Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East 2011 - OP Updated

2»

Posts

  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'd be up for writing something for the PAX Survival list over the weekend. It would be a toned down version of the wall of text I wrote a while back about what I learned from going to PAX East last year (was my first time).

    Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Frugus wrote: »
    I'd be up for writing something for the PAX Survival list over the weekend. It would be a toned down version of the wall of text I wrote a while back about what I learned from going to PAX East last year (was my first time).

    That would be awesome. Your post is what made me think of that and I was gonna try to gather ideas from it but I'd rather have the OP do it. :)
    euicho wrote: »
    Awesome. I'm fine with linking to Yelp, why reinvent the wheel after all.

    Any chance my account can be set so I don't have to answer a math question every time I edit? :)

    Are cookies not keeping you signed in? We had a huge problem with spam so I had to do the math question thing and some other spam prevention.

    Rdr on
  • euichoeuicho MaineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    Are cookies not keeping you signed in? We had a huge problem with spam so I had to do the math question thing and some other spam prevention.

    Yeah I'm staying signed but it still asks me the math question after I hit save. :(

    However, if that's what it takes to keep the spam off it's no biggie.

    euicho on
    Pinny Pal Profile | PAX East '10,-'15
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    euicho wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    Are cookies not keeping you signed in? We had a huge problem with spam so I had to do the math question thing and some other spam prevention.

    Yeah I'm staying signed but it still asks me the math question after I hit save. :(

    Oh ok. Yeah I try to tinker with the spam settings for that mod tonight but definitely tomorrow.

    Also you might want to pm arsonisfun when doing anything with his restaurant pages. I think he has a plan for them in his head but hasn't fully executed it yet.

    Thanks again for the help.

    Rdr on
  • euichoeuicho MaineRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Also you might want to pm arsonisfun when doing anything with his restaurant pages. I think he has a plan for them in his head but hasn't fully executed it yet.

    Okay will do.
    Thanks again for the help.

    No prob, glad to help!

    euicho on
    Pinny Pal Profile | PAX East '10,-'15
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    juju wrote: »
    arsonisfun wrote: »
    heya

    made an accout for the wiki, I'm guessing I'll need access granted to create/modify pages.

    I should be able to get the framework of restaurant listings up in a week or two, then I'll slowly flesh it out.

    I am down for adding some help for restos. Will you be sorting by type or distance from the convention center?

    There is a section for stuff near BCEC and then a catch-all for Boston which I was breaking down by type. My rough plan is to link each restaurant to it's Yelp page since there is stupid amounts of info there already. I'm mostly just picking places I think are good. I've lived here for 10 years and I'm a serious eater so I should have a solid base, but any help is of course welcome :)

    Made some edits thus far to the restaurants page...I broke down each major section into neighborhoods. Most links are to the restaurant's websites themselves...some to the yelp pages.

    Probably will be making some more over the course of the week, there's a lot to add!

    trinistand on
  • gigabraingigabrain Some guy...yknow New HampshireRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    for the restaurants, maybe mention Boston Beer Works? They've got locations next to Fenway Park and on Canal Street near the Garden. Great food, brews their own beers. On any given night they've got between 8-12 different beers on tap.

    gigabrain on
    fclLCwN.png

    Twitter
    3DS Friend Code: 3926-5491-9247
  • LovattLovatt Registered User
    edited February 2011
    Hey there, just wanted to say thanks very much for putting this together!

    This year will be my first time at any PAX and my first time visiting Boston, so I'm very much looking forward to it. Your work on this wiki will surely help a ton of people out! Thank you in particular for the vegetarian/vegan category in the restaurant section.

    Lovatt on
    I'd like to hear some music now. Preferably the Bucharest Symphony Orchestra in chorus, performing Ligeti's Requiem, which should be played on a cassette machine with flat batteries. Start the tape now, please. ...Thanks.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Pushing the stable release back a week. This will give us time to get more of the restaurant stuff complete.

    Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hoping I can take care of some more of it tonight.

    I'm not especially good with vegan/vegetarian selections in Boston other than a couple places and I'm not too familiar with Southie either. But I'll see what I can do :)

    trinistand on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I just dumped a bunch more stuff into the restaurants sections. I filled out the BCEC local stuff as best I could and then added two more sections to the main restaurants page.

    So the only thing that probably could use help is food marts, grocery stores, convenience store lists.

