As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Gran Turismo 5]: The Real Cash Cow Simulator (Spec v2.0 and DLC out)

The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh...Uh, uh.Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Games and Technology
Previous thread, for those who give a damn.
PSN List
Here is where we keep PSN names and regions, for all kinds of fun stuff. If you want in, spin me a PM or post in this thread with your PSN name and region.
a5ehren - US
agreatgecko
AnonymousAndrew - US
Battledrill - US (West)
BeenieWeen33
Beltaine-77
Betsuni - betsuni7 - US
BlitzAce1981 - BlitzAce1981 - UK
Bloodycow - Netherlands
Bolthorn - US (Central)
CamCamJelly - US
Chrysis_NZ
deveric
deathscythefish
EdwardTheThird
ehood182
elliotw2
fathom216 - US
Fleet_of_Foot
ghjfghdfgcvb - US
Hellisforheroes - Australia
hejmkik - Denmark
Hitsuraptor - Australia
Icemopper
Ironsizide - US (East)
Jhnny_Cash - US (West)
Kale_Sabo
KaptainKreutz
Kiz-ziK - Australia
Klatu_PA - Australia
kog667
kuribosshoe
kdrudy - US (Central)
LiquidSolid - New Zealand
MadCowLucien or Mad_Cow_Lucien
P-bass - Canada (West)
pablocampy - UK
pastoriusk2
pittfurg
Seanron - UK
strebalish
Spoonybard66
tachyon13 - US
Talon_Lardner
Tarballs-87 - Finland
tekthrawn - US
The Anonymous - TheAnonymous666 - Australia
Toma84
Vacorsis - US
WMain00 - UK
What's a Gran Turismo 5?
This, more or less:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5v3aCp899F8"
Okay, okay, if you don't care for that, here's what Wikipedia has to say about it:
Gran Turismo 5 (Japanese: グランツーリスモ 5 Guran Tsūrisumo Faibu) (commonly abbreviated as GT5) is the fifth edition of the Gran Turismo racing simulator series. Developed by Polyphony Digital and published by Sony Computer Entertainment, it was released for PlayStation 3 on November 24, 2010. It expands on the Prologue version and is the first entry of the series to be developed for PlayStation 3.

The game marks the first entry in the series to feature online races for 16-players. A damage model has been confirmed with variations of damage depending on whether the vehicle is "standard" or "premium". Over 1,000 cars will be featured in the game; it will feature 26 different locations and 71 different tracks. Night racing will return in GT5.

World Rally Championship, NASCAR and Super GT licenses are featured for the first time in the Gran Turismo franchise.
1000 cars? Seriously?
Seriously. This game has everything from Skylines to Jaguars to Ferraris to Holdens to F1 cars. It even has Jay Leno's crazy awesome Tank Car. And that's not even half of what's on offer...

Of course, it wouldn't be Gran Turismo without an ungodly broken nuclear missile on wheels. Luckily, with the help of Red Bull Racing, Polyphony Digital's got you covered:
X1-MAIN.jpg
This badass mother is the X2010 (formerly the X1 Prototype), and is what every racing vehicle would be in a world without restrictions. It easily averages 300kph, can reach well over 400 on long enough straights, and is so fast it can do the entire Nurburgring in under five minutes. It's also a fan car, meaning it uses a giant, super-powered fan to create huge downforce, giving it ridiculous turning ability. Oh yeah, and this is being made into a real thing right now.
Hold on a sec. Ferraris? And F1 cars?
That's right. At long last, revheads can live their dream of driving a fake Enzo Ferrari in full HDMI glory.
r246_009_84782_640screen.jpg
What's all this about "standard" and "premium" cars? They're all cars, aren't they?
In GT5, cars are divided into two types: "standard" cars and "premium" cars. Standard cars are, well, standard. Their models are taken from GT4 or GT5 Prologue (so they aren't quite as gorgeous to look at), their damage modelling is mostly limited to dents and scrapes, and they lack an interior view. You also can't change or paint the wheels of standard cars. These make up roughly 75% of what's available.

