As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Darkspore] Its Diablo + Pokemon + DotA -- Out Now. CTRL X to skip boring intro

• -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    This game looks kind of interesting, but the spore name is like poison to me now. It's going to take near universal praise before I'm willing to trust anything related to that game again.

-SPI- on
  • LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Do we have any idea how many different heroes will be included at launch? One thing that's really appealing to me is that there's a lot of room for expansion within the class and element system.

Lucascraft on
  • Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MaxisYegg wrote: »
    k, all out of keys for now. :) I'll be back sometime with another batch.

Would be awesome if you could get some more for us,also many thanks for the previous support!

Blackbird SR-71C on
    steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I'm in the beta, but I'm a little murky about the status of any NDA, so I'll withold spilling any beans at the moment.

Scosglen on
  • MaxisYeggMaxisYegg Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There will be 25 unique heroes at launch, and each one also has four different variants. The variants are cosmetically different and each variant has a different ability from a pool of abilities that are shared across the heroes of the same type. So eventually, once you start unlocking variants, you can pick the one that has the ability combo you like the best, but for the most part it's 25 different heroes.

MaxisYegg on
  • DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I played this at PAX and had fun. Guess I should look at getting the beta keys.

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    when you say it's like a moba

do you mean

able to control one champion which you can then use to fight enemy champs in some arena-based fighting system

i ask because i love lol you see

Rent on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    MaxisYegg wrote: »
    k, all out of keys for now. :) I'll be back sometime with another batch.

I would love one of those when you get some! :)

This game looks very very very fun but DarkSpore, the name, the relation to Spore, and the box art are very terrible things.

I think the M:tG style team buildling is going to be a huge success in this genre.

Question: Is it hard to "collect them all?" I envision a game where you pick your first team and then find the rest pretty slowly.. it'd be pretty neat to have to build up to that point very slowly.

Question 2: How do you collect more? Are they finds? Do you buy them (with in-game currency)?

Question 3: What are the DLC plans?

4rch3nemy on
  • shalmeloshalmelo sees no evil Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    First I've heard of this, but it's definitely piquing my interest. Looking forward to seeing how this develops (and would love a beta invite if anybody has a spare....)

shalmelo on
    Steam ID: Shalmelo || LoL: melo2boogaloo || tweets
  • GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Definitely interested in this. Especially because I never bought Spore and therefore was not tainted by its putrefaction.

And I crave Diablo clones, and one with the Spore editor would be pretty cool.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
    edited February 2011
    Rent wrote: »
    when you say it's like a moba

do you mean

able to control one champion which you can then use to fight enemy champs in some arena-based fighting system

i ask because i love lol you see

Yes. You pick a hero. (3 actually). Think of it kind of like building a deck in a collectible card game. You pick different heroes with different strengths and counters. You are able to switch heroes in combat.

And the PVP video that I linked in the OP has a pretty good indication of what it will look like. They actually play through a full match. Its a 3v3 battle where each player has 3 characters, but only 1 character out on the map at any given time.

Lucascraft on
    edited February 2011
    Question: Is it hard to "collect them all?" I envision a game where you pick your first team and then find the rest pretty slowly.. it'd be pretty neat to have to build up to that point very slowly.
    Question 2: How do you collect more? Are they finds? Do you buy them (with in-game currency)?

As you play the game you earn experience towards your player level, and each time you gain a level you can pick a new hero to activate from the ones you've unlocked. Every couple levels you unlock three new heroes to choose from. So they do build up over time. The in-game currency is mostly spent on equipping your heroes, buying weapons and buying overall upgrades.
    Question 3: What are the DLC plans?

We haven't announced any DLC plans yet.

MaxisYegg on
  • 4rch3nemy4rch3nemy Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Thanks for answering those questions..

Here's a neat spotlight video showing off Viper the Toxic Ravager:
    http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/02/23/massively-exclusive-darkspore-reveals-the-viper/

4rch3nemy on
  • ReignerReigner Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I loved Spore, how is this the first I'm hearing about Darkspore? Time to track down more infos.

Reigner on
    Exodus Server: Venstra Rei
    FFBE: 838,975,107
    Dokkan: 1668363315
  • EggPuppetEggPuppet Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Randomly generated dungeons yes/no?

