As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kick Ass Keyboards

• ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to be a sad, sad person the day I'm not able to get a Microsoft Natural 4000 again. I don't think I'll ever buy another board.

Artereis on
  • verbelverbel Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I really like my filco with Cherry blues. It does annoy the wife at times though.

verbel on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lave IILave II Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I like the apple keyboard w/ number pad.

I have many many keyboards in my household, and I choose that above all.

Damn straight. Regardless of your OS I would recommend this to everyone. Surprisingly reasonable at £26 too.

I was getting massive RSI writing up my Thesis and this wonderful, wonderful thing stopped it dead.

Lave II on
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    is that the new super thin one or the old white board, white buttons with a clear band around it all apple board? Or something else all together?

initiatefailure on
  • DekuStickDekuStick Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    verbel wrote: »
    I really like my filco with Cherry blues. It does annoy the wife at times though.

We have a winner. Filco Tenkeyless N-Key rollover is just a pleasure to use.

DekuStick on
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Bastable wrote: »
    Cormac wrote: »
    I have a Razer Black Window Ultimate and absolutely love it. Once you go mechanical anything else just feels like crap. If you don't need or want backlit keys the normal/non-ultimate version is possibly the highest value mechanical keyboards for the money.
    So harder that hard.

I had an interesting experience with my mechanical. I hated it for the first week, then started to love it, now everything else feels terrible.

JohnDoe on
  • BastableBastable Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hell playing counterstrike source again after years away was a good bench mark, itjust felt nicer using wasd and for my hands being able to use ctl key without hitting the window key. Plus most mechanicals support full N-Key rollover with ps/2 or 6 simultaneous usb key presses. Nice.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jasconius wrote: »
    I like the apple keyboard w/ number pad.

I have many many keyboards in my household, and I choose that above all.

This. But mine is slowly starting to go downhill (it is pretty old and used a ton) and I don't think they make that one anymore, do they?

Mr Pink on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't know. personally I went from an old standard keyboard that came with the last computer I bought at retail to using the logitech illuminated keyboard and I love everything about it and it feels smooth when your hands are resting on it... Also it lights up

Do you mean this one? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740

I love that shit. Played around with one in a store and it feels so nice to type on. And it looks and fgeels pretty damn nice, too. Gotta get one right quick, for my new computermotron...

!vote

Love the logitech illuminated.

Ditto.

A lot of my friends have razer keyboards, but I've really not liked typing on them at all. The logitech is nice and solid and has a great feel to it. But I'm completely the opposite on the mice front.

Rook on
  • grouch993grouch993 Both a man and a numberRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    seabass wrote: »
    We actually use Kinesis keyboards at work (Computer science grad students), specifically the advantage contour model. If you type for a living, I cannot recommend them strongly enough, even though they are pricey. For gaming, they're so-so.

I started using Kinesis keyboards in 2000, back when the contour was usd$700. Have them at work and home.

They work for gaming, but not with games that do not allow key remapping. Anything requiring the number pad or certain keys together will mess things up. They can be reprogrammed and can have an external switch added (foot treadle type thing).

grouch993 on
    Steam Profile Origin grouchiy
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a MS Sidewinder X6 and I like it a bunch, but I run into problems sometimes. One of the reasons I bought it was that it was advertised as capable of a shitload of keypresses at once. This is sometimes true! It's very nice for DJMAX. But when I tried playing the gog.com release of Raptor CotS, I found that it wouldn't register Ctrl+down+left. There are other combinations that consistently don't work, and that's disappointing.

Are there any boards out there that I can bash like a hamhanded jackass and definitely have it pick up every single button involved?

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
    edited March 2011
    I have a MS Sidewinder X6 and I like it a bunch, but I run into problems sometimes. One of the reasons I bought it was that it was advertised as capable of a shitload of keypresses at once. This is sometimes true! It's very nice for DJMAX. But when I tried playing the gog.com release of Raptor CotS, I found that it wouldn't register Ctrl+down+left. There are other combinations that consistently don't work, and that's disappointing.

Are there any boards out there that I can bash like a hamhanded jackass and definitely have it pick up every single button involved?