But that's okay, because the remaining 25% are the real deal. These premium cars have models completely built from scratch; everything, including the interior, is fully rendered for your viewing pleasure. This also means you can turn off the HUD and switch to an interior view for that extra bit of realism:
0013daytonadr4.jpg
There are plans to convert standard cars to premium at some point, so expect a shinier Bugatti Veyron in the near future.
Wait, damage physics? In my GT5?
It's more likely than you think.
gt5-damage.jpg
image01a.jpg
Keep in mind that the level of damage possible varies from dealer to dealer, and standard to premium. You can smash up those rally cars (and Lamborghinis, surprisingly) something fierce, but that Volvo of yours ain't gonna take that shit.
A-Spec and B-Spec. What's the difference?
A-Spec is your traditional "pretend you're an awesome world-class driver even though you play bumper cars with the AI and slam into every wall, every time" gameplay mode. In B-Spec however, things are a little different. Rather than do any driving yourself, you get to train [strike]a slave[/strike] an AI driver in the ways of sitting behind everyone even when they could easily overtake the guy in front of them. It's kind of like Lemmings; you can, at regular intervals, give an absolute, binding order to your driver which they will gladly ignore. You also have to keep an eye on their mood; how pissed off they are will determine whether they think they're drift kings or in rush hour traffic. After each race, they'll gain experience points like your typical RPG, leveling up and improving their RPG stats. But once they get to a certain point, they'll suddenly enter a never-ending spiral of misery and grief, gradually losing stats as their star flickers out.

So, not much like Lemmings at all.
So I heard this game has online play. Is it any good?
Well...it depends. Some people don't mind the constant instability in online A-Spec. Others...do.

B-Spec online, however, is highly recommended. It's called "Remote Play" and can be done from a browser - simply set your B-Spec drivers to online, get a few PSN friends to do the same, set your GT5 into server standby mode, and sign in with your PSN at the official website. From there you can choose an event to run, then select which drivers you want to have racing (the host can only have one, but everyone else can have all their drivers until the server limit is reached), and commence slacking off at work.
Anything else I should know?
Not really. In any case, I'm probably nearing the character limit oh my god this OP is so fucking long.

The Anonymous on

• kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game really is getting legitimately better. Polyphony has been releasing a lot of patches and trying hard to listen to player feedback and incorporating those idea's into the game. So if you gave up on GT5 in frustration last year, you should really come back and give it another try.

kyleh613 on
  • GMaster7GMaster7 Goggles Paesano Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kyleh613 wrote: »
    This game really is getting legitimately better. Polyphony has been releasing a lot of patches and trying hard to listen to player feedback and incorporating those idea's into the game. So if you gave up on GT5 in frustration last year, you should really come back and give it another try.

I don't consider myself a huge fan of racing games, though I do enjoy the Burnouts, Need for Speeds, etc. I'm less interested in A-Spec and more interested in the car collection, tweaking, and B-Spec stuff... will I enjoy this, and should I pick it up? I know everyone in this thread will probably say yes, but I just want to make sure that it isn't like, "Well, A-Spec is the REAL game, and the car collection and B-Spec will bore you after two days." I like that they keep patching this game, and reading this thread makes me want to get the game, get a car, run some races, and either watch some bars fill up or at least enjoy taking in the sights.

GMaster7 on
    PSN: SKI2000G | Steam: GMaster7 | Battle.net: GMaster7#1842 | Twitch: twitch.tv/SKI2000G
  • devericdeveric MinneapolisRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    blue dotted. and still online levelings for everyone!

deveric on
  • DJ Cam CamDJ Cam Cam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ever since all this B-Spec changes this is my go to game for casual gaming. I can have it running in the backround and do whatever I want, and still enjoy the game a lot.

DJ Cam Cam on
  • DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I should get in on this B-Spec thing. My PSN is my sig, so if you want to add me, add me.
    I'll share my dudes and maybe run a few races when I get the chance.

Diarmuid on
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Totally agreed. I came in late to the game, just after Christmas when things weren't great, but as I played, things got lots better. It is extremely enjoyable.

I'm pretty addicted.

Icemopper on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I still need to get of my rear and get the patch and share some online racers. I really want a few of those very expensive cars but the thought of grinding for them makes me weep. I'm also not good enough at the game to win them through events. I have fun with it, but I'm pretty terrible.

Bolthorn on
  • BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what would help with the OP? On the list of PSN users if you could put the PA user name next to it. Took me a while to figure people out and their PSN names by diving through the original thread. Gave up after a few pages though.

You can add mine to the list.

betsuni7 - US

I've been playing it for over a month now and enjoy the game. I liked the previous GTs but gave up after a while because the licenses were insane or something ticked me off after a while. The B-Spec really does let you enjoy the entire game AND buy the cars you've always wanted. Plus their online race events really do boost your credits and experience from time to time. Plus the great community here to help with B-Spec online races.

Overall if you're on the fence for this game and have some extra cash to burn on a racing game I'd say give this one a chance.