    Phew!

    trinistand on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    trinistand wrote: »
    I just dumped a bunch more stuff into the restaurants sections. I filled out the BCEC local stuff as best I could and then added two more sections to the main restaurants page.

    So the only thing that probably could use help is food marts, grocery stores, convenience store lists.

    Phew!

    Thanks man! I know me and arson really appreciate your work.

    He and I work way too many hours at work. Another 55-70 hour work week for me. :(

    Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    trinistand wrote: »
    I just dumped a bunch more stuff into the restaurants sections. I filled out the BCEC local stuff as best I could and then added two more sections to the main restaurants page.

    So the only thing that probably could use help is food marts, grocery stores, convenience store lists.

    Phew!

    Thanks man! I know me and arson really appreciate your work.

    He and I work way too many hours at work. Another 55-70 hour work week for me. :(

    No problem. If you couldn't tell already I love this stuff. I figured I might as well strike while the iron was hot :)

    Glad to help out! I tried to list as many places I knew as I could, whether I liked them or not. I figure if anyone's curious, they'll ask!

    trinistand on
  • arsonisfunarsonisfun Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    trinistand wrote: »
    I just dumped a bunch more stuff into the restaurants sections. I filled out the BCEC local stuff as best I could and then added two more sections to the main restaurants page.

    So the only thing that probably could use help is food marts, grocery stores, convenience store lists.

    Phew!

    Thanks man! I know me and arson really appreciate your work.

    He and I work way too many hours at work. Another 55-70 hour work week for me. :(

    ugh. have I slowly gone insane from work and lack of sleep and you're actually my alternate personality?

    solidarity sir *raises beer*

    arsonisfun on
    I am IRCs resident nerdbro and member of the PokeCrawl planning committee.

    Red B/Gold Professor

    [15:53] <+juju-work> ArsonIsFun is one of the best people I know.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    haha this bromance is firce

    Rdr on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Sorry for not putting up the text yet as I said/swore I would/could. Things have been very fierce since then and I constantly have realistic hopes of getting on it.

    Well at least the text was delivered on time :(

    Going to give it another shot this evening.

    Just fixed this yesterday morning :)

    Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Finishing up the stable release tonight/tomorrow. Here is a list of things need to be done:

    Info on Freedom Trail
    MMT stuffs as soon as punzie finalizes the schedule
    What do to at 2am
    Make links to restaurants go to yelp pages
    Import an awesome guide on parking near BCEC
    Make text only document of the guide
    Make original post of this thread reflect the guide

    I might look into seeing how to make pdf files this weekend.

    I took out some pages from this year's guide and they'll definitely be back next year. Things like directions to BCEC/PAX Hotels/Directions from hotels to BCEC. I think people know this information and its just low priority. I wanted to do something awesome with the PAX Hotels page but just don't have the time.

    This guide will continue to evolve and add pages and sections to it so I'm not worried about getting it 100% this year. I think it has a ton of information as-is and would be a great benefit to anyone reading it.

    Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Would you rather have the Yelp page linked instead of the restaurant's page? In some cases I listed both.

    I figure to remove some clutter, maybe just the yelp link would be enough since if a restaurant has a website it'll be linked on Yelp as well.

    Not sure how urgent this is but if I have time this week, I'll get to it.

    trinistand on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    trinistand wrote: »
    Would you rather have the Yelp page linked instead of the restaurant's page? In some cases I listed both.

    I figure to remove some clutter, maybe just the yelp link would be enough since if a restaurant has a website it'll be linked on Yelp as well.

    Not sure how urgent this is but if I have time this week, I'll get to it.

    Ya I think its just easier to link to the yelp page and if the restaurant has a webpage it'll be on the yelp page as you said. This week sounds good and if I have free time I might end up doing it. Either way works :)

    Rdr on
  • feitocomfrutafeitocomfruta Denver, Colorado, USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    I might look into seeing how to make pdf files this weekend.

    That's easy. If you have Word 2007, you can save the document as a PDF or XPS (you may need to go onto the MS website to get a driver, but it should be easy, and free). For all other file formats, you can get BullZip PDF printer online for free. It installs as a Printer, so you literally have to select Print and then select it as the printer you want to use. It then comes up with a screen asking you where you want to save the file as, and then it will make it a PDF.

