As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

First time to PAX East? - Stuff I wish I had known

• DrogithDrogith She who runneth the BYOC Pittsfield, NHRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This will be my first time attending PAX or any con for that matter. I was curious about the sponsors, what kind of presence do they usually have there? I want to network for the local NE SC2 League, but don't want to be shunned away by people that are just there to sell their goods.

Drogith on
    yx1i87m92tky.png

• luceklucek Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I cannot agree more with the recommendation to wear a dual-strapped backpack. I took a duffel bag to PAX Prime and was in a lot of pain because of it. The pain was totally worth the fun of PAX, but there's no point in suffering if you can go in with the wisdom to bring a better bag :)

A duffel bag was a very bad decision. But a comfortable messenger bag is fine. I'm probably going to bring my Halo bag if not it and a backpack. Having things like a camera, business card, or pencil and pen at arms reach is a good thing on the other hand if you get 20lb+ of swag and souvenirs it starts to weigh you down.

Oh one more option most over look, a utility belt. OK Most people would say that's the dorkiest thing you can wear or at least one step above a fanny-pack but they do work and it's a good place to store some things.

lucek on
  • EnfarineEnfarine Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Thank you for all of the helpful pointers mentioned in this thread. It's not only my first time to PAX East, it's my first time to anything like this. I'm really looking forward to it and cannot wait! :)

Enfarine on
  • emf715emf715 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lucek wrote: »
    ....Oh one more option most over look, a utility belt. OK Most people would say that's the dorkiest thing you can wear....

My gut tells me, at PAX, a utility belt is not the dorkiest thing you can wear. ;)

emf715 on
  • slamonellaslamonella Clue-by-Four Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    emf715 wrote: »
    My gut tells me, at PAX, a utility belt is not the dorkiest thing you can wear. ;)
    Only if you're dressed as Batman at the time. Otherwise? Mayor of Dorktown. ;)

slamonella on
    Some people are like Slinkies. They have no practical use whatsoever,
    but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.
    edited February 2011
    emf715 wrote: »
    ....Oh one more option most over look, a utility belt. OK Most people would say that's the dorkiest thing you can wear....

You may want to retract that before the People Who Write Erotic Versions of Star Trek Where All The Characters Are Furries, Iike Kirk is an Ocelot or Something, and They Put a Furry Version of Themselves as the Star Role of the Story, take offense.
    The-Utility-Belt.jpg
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTNJfz1vtspeyfvni02pvatqGXVwb4XzFyISPU2ZbNyfxyIdjnM&t=1

lucek on
  • ArcadiaExeterArcadiaExeter Boston MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    im going to be wearing my 5.11 tactical pants because it has a ton of pockets and they are over sized (ok i wear them every day but thats still why).

i also bought an accessory pack for my DSXL that will be hanging from the D-ring that is also on said pants.

i should be thoroughly geared up.

ArcadiaExeter on
    7US7VWW.png
  • 61Ranchero61Ranchero Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Maybe it's just me but I only store light items in cargo pants, at least in the thigh pockets. Heavier items have a tendency to slap.

I much prefer a backpack. You just gotta be mindful of the extra space you're taking up when moving through a crowd.

61Ranchero on
    edited February 2011
    Oh a reminder. When you get to your hotel room, put your luggage into the tub, take the sheets off the bed and look for red/brown spots. If you find some your bed is infested by bed bugs and don't put any of your cloths on it or the carpet.

lucek on
  • ParmaynuParmaynu Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Oh a reminder. When you get to your hotel room, put your luggage into the tub, take the sheets off the bed and look for red/brown spots. If you find some your bed is infested by bed bugs and don't put any of your cloths on it or the carpet.

Immediately started itching when I read this. Good advice though.

Parmaynu on
    PAX East 2011 Pokecrawl Team Red Group A
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • gljvdgljvd Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    http://www.restaurant.com/index.asp?pgn=home

I use this by my house and when i go away on vacation. Its great if you want to try new places when your out some where. I get gift cards for $5 or less that are equal to $25 value. Each resturant has its own rules on how you can use them. Its pretty standard that it will be $25 off a purchase of $35 or more and gratuity is added on the original price not the discounted price.

