As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Full Map Released!

ScorpiusScorpius Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in PAX Archive
You can find it here. For comparison, the Expo Hall is still here.

I assume the actual entrance is on level 1 somewhere? I'm looking for a place, not outside, to meet people on Friday Morning before getting in line.

Scorpius on

• Options
    WingedillidanWingedillidan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Some brave probe, SCV, or drone has successfully scurried through the entire map! Thus revealing the entire expo...

(entrance be on level 1)

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There's just one problem: the Level 0 and Level 3 maps are at a different scale than the Level 1 and Level 2 maps, making it hard to tell how far apart things are.

Fetch26291 on
  • Options
    Lugh LamfhadaLugh Lamfhada Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Gah! Why does it always happen that the pannels I want to go to back to back are always so far appart? Oh well. At least its down three flights of stairs instead of up. Thanks for letting us know what to expect.

Lugh Lamfhada on
    Too much paprika.
    Shit! Too much paprika!
    WHY IS THERE SO MUCH VOMIT IN THIS HAT?!
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Gah! Why does it always happen that the pannels I want to go to back to back are always so far appart? Oh well. At least its down three flights of stairs instead of up. Thanks for letting us know what to expect.

Stairs? Where we're going, we don't need stairs... *magical moving platforms GO!*

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    CloudwalkerCloudwalker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Fetch26291 wrote: »
    There's just one problem: the Level 0 and Level 3 maps are at a different scale than the Level 1 and Level 2 maps, making it hard to tell how far apart things are.

Check the BCEC floorplans here. Looks like level 0 is about the same size as levels 1 and 2, and the Main Theatre on level 3 sits more or less above the north lobby area on level 1. Entrance appears to be through that lobby as well.

Cloudwalker on
    Token Scottish guy.

Google+ | Twitter
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Looks like the main theater has it's own queue for the morning? That's kinda nice then we won't be in as huge of a line and have to wait to rush up 3 floors to the main theater.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    David CoffmanDavid Coffman Registered User, PAX Staff regular
    edited February 2011
    Scorpius wrote: »
    I assume the actual entrance is on level 1 somewhere? I'm looking for a place, not outside, to meet people on Friday Morning before getting in line.
    Yep, the main entrances will be the North Lobby and shuttle dropoff points, both on Level 1.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    i am now approximately 87x more excited about pax.

yay!!!

tvethiopia on
    <3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Options
    ThemiscyraThemiscyra Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hmm. I may have to print out the official BCEC map as well...this is nice, but I'm not totally sure of how everything connects -- the main theatre especially.

Themiscyra on
    PAX EAST 2011 Omegathon Finalist - PAX East 2012 Omeganaut
    After time adrift among open stars
    Among tides of light and to shoals of dust
    I will return to where I began
  • Options
    territoiresterritoires Upstate NYRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It's all getting too real.

*freaks out*

territoires on
    I write about games on a few websites.
    Gaming blog
    @lamournumerique
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Themiscyra wrote: »
    Hmm. I may have to print out the official BCEC map as well...this is nice, but I'm not totally sure of how everything connects -- the main theatre especially.

Esclator to main theater is in the north lobby I believe.

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    StrikerObiStrikerObi Tallahassee, FLRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Map looks good. The panel I'm on (Radio Free Nintendo Live) is in the Cat Theatre on Saturday at 10:30AM. I like that we're pretty much the first theatre you can get to from the main entrance, and it's very centrally located. I hope that helps us get a big turnout. We're scheduled against the Make-a-Strip, so I'm a bit worried about turnout. We were scheduled against Wil's keynote last year though, which was probably worse.

It does Seem a bit odd to me that the expo hall queue room and expo hall are divided by the tabletop freeplay room. But whatever, I'm sure there is some master plan that makes sense of it.

Speaking of the queue rooms, does anybody know if the line-entertainment guys from last year are going to be back? That was such a brilliant idea. It made the queue room so much more bearable.

StrikerObi on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Striker,

It was alluded to in the Concerts thread, but not confirmed that Evil Genius Designs/Get In Line Games will be present for the queue room.

My main concern is that I hope the Queue isn't a logistical nightmare like last East, with the potential for line jumpers due to other panels and events occurring on intermediate rooms and floors before reaching the main theater. Enforcers, please don't let this happen, as that was the main thing that sucked for me last East, and I missed most of the Keynote because of it.

