As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

UK - Film and Game Rental (Wii?)

Mr_GrinchMr_Grinch Registered User regular
edited June 2007 in Games and Technology
What with there being no game demos for the Wii I sometimes find it hard to part with £30ish for a game without playing it at all. To this end I've decided to become a member of one of these online rental places.

Is anyone a member of any already? How many rent Wii games? What are your experiences with them?

I've joined lovefilm as I heard very bad things about Blockbuster (then again I've heard pretty crappy things about lovefilm too but I thought I'd give them a shot) and I've just filled up my request list with pretty much every title I don't own short of film tie-ins.

The appeal of the online rental idea, opposed to nipping in to my local blockbuster (other than the local blockbuster being a considerable distance away) is the "no late fees" aspect. It means I can keep a game until I complete it or get bored of it. Any I particularily like, I'll return straight away and purchase.

This isn't strictly just UK, but I'm more curious to see how people in the UK have got on with the options we've got here.

Steam: Sir_Grinch
PSN: SirGrinchX
Oculus Rift: Sir_Grinch
Mr_Grinch on

• Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    DEAR ALMIGHTY GOD DO NOT GO WITH LOVEFILM

Or I suppose, any of their subsidiaries.

I could post the saga of just how much these people tried to screw me over, but I cba. Suffice it to say they tried to steal a lot of money from my bank account when i should have been on a free trial, then told me it was my fault. Oh, and refused to give me anything in return for the stolen money.

After various threats and lots of shouty phone calls I managed to get my money back, but it will be a LONG time before I try one of those rental things again.

malerik on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    See, now this is they type of thing I should have learned before signing up. I'm not on a free trial though, just went straight for the membership (you can't rent games on the free trial), so I'll give it a shot for a few months. Did you use the service at all?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    RohaqRohaq UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I use Games Frenzy (http://www.gamesfrenzy.co.uk), and they've always been nice and quick, and support portable consoles, too, if you fancy it.

Also, they offer you the chance to buy the game you've rented at a discounted price, and send you the box with the next game in your list. I got Condemned a few of months after its release for about £13.99, whilst stores still sold it used for at least £30.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Oooh, a game specific one?

-looks-

The site looks a tad amatuer but the selection looks better. Being I'm not fussed about DVD rentals at all this may be better for me. I'll give lovefilm a shot this month and if they turn out to be dreadful then I'll give these a shot. If I hadn't already signed up to lovefilm then I'd probably just sign up with these straight away.

Up to now Lovefilm have sent me one title marked as high priority and one medium (I guess they didn't have eledees in which was my other high priority title).

Anyone else use these?

::edit:: their selection for wii games is MUCH better. I may see how I go about cancelling Lovefilm being I only signed up yesterday.

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    Don't let the site fool you; it looks a little amateurish, but the selection's not too bad, they allow you to pre-rent games not released yet, so you'll get them when they're available, and they're bloody quick to boot.

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    The selection is a ton better than lovefilm, I'm just on lovefilm's site now looking to see if I cancel now whether I lose the entire £14.99 or just one days worth! If I lose £14.99 I'll ride it out to the end of the month.

::Edit:: "We do not provide refunds for cancellations part-way through the billing period."

Balls. Looks like I'll be joining gamesfrenzy at the end of the month. Quite sold on the idea now. Is there a referal scheme or anything being you suggested it to me?

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    malerikmalerik Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    basically, i signed up with a "free unlimited games and films for 3 months" gift card.

So i go to the website, sign up everything and so forth and it says "a password has been sent to your email inbox."

No it hadn't. I don't use spam filtering on the account I entered, so either it didn't get sent, or lovefilm can't send to HOTMAIL.

I go to the website and it's asking me for this non-existant password. I find out that to request a new password, I have to log in. WHICH REQUIRES THE PASSWORD.

I phone up lovefilm and tell them to sort it. They say "this will invalidate your free trial" I say to them no it won't cos I haven't done anything. They say, ok we see what you mean, trial will go ahead as it should.

So I think everything is fine and dandy, but then I notice I can only order 1 film at a time, only 2 a month, I can't order games and the buggers have CHARGED me £6!

I tried once more to fix it. They again told me it was all sorted. They upgraded me to the unlimited film only subscription, again not the correct one, and charged me again!

I phoned up my bank and my bank backed me up when I called lovefilm back and got my money back, due to lovefilm carrying out illegal direct debit transactions. They were taking money out of my bank without my consent, so when I presented them with this, after a lot and back and forth with some guys in india, they refunded my money and told me I would have the unlimited film subscription without charge for the next three months. Note this is not even what my original voucher entitled me to.

Needless to say I cancelled the next day.

Do not touch lovefilm with a barge pole.

Heard good things about Tesco's one though. Or was it sainsburys? I think it was tesco. Whichever one is actually run by the company not by lovefilm.

malerik on
  • Options
    MikeRyuMikeRyu Registered User regular
    edited May 2007
    I don't want to hear this I'm on the free trial right now!

I was going to finish it and then try Blockbuster's free trial.

mr_Grinch I'm not sure where you heard bad things about Blockbuster but I did a little searching and found that they are generally considered the better choice. Better customer service, no throttling and they also send out bonus disks along with the movie and count them as one rental.

I'll see for myself I guess.

MikeRyu on
    Ranmasig5.png
  • Options
    edited May 2007
    No referrals for GamesFrenzy as far as I know, if they ask you for one on signing up though, drop me a PM :)

Rohaq on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Nope, they didn't otherwise I would have done. I emailed them and outlined my situation asking if they billed at the start or the end of the month, as I had a subscription with Lovefilm that had only just started and that if they charged at the start (as I suspected), I'd probably wait until my lovefilm subscription expired.

But, less than an hour later in my inbox I had a reply saying they did charge upon joining but currently they were offering 8 weeks for the price of 4. It was meant to be for returning customers only but they said I could use it, and passed me the link/information to do so. So, to me, that's a damn good start!

So currently I'm a member of lovefilm AND gamesfrenzy!

(As for where I heard blockbuster were crap...everywhere pretty much! They always start good but then, the longer you're with them, the more they fuck you about. Being I'm just after video games, Gamesfrenzy looks the best deal for myself!)

Mr_Grinch on
  • Options
    edited June 2007
    Awesome, glad you had such a good experience with them :)

Rohaq on