As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Pokemon League: East [Now Over :(]

• RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gumbyx84 wrote: »
    Heleor wrote: »
    You all are making me feel bad. My Pokemon are still barely hatched...
    Rdr wrote: »
    I have 4/6 ready to go. Gonna be doing the other 2 on the train trip to Boston.

Am I the only one who has their team ready to go? Wow I thought I had fallen behind and here I am heading the pack. :-D Yay me! :Does happy dance:

yeah I have 2/4 ready to go.

I think I'm going to be the only one without a full 6-pokemon team. Though if you look in the game (and the anime), most people have less than six. So I'm... normal?

RainbowTunnel on
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Am I the only one who has their team ready to go? Wow I thought I had fallen behind and here I am heading the pack. :-D Yay me! :Does happy dance:

I think I'm going to be the only one without a full 6-pokemon team. Though if you look in the game (and the anime), most people have less than six. So I'm... normal?

...I don't know about that. :wink:

I don't think I am EV training. I am looking through a sprite sheet of every pokemon and picking ones I want on my team that way and eliminating it down to a semi-balanced team. I am not worried about wasting TMs right now since Black and White is out next week and they are reusable.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm all trained up to level 50 for my whole team. The only thing left is to check all their moves and see if there's room for improvement on that. Otherwise I'm all set for PAX!

Lindsay Lohan on
  • FoggyKnightFoggyKnight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a team ready...and then I have pokemon I'm training in case I decide that I can't decide. xD The idea of a cohesive team that works around a theme is a bit new to me. Up until the start of last month I sort of flailed at teams with type tactics :/

I'm hoping I'll have a picture for you all on Sunday with my two new hats :)

FoggyKnight on
  • ProprietyPropriety PAX Pokemon League Leader! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You're silly. You battled me a week ago, remember? :P My team has been ready for quite some time.

You can't truly battle with newly hatched pokemon! You need to go on adventures with them... frolic in the park with them... play canasta with them... pay their library fines....

Wait a minute! D:<

Propriety on
    That guy with the ridiculously long scarf at PAX. Say Hi!
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
  • TheAggroCraigTheAggroCraig Ultimate Lucky Douchebag MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So in HGSS it scales Pokemon from 51+ down to 50 right?

Also, will any Gym Leaders accept 2 on 2 matches? Up to the leader or completely outlawed?

TheAggroCraig on
  • RegimentRegiment Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Exactly. It's like the Battle Tower - Pokemon over 50 are temporarily lowered, with their stats lowered appropriately.

Regiment on
    I never lose, I just win sideways.
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Also, will any Gym Leaders accept 2 on 2 matches? Up to the leader or completely outlawed?

Well, you wouldn't get two badges each, that's for sure. ;)

Heleor on
  • RappakRappak Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    2 on 2 matches? You mean 2 gym leaders verses two challengers or double matches?

Also, I saw someone wanted to do spin trades. Is someone organizing that?

I will be bringing some trade stock if people are looking for a specific pokemon.

Rappak on
  • PoeticMadnesssPoeticMadnesss Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

...Is it bad that I have three teams of pokemon ready, though chances are I'll stick with a primary team, and switchout between four reserves?...

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Black: 0647 5155 3272
    Pkmn Breeder
    Certified Gold Card Carrier - (E4, Entralink, Musical, Pokedex Complete)
  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    redfield85 wrote: »

...I don't know about that. :wink:
    I don't think I am EV training. I am looking through a sprite sheet of every pokemon and picking ones I want on my team that way and eliminating it down to a semi-balanced team. I am not worried about wasting TMs right now since Black and White is out next week and they are reusable.
    Wait what now?? :runs to Bulbapedia: Oh wow. Didn't know that... I'm really behind the eight ball when it comes to this new gen. I'm going into it almost completely bind.
    Propriety wrote: »

You're silly. You battled me a week ago, remember? :P My team has been ready for quite some time.
    Ya I did forget. Last week could best be described as ... stressful. Most of it is a blur to me.

Also, don't take my happy dance away from me. :P
    You can't truly battle with newly hatched pokemon! You need to go on adventures with them... frolic in the park with them... play canasta with them... pay their library fines....

Wait a minute! D:<
    I do the first two. Not so much the others. We did try interpretative dance once.... Didn't work out all that well. We stuck with DDR. Did you know its a great way to get Speed EVs?