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    GundabadGundabad PAX East & Unplugged Tabletop Manager NJRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MJPM wrote: »
    Striker,

It was alluded to in the Concerts thread, but not confirmed that Evil Genius Designs/Get In Line Games will be present for the queue room.

My main concern is that I hope the Queue isn't a logistical nightmare like last East, with the potential for line jumpers due to other panels and events occurring on intermediate rooms and floors before reaching the main theater. Enforcers, please don't let this happen, as that was the main thing that sucked for me last East, and I missed most of the Keynote because of it.

I don't think this will be the case this year. For main theater events, the queue is NOT in the queue room, it is right outside the doors of the main theater. My assumption then would be that the queue room would only be used for morning entrance to the expo hall and maybe a very small handful of other popular non-main-theater events.

Gundabad on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    How would keynote/other morning main theater events queuing work? Would everyone zerg rush the 3rd floor queue to the main theater AFTER being let in during the expo queue? Or would everyone be distributed to their respective lines?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2011
    How would keynote/other morning main theater events queuing work? Would everyone zerg rush the 3rd floor queue to the main theater AFTER being let in during the expo queue? Or would everyone be distributed to their respective lines?

There is space outside the main theater that is set up for queuing. It shows it on the map.

zerzhul on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

There is space outside the main theater that is set up for queuing. It shows it on the map.

Yeah but that doesn't answer the question.. what does one do to get to the morning lines FOR the main theater? In year's past there were 2 lines before PAX opened, one for the Expo Hall and the other for the Main Theater, is this true for this year? Or does everyone have to be processed through one before being able to go into the other?

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    NickTheNewbieNickTheNewbie Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Make sure to check out the Jamspace on level 2!

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    MJPMMJPM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011

Yes, about that. The map shows an icon for Jam Space "areas", with "Freeplay Stage", "Dance Central", "Bandland" and "Jam Space" labeled as such. Are all these maintained by the Magfest guys, with there be a Jam Space setup in Bandland, and what will "Dance Central" be exactly?

MJPM on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig2.jpg
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Dance Central, isn't that the name of the Kinect dancing game?

lillb on
  • Options
    SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    zerzhul wrote: »

Yeah but that doesn't answer the question.. what does one do to get to the morning lines FOR the main theater? In year's past there were 2 lines before PAX opened, one for the Expo Hall and the other for the Main Theater, is this true for this year? Or does everyone have to be processed through one before being able to go into the other?

The PAX East BCEC map says, "Queue Room: Head here in the morning before doors open to hit the exhibit hall first. If your first stop is the Main Theatre, go directly there!"

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    MJPM wrote: »

Yes, about that. The map shows an icon for Jam Space "areas", with "Freeplay Stage", "Dance Central", "Bandland" and "Jam Space" labeled as such. Are all these maintained by the Magfest guys, with there be a Jam Space setup in Bandland, and what will "Dance Central" be exactly?

Jamspace is the only "official" magfest area with the instruments. I think every other guitar icon indicates that there are related musical activities such as rockband and band merch.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    BekerBeker Child's Play Program Director SeattleRegistered User, Penny Arcade Staff regular
    edited February 2011

I believe there is an escalator directly to level 3 and main theater from the North Lobby entrance. So as you come in (before opening hours), if you want main theater, take escalator up to 3, if not, head to queue room. Keep an eye out for enforcers guiding or signs, we want to help you get where your going. Or as the Info Booth is right there in the north lobby, you can always ask there.

Beker on
    -Beker/Erick
    zx6ak2M.png
  • Options
    <Omicron-8643><Omicron-8643> Just outside DC. Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It looks like Jamspace is sharing a wall with the Naga theater. Will there be any issue with sound coming through the walls? The Jamspace is not what one would call "quiet."

<Omicron-8643> on
  • Options
    lillblillb Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm assuming all the theater rooms are well insulated for sound.

lillb on
  • Options
    ArymanAryman Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    It doesn't look like there will be much room for the main theater queue. Better get there early if you want to watch the keynote.

Aryman on
    360/PSN/Steam: Aryman104

Currently playing: MvC3
    Other games: SSF4, Smash Bros Brawl, Pokemon HG, Magicka
  • Options
    KhadourKhadour Dinosaur Cupcake Hillsboro, ORRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Aryman wrote: »
    It doesn't look like there will be much room for the main theater queue. Better get there early if you want to watch the keynote.

