As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] of the Fortress (Out Now, Guild Info in OP)

SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
edited April 2011 in MMO Extravaganza
OP by Ellthiteren. Slight changes made by SimpsonsParadox

RIFTlogo.png

The PvP guild is The Six Mouths, Defiant, on Sunrest. If you want to join, sent a tell to Kiori, Wyla, or Jim.

The PvE guild is Knights of Arcadia, Defiant, on Faeblight. If you want to join, there's a chat channel (/join PennyArcade), or just whisper someone in the guild.

The EU PvE guild is Planary Arcadia, Defiant, on Argent. If you want to join, PM Klyka

Here is RIFT's official description:
Join legions of adventurers in RIFT™, a new fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in a world being torn apart.
Rifts violently rip into reality across the land and release powerful forces that threaten the very existence of Telara. Each breach brings with it new characters, events, and treasures, while the world itself changes dynamically around you.
Play with your friends across vast, lavishly detailed environments, or go head-to-head in challenging Player versus Player (PvP) combat as you battle to uncover the secrets of the planes. Build and advance your character using an innovative new class system with limitless possibilities.
The rifts have divided the people and endanger the world. Whether you fight to seal the rifts forever, or harness their power for your own, epic adventures lie ahead for those willing to fight for the future of Telara.

Here are some pretty pictures:
ss88-large.jpg
ss90-large.jpg
ss64-large.jpg
ss98-large.jpg
ss120-large.jpg

And here are some videos:
RIFT will feel very familiar if you've played MMOs in the style of WoW, WAR, LOTRO, and the like, but there are some standout features that have a bunch of us pretty excited.

Your Character:

RIFT has a very unique character creation and customization system. First, you choose your calling: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage.

Your calling determines the Souls available to you. Each Calling has nine Souls, and each Soul has numerous different abilities. You can mix and match up to three Souls in each of your character builds. Each Soul has a talent tree (top ability requires 31 points, 51 points can be applied) through which abilities are unlocked. You max out at 66 points at level 50.

In addition, each character has up to four Roles, which are character builds that you can switch between at any time. For example, a Rogue could have a Melee DPS Role, a Ranged DPS Role, a Tank Role, and a Support Role. Same for the other Callings.

*** To really understand how all of this works, check out this character builder. ***

Warrior Souls:
Paladin - Melee tank focusing on blocking and countering.
Warlord - Tanking tree focusing on buffing up your raid group and debuffing your enemy.
Beastmaster - A melee DPS and pet tree.
Champion - Melee DPS, Burst, Two Hander
Paragon - Melee DPS, Sustained, Dual Wield
Reaver - Tank focusing on threat-through-magic instead of physical hits. Think "What if my Warlock was in plate and could tank".
Riftblade - Elemental DPS
Void Knight - Anti-Caster, Tank
Vindicator - The Warrior PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
Rogue Souls:
Bladedancer - Melee DPS, Frontal - Charge in, smack the enemy in the face repeatedly. You also get some dodge/parry bonuses, reactive abilities, and a small amount of AoE.

Assassin - Melee DPS, Positional - Attack the enemy from stealth and backstab away from behind. Plus you get poisons.

Nightblade - Melee/Mid-Range DPS + Stealth - Attack the enemy from stealth, with the option of closing to melee range or staying a bit further out. The Nightblade abilities do elemental damage (fire and death) instead of physical damage, great for targets with lower elemental resistances / higher physical resistances.

Riftstalker - Tanking + Teleports - The Riftstalker is the rogue tanking soul. Unlike Warrior tanking souls, you are more focused on damage reduction than damage avoidance, through a large variety of self-buffs available to you. You also get a bunch of teleports that grant you even more buffs in combat. You ARE an effective tank.

Ranger - Ranged DPS + Pets - The Ranger gets a variety of pets as well as numerous ranged attacks.

Marksman - Ranged DPS + Kiting - The Marksman gets some really hard hitting ranged attacks (if you're standing still) as well as a bunch of abilities that make kiting a viable option.