Most gaming mechanical keybords will support n-rollover (multiple or all key presses) but with the cavat that it's through Ps/2 connections. The most a USB keyboard will ever support is 6 key presses, and not all usb keyboards will do even this and wil have key combos that will not work. (for me it was a,s and ctl in fps's)

Pretty much razor black widow will support 6 (USB only).
    Steel series 6 and 7 will do every keypress through ps/2 and 6 when using usb.
    Das keyboard, several filco's will do the same as steel series, as will equivilent ps/2 capable keyboards. Most contempory USB gaming keyboards will support 6 keypress's so ctrl,down and left will work.

Bastable on
    Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember back in highschool playing Descent 1 on the LAN, we used to run into multiple-keypress problems during dogfights...

It was a hell of a lot of fun though!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • exisexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Previously I would have recommended the Saitek Eclipse. The keys feel great. I must have had mine for over five years and it shows no signs of slowing down.

HOWEVER, I've recently discovered that on a couple of games (Darksiders, Thief 3), just having it plugged in while cause the cursor to scroll up infinitely. Which sort of sucks because I don't like having to unplug my keyboard whenever I want to play a game. This is the original, so I don't know what the later versions are like - and I never saw anything like this until a couple of months ago - but I'd be wary nonetheless.

exis on
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I remember back in highschool playing Descent 1 on the LAN, we used to run into multiple-keypress problems during dogfights...

Yeah, I think Descent was the first time I ever had a problem with limited keystrokes. :D I used the numpad and wasd to get my fingers enough keys for all the different weapons and movement options. :P

ArcSyn on
    4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    ArcSyn wrote: »

Yeah, I think Descent was the first time I ever had a problem with limited keystrokes. :D I used the numpad and wasd to get my fingers enough keys for all the different weapons and movement options. :P

Strafing in a circle around someone whilst also strafing vertically up and down, moving forward and back and firing missiles and lasers and also barrel-rolling just to show off... My hands are aching just thinking about it!

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a blackwidow ultimate, I already have to RMA it. The Q key broke off after about a week of use. I could have received one that went through the usual UPS bullshit, but I would be careful purchasing one.

Other than that, the keys felt nice and it was a joy to type on.

Soggybiscuit on
    Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    exis wrote: »
    Previously I would have recommended the Saitek Eclipse. The keys feel great. I must have had mine for over five years and it shows no signs of slowing down.

HOWEVER, I've recently discovered that on a couple of games (Darksiders, Thief 3), just having it plugged in while cause the cursor to scroll up infinitely. Which sort of sucks because I don't like having to unplug my keyboard whenever I want to play a game. This is the original, so I don't know what the later versions are like - and I never saw anything like this until a couple of months ago - but I'd be wary nonetheless.

I absolutely loved my Saitek Eclipse for quite some time. I remember it caused some issues with TrackMania, but I don't remember what it was, or how I fixed it. Maybe the problems are related?

It died on me when my dog knocked over some water onto the keyboard though. Such a shame.

Icemopper on
  • SnowblindvictimSnowblindvictim Flying casual Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Saitek Eclipse for life.

I was actually going to get the Saitek Cyborg, but the lack of Blue LEDs and backlighting made me sad

Snowblindvictim on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

well, per USB HID spec, the polling rate is 5ms, so a keyboard or mouse that claims to do more is simply lying.

as for picking up every keystroke. IBM Model M's are the standard for reliability (no macros, or Windows key!). Ive got a Compaq rebranded Model M, and it is clickity clackity beautiful. Best thing is that the way to clean them is to throw them through the dishwasher.

Joe K on
  • stigweardstigweard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The specification isn't a limitation, it can be changed with software. That's why most gaming mice come with special drivers that have to be installed if you want to change the polling rate to 1ms (1000hz). Regardless, since we are talking keyboards. If you want to mash all the keys and have them register, you have to use a ps/2 connection, not usb. Every keyboard I've seen has a limit of 6 keystrokes when connected by usb. Also note, most non mechanical keyboards have limited pathways to save money so certain combinations will never work.

stigweard on
  • Joe KJoe K Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    stigweard wrote: »
    The specification isn't a limitation, it can be changed with software. That's why most gaming mice come with special drivers that have to be installed if you want to change the polling rate to 1ms (1000hz). Regardless, since we are talking keyboards. If you want to mash all the keys and have them register, you have to use a ps/2 connection, not usb. Every keyboard I've seen has a limit of 6 keystrokes when connected by usb. Also note, most non mechanical keyboards have limited pathways to save money so certain combinations will never work.

