As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

MOTW 3-2-11: Let the thanking and chin-chucking begin!

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Graphic Violence
Annihilators #1, everything was good. Great deal, buy it.

In the first story, the last spaceknight comes back to our time for help, and uses a pretty cheap fighting move on Quasar:

annihilators1a.jpg

annihilators1b.jpg

And in the Rocket Raccoon full length story, it's essentially the first half of the Incredibles plus lots of tree puns. And US Ace shows up too, I guess bot being a babysitter didn't bother him that much:

Raccoon returns to Groots homeworld filled with Groots, trying to find our Groot, and surprise twist!!!!

annihilators1c.jpg

annihilators1d.jpg

TexiKen on

• BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thunderbolts was fantastic. All Man-Thing spectacular with aliens riding giant lizards hunting rednecks.

Jeff Parker is a master of the done-in-one.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm guessing that those guys must be going easy on the robot lady

Because usually they would be able to tear a space knight type to pieces.

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    Space Knights are pretty rough dudes and Ikon seems more souped up than a normal one.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    I guess

still

Gladiator

And Quasar wasn't exactly going all out, though he never does

I'm interested to see where that goes, but i have to say I never like it when a new character turns up and is supposed to be better than everyone else. I know that you are going to say "but the Sentry" but I do feel that was difference, because he also had some crippling flaws as well.

But I will definitely read it, and I'm sure it will be great, DnA cosmic and all.

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rom isn't the last Spaceknight? Man, next you're going to tell me that GI Joe isn't the real American hero.

Hensler on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Axe Cop Bad Guy Earth was good, though it seems stretched a bit thin in trying to make his brother's ideas fit a comic.

acbge1a.jpg

acbge1b.jpg

acbge1c.jpg

TexiKen on
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Haha Axe Cop is the shit.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm pretty sure my dad is Axe Cop. Have to get him an issue of that for his birthday.

Hensler on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Secret Six #31; Scandal has a secret, a crazy guy has hot sauce in his eyes, and Ragdoll has monkeys.
    ncb4er.jpg

2gue9zo.jpg

The Intrepids #1; cyber-bears, battle baboons, a wise mentor, and gifted youngsters. This felt like something between an issue of the classic era of Claremont's X-Men, and Umbrella Academy.
    2mrfswz.jpg

X-Factor #216; Mayor Jameson swings by X-Factor Investigations, Layla and Rahne have a talk, and Fingerbang (my name, not PAD's), the sensational character find of 2011, shows up again.
    2hz4akj.jpg

Thunderbolts #154; Man-Thing. Just, Man-Thing.
    1491myc.jpg

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Yay Man Thing!

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    They seriously just need to give Parker a Defenders book and make him write the magic dudes of the MU

Iron Fist, Man-Thing, Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider.

Best team.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Yeah that would be an awesome book

I would read the hell out of that

Solar on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Now that, I would read.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2011
    The hot sauce eye thing made no sense in SS. And on top of Catman's idea of a pound of flesh and King Shark able to procure a jar of eyeballs like they're olives, the team's promotional video was my favorite scene:

ss31a.jpg

ss31b.jpg

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Have I mentioned how much I love King Shark?

I love him a lot.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Blankzilla wrote: »
    They seriously just need to give Parker a Defenders book and make him write the magic dudes of the MU

Iron Fist, Man-Thing, Doctor Strange and Ghost Rider.

Best team.
    I dunno if you read T-Bolts, but this issue ended with a tease showing Doctor Strange will be appearing next issue, to help the team select a magical inmate for the team. Solicitations already spoiled the draftee, but it should be fun.

Also, that Secret Six promotional video immediately made me think of the Formerly Known as Justice League one. Now I really want to see the Secret Six one redrawn to look like that.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    I did, that is partially why I made that post. I love the new Strange and am excited to see what Parker does with him.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    FUCK YEAH THUNDERBOLTS

Antimatter on
  • Igpx407Igpx407 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Surprise comic of the week? Darkwing Duck Annual. It's like I'm five again and everything is awesome.
    DarkwingDuck_ANNUAL_01_CVR_A.jpg

Igpx407 on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God, you're making me feel old. Although I did watch Darkwing because, duh, I am a huge nerd.

Man, "tree-son." That's so dumb it's awesome.

That Man-Thing scene reminds me of why I hate dogs, which is to say it reminds me of my father nearly ripping a Doberman's jaw off before it bit me.

