As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[League of Legends] Sunday Sunday Sunday! Evening. MOBA 101

programjunkieprogramjunkie Registered User regular
edited March 2011 in Games and Technology
logo.jpg
League of Legends is a game inspired by the Defense of the Ancients, developed and published by Riot Games.

READ THIS FIRST!

Frosteey's Super Useful Advice Corner
Tip #1: Have fun : D
Need a stream list? List of all streams that are worth listing.

Have you scored a Pentakill?
I5r0s.jpg
2115f11.jpg
i4qxjt.jpg
Guuuys.jpg[
Get on the G&T vent to play with us (list at bottom), the vent info is stickied at the top of the forum.

Game Info and Useful Links:
leagueoflegends.com, the game database provided by Riot (who make the game).
leaguecraft.com, there are a lot of fan sites out there with general information and builds. This is just one; and, it's kinda slow as shit. Regardless of where you look for builds keep in mind, most of them make assumptions that are not clearly conveyed and there are a lot that are just plain bad. Tread lightly.
KillerCodeMonkey's wiki, add your brilliant shit to it.
Game mechanic shit, stuff like how attacks and magic and fuck work.
Rune break-dancing, good info about what runes you should buy.
Livestreams Watch the pros rage.

THE BUSY-BUSTER CODES - USE AT YOUR OWN RISK
When you've got the client open, type

"Left, Right, Left, Right, Down, Down, Up, Up, 3 then 4"

Alternatively

"CTRL+L --> [ javascript:setServerStatus(1) ]"

Again, use them at your own risk.

IF YOU'RE GOING TO SPEND REAL CASH DOLLA MONIES FOR CHAMPIONS
Zoelef wrote: »
Drop $20 for the Retail Box (Amazon, Best Buy, GameSpot, Newegg, Target, and Wal-Mart typically have this) It gives you $10 in Riot Points, take those, then buy $10 in Riot Points and $5 in Riot Points. Spend all of them on the second champ pack.

That's $35 for 40 champs permanently unlocked; none of the post-40 have ever been in a bundle AFAIK.
Cutfang wrote: »
Q: How can I get champions and save money?
A: You won't have to spend a cent if you simply play games and earn enough IP to buy them all. If, however, you wish to hasten the process you may buy champions with real money. The most cost effective way to buy champions is by purchasing the two bundles on offer.
For $45 you can buy 6380 Riot Points, which are used to buy champions and skins. 3900 of those points gets you the Digital Collector's Pack, which contains 20 champions and includes 1380 Riot Points (huh?). If you were to buy the champions individually it would cost 37800 IP or 9620 RP. The Digital Collector's pack can also be bought in stores or online as a boxed copy, which may save you a significant amount of money.
3410 Riot Points gets you the champions bundle. This contains some more expensive champions. Bought individually they would cost 60750 IP or 14350 RP (ish).
This leaves you with 450 RP, enough to buy yourself a single skin!

the LoL wiki for the updated Champion list.

Valiantine has a lovely spreadsheet that you can add your summoner name to.

https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?key=0Ap5qFqD3oLKndHNfOGJ1VFNZVVZ6c1NtZVktdXpsTVE&hl=en&authkey=CJPuh4wG#gid=0
Edit: The spreadsheet is currently defunct.

And here we go again!

PM: ArcanisTheImpotent for learning inhouse games. He said it will likely be weekly.

HOW TO JOIN THE PA CHAT CHANNEL IN LEAGUE OF LEGENDS

Click the chat rooms panel in the bottom right, click the speech bubble with a plus next to it, type in Penny Arcade. when the window opens, click the gear in the top right of the window and check the box "Autojoin on Startup."

programjunkie on

• MonkeyConQuesoMonkeyConQueso No more MH Claw Happy handsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    This game.

Is fun.

I hate it.

Can't wait to get home and play it.

MonkeyConQueso on
    PSN : Aubvry ;; WiiU/XBL/Steam : MonkeyConQueso ;; 3DS FC : 4553-9982-3786
    Destiny! : Warlock - Titan - Hunter
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    this thread lacks DOBA.

Feldorn on
  • Crotchless Gorilla SuitCrotchless Gorilla Suit Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MOBA BONER

Crotchless Gorilla Suit on
  • Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    MOBA BONER

Moner.

Custom Special on
    XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I approve of this here tittle name, despite its lack of DOBAs

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • nealcmnealcm Alvarian AlvarianRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    moba doba

moner donor

i will donate my moner to you

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • DroolDrool Science! AustinRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So has right suggested that they understand they made their game less fun, or are they sticking to their guns with the new hyper push meta?

