As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alley[chat] Blues

• MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    I mean she looks attractive enough, but to say that people are getting real therapy from her is laughable. Shit you could probably get better therapy from banging a craiglist hooker and cheaper too.

I'm not convinced that there is an appreciable difference in benefit to someone between talking to an actual therapist and talking to someone who is a good listener.

The therapist can give you drugs?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I mean she looks attractive enough, but to say that people are getting real therapy from her is laughable. Shit you could probably get better therapy from banging a craiglist hooker and cheaper too.

I'm not convinced that there is an appreciable difference in benefit to someone between talking to an actual therapist and talking to someone who is a good listener.

Have you been around when I've been on my soapbox on this topic?

Edit:
    Mazzyx wrote: »

Unless you're in New Mexico, Lousiana, or the military, sadly they can't.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »

[citation needed]

Carrot is that you?

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

[citation needed]

Elliot Spitzer always looked happy to me.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011
    No winky, turning into a goose to sleep with a women is not high on my list of fantasies.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I genuinely do appreciate it when a female heroine in a video game wears sensible clothing rather than a metal push-up bra and a thong.

For me its clothes that fit the role. Say in Dragons Age 2. Like I don't mind that Issabella will look like some kind of pirate gyspy that highlights her assets, where as Aveline will wear heavy plate armor denoting her as a warrior.

Ellie in Dead space 2, and the female character whos name escapes me right now in bulletstorm were also not ho bags.

i dont get why the female dalish elf warrior starts off with armor that shows off her belly

i was kind of put off by that

Arch on
    edited March 2011

Not all of them or at least not all of them in all states. One can be a doctor in pyschology, but not able to prescribe drugs, thats usually a psychiatrist, though for some reason I recall thats blended more as of late.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011

Edit:

I think its that when I think therapist I think psychiatrist. I tend to forget there are therapist without that licensing.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    i dont get why the female dalish elf warrior starts off with armor that shows off her belly

Because you're an elf in a game that sticks pretty close to fantasy traits in all games?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    Gooey wrote: »
    Elldren wrote: »
    Also a lot of the bioware threads have this creepy "Oh man these attractive female characters in games are too attractive." types that really come off as "Am I right ladies? Look at me I'm sensitive I think games with their idealistic standards of beauty don't cater to ugly people enough, nevermind that men in videogames especially protagonists are god damn greek gods."

I try to ignore them.

i dont know about you but i look like i belong in gears of war

queer

... O_o

I have no idea what this is supposed to mean, but yes, yes I am. You gonna come at me, bro?
    :lol:

Oh god I couldn't do that with a straight face

;-)

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011

Because you're an elf in a game that sticks pretty close to fantasy traits in all games?

those fantasy traits are stupid

really really stupid

Arch on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The thing about Isabella is that yes, she dresses like a pirate hooker

because she is a pirate hooker

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Because the elf was raised in the woods - she's a redneck.

Incenjucar on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Edit:

I have not. I'm interested to hear what you have to say about it.
    No winky, turning into a goose to sleep with a women is not high on my list of fantasies.

I mean, I'm not saying that's what I aspire to either, but I mean if you could who among us wouldn't at least try it out?

Winky on
  • EddyEddy Gengar the Bittersweet Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What do you mean "sadly" they can't? I would never trust a psychologist or god forbid some layabout therapist to understand my specific medical needs and appropriate dosages/treatments. Psychiatrists have actual medical backgrounds.

Eddy on
    "and the morning stars I have seen
    and the gengars who are guiding me" -- W.S. Merwin
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

it shows her belly because how is she going to fit in her armor when she does what all good dalish elf girls do and starts popping out puppes left and right

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011

Edit:

I think its that when I think therapist I think psychiatrist. I tend to forget there are therapist without that licensing.

Or medical degree.

Psychiatrists are MDs

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011

Its not just licensing its a different approach to the problem, some psychologists don't believe in using drugs to help with all problems, they are still doctors and licensed therapists. They usually don't counsel those who do need them though like psychotics. More like the stressed.

