of The Wire situation.

Raise complaints to your neighbor about noise and drive-way. That's it. That's all that needs to be done.

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sooner or later, this situation is very likely to escalate to some sort of violence.

Also, right now this thread is fueling some terrible paranoia. A lot of people here seem to watch way too much TV and are making this out to be some kind of The Wire situation.

Raise complaints to your neighbor about noise and drive-way. That's it. That's all that needs to be done.

You know, unless OP is uncomfortable living next door to potential drug dealers. It's not inappropriate to contact the police here. If he's right, dealers are gone. If he's wrong, nothing happens.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's also the concern that the hypothetical users may not be as calm and collected as OPs neighbors if they indeed peddle drugs. Last thing you want is some goofball breaking into your car because he thinks its your neighbors or something stupid like that. Or standing in front of the house at all hours. Not exactly a safe scenario to be in, which is reason enough for concern. Call in an anonymous tip to the police.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

No, actually the OP needs to call the police, report that stuff is getting stolen, and explain the suspicious behavior going on next door. Ask to stay as anonymous as possible, let them investigate and take it from there.

Unless i've missed something, a home-grow op is illegal regardless of personal feelings - if, like someone said, they turn out to just be selling cookies, then great, but otherwise nothing about letting them continue to run an illegal business next door has any positive ramifications for the OP.

If it was *just*, say, the two neighbors themselves causing noise/driveway issues without all the constant visitors and weed/possibility of weed, then it might be non police-worthy.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2011
    Assuming they are actually growing there is a bit of a stretch.

Al_wat on
    edited February 2011

Just because pot is a fairly innocuous drug doesn't mean the people selling pot, and the people that are buying pot at 2 in the morning are also innocuous.

People in the thread seem to be mixing up their feelings about pot in general with their feelings about a grow operation in the middle of a residential neighborhood with a child living there.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited February 2011

I'm sure the dealers next door don't want any problems. But, in case you haven't noticed, violence is a pretty integral part of the drug business. Maybe they owe someone money. Maybe another dealer decides they're competition. Maybe the customers aren't all choir boys. These folks are operating a potentially dangerous business in a residential neighborhood. There have already been a number of crimes occurring because of their operation. The fact that they would run a drug business out of their home while two kids are living in the fucking house gives you a hint as to what kind of people they are: scumbags.

(caveat: maybe we're all wrong and they are running a cookie business. In that case, the cops will investigate and move on. But, I think the chances of this being an innocent operation are pretty low, given the OP's description).

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

edited March 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »
    Assuming they are actually growing there is a bit of a stretch.

I used to work, several moons ago, in the greenhouse supply business. While many people we helped were actual farmers and several hydroponic vegetable growers we had a fairly large customer base of the "home growns"

Some were easy to spot and others weren't but you started to get an idea of what they were growing when they got down to making their orders.

Anyhow the point is you can convert a single walk in closet into a small grow opperation, or if more is in order a bathroom or even a basement of a house. It isn't very far fetched to think that they might have tossed up some poly on the walls and hung some lights on a timer, picked up a drip irrigation system, and then started lining up plants and growing. Honestly if you purchase in bulk from a greenhouse supply company its fairly cheap (sans the drip system) and can be done in cash face to face as a walk in, and if you even extra paranoid you could purchase the different components from several different supply shops and hardware stores.

But I digress.

With a high volume of hand to hand transfers at all hours of the day kinda rules out any sort of legitimate business, and honestly what else do you think it could be.

Don't be naive drugs are everywhere some people I used to go to school had closet grow operations going and I was none the wiser because they didn't strike me as people who used drugs.

EDIT:

Got off track there, what I was trying to say is if they aren't growing and dealing then I'm willing to bet they are dealing.

iRevert on
    edited March 2011
    I say its a stretch that they are growing because growers wouldn't want that level of traffic through their house. They could be stupid growers, however.

But still - for the level of people coming/going, if they are growing that much pot, there would be other blatant signs that a close neighbour could catch onto.

Most likely they are just selling.

Al_wat on
    edited March 2011
    Al_wat wrote: »
    I say its a stretch that they are growing because growers wouldn't want that level of traffic through their house. They could be stupid growers, however.

But still - for the level of people coming/going, if they are growing that much pot, there would be other blatant signs that a close neighbour could catch onto.

