As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Alley[chat] Blues

• TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Feral wrote: »
    We also may be approaching a level of sophistication in psychology where it's no longer meaningful to talk about the placebo effect as something to be avoided, but rather something to be harnessed.

Oh my god yes

If people knew the power they can exert over their own perceptions, the world would be a drastically different place.

TL DR on
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Winky wrote: »
    But then again maybe it has a stronger theoretical basis than I realize, I don't know a lot about memory formation yet.

It's really more of "this seems to work and we don't know why it works yet."

So the "theoretical basis" is really going to be more like "hypothetical basis."

It's one of those examples of science going from practice to theory rather than from theory to practice.

I'm always very wary of that.

Hello lobotomies.

Then again, I doubt EMDR could possibly do that sort of damage.

Counterpoints: aspirin, lithium (examples of drugs that are very safe but existed prior to any plausible etiological explanations for their therapeutic properties).

vioxx, tysabri (drugs that were the products of intelligent drug design targeting a specific mechanism of action but turned out to carry dangerous side effects)

TLDR: empiricism reprezent

Yeah, I suppose the take-home message for all of that is to make sure there's sufficient clinical testing of any drug or treatment before it becomes widespread.

Winky on
  • ArchArch Neat-o, mosquito! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    We also may be approaching a level of sophistication in psychology where it's no longer meaningful to talk about the placebo effect as something to be avoided, but rather something to be harnessed.

Oh my god yes

If people knew the power they can exert over their own perceptions, the world would be a drastically different place.

isnt that basically the message of that weird christian book the secret

except with more jesus

Arch on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

Let's face it, for most of the history of clinical psychology it is basically the driving force behind any beneficial effects.

Even stepping out of any kneejerk chauvinism that says "placebo=bad" I don't think there's much factual basis for your statement.
    Of course, I think further advances in neuroscience are really going to change how we treat psychology. For instance, developing treatments that exploit plasticity in a theoretically solid manner would be wonderful.

I agree entirely with this.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ludious wrote: »
    Wooo got my cpap machine.

The doctor told me I had severe apnea. He said I had over 600 apneaic episodes over the course of the test night, and that it averaged over 100 an hour.

The number for Diagnosing Severe Apnea?: 30 an hour.

WHEN I GO I GO HARDCORE DON'T FORGET IT BITCHES.

So you basically ain't slept since you were born.

preeeettty much

is this when you go hibernate and wake up some time next year or what

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    oh turns out the secret isnt a christian book at all

either someone lied to me or i am just crazy

Arch on
  • TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arch wrote: »

Oh my god yes

isnt that basically the message of that weird christian book the secret

except with more jesus

I don't know. Did the author of that book also do a lot of martial arts and LSD in high school?

TL DR on
  • descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    desc wrote: »
    If you were going to run a mini-pbp about Vatican warlock assassins, what rpg would you use.

Assume the game is intended to be a total trainwreck.

are the assassins also warlocks or do they assassinate warlocks

As I understand it, they are warlocks who serve as assassins and report directly to the pope.

Since this is all based on a guy who smokes a lot of coke, I feel like the system needs to be very light and have the capacity for huge "critical" successes and failures with a lot of randomness inresults.

desc on
  • Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2011

Let's face it, for most of the history of clinical psychology it is basically the driving force behind any beneficial effects.

Of course, I think further advances in neuroscience are really going to change how we treat psychology. For instance, developing treatments that exploit plasticity in a theoretically solid manner would be wonderful.

You know, Winky, neuroscience is a dated science. Sooner or later, we'll just upload our minds into computers and then neuroscience will be completely pointless and replaced with a branch of computer science.

Premier kakos on
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't know. Did the author of that book also do a lot of martial arts and LSD in high school?

:lol:

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Why are strawberries so delicious? It's like, they're too delicious. As if it is somehow a trap.

moniker on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

The doctor told me I had severe apnea. He said I had over 600 apneaic episodes over the course of the test night, and that it averaged over 100 an hour.

I don't think this is something to be proud of.

Passerbye on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Is that a house of M reference thom?

Kinda.

Thomamelas on
    edited March 2011
    If you were going to run a mini-pbp about Vatican warlock assassins, what rpg would you use.

Assume the game is intended to be a total trainwreck.

are the assassins also warlocks or do they assassinate warlocks

As I understand it, they are warlocks who serve as assassins and report directly to the pope.

Since this is all based on a guy who smokes a lot of coke, I feel like the system needs to be very light and have the capacity for huge "critical" successes and failures with a lot of randomness inresults.

Well, you could play Dark Heresy, which is basically that game in SPACE! Or you could use FATE to run it. FATE is pretty good at oddball and generic settings like that.

Premier kakos on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So that guy I was talking about earlier that keyed my boss' car just got suspended from his job, turns out he's an RN. They told him that it's all in their company policy that if you've been charged with a crime they can suspend you, even if you settle and don't actually get booked or anything.

The cop made him cry but only because he said, "Look you're not dumb, obviously, did it solve your fucking problem to key some guys car?"

His excuse? "It was cold and I was angry because my dad was really sick."

Cop asked him if he distributed the little "you park bad, if I see you again I'll key you" business cards a lot, dude admitted it, though he said that's the first time he's actually keyed a car. The doctor called his employer and said he doesn't want the guy to get fired, but he wants him to pay for damages and not do it again to anyone. The company said that it really doesn't matter because he's an RN and that could be a big potential liability if someone gets angry enough to break someone's property, or worse, attack someone. I Think the guy is an RN at a hospice facility too, so, I can see why.