Drool on
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    picking up the madred's bloodrazor discussion from the last thread again

when playing Kog I always rush madred's first because of the good synergy with his w, however it seem that a lot of people don't find madred's to be worth it as a starting item. In one of the more popular guide it is suggested to get maledy first, wit's end second and bloodrazor third because you get 50% higher attack speed (instead with just maledy and bloodrazor) heath% damage isn't so great early on, and maledy + wit's end cost about as much as a bloodrazor. However I do feel that getting bloodrazor so late could hurt my end-game (especially when w is on cooldown), which is why I haven't really tried that yet. What do you think, is it worth it skipping madred's at the start?

Another idea would be to skip bloodrazor altogether and go for ad/as/crit items instead, since my w already gives me the effect 1 1/2 bloodrazor, technically. Should I consider this?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • undeinPiratundeinPirat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what if there were a champion based around boners

undeinPirat on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] steam: undeinpirat
  • ZoelefZoelef Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    To those of you headed to PAX East:
    schuss wrote: »

Sadly, I won't be going because I'm a lazy pariah so I'll probably crash this instead the week after.

EDIT: "Signed up so far: No one, yet." That's not a good sign.

Zoelef on
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    what if there were a champion based around boners

Clearly going to have a knock up effect.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2011
    the champion just has xin zhao's three talon strike, cho's rupture, janna's tornado and malphite's ultimate

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • Styrofoam SammichStyrofoam Sammich WANT. normal (not weird)Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    nealcm wrote: »
    the champion just has xin zhao's three talon strike, cho's rupture, janna's tornado and malphite's ultimate

And you get CC'd for 25 to life if you use it on Annie.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
    edited March 2011
    but your resource isnt mana or any of that

its the erectometer

increases when in line of sight of some rude titties

undeinPirat on
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

its the erectometer

so they're an anti-carry, you're saying

I needed anime to post. on
    liEt3nH.png
  • Magic RadioMagic Radio Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    to get maledy first, wit's end second and bloodrazor third

Malady first is a solid build but for the second item I would use the enemy team comp to decide. If they have champions with a lot of mana than get the Wit's end second. If they have champions with a lot of health than get the bloodrazor second.

Magic Radio on
    edited March 2011

its the erectometer

damnit i really need to stop eating while i read this thread

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
  • ElementalorElementalor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

its the erectometer

Sounds like an unending resource.

Also he would be the second boner based champ after Jarvan.

Elementalor on
    Marvel Future Fight: dElementalor
    FFBE: 898,311,440
    Youtube: http://www.youtube.com/dElementalor
  • Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trundle

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I think this thread needs more tits.

Tryndamere.

4rch3nemy on
  • SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just cuz I need a post in the new thread:

today I got matched with a team of four people who spoke entirely in moon-runes.
    Shen had a solo lane and was somehow level seven when everyone else was thirteen or higher.

This shen still managed to call his MIAS somehow, despite not speaking another word of English and not knowing how to play the game.

I smiled.

Sokpuppet on
  • FeldornFeldorn Mediocre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    Just cuz I need a post in the new thread:

today I got matched with a team of four people who spoke entirely in moon-runes.
    Shen had a solo lane and was somehow level seven when everyone else was thirteen or higher.

This shen still managed to call his MIAS somehow, despite not speaking another word of English and not knowing how to play the game.

I smiled.

proving that a house cat is still better than your average LoL player.

Feldorn on
  • UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    4rch3nemy wrote: »
    I think this thread needs more tits.

Tryndamere.

mRXbal.jpg

UrQuanLord88 on
    http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I just played with an AP Sion who played like an AD Sion.

I have never seen someone feed so confidently. He'd just walk right up to Jarvan and Shen. And then when he knew Olaf, Jarvan and Shen were all in a bush, he'd go and check.

I wanted to cry. Saved him a few times, but there's only so much a Fiddle can do.

Also the other team had an AD Zilean who absolutely manhandled our Katarina. Grabbed a wits end and a SotD and everything. So many clocks. So fast.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Trynd's really are the rudest.

Also happy every time this thread comes around and it isn't Moba Doba.

And has anyone else noticed that Guardsman Bob plays extremely passively post lane phase? Every time he picks Malphite on his stream I feel bad for his teammates, because he has little sense for initiation. He lanes like a boss, and he does work during teamfights as the assorted dps goons he plays, but he is super timid as a tank.

