As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Comic Book Questions Thread International. Of America.

TexiKenTexiKen Dammit!That fish really got me!Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Graphic Violence
Do you have some questions about comics? Well, so does the industry!

questions.jpg

This is the new comic book questions thread, where you can come to ask and find answers to such questions as:

-What issues of Daredevil did Joe Kelly write? (#365-375)
-What issue of Ultimate Spider-Man introduced Ultimate Gwen Stacy? (#14)
-I just finished reading Sandman, what other titles are there that I may enjoy? (Hellblazer, Unwritten, Y: The Last Man, Fables)
-How awesome a writer is Kurt Busiek? (the most awesome writer ever)

So if you need advice on a new series to pick up, a question about a character or plotline, or simply wondering what your favorite creator is working on right now, this is the thread for you to find your answer.

TexiKen on

• SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Tex how cool is USAgent? I posit that he is the coolest.

Solar on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    USAgent is the best patriotic themed hero to ever exist in comics.

TexiKen on
  • MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok. Here's a question GV. Who's weiner do I have to suck at DC to get them to collect the Spectre run by Ostrander and Mandrake from the nineties?

Maximum on
  • DanWeinoDanWeino Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Another question. I keep seeing everyone raving about the Thunderbolts book. When did it become awesome?, i.e which issue does the current arc start and / or what would a good jumping on issue be?

DanWeino on

steam_sig.png
  • AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    DanWeino wrote: »
    Another question. I keep seeing everyone raving about the Thunderbolts book. When did it become awesome?, i.e which issue does the current arc start and / or what would a good jumping on issue be?

Thunderbolts #144

Antimatter on
    edited March 2011
    MaximumJ wrote: »
    Ok. Here's a question GV. Who's weiner do I have to suck at DC to get them to collect the Spectre run by Ostrander and Mandrake from the nineties?

Bob Harras was the group editor for collected editions (trades) at DC before he was promoted to EiC, and it seems that Ian Sattler is the current boss of the reprint department.

So send him a letter, and tell your LCS to ask DC for it the next time they ask shops for their opinions.

TexiKen on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Antimatter wrote: »
    DanWeino wrote: »

Thunderbolts #144

Also Thunderbolts was always awesome.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Even fight club?

But yeah, Thunderbolts Classic comes out in April reprinting the first Busiek/Bagley issues, give it a read, it's very good stuff.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    Tex you are breaking rules one and two right now

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    But John Arcudi broke my heart :(

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    You are a big ol' baby

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Here's a question for Spidey fans that I can't remember reading about:

Has anyone reverse engineered Peter's web fluid, be they hero or villain? We get Reed and Tony saying he's smart but have they ever said "oh hey even I couldn't have come up with that, nice job."

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    I think Bloodspider, the Taskmaster copy of Spidey had webs

yeah, he did, they came from a tank on his back

Antimatter on
    edited March 2011
    http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix/bldspidr.htm

I really really really like this costume

the bottom one, I mean

Antimatter on
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Really?

Well

OK then

Solar on
    edited March 2011
    it looks like a present day version of the 2099 suit

I dig it

Antimatter on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just bought the first trade of Air. I liked it well enough, but I'm worried that it may end up like Lost and just spend eons creating complicated mysteries that'll never go anywhere.

Can anyone vouch for the rest of the series?

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Here's a question for Spidey fans that I can't remember reading about:

Has anyone reverse engineered Peter's web fluid, be they hero or villain? We get Reed and Tony saying he's smart but have they ever said "oh hey even I couldn't have come up with that, nice job."

Also, Trapster (Paste Pot Pete) has something like web-shooters. His adhesive doesn't dissipate after an hour, but that arguably makes it better.

Robos A Go Go on
  • CrimsondudeCrimsondude Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I got through the second or so arc before I stopped reading comics, and I enjoyed the hell out of it.

But, yes, it does seem like they keep jerking her (and the readers) around for a while. There was some good payoff around issue #10 or so, but then it went off on its own thing. I heard it was cancelled so I figure when I get around to it I need to pick up the issues I missed in trades and see if Wilson provided closure.

Crimsondude on
    edited March 2011
    I think it ended with #24 so it's not very long, and Wilson said she was given enough time in advance to not make it an abrupt ending.

TexiKen on
    edited March 2011
    It is entertaining as a serial mystery when something seems resolved and then Blythe turns around and it's just, "What now?"

Crimsondude on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Just out of curiosity, was Whedon's Runaways run any good?

noir_blood on
    edited March 2011
    It was average. Issues 1 & 2 of his arc It started off rather well, then issues 3, 4 & 5 were less the Runaways and more his steampunk Avengers team from the 19th century he created.