PS I prefer to think of myself as stilly. It better describes the stupid and silly things I do on a daily basis.

Gumbyx84 on
    edited March 2011
    Yea, that is one of the things I actually know about the game. Haha. I find it mind blowing.

But yea, that is the only thing I really know about the game.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • RdrRdr Rider Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm just gonna blame work and doing PAX stuff and other things as excuses to why I don't have a team ready. :) Plus I need something to do on the train.

Rdr on
    edited March 2011
    I'm just gonna blame work and doing PAX stuff and other things as excuses to why I don't have a team ready. :) Plus I need something to do on the train.

I plan on sleeping most of the train ride. Heh. That and music.

edit: I have actually started my sorting process for my team. First round is going through each gen and picking guys I like/would like to use. I think tomorrow I will go through and start elimination round 1. Ha.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Step 1. Motivating speech!
    Step 2: Explain the plan!
    Step 3: ???
    Step 4: Team Rocket’s blasting off again!

Heleor on
    edited March 2011
    OK. So, I went through all the sprites and these guys made it out of my initial look through.
    5490727279_831696fb82_b.jpg

Scyther was always my favorite from way back in the day. I think I might start with him or Scizor.

If anyone wants to give suggestions or just chime in for a conversation about a potential team for me, go on ahead or PM me! If anything, I think you guys might enjoy my eliminations until I find who I want. Hehe.

edit: That is a total of 65 guys there.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • BigShoesPleaseBigShoesPlease Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Since people are talking about teams I thought I'd link to what has always helped me build balanced teams in the past.
    http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/team_builder/
    This is a great tool for knowing what you're weak against so that you can take measure to cover those weaknesses. They also have this tool out for Blaclk and White for those curious about the very, VERY near future. :D

BigShoesPlease on
    Elite 4 Member -PAX East Pokemon League 2011

Pokemon HG Friend Code - 4727 5395 3290
    edited March 2011
    Holy crap, reusable TMs? It's about time. I'm so saving and importing mine as hold items.

Regiment on
    edited March 2011
    Regiment wrote: »
    Holy crap, reusable TMs? It's about time. I'm so saving and importing mine as hold items.

Bad news friend: Pokemon you transfer over? They can't be transferred if they're holding items.

<.< At least, that's what I've read. Don't quote me on that.

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited March 2011

Bad news friend: Pokemon you transfer over? They can't be transferred if they're holding items.

<.< At least, that's what I've read. Don't quote me on that.

Well then, I guess... drat. I've been exploiting that for years. There are so many neat items I've swiped from Sapphire - flutes, TMs, Lava Cookies, berries...

Ah, whatever. At least I'll use them in White. I tend to collect TMs and never use them unless I can get another.

Regiment on
    edited March 2011
    I just found a wacky item in the Mount Mortar dungeon: Iron Ball. It's a hold item that makes flying and levitators susceptable to ground moves. Only thing I can think of to use with it is Trick...

FoggyKnight on
    edited March 2011
    I just found a wacky item in the Mount Mortar dungeon: Iron Ball. It's a hold item that makes flying and levitators susceptable to ground moves. Only thing I can think of to use with it is Trick...

Or fling. :3

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited March 2011

There are loads of items like that. There's Lagging Tail (Pokemon moves last), Flame Orb (burns holder), Toxic Orb (badly poisons holder)... all great with Trick or Fling, and useless elsewise. (Except the Toxic Orb with a Pokemon with the ability Poison Heal or whatever it's called.)

Regiment on
    edited March 2011

There are loads of items like that. There's Lagging Tail (Pokemon moves last), Flame Orb (burns holder), Toxic Orb (badly poisons holder)... all great with Trick or Fling, and useless elsewise. (Except the Toxic Orb with a Pokemon with the ability Poison Heal or whatever it's called.)

I actually use the Flame Orb on my....let's just say that I found a use for Flame Orb, which I will gladly show you if/when we battle. ;)

PoeticMadnesss on
    **Pokemon**
    Pkmn Breeder
    edited March 2011
    Yeah a few pokemon have abilities that can take advantage of the Flame and Toxic orbs. Ursaring comes to mind as my favorite since both his abilities take advantage of them. Guts increases his Attack and Quick Feet increases his Speed. Both only activate if he is under a status condition. Fun stuff if you know what you're doing.