Most likely they are just selling.

Honestly with the picture the OP is painting with that high volume of traffic coming through I wouldn't be surprised if they were selling meth out of the house. Just because the people smoke pot in the summer doesn't mean they aren't peddling a different poison.

iRevert on
  • Chases Street DemonsChases Street Demons Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Once is happenstance, twice is coincidence, three times is enemy action. You really don't think there's a correlation to the mail theft, the UPS theft, the freaking siphoning of gas tanks and the neighbors who definitely spoke pot outdoors and who are probably dealing from the house?

Too many things happening at the same time to justify the "can't prove anything" idea.

Chases Street Demons on
    "Sometimes things aren't complicated," I said. "You just have to be willing to accept the absolute corruption of everybody involved."

• spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Call the cops
    This. If they're cooking meth in the house you might have a much more serious problem than you think - fire hazard, poisonous chemicals, etc. Also, you really have a duty with the kids involved, not to mention your own property values, the petty crime escalating, and your general peace of mind.

Call the cops.

spool32 on
    edited March 2011
    spool32 wrote: »
    Call the cops
    This. If they're cooking meth in the house you might have a much more serious problem than you think - fire hazard, poisonous chemicals, etc. Also, you really have a duty with the kids involved, not to mention your own property values, the petty crime escalating, and your general peace of mind.

Call the cops.

Again its just speculation as theres only suspicions at this point. I was the one who brought up meth simply due to the higher volume of foot traffic coming through and that its a middle class house.

Besides you need quite a bit of sales if you only selling dope, meth brings through a great deal more business (repeatwise) and higher margins.

And before you go there I'm only aware of pricing and frequency of sales of it due to a pair of friends in law enforcement.

iRevert on
  • FellhandFellhand Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Just because pot is a fairly innocuous drug doesn't mean the people selling pot, and the people that are buying pot at 2 in the morning are also innocuous.

People in the thread seem to be mixing up their feelings about pot in general with their feelings about a grow operation in the middle of a residential neighborhood with a child living there.

In an upper middle class neighborhood it's pretty innocuous. It's not the projects.

I guess I'd just mind my own business and stop being all Rear Window.

By reporting people for smoking weed in their own back yard you are basically clogging our already bloated legal system and wasting our already over worked under performing police force. Plus it's pretty dick. If he's coming over to you and leaning on you to buy or to 'hold a package' for him or asking you to be involved in something illegal, then yeah you involve the police. Other than that just live and let live.

If they're not bothering you except for blocking a shared driveway for a few minutes at a time between the hours of 10pm and 2am then count yourself lucky. You can bring that up to them in a polite manner, but I recommend having a possible pleasant solution to the problem for them as well (ie park on the street or somewhere else).

I have a shitty neighbor and I wish he was dealing dope and keeping to himself rather then bothering me all the damn time, having his stupid dogs shitting on my lawn and trying to weasel favors out of me.

Fellhand on
  • spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    That's a fine line to walk, Fellhand. I guess it comes down to whether you believe dealing drugs is a good proxy for other behavior you might want to be worried about, such as child neglect, theft, etc.

Kids do change the equation. I'm surprised this part of the issue hasn't been mentioned more often.

spool32 on
  • NiltNilt Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    All you ahve to do is wait for the driveway to be blocked, make up a plausible late-night errand and go knock on their door and ask that they not block the driveway. Make the errand a regular occurrence (need a pack of smokes, beer run or whatever) and they'll be aware you're up and about that time of night. It's not that difficult; the police have already been notified apparently so you only need to make sure they know you're bothered by the driveway thing.

Nilt on
    edited March 2011
    Fellhand wrote: »
    In an upper middle class neighborhood it's pretty innocuous. It's not the projects.

I guess I'd just mind my own business and stop being all Rear Window.
    What? No. Just because the people next door might be harmless doesn't mean the random strangers coming by at 2 in the morning are. And if they are dealing, the people next door have shown that they're scumbags because they're selling drugs with kids in the house.

The concern here isn't that the neighbors are leading an immoral lifestyle (like, if they hosted swing parties or something) that caused some inconvenience to their neighbors. The concern is that they might be engaging in an illegal business in a residential neighborhood and putting their kids (and everyone else on the street) in danger.

Modern Man on
    Rigorous Scholarship

This discussion has been closed.