    If you have an Apple computer, then you'll probably have to do a google search, but it will pull up a few good ones.

    feitocomfruta on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    I might look into seeing how to make pdf files this weekend.

    That's easy. If you have Word 2007, you can save the document as a PDF or XPS (you may need to go onto the MS website to get a driver, but it should be easy, and free). For all other file formats, you can get BullZip PDF printer online for free. It installs as a Printer, so you literally have to select Print and then select it as the printer you want to use. It then comes up with a screen asking you where you want to save the file as, and then it will make it a PDF.

    If you have an Apple computer, then you'll probably have to do a google search, but it will pull up a few good ones.

    Nice, thanks.

    Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    trinistand wrote: »
    Would you rather have the Yelp page linked instead of the restaurant's page? In some cases I listed both.

    I figure to remove some clutter, maybe just the yelp link would be enough since if a restaurant has a website it'll be linked on Yelp as well.

    Not sure how urgent this is but if I have time this week, I'll get to it.

    Ya I think its just easier to link to the yelp page and if the restaurant has a webpage it'll be on the yelp page as you said. This week sounds good and if I have free time I might end up doing it. Either way works :)

    Done.

    trinistand on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    trinistand wrote: »
    Rdr wrote: »
    trinistand wrote: »
    Would you rather have the Yelp page linked instead of the restaurant's page? In some cases I listed both.

    I figure to remove some clutter, maybe just the yelp link would be enough since if a restaurant has a website it'll be linked on Yelp as well.

    Not sure how urgent this is but if I have time this week, I'll get to it.

    Ya I think its just easier to link to the yelp page and if the restaurant has a webpage it'll be on the yelp page as you said. This week sounds good and if I have free time I might end up doing it. Either way works :)

    Done.

    That just made my day. Thanks. :)

    Rdr on
  • trinistandtrinistand Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just an fyi but the wiki is getting an awful lot of spam posts about auto insurance and exercise :P

    trinistand on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    trinistand wrote: »
    Just an fyi but the wiki is getting an awful lot of spam posts about auto insurance and exercise :P

    Damn spammers..its neverending. That's the first spam the wiki has had in months.

    Rdr on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've locked down the wiki to where only admins can work on the wiki.

    I've already added the current contributors to the admin group.

    I've tried several ways to stop spam and they just keep finding new ways.

    Rdr on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    So, Snappy pointed me to the guide, and then to this thread, because I found one very important bit of information missing:

    The MBTA stops running after 1 AM, and its buses and trains start their final voyages between Midnight and 1 AM. PAX runs until 2 AM which can mean being stranded for people who don't know this and plan ahead.

    Also, the MBTA page still has information about the Hynes Convention Center and only a little about the new place we're headed this year, the BCEC.

    ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »
    So, Snappy pointed me to the guide, and then to this thread, because I found one very important bit of information missing:

    The MBTA stops running after 1 AM, and its buses and trains start their final voyages between Midnight and 1 AM. PAX runs until 2 AM which can mean being stranded for people who don't know this and plan ahead.

    Also, the MBTA page still has information about the Hynes Convention Center and only a little about the new place we're headed this year, the BCEC.

    It's funny how Mayor Menino ("Mumbles") loves to tout Boston as a world-class city, yet our public transit stops at ~12:15am...

    It's also funny how the MBTA site considers the Silver Line part of the "Subway" system when it's basically a glorified bus.

    On a more serious note, SL1 and SL2 are the only Silver Line buses that run by the World Trade Center (since the BCEC can't even get its own stop...).

    SL1's last pickup at WTC (on both weekdays and weekends) is ~12:34am. SL1 is the one that goes to the airport then South Station, so you wouldn't get to South Station until ~1:10am. You could walk to South Station before the bus gets there.

    SL2's last *inbound* bus to South Station is at ~12:30am on weekdays and ~12:35am on weekends. This one gets you to South Station faster as its only stop is the federal courthouse before going to SS.

    Either way, you'll most likely have missed the last Red Line train from South Station by the time you get there. I hope the PAX folks are planning on keeping lots of taxis outside the BCEC.

    Tennberg on
  • ebotasticebotastic Going Gonzo In People's HeartsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tennberg wrote: »
    ebotastic wrote: »
    So, Snappy pointed me to the guide, and then to this thread, because I found one very important bit of information missing:

    The MBTA stops running after 1 AM, and its buses and trains start their final voyages between Midnight and 1 AM. PAX runs until 2 AM which can mean being stranded for people who don't know this and plan ahead.