Well, according to this, there's almost 20,000 square feet of queue area outside of the ballroom, and the expo queue is in a different location this year. I think it'll probably be plenty, and worst case it would snake down to the level 2 prefunction areas (assuming I'm reading the map right).

Khadour on
    Do unto others 20% better than you would expect them to do unto you, to correct for subjective error - Linus Pauling
    xWDsUaZ.png
    jswidget.php?username=cmdour&numitems=5&header=1&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=right&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1

• Options
    edited February 2011
    Worst case everything will be like the Hynes Convention Center in terms of queues...

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Things are not to scale, and a lot of detail is lost in the interests of keeping things simple. For instance, there's a room that we aren't using which serves as a sound buffer between Jamspace and the theatre.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2011
    Question, Dave, while we have your attention. Where are the doors to the expo hall? Looking at the two maps, I can't figure out where the entryways are.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited February 2011
    There's three main entrances into the expo hall.

1). Through the airwall. At 10:00am each day, traffic will flow from the queue room (B2), through Tabletop (B1) and into the expo hall on the north and south edge of the airwall.

2). Down the escalators. The escalators feed from North Lobby on the first floor, and will likely be the main entrance into the expo hall during normal show hours.

3). There's another entrance in the south east corner that feeds from an awkwardly named "East Registration". That's the building's name, not ours...there will be no registration there.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    SchlockSchlock aka, KoalaBro2 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2011
    Okay, I've got to ask, what kind of crazy paper sizes do the printers at the Penny Arcade offices use? The BCEC map is 18.8" x 8.3" and the Expo map is 21.4" x 8.4". Both are narrow enough for legal sheets, but the Expo map, in particular, is more than 1.5 times the length! Wikipedia turns up no paper sizes, past or present, metric or imperial, that would be that long and narrow. Papyrus scrolls, perhaps? Dot Matrix tractor feed paper?

Sure, sure, I know, shrink it down, but why such odd dimensions?

Schlock on
  • Options
    SmallLadySmallLady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Schlock wrote: »
    Okay, I've got to ask, what kind of crazy paper sizes do the printers at the Penny Arcade offices use? The BCEC map is 18.8" x 8.3" and the Expo map is 21.4" x 8.4". Both are narrow enough for legal sheets, but the Expo map, in particular, is more than 1.5 times the length! Wikipedia turns up no paper sizes, past or present, metric or imperial, that would be that long and narrow. Papyrus scrolls, perhaps? Dot Matrix tractor feed paper?

Probably the middle sheet in the custom printed program. There are print shops that can customize the paper size. :)

SmallLady on
    "we're just doing what smalllady told us to do" - @Heels
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Schlock wrote: »

It's a creative company... they have the creativity to do anything in regards to proper paper-printing dimensioning, don't question the masters. I believe the PAX Prime 2010's expo hall was even CRAZIER... with like 3-segments in an odd-shape formation. This is just a simple rectangle thingy... looks smaller than it should be :/, oh and it spreads across two pages in the rectangular swag book pictured here:
    PAX_swag.jpg

It's the one with Gabe and Tycho fighting, and a fruit fucker... fucking??? And it says PAX 2010 on it.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Winged is correct, they're taken from our program as two page spreads. The world map one is a little shorter because we trimmed some flavor text off the side. Ultimately the paper size for both is two 8.5 x 11 sheets in landscape mode side by side.

David Coffman on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Things are not to scale, and a lot of detail is lost in the interests of keeping things simple. For instance, there's a room that we aren't using which serves as a sound buffer between Jamspace and the theatre.

With any luck, we're going to rock so hard that we'll knock down the walls between the rooms.

NickTheNewbie on
  • Options
    SchlockSchlock aka, KoalaBro2 Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011
    Winged is correct, they're taken from our program as two page spreads. The world map one is a little shorter because we trimmed some flavor text off the side. Ultimately the paper size for both is two 8.5 x 11 sheets in landscape mode side by side.

Gotcha, mystery solved. Well, if anyone else wants to print these on single sheets of paper, I've done some quick and dirty re-arranging in the GIMP to make the maps more or less the right aspect ratio for standard letter paper.
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20753712/bcec_map.png
    http://dl.dropbox.com/u/20753712/expo_map.png

(Yes, the files are big, because I wanted enough DPI for even the small printing to be legible)

Schlock on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Is it me, or does this convention center remind you of the Grim Batol instance from WoW? All we need is fighting dragons in the air and a lava pit below incase you fall off.

Wingedillidan on
    (╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