As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

HandHeld Tournaments 2011: It's March Already?!!

ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge ManagerSeattleRegistered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
We're doing things a bit different this time around! If it works well and people like it, the new system will follow on to Prime as well.

The Breakdown:
Each day of PAX HandHeld will have a tournament for one game. There are two rounds for every game BUT you have TWO different opportunities to sign up for round one. YOU MAY NOT SIGN UP FOR BOTH FIRST ROUNDS. Hopefully this means fewer people having to choose between a tournament and a panel and more competition for everyone. <3

The Schedule:
DATE: Friday March 11 GAME: Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)

TIMES: Round 1A Noon - 16 slots
Round 1B 3pm - 16 slots
Final Round 6pm - Best-of from Round 1

RULES: Tournament Mode: Pick any four BALLS TO THE WALL 1V1. Bring your best to smoke the rest. RULES:[/COLOR] All Round 1 matches will be best of three fights (fist to 2 wins) and each fight will be best of three rounds (first to 2 K.O.s)
Final Round matches will be best of three fights (first to 2 wins) and each fight will be best of five rounds (first to 3 K.O.s)
You may only change your character after losing a fight
Winners must continue with the same character (we will be keeping track)
SPECIAL NOTE:This tournament has changed! These above are the new rules!

DATE: Saturday March 12 GAME: Tekken 6 (PSP)

Round 1B 3pm - 16 slots

RULES: All Round 1 matches will be best of three fights (fist to 2 wins) and each fight will be best of three rounds (first to 2 K.O.s)
Final Round matches will be best of three fights (first to 2 wins) and each fight will be best of five rounds (first to 3 K.O.s)
You may only change your character after losing a fight
Winners must continue with the same character (we will be keeping track)

DATE: Sunday March 13 GAME: Tetris (DS)

Round 1B 2pm - 16 slots
Final Round 4pm - Best-of from Round 1

RULES: Same as it ever was. Standard play, no items. Best out of five matches moves on.

Special Notes:
Be on the look out for games of Mario Kart with Enforcers
Pokemon meet-up times: Fri @ 5pm and Sat @ 4pm
DQ9 meet-up times: Fri @ 5:30pm and Sat/Sun @ 2pm
TWEWY meet-up times: Fri/Sat @ 4:30pm

If you have any questions or comments, voice em.
DFTBA

Scoots on

• kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    so, being that this would be my first pax/tournament, etc, i have two questions:

a) i can only assume these tournaments are being held in the handheld lounge. am i correct?

b) are there physical prizes, or just a chance to know that you kick butt enough to be a winner?

thanks much!

kid_nyc on
  • ScootsScoots HandHeld Lounge Manager SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A) Correct! They will be in the Handheld Lounge. Bonus? This year there's no worry of going to the wrong lounge.

B) All PAX tournaments have fancy medals for the winners. You of course get bragging rights as well :)

EDIT: Updated the OP with poke meet times

Scoots on
  • darren66darren66 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Scoots wrote: »
    A) Correct! They will be in the Handheld Lounge. Bonus? This year there's no worry of going to the wrong lounge.

B) All PAX tournaments have fancy medals for the winners. You of course get bragging rights as well :)

EDIT: Updated the OP with poke meet times

I never got a fancy medal for winning Puzzle Quest in 2009. *sad face*

Hopefully I can rectify with a PQ2 victoly in 2011???

darren66 on
    Wii U sucks, but my NNID is da66en. Steam is route66. 3DS is 2938-8099-8160.
    Neo Geo Big Red owners club.
    2009 PAX Puzzle Quest Champion
    I have beat Rygar on the NES and many of you have not.
    edited March 2011
    DATE: Friday March 11 GAME: Puzzle Quest 2 (DS)

Round 1B 3pm - 16 slots

RULES: Tournament Mode: Pick any four monsters from the full roster to use against your opponent. (If you're not familiar, it's sort of like a Pokemon battle, only you don't train your team)

I don't think the DS version has this tournament mode, wasn't it XBLA only?

darren66 on
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was really hoping Mario Kart DS would make a comeback so I could get revenge and get first place D:

TheAggroCraig on
  • kid_nyckid_nyc Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    thanks for the info!

one more question: how fan in advanced should we sign up? say, i wanted to do a noon game, do i need to arrive a bit before noon or can i sign up earlier, do some other stuff, then come back?

thanks!

kid_nyc on
  • GausGaus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kid_nyc wrote: »
    thanks for the info!

one more question: how fan in advanced should we sign up? say, i wanted to do a noon game, do i need to arrive a bit before noon or can i sign up earlier, do some other stuff, then come back?

thanks!

I would try to sign up for any tournaments as soon as you get there. ( like, Friday ) Some tournaments fill up right away even though they take place on Saturday or Sunday.

It might not be the case, but I wouldn't take any chances.

Gaus on
    Professional assassination. It's the highest form of public service. - Chiun
    edited March 2011
    BUMP! meet-up times have been updated. still no word from twewy folks.

We usually have tourney sign ups the day of. But, if you think you will forget or something and ask really nicely, we'll let you sign up earlier.

If you re-read the OP, you will see that Mario Kart is not forgotten! There shall be pick-up games I assure you. No fancy medals for them though.

HAI DARREN
    you've caught me. This is still up in the air. It may revert back to ds with other rules.

Scoots on
  • zarvokzarvok Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We usually have tourney sign ups the day of. But, if you think you will forget or something and ask really nicely, we'll let you sign up earlier.

This is my first PAX, but I'm very excited for some of these tourneys. How do we register? Will there be a desk in the handheld lounge for this purpose, or something?

zarvok on
    edited March 2011
    Yepyep! We just have one desk at HH so all you need to do is come find us on level 1 and ask for the sign-up sheet :)

If you're thinking about tourneys for other areas as well, just make sure you check their threads or stop by their HQ's when you get to PAX. Other departments have different methods and we don't want you to miss out.

Scoots on
    edited March 2011
    BUMP/EDIT:

We're getting closer to the big day!

I added in the possible/probable TWEWY meet-up times and made a note in the OP about the big "IF" for Puzzle Quest 2.

Scoots on
  • mariomaster777mariomaster777 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I was really hoping Mario Kart DS would make a comeback so I could get revenge and get first place D:

I couldn't agree more. We should make this happen. Pick up games are nice, but a tournament would be better. :)

mariomaster777 on
    edited March 2011
    made a note in the OP about the big "IF" for Puzzle Quest 2.

Argh, I just grinded out a lvl50 char...

darren66 on
    edited March 2011
    don't worry, we'll still have Puzzle Quest 2, the "IF" is a matter of it being on DS vs Tourney Mode on xbla.

Logistics are fun!

Scoots on
    edited March 2011
    don't worry, we'll still have Puzzle Quest 2, the "IF" is a matter of it being on DS vs Tourney Mode on xbla.

Logistics are fun!

So, there's going to be an XBOX in the Handheld Lounge? That is so.... Wrong. :rotate:

Still.... Level 50! The single player game is so boring, too.

darren66 on
    edited March 2011
    darren66 wrote: »

Logistics are fun!

So, there's going to be an XBOX in the Handheld Lounge? That is so.... Wrong. :rotate:

Still.... Level 50! The single player game is so boring, too.

It's looking more and more like the xbla version won't be happening. We would need a lot more consoles and tv's then there are to go around. Y'all will know sometime tomorrow for sure :)

I don't know about any of you, but I am sure as hell ready to game for a weekend. (with some finals studying too... maybe)

Scoots on
    edited March 2011
    Rules for the Puzzle Quest 2 tournament have been updated!

See everyone Friday :)

Scoots on
  • superjoesuperjoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I guess I should let everyone know that I'll be winning the Tetris DS tournament.

I mean, it seems like the polite thing to do.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • b0wserb0wser PAX HHL Deputy Manager CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    superjoe wrote: »
    I guess I should let everyone know that I'll be winning the Tetris DS tournament.

I mean, it seems like the polite thing to do.

There was a girl touting her abilities in the exact same manner at Prime 2010.

She lost in the second round.

b0wser on
    edited March 2011
    Oh, I'll be touting my abilities, all right :winky:

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
    edited March 2011
    While waiting to board at PHL:

1w2o.jpg

Consider the gauntlet thrown.

superjoe on
    IlOZ6.png
  • It's not a tumorIt's not a tumor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hrmm. I'll have to make sure I packed my Tekken 6 disc. . .

It's not a tumor on
  • DesixDesix Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    If we forgot to bring our copy of tetris can we still sign up? :(

Desix on
    edited March 2011
    Desix wrote: »
    If we forgot to bring our copy of tetris can we still sign up? :(

Tetris carts are veeeeery limited as far as freeplay copies go. It's usually first come first serve. Once I know how many we have, I'll write it down on the sign up sheet.

Scoots on