The delays really killed the momentum originally, and even now in trade form it still reads as scattered.

TexiKen on
  • CJGCJG Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, this is something I've always wondered about: Why are the penciller and the inker typically two separate people?

It would seem to me that pencils are half-finished art, and the inker finishes it. I've seen good inkers and bad inkers and the inking has a big effect on the final art. Why is the comic billing always Writer / Penciller when the inker has such a big impact?

Thanks!

CJG on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CJG wrote: »
    Ok, this is something I've always wondered about: Why are the penciller and the inker typically two separate people?

It would seem to me that pencils are half-finished art, and the inker finishes it. I've seen good inkers and bad inkers and the inking has a big effect on the final art. Why is the comic billing always Writer / Penciller when the inker has such a big impact?

Thanks!

I have no idea why professional comic book artists do it, but with my art it's a time issue more than anything. The big name artists seem have enough trouble getting 20-30 pages a month drawn of just pencils, and good inking can take just as long. If I have good breakdowns, I can get a book of decent looking pencils done in a month. No way I could do that if I was inking and coloring. But I'm a hobbyist, not a pro, so I may be way off the mark.

As far as the inker not getting as much credit, I know more comic writers than I do artists, but from what I understand, a lot of the time the penciler works directly with the writer and will be the only person that sees the breakdowns. An inker doesn't get the art until later on, when it's already almost complete, and works with the editor and colorist, oftentimes not having any real contact with either the writer or penciler. Plus there is the whole perception of inkers being seen as just tracers, as seen in Chasing Amy. It takes a while reading comics before you start to take notice of different inking styles and how important they are to the work.

Hensler on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    CJG wrote: »

Seconding Hensler on the whole time issue. For me, inking takes about 3/4 the time it takes to pencil something, which means a full page of comic art takes me anywhere from 8-12 hours to pencil and ink. And if you have kids, a wife, or other responsibilities, you probably want to free up as much time as you can, while still making a living. Though, a lot of guys (Chris Samnee, Tom Fowler, Francesco Francavilla, lots of indie guys) do ink their own stuff.

I would say that you're incorrect in assuming pencils are "half-finished art," though. For instance, Kevin Maguire's work on the Defenders mini-series from a few years ago wasn't inked, and it still looked pretty fantastic. Likewise, Atomic Robo's Scott Wegener just pencils really tightly over blue pencil, and it's then adjusted digitally to look like inks.

As for why the penciller gets billing over the inker, I think it's because they're primarily responsible for the look of the book. Pencillers define the flow of a page, the panel arrangement, the shape of the characters, proportions, perspective, etc. The inker (and colorist) definitely do their part to make the finished product look better and complete, but they're kind of like house-painters, whereas the penciller is the construction crew that built the house.

I don't want to seem dismissive of what inkers do (just look at Guarding the Globe #3 to see how unattractive an inking clusterfuck can make a book), but I think it's fair to say they have less impact on the look of the book, than the penciller does.

Munch on
    edited March 2011
    Munch you better learn to draw faster

I want the finished chupacabra pages on my desk by Tuesday

And where's parker?

I need those pictures of spider-man on my desk ten minutes ago

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hey TLB

I need that beat sheet two weeks ago

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    You're not the boss of me

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    This contract says otherwise

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Pfft

I ain't honor no contracts

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    That is because you have no honor, sir.

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
    edited March 2011
    Nope.

None at all.

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Oh

well, as long as we're on the same page then

BlankZoe on
    CYpGAPn.png
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What page?

Ahahahahahaha

Wildcat on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What was the marvel comic {I think} of a immortal guy who over the years ends up a head or chopped up gets this woman to be his fan or something she becomes immortal by giving over a part of herself and other mayham insues

I really don't know as this was a very bad time for me I remember just some random stuff from the comic

Brainleech on
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like Terror, Inc.

Crimsondude on
  • FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I want to read good/fun/interesting stories with Martian Manhunter and slash or Miss Martian tell me some please question mark

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
    edited March 2011
    My favorite Martian Manhunter story is New Frontier, in which he appears as a main character.

There's also JLA: Year One, which deals with his role in the newly formed Justice League.

And he's also a major character in Grant Morrison's JLA run, not to mention the Justice League International stuff that Munch loves so dearly.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2011
    You need to track down the John Ostrander Martian Manhunter series

It is fantastic

Also the Showcase Presents: Martian Manhunter books are fun reads too, if you love you some Silver Age Wackiness

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg