As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Magic Events at Pax East 2011

• Tom SheaTom Shea Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hello everyone!

The intro deck league is the Phyrexian versus Mirrodin war league, still open league play. Their is a back pack prize for the biggest winner from each faction.

We did put player caps on the mini master events. The sealed decks for the laptop, i pod, and super fnm won't have a cap.

We are offering an 8 player version of mini master along with the GO Infinite mini master where the winner of that 32 person single elimination tournament will receive 8 booster packs AND a complementary entry for another go infinite mini master tournament during this weekend. Our goal for go infinite mini master is to launch many events so that players have an opportunity to play at many times during the weekend. Please keep in mind that this is a new approach which may not fire as often as we would like.

Booster drafts are going to be mirrodin block.

Looking forward to seeing you there

Tom Shea
    Magic TO

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2011
    INTRO DECK LEAGUE: Mirrodin War League!!! Will you choose Mirran or Phyrexian? Play ALL DAY!!! Entry fee is $15.00 per person. Choose a Mirran or Phyrexian Intro Pack and play all day at your leisure! Earn a Magic card after every match, win or lose! In addition, there will be a Magic back pack awarded to the biggest winner for each faction!

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2011
    We are willing to run ANY 8 person pick up tournament. Last year we had difficulty with getting people with decks all together. We are trying to provide a more consistent play experience with less waiting.

Tom

Tom Shea on
    edited February 2011
    We are currently working on a PAX booklet that is printable. It should be ready by mid next week. We will post it on this thread.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • MangoProjectsMangoProjects Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Tom Shea wrote: »
    INTRO DECK LEAGUE: Mirrodin War League!!! Will you choose Mirran or Phyrexian? Play ALL DAY!!! Entry fee is $15.00 per person. Choose a Mirran or Phyrexian Intro Pack and play all day at your leisure! Earn a Magic card after every match, win or lose! In addition, there will be a Magic back pack awarded to the biggest winner for each faction!

Thanks Tom, for the information. I am a new comer to Magic, do you have the location (room) where you will host the Intro League for beginner?

Thanks

- @mangoprojects

MangoProjects on
    I create images with IMPACT.
    edited February 2011
    This year all the magic events are together in the HUGE game room. We will have an area this time devoted to intro pack league. We are projected to have seating for 600 magic players. This is going to be a really nice show.

See you there

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • purevalpureval Somersworth, NH Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do you guys bring in the artists as well or is that handled by someone else? Last year I did not even realize they were there until I stumbled upon their table.

pureval on
    edited February 2011
    We don't get to decide who the magic artists are at PAX. We do have a GP in Providence in May where we do.

What kind of older magic stuff would you guys like to see at PAX? We are starting to look at what to bring to the show for our retail area. It is hard condensing a store down to a small table area.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • AhkhiraAhkhira Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hello Magic Fans!

Tom Shea asked me to post and make sure all your questions are being answered. Feel free to PM me if you need more info!

I can't wait to see all of you this year! Last year was AMAZING!!!!!!

Don't forget, if you don't see your favorite event listed, we're willing to run any format as long as there are 8 willing participants! Just bring us 8 players, and we'll run a special event just for YOU!

See you soon!
    Jen

Ahkhira on
    Find me at the Magic: The Gathering events!
  • bactgudzbactgudz Registered User new member
    edited February 2011
    Will there be any Magic Online Live events like there were last year?

bactgudz on
  • SimethosSimethos Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I cannot wait for these events. I haven't played Magic, with actual cards (that wasn't online) in forever. I really wish I wouldn't have sold my collection so long ago. I'm really missing my old decks.

I have to say, I'm pretty excited. I better start buying more packs before the big weekend.

Simethos on
  • HippowithwingsHippowithwings Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    What kind of older magic stuff would you guys like to see at PAX?

EDH being a singleton format means pimping out your deck is significantly easier/funner. Bring all your awesome foils, foreign, rarities etc. I know at least one guy who will be buying lots.

Also, please please please bring a crap rare bin. I love finding some nice .25 cent gems for all sorts of random decks.