    Also, the MBTA page still has information about the Hynes Convention Center and only a little about the new place we're headed this year, the BCEC.

    It's funny how Mayor Menino ("Mumbles") loves to tout Boston as a world-class city, yet our public transit stops at ~12:15am...

    As my brother would kindly point out, Mumbles was actually talking about "Barfston" and not Boston. You can see how people would be confused, as he's our mayor and what not.

    ebotastic on
    Please, call me ebo.
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »
    So, Snappy pointed me to the guide, and then to this thread, because I found one very important bit of information missing:

    The MBTA stops running after 1 AM, and its buses and trains start their final voyages between Midnight and 1 AM. PAX runs until 2 AM which can mean being stranded for people who don't know this and plan ahead.

    Also, the MBTA page still has information about the Hynes Convention Center and only a little about the new place we're headed this year, the BCEC.

    Indeed. There's a page that hasn't been created yet: http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=What_to_do_at_2AM_When_PAX_Closes

    Ya the MBTA page needs to be updated. I am actually off tomorrow evening and all day Sunday. The guide will be ready for public come Monday. It needs to be so it can be included in the PAX Assistant app.

    If you wish to help you can create an account and I'll grant you rights to edit pages. We can use the help!

    Rdr on
  • TennbergTennberg Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    ebotastic wrote: »
    As my brother would kindly point out, Mumbles was actually talking about "Barfston" and not Boston. You can see how people would be confused, as he's our mayor and what not.

    Actually, he refers to the City of Boston as "Seeya Bahsin". Too bad we'll never hear him say that since he keeps getting re-elected. There's a hilarious Opie and Anthony bit on YouTube about Menino. Look it up and enjoy.

    Tennberg on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Rdr wrote: »
    ebotastic wrote: »
    So, Snappy pointed me to the guide, and then to this thread, because I found one very important bit of information missing:

    The MBTA stops running after 1 AM, and its buses and trains start their final voyages between Midnight and 1 AM. PAX runs until 2 AM which can mean being stranded for people who don't know this and plan ahead.

    Also, the MBTA page still has information about the Hynes Convention Center and only a little about the new place we're headed this year, the BCEC.

    Indeed. There's a page that hasn't been created yet: http://www.hgpaxeast.com/index.php?title=What_to_do_at_2AM_When_PAX_Closes

    Ya the MBTA page needs to be updated. I am actually off tomorrow evening and all day Sunday. The guide will be ready for public come Monday. It needs to be so it can be included in the PAX Assistant app.

    If you wish to help you can create an account and I'll grant you rights to edit pages. We can use the help!

    FYI the PAX Survival Guide makes a decent mention that PAX ends well after public transportation hours and people need to prepare. There are no set hours though, in fact I think those I mentionned were incorrect but earlier.

    Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Guide is almost done for this year. Over the next few days we're going to go over it and look for corrections/typos and then I am going to lock it down and create text/html/pdf versions.

    Thanks to everyone who helped out!

    I feel good about what we have. I think it is a nice base and throughout the year I'll be able to add to it and make it more definitive for 2012.

    Rdr on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm 99% sure the Hitchhiker's Guide to PAX East is done for 2011. I am gonna revive the suggested handhelds page and then finish locking it up where people can't edit it until after PAX East.

    Thanks a lot for everyone who helped. I'll get a list of contributors up in the OP.

    I am going to get the OP fixed up to reflect the guide and then make some html/text/pdf copies of the guide so people can have local copies on their phones or whatnot sometime this week/weekend.

    Rdr on
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OP updated with functional Table of Contents.

    This year's HGtPE is done for 2011. Not everything was completed but this is a good base for 2012.

    Maybe sure to check out the mobile site: http://www.hgpaxeast.com/mobile/

    And go ahead and download Nick Swar's PAX Assistant which will have HGtPE in it soon from here: https://market.android.com/details?id=com.nickswar.paxapp

    Big thanks goes out to ArsonIsFun, Euicho, Frugus, Trinistand and Zerzhul who made HGtPE possible this year.

    Rdr on
  • BeerNgamingBeerNgaming Registered User
    edited March 2011
    Great job Rdr. This is my first PAX and I'm been referencing your guide heavily.

    BeerNgaming on
Sign In or Register to comment.