They often do sales where you can get a $25 gift cart for $2-4 bucks also.

gljvd on
  • KrisstaKrissta New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    gljvd wrote: »

I use this by my house and when i go away on vacation. Its great if you want to try new places when your out some where. I get gift cards for $5 or less that are equal to $25 value. Each resturant has its own rules on how you can use them. Its pretty standard that it will be $25 off a purchase of $35 or more and gratuity is added on the original price not the discounted price.

Awesome idea! The only thing you have to be careful of (this always gets me) is that a lot of times they limit you on when you can use them (Monday through Thursday only). I hate this. I got burned a few times from this. :(

Krissta on
    Ln5yLL7.png
    edited February 2011
    Krissta wrote: »

Awesome idea! The only thing you have to be careful of (this always gets me) is that a lot of times they limit you on when you can use them (Monday through Thursday only). I hate this. I got burned a few times from this. :(

yea the ones i found in boston don't list that limitation. But hey right now its 80% off so $25 gift cards for $2 bucks isn't bad at all !

gljvd on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There is a nice PAX Primer available on Metagame Theory. Good podcast too btw.

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Wait... Is this really something I should be concerned about? :shock:

DJ Lushious on
  • LimondLimond Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    You can always call the Hotel and ask if they have bed bugs, if not the last time they had a check for bed bugs.

Limond on
    One clip, one kill.

I am a monster truck that walks like a man.
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    lucek's advice is just going to increase your odds of bathtub bugs, which are 10 times worse than bed bugs.

wonderpug on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bed Bug Reports - Boston

Found it in a Google search. User generated content so take it as you will.

Fuck I HATE bedbugs.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
    edited February 2011
    Wait... Is this really something I should be concerned about? :shock:

It's a small risk but checking isn't that much trouble. It's just important to understand that the current bedbug epidemic is from hotels and the like where someone who has a few on their cloths or their person checks in and then when they leave the bed is infested.

Consider this. If the odds are 1/10,000 (not a actual figure) then a few people going to PAX east will bring them home. Then it cost quite a bit to exterminate them. compare that to just spending a few minutes to check.

lucek on
  • DeciusDecius I'm old! I'm fat! I'M BLUE!Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Luckily most hotels are very aware of the problem, both physical and PR. Hotels are concrete buildings for the most part, so a bedbug infestation is limited to an individual room and easily dealt with.

Looking at the star ratings for most of the hotels being used by PAX, I would imagine they do regular checks for the little fuckers, and if an infestation is found it is dealt with, with extreme prejudice.

I fucking hate bedbugs.

Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • MoccawaiiMoccawaii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Decius wrote: »
    Luckily most hotels are very aware of the problem, both physical and PR. Hotels are concrete buildings for the most part, so a bedbug infestation is limited to an individual room and easily dealt with.

Looking at the star ratings for most of the hotels being used by PAX, I would imagine they do regular checks for the little fuckers, and if an infestation is found it is dealt with, with extreme prejudice.

I fucking hate bedbugs.

UGH, now I'm totally freaked out again. Never had them, but my friend has.

I'm bringing a "bedbug-proof" bag as my travel suitcase thing, and the hotel I'm staying at hasn't had any reports yet. I just want a nice stay. Will be checking he mattresses upon arrival for sure.

There are websites to check for reports on these kinds of things. >_< :shock:

Moccawaii on
    :!!: My info is in a spoiler 'cause I wrote so much.
    Made you look. :wink:<3
  • DJ LushiousDJ Lushious Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bed Bug Reports - Boston

Fuck I HATE bedbugs.
    See, I don't want to be like Decius, where I have a frame of reference for which to hate the things.

DJ Lushious on
  • ironysparklesironysparkles Lowell, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bed Bug Reports - Boston

Fuck I HATE bedbugs.
    See, I don't want to be like Decius, where I have a frame of reference for which to hate the things.