On another note, the Lotus can go burn in a pit of magma.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
    edited March 2011
    On a side note.
    whatgt5.PNG
    fixed.PNG

deveric on
  • BlitzAce1981BlitzAce1981 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ...Wait, they're actually going to make the X2010? Holy fuck. I wonder if it'll be ready for the next series of Top Gear...

The best part of Remote Races is getting home from work and finding 200k+ credits waiting for you in the First Bank Of Bob. Although, I'm going to need 4 of my guys spare at the weekend; I've unlocked 24h of Nürburgring at last. Just checked the gtplanet forums, and it looks like it'll be worth about 4 million xp for each driver.

Checking the A-Spec part, it looks like they still don't know what the A-Spec reward is for the same race, but given that Le Mans is worth close to 7 million xp...

Also...

It looks like there'll be a new car added soon

BlitzAce1981 on
    PSN ID - BlitzAce1981 FFXIV - Raiden Solitaire (Sargatanas)
    edited March 2011
    Can you get the Redbull car from Bspec level 35?

Also, you nerds who only have one driver need to upload more.

deveric on
    edited March 2011
    deveric wrote: »

Yes. B-Spec level 35 gives you the S.Vettel version, that you can also get from bronzing all three X2010 events. A- or B-Spec level 40 allows you to buy the standard version for 20 million, in about 20 different colours - this is the same as the one you get from all silvers. All golds gets you a prototype version, which is carbon fibre.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011

Yes. B-Spec level 35 gives you the S.Vettel version, that you can also get from bronzing all three X2010 events. A- or B-Spec level 40 allows you to buy the standard version for 20 million, in about 20 different colours - this is the same as the one you get from all silvers. All golds gets you a prototype version, which is carbon fibre.

Cool, Thanks.

I've had almost no time the last two weeks, and probably won't until next week to level my a-spec, and bspec is leveling at about a level a day right now, with the remote racing

deveric on
  • kyleh613kyleh613 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

Totally agreed. I came in late to the game, just after Christmas when things weren't great, but as I played, things got lots better. It is extremely enjoyable.

I'm pretty addicted.

I was one of the people who followed GT5s development for years and was really hyped up, so when the game launched in November, it was pretty D: inducing. There were a lot of wtf moments with the games design that PD has tried hard to fix.

There are some things that i'm stilly annoyed with though, like tracks that were shown off throughout 2010 that didn't make it into the game.

kyleh613 on
    edited March 2011
    On a side note.
    whatgt5.PNG
    fixed.PNG

You mean Tiger got higher than second to last??? No way...

Love the evidence of the M. Athanasiadis' mad ability.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited March 2011
    I love that a nardo can start in last and a V8 can start in first, and their positions will completely switch.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Betsuni wrote: »
    On a side note.
    whatgt5.PNG
    fixed.PNG

You mean Tiger got higher than second to last??? No way...

It's more towards what Icemopper noted, the nardo was in last, the V8 was in not last and beating it, until a few laps later

deveric on
    edited March 2011
    Didn't notice the lap numbers... My bad.

Yeah I've noticed Icemopper's theory since he pointed it out and I started racing the B-Spec races online. Whenever I start a race I always look to see who "won" the Nardo then wonder who's going to be second. Usually it is one of BlitzAce's drivers in my races.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    edited March 2011
    From the 11 races on Trial Mountain that I've checked, there's been 9 different people getting the Nardo; all with one use, with the exception of deathscythefish getting it three times. However, I did find this freak result:

trialmountainremwaitwha.jpg

I don't know how your guy managed it, SmokeStacks, but he lost to a Vantage.

EDIT - I guess deveric's pics show that he thought, "NOT AGAIN! NEVER AGAIN!" :D

BlitzAce1981 on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Betsuni wrote: »

I wish we could bring our B-Spec drivers into an A-Spec race and compete against them. I'm pretty sure old Mr. A would kick my ass.

In the spirit of ridiculous B-Spec driver names, I've just hired one Mr. G. Papadopoulos. A quick trip to Wikipedia tells me that Papadopoulos is a very common Greek name, meaning "Son of a priest".

SmokeStacks on
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Since you guys have been using my B-spec Bob's so much and giving me free money, I decided to spend it all on a nice fun car to share out to you all...

The baddest f'n station wagon EVER! HOON TIME MOFO'S!!!

Bought it used, gave it every last high end part, engine rebuild, new spoiler, the works... and it's set so that anybody can borrow it from me if they want to HOON AWAY.

But yeah, let me know how it goes with that thing, as I have to head back into work now and tomorrow night so i'll be limited in my playing time again.

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
    edited March 2011
    690 cars in my garage now, and what do I get as my random 30-car-paint-chip-prize?

Silver Chrome.