Saboteur - Ranged DPS / AoE - The Saboteur is an interesting soul. You have a bunch of traps you can set and bombs you can throw, each with different effects. Your add charges to your target to build up combo points, and then detonate those charges for a big nuke plus all of the associated status effects. There are seven or so different charges: damage, damage over time, aoe damage, stun, slow, armor reduction, and damage increase (I think).

Bard - Support / Healing - You have a huge number of buffs - one for statistics (pick between str/dex, int/wis, or endurance), one for other stuff (pick between armor, magic resistance, movement speed, ability cost), plus up to six Motifs that must be refreshed every 30 seconds and provide a bunch of combat bonuses. Your combo point builder heals your group, and your finishers debuff, damage (single target or AoE), or heal, depending on which one you use.

Infiltrator - The Rogue PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rogue abilities cost energy to use - you have a max of 100 energy, and it regenerates slowly during combat. You build up combo points and then use finishers, which do greater damage, have greater effects, or have greater durations with more combo points.
Cleric Souls:
Purifier - Single Target Healing / Shielding.
Sentinel - AoE Healing
Warden - Healing Over Time
Justicar - Cleric's tanking soul.
Inquisitor - Single Target Magical Ranged DPS
Druid - Melee DPS + Pet
Cabalist - AoE Magical DPS. Mixes well with Inquisitor.
Shaman - Melee DPS
Templar - The Cleric PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
Mage Souls:
Archon - Debuff Enemy, Buff Self/Allies
Dominator - Crowd Control
Elementalist - Pets
Chloromancer - Healing (through doing damage)
Pyromancer - Single Target Nukes
Stormcaller - AoE
Warlock - Damage over time / life leach effects.
Necromancer - Pet + debuff effects.
Archmage - The Mage PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rifts - Dynamic World Events...Really!
The signature feature of the game, Rifts are holes in the planes through which monstrous elemental creatures come to attack Telara. They look like this:
ss73-large.jpg

Individual rifts open on their own around the world map. You can also choose to open them at various locations. Sometimes they also appear during quests:
ss68-large.jpg

And sometimes, they appear as massive, dynamic world events, triggered by players and resolved by players, as our very own Archonex describes here:
So I just experienced an invasion.

And I don't mean the piddly little "squad of troops marches to a town and tries to burn it to the ground" invasion.

I mean "Cthulu has risen from the depths of Rl'yeh, and seeks to devour the world" sort of invasion.

Me and some group mates were on a peninsula in the Free Marches, fighting some group of artillery men water cultists, trying to close a rift. Which is when we apparently accidentally flipped some sort of pre-programmed trigger that triggered the apocalypse.

See, by this point, I had assumed that Rifts were pretty bog standard PQ's with a twist. If you don't close them, they start spawning troops that will gladly overrun the zone and shut down questing until they're taken care of. And the rifts never stop spawning them. You get rewarded pretty heavily for attacking rifts, however, so you're always wanting to actually attack these things.

So, we close this rift. And all of a sudden a voice rises up from the sea. Apparently by closing that last water rift we pissed off the in-game equivalent of Cthulu. He starts screaming at us, calling us false ascended, traitors, etc, etc. While a goddamn turncoat cultist of death on our side back at Kings Retreat basically shit talks the lovecraftian abomination (Ballsy move, I gotta say.) and ticks it off to the point where it launches a full scale assault on the zone.

Now. I should clarify on this. This wasn't just a couple portals to some stygian un-reality opening. This was a full fledged attempt to sink the zone under the sea. Hundreds of fleshless horrors that were over-leveled for the zone, and looked like something out of Lovecraft's worst nightmares came charging out of the ocean. Portals to another reality opened across the width and breadth of the zone, spewing water from nowhere and everywhere at once, slimy tentacles writhing from them in the air, disgorging their own elite, lovecraftian horrors. Strange, alien growths appeared on the ground throughout the zone, as if the land itself was changing to some sort of alien gods whim.

In short, all hell broke loose. After the initial shock on general chat (Which mainly amounted to people saying "holy shit!", "help!", and "THE'YRE KILLING EVERYTHING".), a raid got together and we started fighting back.