This. I've never seen or had bedbugs, but I think I'd rather keep it that way. I would have never thought of it if I hadn't checked this thread! But thankfully the hotel we're staying at doesn't seem to have had any reports yet...

ironysparkles on
    UyhWici.png
  • MoccawaiiMoccawaii Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bed Bug Reports - Boston

Fuck I HATE bedbugs.

This. I've never seen or had bedbugs, but I think I'd rather keep it that way. I would have never thought of it if I hadn't checked this thread! But thankfully the hotel we're staying at doesn't seem to have had any reports yet...

Same, but always remember to prepare just in case! Travelling is the #1 reason people get them, so if you can bedbug-proof your suitcase, do it! It's nice to come home and not worry right after your vacation, y'know? ;3

Moccawaii on
    :!!: My info is in a spoiler 'cause I wrote so much.
    Made you look. :wink:<3
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moccawaii wrote: »
    Bed Bug Reports - Boston

Fuck I HATE bedbugs.

Same, but always remember to prepare just in case! Travelling is the #1 reason people get them, so if you can bedbug-proof your suitcase, do it! It's nice to come home and not worry right after your vacation, y'know? ;3

Man, you guys were all scaring the shit of me as I read through this. Thankfully there is nothing reported from the Park Plaza Hotel & Tower.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Got Haggis?Got Haggis? Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    my hotel has a report of bed bugs back in november...wonderful

Got Haggis? on
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Any reports for the Westin Waterfront?

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• LollerskateDJLollerskateDJ Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I checked the bedbug reports site and Westin Waterfront has had no issues. http://www.bedbugreports.com/details/208718 ;-)

LollerskateDJ on
    PAX EAST 2012 Status: [X] Confirmed for East [X] Badges [X]Money
    PAX East 2012 Shape-a-thon--Team Twitter Spam [LITE] -- Thinspiration!
    OMG Follow me! @LollerskateDJ
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

I checked the bedbug reports site and Westin Waterfront has had no issues. http://www.bedbugreports.com/details/208718 ;-)

Thanks much for my sanity.

FoggyKnight on
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Frugus, Saly, and others, great stuff. This is my first PAX and I tend to be one to try to be prepared for anything.

Probably won't see you on the roads out of Canada, Frugus, but if you're looking for a game in the tabletop area, I'll gladly run/play something there.

BeerNgaming on
    edited March 2011
    If you guys are worreid about bed bugs this is what i'd do.

1) Spray your room with lysol . Phones , pillows everything , check under the covers and under the matress and spray .

2) Spray your dirty clothes and put them in a clear plastic bag

3) Spray your luggage before you leave.

4) When you get home keep everything outside in the clear plastic bag , sunlight kills these suckers.

5) As soon as you can put clothes into your drier and keep your luggage outside in the sun and spray it down a few times. I'd do a high heat wash and then the dryer.

Lysol will only kill the bugs it comes in contact with , it wont keep killing.

I'd check out this

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/bed-bug-travel/

and

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/bed-bug-carpet/

I do all this and haven't gotten bed bugs. I might be lucky but i've been to about 30 diffrent citys in the last two years and haven't had ap roblem. Better safe than sorry

gljvd on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Frugus, Saly, and others, great stuff. This is my first PAX and I tend to be one to try to be prepared for anything.

Probably won't see you on the roads out of Canada, Frugus, but if you're looking for a game in the tabletop area, I'll gladly run/play something there.

Thank you very much BeerNgaming! I'll definitely be spending some time in that area and will be up for anything. Feel free to look me up and ask if we cross paths! In fact my only problem right now (which is a nice problem to have) is that I'm wondering exactly how I will approach people I don't know and ask to play games I barely know anything about.

I figure that I could at least read up on some online manuals for games I have a fair interest in. That should help break some levels of ice and help things to proceed a little bit more quickly.

Already know about: Ticket to Ride, Carcasonne, Zombie Dice, Chtulu dice.