Ahh fun day.

bowen on
    not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
  • WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

You know, Winky, neuroscience is a dated science. Sooner or later, we'll just upload our minds into computers and then neuroscience will be completely pointless and replaced with a branch of computer science.

Dude that is what I'm doing.

Also come back to me when you figure out how to make a computer that nearly approaches the complexity of the human brain.

Oh wait, don't worry about it, I'll tell you how to make one after I'm done figuring out how the one we've got works.

Winky on
    edited March 2011

Also come back to me when you figure out how to make a computer that nearly approaches the complexity of the human brain.

Oh wait, don't worry about it, I'll tell you how to make one after I'm done figuring out how the one we've got works.

<3

Feral on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    [Chat], I have a problem. You see: I work at a live re-enactment of The Office and I'm looking for a new job. I've told my boss that I'm looking for an awesome job that incorporates my degree in Human Geography, but I have not told him I'm also looking for a similar job to the one I have now at a nicer company.

If he finds out he will probably put me on the shortlist of people to fire, which is not something I want.

Now I have to call an agency about a neat little job I found, but I'm kinda busy after office hours so the 1 hour I have between walking out of the office and the agency closing is filled pretty tightly already. So normally I'd call during my lunch break, but I'm not very sure I want to do that now. Note: I can't leave the building without everyone going "Huh why did he leave the office?"

This place sucks. What should I do?

Aldo on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Passerbye wrote: »

The last part was biting, thought provoking sarcasm, underlying how urban youth tend to aggrandize and vaunt their violent lifestyle of self destruction and societal poisoning.

Ludious on
  • ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    hipsterjean2.jpg

Thomamelas on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I giggled, Thom

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011
    why is search still broken

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited March 2011
    ugh

walked miles to the thrift store only to discover: chu, you're too fat, they don't have any blazers or coats large enough for you!

Organichu on
    edited March 2011
    no winky fuck neuroscience come grow giant mantises with me we can exploit plasticity stillll

Arch on
    edited March 2011

Well, if the current trend holds (which is a big if, but let's say it isn't for the sake of internet dick waving), in forty years, we'll have computers powerful enough to simulate the brain of every single person on the planet. I doubt you'll unlock all the secrets of the brain in forty years.

Premier kakos on
    edited March 2011
    Aldo wrote: »
    [Chat], I have a problem. You see: I work at a live re-enactment of The Office and I'm looking for a new job. I've told my boss that I'm looking for an awesome job that incorporates my degree in Human Geography, but I have not told him I'm also looking for a similar job to the one I have now at a nicer company.

If he finds out he will probably put me on the shortlist of people to fire, which is not something I want.

Now I have to call an agency about a neat little job I found, but I'm kinda busy after office hours so the 1 hour I have between walking out of the office and the agency closing is filled pretty tightly already. So normally I'd call during my lunch break, but I'm not very sure I want to do that now. Note: I can't leave the building without everyone going "Huh why did he leave the office?"

This place sucks. What should I do?

go to the "doctor". meet your "girlfriend" for lunch.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2011
    Gooey wrote: »

Because you touch yourself.

moniker on
  • ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm soooo sorry. Eggs and bacon are two of the most delicious thing on the planet. Or have vegans finally declared bacon as a vegetable so they can get some of that delicousness?

Honestly, I never liked eggs. Scrambled, sunnyside, anything. Believe me, I tried.

Bacon was just ok. I only liked it because it was salty, honestly.

The only breakfast foods I've ever liked were pancakes, Super sweet cereal (Read Crunch Berries), cinnamon toast and french toast. All of these things I liked because they almost seemed like dessert and not breakfast.

I've never liked eggs either. Some preparations are.. acceptable at best.

If someone is looking for a non breakfast breakfast food, maybe try Kefir?

Arlington on
  • Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

At first I read that as Kevin Rudd, and wondered what the former Aussie PM was doing there.

Captain Carrot on
    edited March 2011

Well, if the current trend holds (which is a big if, but let's say it isn't for the sake of internet dick waving), in forty years, we'll have computers powerful enough to simulate the brain of every single person on the planet. I doubt you'll unlock all the secrets of the brain in forty years.

ah such optimistic futurism

Arch on
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Dude has maintained enough hatred to heat a small US city on no sleep. He's a hero in our time.

Aldo on
    edited March 2011
    why is search still turned off

Because it is an extremely expensive process on a highly overloaded server?

Premier kakos on
  • LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    If I worked in a place that questioned why you left for lunch I'd cut myself.

Ludious on
  • ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

It is disabled

It will not be re-enabled on this platform

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
    edited March 2011
    'nichu, just walk back to the store erryday asking about your size. Eventually they will have something that fits you, one way or another.

TL DR on
  • PasserbyePasserbye I am much older than you. in Beach CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Kagera wrote: »

His expression in the second photo is pretty funny.

Passerbye on
    edited March 2011

I always find these kinds of proclamations hilarious, as if information or knowledge can actually be measured like that. How many megabytes is Michelangelo's David?

moniker on
    edited March 2011
    'nichu, just walk back to the store erryday asking about your size. Eventually they will have something that fits you, one way or another.

haha

Arch on
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm psyching, bro.

I'm psyching so hard.

Heresy.

*blam*

I am so happy someone made this joke

Rear Admiral Choco on
This discussion has been closed.