Didn't know that you could replace the USB HID device driver....

but, your second point agrees with me - Find an old IBM Model-M

Joe K on
  • POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMANPOKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN i can make this march and i will make georgia howlRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I like Model-Ms a lot but I dig the macro features on the X6. I might have to look into something like the previously mentioned Steelseries and just run with a PS/2 connection, which isn't a big deal and will address my previous concerns

Thanks for the input though guys! I now understand these things better

POKÉMON MASTER WT SHERMAN on
    vQ77AtR.png
    steam | xbox live: IGNORANT HARLOT | psn: MadRoll | nintendo network: spinach
    3ds: 1504-5717-8252
  • johnnythefifthjohnnythefifth Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I use the MS keyboard 8000 set and I love it

johnnythefifth on
    The enemy's gate is always down!
  • PirusuPirusu Pierce Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just bought a Logitech G110, which is the "low end" of Logitech's gaming keyboard. With a second monitor, I found myself never looking at the game panel of my old G15, so this seemed like a good idea. It feels good to type on, although it's taller than the slim light-up keyboard that Chris linked earlier (my wife had that one, and that's what I was using till she got her own desktop built).

Pirusu on
  • BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Pirusu wrote: »
    I just bought a Logitech G110, which is the "low end" of Logitech's gaming keyboard. With a second monitor, I found myself never looking at the game panel of my old G15, so this seemed like a good idea. It feels good to type on, although it's taller than the slim light-up keyboard that Chris linked earlier (my wife had that one, and that's what I was using till she got her own desktop built).

I have the G110 as well. I really like typing on it, though it doesn't have that much of a reaction to it. I've never used the macros, though.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • WezoinWezoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I used to use a G15, but didn't really use any of the extra features. I love chicklet style keyboards though, and absolutely love my apple wireless keyboard and magic mouse. No real special features but lightweight, small, and sturdy.

Wezoin on
    edited March 2011
    I got so sick of changing and charging the batteries in my wireless keyboard and mouse I went out and bought an (extra) cheap wired keyboard and mouse for $17. It's actually pretty good! Except the mouse is tiny (Microsoft Basic Optical mouse 2.0).

I'm still getting the illuminated keyboard and maybe one of those r.a.t. 9 mice...

Donovan Puppyfucker on
  • TK-42-1TK-42-1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    imo you should never have wireless anything unless you absolutely need it. i have so many problems at work with women who think they need wireless so they can put their lucky troll dolls all over their desks without that ugly cord getting in the way

TK-42-1 on
    sig.jpgsmugriders.gif
  • WraithXt1WraithXt1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    logitech-g19.jpg

I use a Logitech G19, the bigger brother of the G15. It sports a color programable LCD, Funtion buttons and media controls. I love it to death, but the pricetag is a bit high for a keyboard. The LCD is more of a gimick than anything, but I do feel like I'm living in the future with it, and have it is useful for monitoring memory and CPU usage.

WraithXt1 on
    WraithXt1.png
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I had my cpu tower 30 m away from my desk, I'd get wireless. But they're RIGHT BESIDE each other, no reason to introduce complexity into a perfectly good simple thing.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have been using wireless keyboards and mice exclusively since 2006 and have never had any problems beyond periodically replacing batteries.

Gaslight on
  • ObbzObbz PhiladelphiaRegistered User new member
    edited March 2011
    I've never owned a wireless keyboard for anything except my HTPC, and I don't use that hardly at all. I use a Saitek Eclipse II for my gaming machine, and it's wonderful. The keys aren't spongy or sticky, pretty even pressure all the way down. It's got three backlight colors with adjustable intensity (though I only ever use blue since it matches the rest of the lights from my PC, speakers and monitor). And, most importantly to me, it's got media shortcuts and volume control so I can control my media player right from the keyboard without changing active windows.