BigShoesPlease on

edited March 2011
    Since people are talking about teams I thought I'd link to what has always helped me build balanced teams in the past.
    http://pokemon.marriland.com/diamond_pearl/team_builder/
    This is a great tool for knowing what you're weak against so that you can take measure to cover those weaknesses. They also have this tool out for Blaclk and White for those curious about the very, VERY near future. :D

I <3 you.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
  • RiokennRiokenn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rappak wrote: »
    2 on 2 matches? You mean 2 gym leaders verses two challengers or double matches?

Also, I saw someone wanted to do spin trades. Is someone organizing that?

I will be bringing some trade stock if people are looking for a specific pokemon.

I suggested we do it at the 4 o'clock meet up at the handheld lounge. Just bring some worthwhile eggs (IE: pokemon that are interesting) if your interested.

Riokenn on
    OmSUg.pngrs3ua.pngvVAdv.png
  • DanUNGDanUNG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm trying to bring a surprise for the Spin Trade...should be a blast!

DanUNG on
  • SupahSupah Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    How does spin trade work exactly? All i know is it involves eggs, o.o

Supah on
  • cocowoushicocowoushi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've been done for a couple weeks now. ;;

cocowoushi on
  • RainbowTunnelRainbowTunnel Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Supah wrote: »

Second'd. I have no idea how to do it or what it needs. >_>

RainbowTunnel on
    edited March 2011
    Supah wrote: »

Second'd. I have no idea how to do it or what it needs. >_>

I think it just involves several Trainers. Each donates 1 Egg, and each gets someone else's. It's a silly random trade thing.

Regiment on
    edited March 2011
    I prefer people hatch their eggs before they trade. I want your Trainer IDs, people! Gotta get me a master ball from the Goldenrod Radio Tower Lotto!

Today's comic post was a Pokemon post! Too bad Tycho didn't mention us.... Some day, perhaps he'll challenge the league.

Propriety on
    Love Pokemon? Going to PAX Prime/East/Aus/South? Challenge the PAX Pokemon League!!!
    edited March 2011
    I prefer people hatch their eggs before they trade. I want your Trainer IDs, people! Gotta get me a master ball from the Goldenrod Radio Tower Lotto!

Today's comic post was a Pokemon post! Too bad Tycho didn't mention us.... Some day, perhaps he'll challenge the league.

Gabe did say on his Twitter that he would have a team ready to battle by PAX, so you never know, maybe we can get his attention.

BigShoesPlease on

• Fetch26291Fetch26291 MassachusettsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I've got some eggs ready for Spin trading, and also a lot of pokémon for normal trading. (Anyone want a bouncy magikarp? I got a few of those.)

Fetch26291 on
    edited March 2011
    Spin trading is in the union room where everyone puts up an egg and then the game randomizes who gets who's egg.

I honestly don't remember what eggs I have. They are even random for me, but I do remember that some of them were starters, staryus, gibbles, and I think some other bred pokemon I had on hand. I will be adding more to the egg list if I have time.

I've got a flying puppy to trade! Aerial Ace Growlithe.

Rappak on
    edited March 2011

Gabe did say on his Twitter that he would have a team ready to battle by PAX, so you never know, maybe we can get his attention.

He'll probably be playing B&W. :( Too bad there's no way for us to get in touch with them. I should think they'd enjoy a few battles, maybe earning some badges. Though I'm sure they're super busy....

Propriety on
    edited March 2011
    Spin trading is in the union room where everyone puts up an egg and then the game randomizes who gets who's egg.

I honestly don't remember what eggs I have. They are even random for me, but I do remember that some of them were starters, staryus, gibbles, and I think some other bred pokemon I had on hand. I will be adding more to the egg list if I have time.

Name him Snoopy, will ya please?

FoggyKnight on
  • Gumbyx84Gumbyx84 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Yeah a few pokemon have abilities that can take advantage of the Flame and Toxic orbs. Ursaring comes to mind as my favorite since both his abilities take advantage of them. Guts increases his Attack and Quick Feet increases his Speed. Both only activate if he is under a status condition. Fun stuff if you know what you're doing.
    Flame Orb seems like a better idea than poison for something like Guts. At least it does to me.

Name him Snoopy, will ya please?
    Seconded. Could also name it The Red Barron. :)

Gumbyx84 on
    edited March 2011
    If you want them, I can trade them. I can also breed more of them.

Rappak on