I have no idea what I'm going to use it on. :)

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011
    Also, using cars like the formula GT in races is usually unfair. but f it.

http://www.deveric.net/photoarchive/completelyunfair.jpg

Not spoilered for huge

deveric on
  • ironsizideironsizide You must whip it Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I gotta re-race that last Ferrari race tonight before it goes away tomorrow. Lost 1st on the last lap due to post-dinner carb coma and falling asleep at the wheel... at 150mph.

I gotta work on adding more of y'all to my friends list too.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2011
    Also, using cars like the formula GT in races is usually unfair. but f it.

http://www.deveric.net/photoarchive/completelyunfair.jpg

Not spoilered for huge

It is even better with the X2010. Almost embarrassing.

And BlitzAce, wow... I never thought I would see the Nardo Concept of all cars lose to the V8 Vantage. I wonder what went wrong... Such a shame you can't save a replay after the race is over.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Okay, screw it, I'm putting this up to a vote; which of the following should I respray Silver Chrome?
    1. Nissan GT-R SpecV '09
    2. Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce '09
    3. Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07
    4. McLaren MP4-12C '10
    5. Ford GT '06
    6. Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011
    The Nissan. I love that stinking car.

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Okay, screw it, I'm putting this up to a vote; which of the following should I respray Silver Chrome?
    1. Nissan GT-R SpecV '09
    2. Lamborghini Murciélago LP 670-4 SuperVeloce '09
    3. Ferrari 430 Scuderia '07
    4. McLaren MP4-12C '10
    5. Ford GT '06
    6. Audi R8 4.2 FSI R tronic '07

That is a tough choice. The Nissan is an awesome car indeed, but the Lambo is so damned puuuuurdy. But it looks best in that orange if you ask me. The Ford GT looks best with a racing stripe. For me, the best choice is the Audi R8.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    Icemopper wrote: »

YES.

ironsizide on
    |_
    Oo\ Ironsizide
    camo_sig2.png
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    76752-rejoice.jpg

The Anonymous on
    edited March 2011
    muchrejoicinglimed.jpg

Limed.

I'm just glad it means I won't have to keep putting off the 9h Tsukuba race.

"I'll do it at the weekend."
    *wakes up late, stares at PS3*
    "...Fuck it, I'll do it next weekend."
    *wakes up late, stares at PS3*
    etc.

BlitzAce1981 on
    edited March 2011
    I'll second the Nissan.

Also echo the Yessssss!!!!

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
  • HooverFanHooverFan NCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The GT-R SpecV is most beautiful when it's just black pearl... it has to be completely stealth to maintain it's awesomeness.

Personally, my vote would go towards a 458 Italia or '69 Corvette Stingray (although I do love that Nick Hogan "Pussy Yellow" option they give you to begin with for both).

Ultimate Option = Kubelwagon

HooverFan on
    BNet profile: HooverFish#1668
    PSN: HooverFanPA
    Steam: HooverFan
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    HooverFan wrote: »
    Ultimate Option = Kubelwagon

Hahaha yesssss.

So I was dicking around in Photo Mode, checking out all of the storefronts in London, and I realized that the level of detail in certain areas is pretty insane:

London_7.jpg

Can anyone tell me what the story behind this statue is?

London_9.jpg

London_10.jpg

Also, I was able to find a way to get a few closeups on a standard car, the Ford GT '05 (imported from the PSP copy of Gran Turismo), and for kicks I tried to take similar shots from the Ford GT '06, which is a premium car.
    London_6.jpg

London.jpg

London_3.jpg

London_1.jpg

London_4.jpg

London_2.jpg

It was kind of a pain in the ass, but I even managed to get a photo from inside of the standard GT '05, and I was able to catch the rearview mirror:
    London_5.jpg

And finally,

either this man is doing the reference pose, or I've found apathetic Jesus:

London_8.jpg

SmokeStacks on
  • The AnonymousThe Anonymous Uh, uh, uhhhhhh... Uh, uh.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm gonna go with "apathetic Jesus".

The Anonymous on
    edited March 2011
    I like how those Ford GT shots are kind of like "Guess what this image is!" Then I scroll down and find out the answer.

Fun game!

Icemopper on
    edited March 2011
    And the winner is...
    bernmarktgasseef.jpg

Bonus pic, because I managed to get hold of some Matte Black:
    sangimignanotownsquarem.jpg
    Doesn't look black enough for my liking...

BlitzAce1981 on
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Looks more flat gray than black.

Bolthorn on
    edited March 2011
    Much more "gray." Weird.

But that Nissan looks awesome. Well done!

Icemopper on