As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alley[chat] Blues

• ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Elldren wrote: »
    I'm not sold on the presentation

or the idea of eating breakfast

well cant help you on the second one

Arch on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »
    Passerbye wrote: »
    quick i need someone who is vegetarian/vegan or just vegetarian/vegan friendly to high five me over how awesome this recipe sounds

no haters please

I wish I could but I don't like cooked oranges. And 'tofu scramble' sounds terrible.

Still, not hating. If you like it, huzzah for you. :^:

such a hater

:P

So, I'm vegan.

But, I'm a breakfast hater.

Breakfast can die in a fire. Maybe, it'll turn out better.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

You would not like it here or there?

You would not like it anywhere?

Lawndart on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Winky wrote: »

Yep, I was skeptical at first but my therapist pointed me to a bunch of meta-analyses of it and while they can't seem to explain it, it has comparable success rates to SSRI and straight talk therapy treatments. For me, my course of treatment is Talk therapy, EMDR, and group therapy. It's been effective enough that I've been able to avoid going back on SSRIs.

Eh, even if all of the theoretical basis is bullshit it's possible that it is just very effectively utilizes the placebo effect, like it generates a lot of confidence due to some combination of plausibility, the appearance of a strong scientific basis, and the subject's own perception of being treated.

There have been some comparison studies that have looked at outcomes of EMDR verse pill placebo and EMDR does significantly better.

Oh, yeah, I checked out the study.

What I'm saying is that not all placebos are created equal. It may be that the method exploits placebo psychology particularly effectively, even if it may do so accidentally.

But then again maybe it has a stronger theoretical basis than I realize, I don't know a lot about memory formation yet.

Winky on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Well brunch is superior but my office doesn't really allow that so breakfast it is.

Thomamelas on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Lawndart wrote: »

You would not like it here or there?

You would not like it anywhere?

Not before noon

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011
    quick i need someone who is vegetarian/vegan or just vegetarian/vegan friendly to high five me over how awesome this recipe sounds

no haters please

I wish I could but I don't like cooked oranges. And 'tofu scramble' sounds terrible.

such a hater

So, I'm vegan.

so many haters

Arch on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

no haters please

such a hater

So, I'm vegan.

I'm soooo sorry. Eggs and bacon are two of the most delicious thing on the planet. Or have vegans finally declared bacon as a vegetable so they can get some of that delicousness?

Premier kakos on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Breakfast is analogous to scotch; initially unpleasant, but eventually something you'll want to do every day before you go to work

TL DR on
  • LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    God damn, none of my supposedly witty pop culture references are working today.

Lawndart on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yep, I was skeptical at first but my therapist pointed me to a bunch of meta-analyses of it and while they can't seem to explain it, it has comparable success rates to SSRI and straight talk therapy treatments. For me, my course of treatment is Talk therapy, EMDR, and group therapy. It's been effective enough that I've been able to avoid going back on SSRIs.

Eh, even if all of the theoretical basis is bullshit it's possible that it is just very effectively utilizes the placebo effect, like it generates a lot of confidence due to some combination of plausibility, the appearance of a strong scientific basis, and the subject's own perception of being treated.

There have been some comparison studies that have looked at outcomes of EMDR verse pill placebo and EMDR does significantly better.

Oh, yeah, I checked out the study.

What I'm saying is that not all placebos are created equal. It may be that the method exploits placebo psychology particularly effectively, even if it may do so accidentally.

But then again maybe it has a stronger theoretical basis than I realize, I don't know a lot about memory formation yet.

Some of the meta-analyses are giving indications on par with SSRIs. It may be the placebo effect, but it still puts it on par with the most effective treatments for PTSD but without the potential side effects. And it does put it much further ahead then simply talking to a good listener.

Thomamelas on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It's really more of "this seems to work and we don't know why it works yet."

So the "theoretical basis" is really going to be more like "hypothetical basis."

It's one of those examples of science going from practice to theory rather than from theory to practice.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm soooo sorry. Eggs and bacon are two of the most delicious thing on the planet. Or have vegans finally declared bacon as a vegetable so they can get some of that delicousness?

I think we should declare vegans as vegetables, they probably are leaner than a lot of grass fed beef.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, you hate eating at breakfast time, or you hate breakfast food?

TL DR on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

Breakfast is analogous to scotch; initially unpleasant, but eventually something you'll want to do every day before you go to work

Nothing like scrambled eggs and bacon with pancakes and a tall glass of cool, refreshing scotch to start your morning off right.