Across the verdant, drowned fields of the Free Marches, we rallied and began to kick ass. Killing at least fifty of the stygian horrors as we marched south to the beacons they were building, struggling to keep the NPC AI from taking the zone (Which apparently they're quite capable of doing. They had to build beacons, RTS style. And they were succeeding for awhile.). We even pursued our man-hunt to kill the monster that rose from the sea, under the sea, finding marks of his favor and hacking them to pieces.

Meanwhile, the sky darkened. And the ground under our feet got wetter and wetter, until in some areas, we were literally walking in ankle deep water at all times.

The Kelari village got burned (Drowned?) to the ground at some point, no clue when. Which is a shame, because not twenty minutes before it fell, I paid it a visit and upgraded it's wardstone to the highest tier.

The Kings Retreat, the most secure area in the northern half of the zone, also came under attack a few times, though a second battalion of ascended formed and marched down the main roads to meet the huge invasion force that had gathered, and was incoming toward's it, so it was saved.

There were easily 20 rifts open, and god knows how many eldritch abominations running around. When I logged out after the invasion, twenty minutes later, the southern half of the zone was still covered in rifts that were disgorging a dozen invasion forces, despite the event being officially "over".

Eventually, after an hour of marching around and hard combat, we finally managed to face off with the monster that started the zone wide event. It died. And I got myself a special orb, an epic item, that can be used to trade for epic quality gear, even at my level.

That was probably the most badass, awesome thing i've ever done in a MMO. Some of the scenes from it looked like they should have been on the cover of a death metal album, and it was definitely dynamic content on a zone wide scale. We had a frigging militia forming to defend the towns, for instance. For no other reason then to not lose them.

PvE: Dungeons and Such
ss61-large.jpg

Current Dungeon List:
Realm of the Fae - Silverwood - Level 17ish
Iron Tombs - Freemarch - Level 18ish
Darkening Deeps - Gloamwood - Level 22ish
Deepstrike Mines - Stonefield - Level 24ish
Foul Cascade - Scarlet Gorge - Level 30ish
King's Breach - Scarwood Reach - Level 35ish
Runic Descent - Moonshade Highlands - Level 40
Fall of Latern Hook - Droughtlands - Level 44
Charmer's Caldara - Shimmersand - Level 50
Abyssal Precipice - Iron Pine Peaks - Level 50

Current Raid List:

Greenscale - 5 Bosses

Upon release there will be ten dungeons and one raid. Two raids are planned for near-immediate post launch; Hammerknell, to be launched within 60 days, and a mystery raid that will be launched post release but before Hammerknell. All instances can be done normally as well as in 'expert mode', which is Rifts version of heroic content. There will be five tier one experts and five tier two experts, with T2 experts being more difficult and more rewarding than T1s. There will also be Group Rifts and Raid Rifts upon release, with the overall progression looking something like this:

Quest/Reputation/Solo Rift Items ---> Normal Level 50 Dungeons ---> Group Rifts (optional) ---> T1 experts ----> T2 experts ----> Raid Rifts (optional) ----> Raids.

All normal raids will be 20 man only at launch.

Here are some videos of boss fights in the early dungeons:
And here are some scenes from the dungeons available so far:
ss107-large.jpg
ss106-large.jpg
ss101-large.jpg
ss62-large.jpg
ss60-large.jpg

PvP: Yeah, RIFT has that too

If you're into PvP, there will be PvP servers. Here's a link to a description of the PvP ruleset and the opportunities for open world PvP.

We also know that there will be several Warfronts, basically instanced 10v10 (or more) battlegrounds that you queue up for. Warfronts that we've seen so far include:
-The Codex - 15v15, get points for holding different locations
-The Black Garden - 10v10, get points for controlling the Fang of Regulos, which does more and more damage to you the longer you're holding it
-A CTF 10 v 10. It's capture the flag. You've played it before. You get the flag. You return it to your base. You bitch at your teammates because holy fuck focus the flag carrier. The usual.