EggPuppet on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I signed up for beta like ages ago, and two weeks ago a beta test started (although the launcher referred it to as "alpha"). It went for a whole huge two days, which basically meant I was able to play the tutorial and muck around the creature creator just a little.

Zxerol on
    edited February 2011
    Zxerol, your beta account is good until launch, so you can still log in this weekend or for future tests.

Everyone else who was looking to try it out, I have a few more keys now, so PM me if you'd like one.

MaxisYegg on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    OP lacks any known release information. Is there any? Color me interested.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
    edited February 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    OP lacks any known release information. Is there any? Color me interested.

I will add some.

Also, for those with beta keys, the beta server is up and running right now.

Lucascraft on
  • hamdingershamdingers Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I've been somewhat enjoying the beta - combat is fun. Customizing the creatures is kinda fun too. I wish the maps had more context than "here's a map". I know there is a voiceover laying the ground work, but so far I'm not feeling it from that angle.

Good potential though - will keep looking at it.

hamdingers on
  • datac0redatac0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    I signed up for the beta and received a key, but at the moment my schedule is kinda crazy and I won't have time to play it. Anyone who wants it just ask. First one gets it!

Edit: Gone!

datac0re on
    edited March 2011
    They are doing beta keys for preorder at Gamestop now I think.

Also, they've been doing their beta testing on weekends so I'm guessing the servers will come up sometime today for the people who are playing.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2011
    ATTENTION: I have a couple extra beta keys that were emailed to me by EA. First people to PM me will get them.

edit: My keys are gone. Please direct all inquiries to Scosglen.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2011
    I also have four extra keys to hand out, there's going to be a test this weekend that starts in a few hours.

Scosglen on
  • piLpiL Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I have a strong desire to make adorably cute characters with the system for multiplayer.
    (or walking penises)

piL on
    edited March 2011
    You don't actually make new characters. You just modify existing ones.

Lucascraft on
    edited March 2011
    Hm. I might be able to do something with the color scheme. Or the detail parts. It'll take some dedication!

piL on
    edited March 2011
    Thanks Lucascraft! You've unleashed a beautiful new terror!

Customization and developer involvement has ratcheted my interest probably about 10fold, so thanks for stopping by the thread guys!

piL on
    edited March 2011
    I wants one of these keys. I'm reeeeally curious.

Darkewolfe on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'll take a key!

Xaquin on
    edited March 2011
    People aren't exactly banging on the walls to get a key, so I guess I'll throw my spares out to the wolves.

52EU-ELYR-7Z25-BE4U,

FSG4-2RKG-TEUY-FXAF,

7ZL4-T8CQ-42EH-NGUV,

beta.darkspore.com

Scosglen on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You sir, are a scholar and a gentleman. Thank you.

Decoy on
    edited March 2011
    All of those keys were used by the time I saw them, sigh.

Darkewolfe on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So nobody (else) gets their hopes up, Scosglen's beta keys have all been used already.

--

Darkewolfe: Noooooooo

Incenjucar on
    edited March 2011
    You know what kind of depresses me? There's two people who used the keys and didn't even bother to post.

Darkewolfe on
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    You know what kind of depresses me? There's two people who used the keys and didn't even bother to post.

Lurkers I'm guessing. Or mean people.

Incenjucar on
  • DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

...and while I was the one that did, I apparently didn't make enough of an impression on the other 2 for them to follow suit. I take full responsibility. I'm sure they are just installing it and will return shortly......

Decoy on
  • XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    darn it, I missed it =/

Xaquin on
    edited March 2011
    Good news, everyone!

Alienware is giving them away.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/news/372/darkspore-closed-beta-keys-part-2/

Darkewolfe on
  • DudemanXDudemanX Riverhead, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

I didn't use one of the keys he posted in the open forum but I did PM Scosglen and got a key from him. I hadn't posted anything because I'm still at work and haven't been able to play it yet. Good luck to everyone else in getting a key if you still need one. Hopefully that Alienware thing works.

Thanks again, Scosglen.

DudemanX on
    Steam: DudemanX3
    Discord: Dudeman#9279 - Battle.net: Dudeman#1385
    Twitch: CrashTestJonny - XBox: CrshTstJonny
    Nintendo Switch: SW-4469-1892-0302