For me with this lady, its thats she's a "psychologist buff" and her prime trait is that shes attractive and takes her clothes off. It just reeks of a guy using "therapy" to see a naked lady and not feel pervy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »
    Why is it always so damn cold in this store? Arrrrrrgh. I blame the cinder blocks.

They're not doing a good hijab heating the place.

Maybe you should throw some more charcoal burqettes on the fire.

Or just put on a scarf?

I shouldn't tease. I think we al admire-a your dedication.

<3

Passerbye on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

A good listener wouldn't have helped me nearly as well as EMDR has helped me with my PTSD.

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2011
    For me with this lady, its thats she's a "psychologist buff" and her prime trait is that shes attractive and takes her clothes off. It just reeks of a guy using "therapy" to see a naked lady and not feel pervy.

Wasn't there a Family Guy episode about this years ago?

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011
    She is in the buff, talkin psychology

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Its not just licensing its a different approach to the problem, some psychologists don't believe in using drugs to help with all problems, they are still doctors and licensed therapists. They usually don't counsel those who do need them though like psychotics. More like the stressed.

I just honestly don't believe even that is necessarily less effective than an actual therapist.

Winky on
    edited March 2011

those fantasy traits are stupid

really really stupid

Aren't you late for second breakfast?

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011
    Actually directing the conversation is part of that whole therapy thing, so it is more than just being a good listener. You have to know what questions to ask and direct people to certain realizations and conclusions.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yeah. There's an alphabet soup of credentials.

Psychiatrists are medical doctors. They can prescribe drugs.
    Psychologists are therapist with doctoral degrees (PhDs or PsyDs - doctorate in psychology). They can't prescribe drugs (except in the states I mentioned and the military).
    And there are therapists with the equivalents of masters degrees: MFT, LCSW, MFCC, etc.

Winky, to expound a little bit on my "soapbox," the level of education has not been shown to have any correlation on outcomes of treatment. The schooling just doesn't seem to matter for 1-on-1 therapy.

There was a study that I can cite after I get home (its in one of my dead tree books) where they gave students a crash course in basic cognitive therapy techniques and then had them do peer counseling. They did just as well as newly-licensed therapists and therapy interns on treatment outcomes for patients with mild-to-moderate depression and dysthymia not taking psychiatric drugs.

Basically, what makes a good therapist are:
    - The right personality qualities (ie, being a good listener and having compassion but with appropriate boundaries)
    - Utilizing experimentally-supported cognitive-behavioral techniques (that can be taught in a two-week seminar course)
    - Years of experience doing actual therapy

And that's about it.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

edited March 2011
    I just honestly don't believe even that is necessarily less effective than an actual therapist.

There are instances where just talking to someone is better than seeing a shrink. But for real "Oh god my head is broke" problems you need to see a professional with a rigorous education.

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »

A good listener wouldn't have helped me nearly as well as EMDR has helped me with my PTSD.

EMDR is so weird. It seems so pseudoscientific on its surface but it works.

Feral on

• LindenLinden Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Morning, [chat]. I see we are psyching today?

Linden on
    edited March 2011
    I'm psyching, bro.

I'm psyching so hard.

Feral on

edited March 2011
    Not that I trust psychs, they are sp's who have caused every genocide this world has ever seen. Know thy enemy.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011
    man that jucar post right after ferals was such amazing juxtaposition

Arch on
    edited March 2011

iknowright?

Feral on

edited March 2011
    come at me bro!

hee that's fun to say :P

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011
    it really is elldren, its one of the best phrases ever

Arch on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Incenjucar wrote: »

Wasn't there a Family Guy episode about this years ago?

THIS PART'S JUST FOR THE MEN

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
    edited March 2011
    Now I am reading what emdr is. I will admit I have never been to a psychiatrists or therapist. Mostly because I actually have never had to since I got lucky genetically with head being together. So lots of new terms and stuff for me.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
    edited March 2011

iknowright?

If you think that "oh god my head is broke" is mild-to-moderate sure. :P

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011
    EMDR does really sound like pseudoscience on the surface

someone who knows more about it give me a better general overview

Arch on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm psyching, bro.

I'm psyching so hard.

Heresy.

*blam*

Passerbye on
This discussion has been closed.