The ones planned but not seen yet are:
- A 20 v 20 'big battle' type, where you'll have to balance PvE and PvP to win (think Alterac Valley)

Important Links:

Official RIFT Website: http://www.riftgame.com/en/

Character Builder: http://rift.zam.com/en/stc.html

The PvP guild is The Six Mouths, Defiant, on Sunrest. If you want to join, sent a tell to Kiori, Wyla, or Jim.

The PvE guild is Knights of Arcadia, Defiant, on Faeblight. If you want to join, there's a chat channel (/join PennyArcade), or just whisper someone in the guild.

The EU PvE guild is Planary Arcadia, Defiant, on Argent. If you want to join, PM Kylka

Old Threads

Thread 1 Rift: All The Beta Keys You Can Eat
Thread 2 Rift: OH MY GOD MY PIG
Thread 3 [RIFT] Headstart Thursday! Release Tuesday! Death of Social Life Shortly Afterwards!
Thread 4 [RIFT] Out Now! Check OP For Guild Info!

Misc Stuff

The Six Mouths have a twitter. It's here.

Crafting Chart!
400px-Rift_Profession_Map.png

SkyCaptain has a guild on Hammerlord (PvE) Guardian side. It's not a PA guild (IE: It's not recruited from PA friends and family only), but if you want to scratch that Guardian itch, let him know. The guild is Serenity.

Congrats to Glina on being out first 50 (I think).

SimpsonsParadox on

• SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    The RIFT FAQ

When do you get your third soul?

- You should get all three of your souls during the tutorial, with the last (third) coming around level 6. If you're following a giant walker up a hill (defiant) or catapulting some giants (Guardian) you're too far.

Oh dear. My character's already out of the tutorial and I missed my third soul! I guess I better delete and restart...

- Nope! At level 15 you'll unlock quests to gather up whatever souls you didn't pick during the tutorial. For most people this means they'll do 5 quests and have all 8 souls available; for you, it just means you'll have to do 6 quests. All they entail doing is getting an item from a rift and summoning a non-elite mob, so they're really not that big of a deal.

No, no, it's okay. I didn't like my talent/soul picks anyway. I might as well start up a second rogue...

- Nope, once more! Skill trainers can both A: Reset all talent points (Which allows you to reallocate them or just straight up switch your souls around, since 0 point souls can be switched whenever) or B: Sell you another role. This opens up another page of 3 souls; you can switch between the two at whim so long as you're outside of combat. Think WoW's dual spec, except you'll have the money to buy your first probably by the time you're out of the tutorial zone. There are three extra roles in all for a grand total of four roles.

Why are people running around with two headed turtles/bear things/gazelles right after I leave the tutorial zone? What's going on?

- Mounts in Rift have no level requirement, meaning that the moment you can buy one you can ride it. There are a few different tiers of mounts, though, so don't worry! If its your first character, you'll probably be able to afford one in the late teens.

My pet stopped leveling with me what the christ

- "Zero Point Pets", or pets that you get for just selecting a soul and not putting any points into the tree, cap out at level 30. This, somewhat strangely, also includes any pets you get that either A: Don't have 'Greater' in their name or B: You didn't talent into. For example, an Earth Elemental (0 points in Elementalist), an Air Elemental (12 points into Elementalist) and a Skeletal Stalwart (12 points Necromancer) will all cap out at level 30, where as a Greater Earth Elemental (20 odd ish points in Elementalist), Skeletal Knight (21 point talent in Necromancer) or Greater Razorback (20 odd ish points in Ranger) will all level with you all the way to 50.

How the hell are people running around with epic equipment already? I'm only level 15!

- Two ways. The first is to take part in zone wide invasions. The end boss of these usually gives you a purple shard you can trade in with some Planarite to get epic equipment. The other way is exploring. In each zone there's a hidden minigame which, when beaten, will give you a random epic, some money, and an achievement.

How can I swap my roles and equipment at the same time?