While not strictly a gaming keyboard, I love it.

Obbz on
    The story so far:
    In the beginning the Universe was created.
    This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move.
  • JimboJimbo down underRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    My mate and I play online regularly and without fail his mouse battery will go flat during a LoL teamfight or something dumb. Soo frustrating.

He has spare batteries charging all the time, but it still takes him 15 secs or so to get going again.

Wireless mice and keyboards are a hindrance for gaming.

Edit: personally, I have an older G15. Love the backlights. It has lasted very well, I think I've had it about 5 years of solid use now.

Jimbo on
    404 not found
  • StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    but why would I add the need for batteries when i get the exact same functionality without batteries?

Sure, people who have the Pc on the living room and use it from the couch have the need for wireless, but I'm a desk gamer, even my Xbox 360 is on my pc desk. I don't even need the wireless gamepad.

I know lots of people need the freedom from wires, but most pc users do very well without it.

tl;dr: wireless kbm are VERY situational.

Stormwatcher on
    Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • KillerBeeGeesKillerBeeGees Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone know of a keyboard that has decent keypress limits for standard FPS'ing at a low-end price point ($50 is my tentative limit, but lower is even better)? Function buttons, yes. Big backspace key, yes. Big enter key, preferably not. If it's 18" wide or less, bonus points for you. A number pad is not a necessity.

KillerBeeGees on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rook wrote: »
    Delzhand wrote: »
    I don't know. personally I went from an old standard keyboard that came with the last computer I bought at retail to using the logitech illuminated keyboard and I love everything about it and it feels smooth when your hands are resting on it... Also it lights up

Do you mean this one? http://www.logitech.com/en-us/keyboards/keyboard/devices/4740

I love that shit. Played around with one in a store and it feels so nice to type on. And it looks and fgeels pretty damn nice, too. Gotta get one right quick, for my new computermotron...

!vote

Love the logitech illuminated.

Ditto.

A lot of my friends have razer keyboards, but I've really not liked typing on them at all. The logitech is nice and solid and has a great feel to it. But I'm completely the opposite on the mice front.

The logitech isn't mechanical though, is it?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just bought one of those Black Widow keyboards, I am rather hard on my keyboards so I decided to try a mechanical one out and while I liked the Steelseries one better the lack of the windows key and the weird Enter key and right shift key just turned me off of it. I'm one of those people that use the arrow keys in FPS gaming so anything done in the wasd area of a keyboar means jack and shit to me.

Hopefully it doesn't suck, I'm not sure I will like the sound of it but I type pretty noisy already so I don't think that will be a big issue. The macro thing will be completely ignored.

hawkbox on
    edited March 2011
    hawkbox wrote: »
    I just bought one of those Black Widow keyboards, I am rather hard on my keyboards so I decided to try a mechanical one out and while I liked the Steelseries one better the lack of the windows key and the weird Enter key and right shift key just turned me off of it. I'm one of those people that use the arrow keys in FPS gaming so anything done in the wasd area of a keyboar means jack and shit to me.

Hopefully it doesn't suck, I'm not sure I will like the sound of it but I type pretty noisy already so I don't think that will be a big issue. The macro thing will be completely ignored.

It has a windows key just the one on the right, remember the black widow does not have full simultaneous key press recognition, it's still piped through a usb. I think the razar is USB so it can have macro's so it's there if you want to experiment.
    The enter button is the standard flipped l shape on both steel series 7 and 6 series, the 7 has a small backspace key and the 6 has a normal sized one.

Bastable on

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I dislike the moved backslash key, I do a lot of command based typing and that being moved irks me. I use the left windows key almost exclusively so removing it screws me up. As for the key press I had a G15 till it failed and now I'm using a dell keyboard I jacked from work that we deploy en masse that has a flaky left shift key so I am stepping up at any rate.

I dislike the large enter key that the steel series has, I prefer the straight line with the backslash above it.

hawkbox on