Crimsondude on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just dogpiling on here, but Thunderbolts just continually justifies the money I spend on it. Man-Thing truly is one of the best parts of the new run. He and Ghost need to go start having adventures soon.

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
  • JellySalmonJellySalmon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just dogpiling on here, but Thunderbolts just continually justifies the money I spend on it. Man-Thing truly is one of the best parts of the new run. He and Ghost need to go start having adventures soon.

The most recent issue was basically an issue of Man-Thing (Guest Starring Songbird and Luke Cage from the Thunderbolts!)

I smell spinoff.

JellySalmon on
    What do you say we take a relaxed attitude towards work and watch the baseball game? The nye Mets are my favorite squadron.
  • DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Munch wrote: »
    The Intrepids #1; cyber-bears, battle baboons, a wise mentor, and gifted youngsters. This felt like something between an issue of the classic era of Claremont's X-Men, and Umbrella Academy.

"Umbrella Academy" is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I thought of The Intrepids. I wasn't as gripped as I hoped to be. I didn't dislike it, mind you, I just wasn't sucked it. I'm not sure what it was, exactly. I think the most well-formed criticism I can muster is that I feel like I've seen these characters - and the central concept - before. That seems like a dumb criticism, because fiction is chock-full of similar or outright re-used characters and ideas, and mostly it works out just fine.

Another interesting thing I noticed about my reading is that something about the issue made me think it was supposed to be retro, set decades ago (it may have been the way characters were dressed, but I think mostly it's the art style - for some reason, it makes me think of the 1920's or something like that). For that reason, I was jarred when when I saw computers with WiFi and stuff. Not a flaw, just a thing I thought was interesting.

I'm definitely interested enough in the series to pick up the next couple of issues, to see if it grows on me.

Joe the Barbarian #8 may have been my MOTW. It's also an item of bitching. I feel like the story lost a lot through being serialized. I think it would be excellent when read through in a single sitting, but was frustrating to read in singes (and not just because of the delays). I think I need to read the whole thing start to finish. If it comes out in trade, I would definitely recommend it. I think Morrison said it's intended to be like a modern-day Narnia, but frankly, I think it's a much deeper and more interesting story than Narnia was.

Delduwath on
    edited March 2011
    Delduwath summed up my opinion of Intrepids. It's good, and I'll pick it up for a few more issues to see how it breaks free of some of the more formulaic aspects of it that remind you of doom patrol or x-men. I do like that the characters are much more evened out in the book compared to Gredavin's last story, Beautiful Creatures. I do like the art, it's got something going for it that might look odd at first or in a panel, but it works when reading the book as a whole.

TexiKen on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Delduwath wrote: »
    Munch wrote: »

"Umbrella Academy" is exactly what I was thinking when I was reading it.

I'm still trying to figure out what exactly I thought of The Intrepids. I wasn't as gripped as I hoped to be. I didn't dislike it, mind you, I just wasn't sucked it. I'm not sure what it was, exactly. I think the most well-formed criticism I can muster is that I feel like I've seen these characters - and the central concept - before. That seems like a dumb criticism, because fiction is chock-full of similar or outright re-used characters and ideas, and mostly it works out just fine.

Another interesting thing I noticed about my reading is that something about the issue made me think it was supposed to be retro, set decades ago (it may have been the way characters were dressed, but I think mostly it's the art style - for some reason, it makes me think of the 1920's or something like that). For that reason, I was jarred when when I saw computers with WiFi and stuff. Not a flaw, just a thing I thought was interesting.

I'm definitely interested enough in the series to pick up the next couple of issues, to see if it grows on me.

Thanks for giving the first issue a go. The response to it has been all over the map. Some people love the hell out of it, some are somewhere you're at right now, they aren't sure what they think yet, and some people think it blows. I suppose that's the fun of having your work out for the public, you're going to hear all kinds of nice and nasty things.

I take it all with a grain of salt.

I'm not sure what to tell you for the upcoming issues, but there are some things that will keep this story changing in some way from issue to issue. I hope it's enough to keep people second guessing everything they're reading and come back for more.

And, the beauty of this over my last series, Beautiful Creatures, is that I have 6 issues to develop the characters, rather than 4. The plot is paced a lot more to my liking.

And, if you still don't like this series, give Green Wake a try April 6th!

Thanks again for the feedback, I really appreciate it!

gredavin on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I definitely need to read Joe the Barbarian when it comes out in trade.

Crimsondude on
  • CarbonRodCarbonRod Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Give Insignificus his own title NOW!

CarbonRod on