Premier kakos on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We also may be approaching a level of sophistication in psychology where it's no longer meaningful to talk about the placebo effect as something to be avoided, but rather something to be harnessed.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Can it not be both?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »

So the "theoretical basis" is really going to be more like "hypothetical basis."

It's one of those examples of science going from practice to theory rather than from theory to practice.

I'm always very wary of that.

Hello lobotomies.

Then again, I doubt EMDR could possibly do that sort of damage.

Winky on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You believe it works so it does, if only that worked with chatters...

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited March 2011
    We also may be approaching a level of sophistication in psychology where it's no longer meaningful to talk about the placebo effect as something to be avoided, but rather something to be harnessed.

hmmmmm

i mean i accept this but i wonder about what it really means

Arch on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, I make a Warhammer 40k reference and nothing. Are you not nerds?

I say it's all just wind in sails.

:?:

To explain an obscure reference.

That is really creepy.

Passerbye on
    edited March 2011

hmmmmm

I don't know!

I don't know if anybody knows.

Feral on

edited March 2011

hmmmmm

I don't know!

but not knowing things makes me afraid and now i am weeping in a ball on the floor

Arch on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    i'm preeeeeeeeetty sure someone just admitted to fraud in the stocks thread.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    it was you wasnt it gooey

Arch on
  • ZampanovZampanov You May Not Go Home Until Tonight Has Been MagicalRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Can it not be both?

I think it's more that one of them makes sense, and one of them is goddamn blasphemy

Zampanov on
    r4zgei8pcfod.gif
    PSN/XBL: Zampanov -- Steam: Zampanov
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If you were going to run a mini-pbp about Vatican warlock assassins, what rpg would you use.

Assume the game is intended to be a total trainwreck.

desc on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqAXFK8U32U

tell me this isn't the best jam to brighten your day

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wooo got my cpap machine.

The doctor told me I had severe apnea. He said I had over 600 apneaic episodes over the course of the test night, and that it averaged over 100 an hour.

The number for Diagnosing Severe Apnea?: 30 an hour.

WHEN I GO I GO HARDCORE DON'T FORGET IT BITCHES.

Ludious on
    edited March 2011

hmmmmm

I don't know!

but not knowing things makes me afraid and now i am weeping in a ball on the floor

The upside is I wake up screaming less. So if the price I have to pay is you crying on the floor because your brain hurts...well then I'll just make that sacrifice.

And man, I need Jacob or Bogart around so they can appreciate how funny this is:

hipsterwitch02.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    If you were going to run a mini-pbp about Vatican warlock assassins, what rpg would you use.

Assume the game is intended to be a total trainwreck.

are the assassins also warlocks or do they assassinate warlocks

Ludious on
    edited March 2011

I'm always very wary of that.

Hello lobotomies.

Then again, I doubt EMDR could possibly do that sort of damage.

Counterpoints: aspirin, lithium (examples of drugs that are very safe but existed prior to any plausible etiological explanations for their therapeutic properties).

vioxx, tysabri (drugs that were the products of intelligent drug design targeting a specific mechanism of action but turned out to carry dangerous side effects)

TLDR: empiricism reprezent

Feral on

edited March 2011

hmmmmm

I don't know!

The upside is I wake up screaming less. So if the price I have to pay is you crying on the floor because your brain hurts...well then I'll just make that sacrifice.

monster

Arch on
    edited March 2011

Let's face it, for most of the history of clinical psychology it is basically the driving force behind any beneficial effects.

Of course, I think further advances in neuroscience are really going to change how we treat psychology. For instance, developing treatments that exploit plasticity in a theoretically solid manner would be wonderful.

Winky on
  • Niceguy MyeyeNiceguy Myeye Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Honestly, I never liked eggs. Scrambled, sunnyside, anything. Believe me, I tried.

Bacon was just ok. I only liked it because it was salty, honestly.

The only breakfast foods I've ever liked were pancakes, Super sweet cereal (Read Crunch Berries), cinnamon toast and french toast. All of these things I liked because they almost seemed like dessert and not breakfast.

Niceguy Myeye on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

The doctor told me I had severe apnea. He said I had over 600 apneaic episodes over the course of the test night, and that it averaged over 100 an hour.

So you basically ain't slept since you were born.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2011
    Is that a house of M reference thom?

Ludious on
  • HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

hmmmmm

I don't know!

And man, I need Jacob or Bogart around so they can appreciate how funny this is:

hipsterwitch02.jpg

:^:

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2011
    Ludious: holy fuck. Good for you for getting your machine, though.

Thom: That is funny.

Feral on

edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »

So you basically ain't slept since you were born.

preeeettty much

Ludious on
This discussion has been closed.