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2011
    Arkady wrote: »
    Trynd's really are the rudest.

Also happy every time this thread comes around and it isn't Moba Doba.

stopped reading here

undeinPirat on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Last thread someone was asking for anti-tanky DPS and my response is Trundle.

His Q saps their attack damage (DPS) and his ult saps a percentage of their armor/mr/health (tanky). This is the perfect counter to tanky DPS.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Liquid GhostLiquid Ghost DO YOU HEAR THE VOICES, TOO?! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    THROUGH THE TELESCOPE

EARTHDICKS ON THE HORIZON

SHIVER ME TRUNDLES

Liquid Ghost on
  • SaldonasSaldonas See you space cowboy...Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Look what trolled outta the bunghole.

Saldonas on
    Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/carthuun
    Switch: SW-1493-0062-4053
  • NisiNisi Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Jam totes son, no moba doba?

Nisi on
    edited March 2011
    Gankplank and Trundle, trolling bros 4lyfe.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I still don't know what the hell AP / AD mean. I even looked on the one link in the op to the list of terms and like half a page down someone mentions them but describes them backwards to what I thought.

Also I took some advice to watch some streams and had some 2200 guy start trolling his team because he was pissed off the ashe wanted to solo mid (he was Jarvan and he let his morgana lane mate get pushed hard because he was just wondering around being a dick because "ashe needed to learn a lesson because he shouldn't last pick solo mid ashe" or some elitest BS. The team would have actually won had he not been a giant dick and streamed it for the whole internet.

Then I watched guardsman bob playing as PAX JAX and I got depressed because if I had that skin I would play Jax all the time but I can't make it to pax and $40 on ebay seems stupid.

initiatefailure on
    edited March 2011
    THROUGH THE TELESCOPE

EARTHDICKS ON THE HORIZON

SHIVER ME TRUNDLES

liquid ghost back to posting perfection

nealcm on
    19ZUtIw.png
    edited March 2011
    He was saying you shouldn't play mid ashe? Thats like the only lane for Ashe.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    He was saying you shouldn't play mid ashe? Thats like the only lane for Ashe.

yeah I think his problem was more that the last pick on the team (therefore lowest ELO) shouldn't try to call solo mid ashe.

initiatefailure on
  • surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    tr0ndle

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • LunysgwenLunysgwen Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I touted how awesome Trundle was last thread..And the thread before. You guys are JUST catching on?

Lunysgwen on
    edited March 2011
    Lunysgwen wrote: »

I touted how awesome Trundle was last thread..And the thread before. You guys are JUST catching on?

I have been espousing his phallic virtues for some time now as well.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg
  • ArkadyArkady Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I still don't know what the hell AP / AD mean. I even looked on the one link in the op to the list of terms and like half a page down someone mentions them but describes them backwards to what I thought.

Also I took some advice to watch some streams and had some 2200 guy start trolling his team because he was pissed off the ashe wanted to solo mid (he was Jarvan and he let his morgana lane mate get pushed hard because he was just wondering around being a dick because "ashe needed to learn a lesson because he shouldn't last pick solo mid ashe" or some elitest BS. The team would have actually won had he not been a giant dick and streamed it for the whole internet.

Then I watched guardsman bob playing as PAX JAX and I got depressed because if I had that skin I would play Jax all the time but I can't make it to pax and $40 on ebay seems stupid.

Douchebaggery like that is never acceptable. That said, if you are the last pick in ranked and you pick a carry, that is a serious breach of general ettiquette in high end ranked (most of the time). Last picks are for counter-picking certain champs (making sure you've got a stun for Kat, etc.) or filling out your team (the last 2 picks almost always are tank and jungler), and odds are they already had a good mid picked and that ashe was just like fuck you I do what I want.

Ap is ability power. It increases the damage of (most) abilities. Ad is attack damage, it makes your auto attacks hit harder and some abilities as well. The way you can tell is, when you look in an abilities tooltip, after the damage or heal number there will be a number in parentheses. If this number is green the ability scales off of AP, if it is red or orange (looks red to me) it scales off of AD. Both AP and AD will increase the damage your auto attacks do to turrets (and inhibs I think).

Arkady on
    untitled-1.jpg
    LoL: failboattootoot
    edited March 2011
    Had a trundle with multiple phantom dancers and ghost chase me down as Kass last night. Was terrifying.

Ended up ok though because I was Kass so I just killed him.

But still.

Angry troll chasing me down with a club.

Styrofoam Sammich on
    wq09t4opzrlc.jpg