Hippowithwings on
    edited February 2011
    Hello everyone,

I don't believe there are any online events. We hear you on the edh cards. We will bring some of the new alchemy multiplayer decks too. We have stuff availible on our online store too. www.tjcollect.com as well, Feel free to email me on any specific things you guys need. Tom@tjcollect.com

The 8 man mini masters are designed to help you play WHEN you want to instead of our schedule. That and intro deck league will help you play anytime. Not just to our schedule.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hey Tom, is there any possible way we could get a Standard tournament going on any time during PAX? I'm sure there are people other than me who are planning to bring their decks, and as much as I love limited formats, I also love Standard :)

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited February 2011
    Hello

We are also offering 8 man single elimination events as well. We could do that or send me a time we could or should do a type 2.

We are willing to run anything that people want to play

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • FatherFletchFatherFletch Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thank you again for running such an excellent Magic presence at PAX East! Two weeks to go and this should be an even better show.

FatherFletch on
    Tabletop Manager
    Rolling Old School Dice since '04
  • Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Just to confirm is the Intro league $15 per day and you start fresh every day with a new intro deck or is it $15 for the weekend?

Lindsay Lohan on
  • electricowlelectricowl Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm going to second standard. I'll love limited, but I would rather play standard.

electricowl on
    edited February 2011
    Hello Lindsay

The intro pack league is $15.00 period. For that you get one deck. If you wanted to get a different deck each day you could by paying another $15.00 however it is not required. We want you to play, have some fun and play again another day and have even more fun.

We want our players to be able to play whatever they want. We are here for you.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • mSWAEmSWAE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This will be my first PAX (and yes I am a girl who plays Magic ;-)). I am hearing a lot about lines. How early do you think we should show up for the scheduled tournaments if we want to play in them?

mSWAE on
    edited February 2011
    Hello everyone

All of the Super mini masters are capped. We will be taking registrations for events ONLY on the day of the event. The Super FNM is not capped, the go infinite mini masters will launch every time we get 32 players. The 8 man mini masters will launch every time we get 8 players. We are attempting to shorten any time you guys will spend in lines by taking this approach.

It would be helpful if everyone came 30 minutes prior to the start of an event to get that event off on time. Our goal is for you to not wait that long for the other events that are firing constantly.

You can sign up ANYTIME for Intro Deck League and play right away and anytime you want during the weekend.

I look forward to seeing everyone there, especially Father Fletch who is so nice to us!

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • SpectacledBearSpectacledBear Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I will be heading to PAX East for the first time and have a couple really simple questions:

Will event sign-up and play be in the tabletop room?

I definitely plan on trying the intro league play, but would FNM or the mini-master games be too much for a mostly n00b player?

I haven't played Magic really since 4th Edition. I picked up a few packs of M10 and Zendikar, so the intro league is primarily what I'm interested in. :)

SpectacledBear on
    Currently playing Stardew Valley and I Am Setsuna.

LPr3CtQ.png
  • GHoooSTSGHoooSTS Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Hi guys, my name is Andy and I run CommanderCast, a podcast about EDH/Commander. At PAX East I am going to be looking for other Commander players to talk to, possibly interview/photograph/videotape for the podcast's upcoming content, and of course am generally looking for other EDH gamers to sit down and sling cards with. If you have never played Commander/EDH before, I will be on site with multiple decks and am happy to teach new people the format. I am also considering doing some kind of unofficial EDH Box Social event in a free play area, but I don't know who might be interested in that.

GHoooSTS on
  • JTailsJTails OHIORegistered User regular
    edited February 2011

You can sign up ANYTIME for Intro Deck League and play right away and anytime you want during the weekend.

Tom

Im looking forward to this; Im not big into tournaments; but just being able to play makes it all the better, awesome idea!

JTails on
  • mSWAEmSWAE Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    If I manage to scare up 7 other warm bodies for a Standard, what would be the fee & prize support?

/me goes back to ignoring her real work and fudging with her decklist... again....

mSWAE on
  • KestreKestre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What do we do about lands? Are you providing free land or land at what price?

Kestre on
    edited March 2011
    Kestre wrote: »
    What do we do about lands? Are you providing free land or land at what price?

I'm also curious about this. I haven't played M:tG in many years, so I plan on starting with the intro pack. However, if I was to partake in Friday Night Magic, I think I would need some lands to make the deck. Will lands be provided? Is there somewhere to buy them?

SpectacledBear on

LPr3CtQ.png
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I would be extremely surprised if they do not provide basic lands at the event. There is no reason for them not to, especially if they're expecting new players. I wouldn't worry about it.

Spawnbroker on
    Steam: Spawnbroker
    edited March 2011
    I would be extremely surprised if they do not provide basic lands at the event. There is no reason for them not to, especially if they're expecting new players. I wouldn't worry about it.