Want to learn about : Magic the Gathering (actually that's already well on it's way), Catan and Arkham Horror.

Besides, with all the traveling, I won't have an excuse to kill time and read up :)

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • Certain.shade.of.greenCertain.shade.of.green Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This is why the harborside inn is the best deal in Boston. It's clean, small, and right dead center in the middle of everything. That's before you factor in that it is generally 75 dollars cheaper a night than the surrounding places.

I would have been slightly concerned that the bedbug site didn't list it but I've stayed a bunch of times issue free.

Certain.shade.of.green on
    edited March 2011
    If you guys are worreid about bed bugs this is what i'd do.

1) Spray your room with lysol . Phones , pillows everything , check under the covers and under the matress and spray .

2) Spray your dirty clothes and put them in a clear plastic bag

3) Spray your luggage before you leave.

4) When you get home keep everything outside in the clear plastic bag , sunlight kills these suckers.

5) As soon as you can put clothes into your drier and keep your luggage outside in the sun and spray it down a few times. I'd do a high heat wash and then the dryer.

Lysol will only kill the bugs it comes in contact with , it wont keep killing.

I'd check out this

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/bed-bug-travel/

and

http://www.ecosmart.com/products/bed-bug-carpet/

I do all this and haven't gotten bed bugs. I might be lucky but i've been to about 30 diffrent citys in the last two years and haven't had ap roblem. Better safe than sorry
    Just for note the lysol and sunlight aren't that effective. The only non professional way to 100% kill bedbugs is heat treatment. Expose them to heat over 110°f (45°C) for 30 minutes or 90°f(30°c) for 2hours. The other option is to freeze them. Bedbugs can't survive long at 55°f (10°C) but below freezing is better. this is a good and easy option for people experiencing the winter chill right now leave you're luggage in a uninsulated garage or somewhere else that can get that cold.

That said best option is not to get them in the first place.

I refer you back to my original post on the mater.

lucek on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I may be setting myself up for a future of bedbug infested hotel visits, but I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion a wee bit. :)

wonderpug on
  • TuftTuft Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »
    I may be setting myself up for a future of bedbug infested hotel visits, but I think you guys are blowing this out of proportion a wee bit. :)

It's an itchy gross armaggedon! ;)

The freezing solution seems easy enough though I have to agree, I don't think it'll be an issue.

Hide yo clothes, hide yo luggage, they biting erryone out here.

Tuft on
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    In fact my only problem right now (which is a nice problem to have) is that I'm wondering exactly how I will approach people I don't know and ask to play games I barely know anything about.

Having never been to PAX before, I have no idea how the tabletop area is going to work. Do you know if there is a sign-up list for things? If not, it would seem easy enough to bring one and stick it up in an obvious spot.

I also hit on the idea of posting up what games I'm interested in running/playing, and a way to contact me.

BeerNgaming on
    edited March 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    In fact my only problem right now (which is a nice problem to have) is that I'm wondering exactly how I will approach people I don't know and ask to play games I barely know anything about.

Having never been to PAX before, I have no idea how the tabletop area is going to work. Do you know if there is a sign-up list for things? If not, it would seem easy enough to bring one and stick it up in an obvious spot.

I also hit on the idea of posting up what games I'm interested in running/playing, and a way to contact me.

Wizards is running games with lines. However most games are going to ether be spontaneous or sign up over on this thread. If you want to post a list of games you want to run/look for games you want to play that's the place to do it.

lucek on
    edited March 2011
    wonderpug wrote: »

As said before it's a small risk. How ever the precautions are also small and given the odds and the number of people attending PAX a few of us could end up with an infested room. OK so you may not be 1 out of 5 in 70,000 that's unlucky but if you are this information is invaluable.

lucek on
    edited March 2011
    Wizards is running games with lines. However most games are going to ether be spontaneous or sign up over on this thread. If you want to post a list of games you want to run/look for games you want to play that's the place to do it.

Perfect. I was wondering about that. Thanks.

BeerNgaming on