Consider me not worried. :)

SpectacledBear on

LPr3CtQ.png
    edited March 2011
    Hello everyone

We will have lands for the tournaments that we are running. We don't have enough land to give everyone free land. We are asking our players to collect it from their opponents during mini master events.

For the standard events we could do our normal win a box tournament where we charge $15.00 and give a booster box. How does that sound?

We are getting close. Intro deck league sign ups are in the table top room.

hope this helps

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Hello everyone

We will have lands for the tournaments that we are running. We don't have enough land to give everyone free land. We are asking our players to collect it from their opponents during mini master events.

For the standard events we could do our normal win a box tournament where we charge $15.00 and give a booster box. How does that sound?

We are getting close. Intro deck league sign ups are in the table top room.

hope this helps

Tom

It sounds great!!! However, do you think they will be in limited supply? I have most of my Friday planned out up until the afternoon (and maybe even later!).

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
    edited March 2011
    We will have sufficient lands for our players to play in their events. Nothing is limited for our players. The great thing about Intro Deck League is that you can keep fitting it in whenever it is convenient for you. We will people demoing magic all weekend long. The demoing helps feed the intro deck league as well. It is just fun.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • VelosoVeloso Registered User new member
    edited March 2011
    We've been practicing the mini-master format in our playgroup, and we have a question: When you advance and add another booster to your deck, how many more lands do you add? Another full set of 15, or something less?

Veloso on
  • electricowlelectricowl Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Fantastic. Count me in. If this does go through, can you post the date and time here?

electricowl on
  • KestreKestre Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Sounds like if we want to play our decks outside of the tourney we will need to bring our own lands.

A local store sells them for 10 cents apiece, so I guess I should get a bunch beforehand.

Kestre on
  • XirycXiryc Middleburg Hts, OHRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    GHoooSTS wrote: »
    Hi guys, my name is Andy and I run CommanderCast, a podcast about EDH/Commander. At PAX East I am going to be looking for other Commander players to talk to, possibly interview/photograph/videotape for the podcast's upcoming content, and of course am generally looking for other EDH gamers to sit down and sling cards with. If you have never played Commander/EDH before, I will be on site with multiple decks and am happy to teach new people the format. I am also considering doing some kind of unofficial EDH Box Social event in a free play area, but I don't know who might be interested in that.

This is a thing I would be interested in, actually.

Xiryc on
    edited March 2011
    Mini master is a continuous build event. You have all the basic land you need as your sideboard. After each match winners will receive an additional booster, be able to add any basic lands needed for their deck and will rebuild it for the next match. One of the best things about mini master is that your deck changes so much from the start to the end of the tournament.

This is why so many players really enjoy it.

Tom

Tom Shea on
  • HippowithwingsHippowithwings Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Xiryc wrote: »
    GHoooSTS wrote: »

This is a thing I would be interested in, actually.

I am also quite interested in this. Both the box social and the EDH podcast in general, hope to see you @ the event. Ill be the dude rocking a (90%) foiled out Mayael deck.

Hippowithwings on
  • mad_typistmad_typist Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Mini master is a continuous build event. You have all the basic land you need as your sideboard. After each match winners will receive an additional booster, be able to add any basic lands needed for their deck and will rebuild it for the next match. One of the best things about mini master is that your deck changes so much from the start to the end of the tournament.

This is why so many players really enjoy it.

Tom

This may be a stupid question, but is this single elimination? In other words, I essentially agree to pay $10 for a single booster pack potentially if the first round goes badly for me?

I ask because I'm pretty new to Magic - I love it, but I'm still working out the kinks. The Mini master sounds like a lot of fun, but I'm worried that as a newb I'll get crushed in the first round if I get unlucky with my booster pack.

mad_typist on
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    A good friend and coworker just admitted that he was crazy about Magic the Gathering. He explained the basics to me and I fear I will become completely and utterly hooked by this game as soon as I get my hands on a deck and some boosters.

I'm still going to give this a full try at PAX (I have yet to manage some time to play a game, even on the computer)... But I'd like to know the following:

1- If I do happen to love this game, at what level could/should I equip myself at PAX direct? Are there full collection box/series than can be bought? Might as well ask what typical prices I should expect for star sets and the like. <-- NoobGoose

2- For my friend, is there anything awesome (Magic related of couse) that I could expect to find and bring back as a surprise souvenir from WotC?

Frugus on
    Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png