Figgy has the answer.
    Figgy wrote: »
    Switching roles and gear at the same time:

This has been asked a few times, so here's a quick and dirty explanation:

/saveequip followed by a number will save your current equipment set as that number (ie: /saveequip 1)

/loadequip followed by a number will equip the set you have saved under the respective number (ie: /loadequip 1)

/role followed by a number will switch to the role designated by that number

So, just save each of your equipment sets under its own number, and your macro could look something like this:

/loadequip 1
    /role 1

and

/loadequip 2
    /role 2

Voila! You could even add a /wait command afterwards to then automatically cast certain buffs, so you won't forget. Like, for example, throwing up your assassin poisons when switching to your assassin build. (
    ('/cast Rainbow Blade Dance' will cast your epic Rainbow Blade Dance ability.)

SimpsonsParadox on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2011
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    -No, I don't feel like waiting for lightning to strike five times. The daily should be five games played.

That's not a daily. That's a normal one-time quest that gives you a weapon. The daily is one win.

Echo on
  • 28682868 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Don't you love the smell of new thread in the morning?

Stupid Warhammer 40k tournament cutting into my Rift time...

I'm loving the Necro/Lock, but I'm seriously considering rolling a Sab/Something/Something rogue.

Stupid Altitis.

2868 on
    Warhams. Allatime warhams.

buy warhams
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Wait, hold on. You guys ended up with THREE defiant guilds, and no guardian guilds at all?

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • cspatriotcspatriot Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Right now I'm running a 3.0ghz dual core processor, 4gb of ram and running vista 64. My card is probably the weakest link, as it's only a NVIDIA 9800 GT. Would upgrading to a GTX 460 or equivalent show a marked increase? Right now I'm running at medium and struggling to stay at 30fps. Anyone out there with similar specs that could give some pointers? I'd really rather not have to upgrade my processor if I can avoid it.

Yea, I had to upgrade my gpu from a 9500gt (old i know) to a gts450, it was pretty cheap in comparison to what i really really wanted. i have a 2.8GHz intel quad, 4GB ddr3. I run 60+ on medium to high settings (with a little tweaking the shadows and such), 40+ in high pop areas.

so comparing your setup to mine, a gtx460 would work wonders for you.

cspatriot on
    "Live long and prosper." -Han Solo
    LoL name Emryies
    SWTOR where art thou??
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    Wait, hold on. You guys ended up with THREE defiant guilds, and no guardian guilds at all?

Guardians are dull

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    <Serenity> is my Guardian guild on Hammerlord server.

Ask anyone in the guild for an invite and they can get you in.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • theconductor221theconductor221 Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I might join that SkyCaptain, I'm not really feeling Defiant. My name will be Aphorik

theconductor221 on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Anyone is welcome. For the first four days, it was the only guardian side guild on the server. It's reached critical mass and just continues to grow. Makes it easier to find groups though.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »

There was a vote, multiple in fact. Tended to always go overwhelmingly Defiant.

Could go join them, I guess. But at least with us when we point and laugh at you you'll know we're doing it out of love :(

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • FlipprDolphinFlipprDolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    servers down??

FlipprDolphin on
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    From twitter
    Riftgame wrote:
    The North American shards are coming down for an update at 8am PST (4pm GMT). Estimated downtime is 30 minutes. Thanks! ^Zann

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
  • MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    kdrudy wrote: »
    From twitter
    Riftgame wrote:
    The North American shards are coming down for an update at 8am PST (4pm GMT). Estimated downtime is 30 minutes. Thanks! ^Zann

Is there a non twitter place for these announcements?

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • MayGodHaveMercyMayGodHaveMercy Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Man, DON'T TAKE MY SATURDAYS FROM ME, TRION.

Okay, I vented. I'm okay. Now I need to share this with you. The reason you take a bard everywhere.
    Baaaaaaaaaaard.jpg

242 Planarite, 6 Puresources, and 4 of the same artifact. Which was weird.

MayGodHaveMercy on
    XBL: Mercy XXVI - Steam: Mercy_XXVI - PSN: Mercy XXVI
    edited March 2011
    Facebook? The Forums?

Arthil on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Facebook? The Forums?

It'd be nice if they at the very least stickied the posts about upcoming downtime in their forums, as it is you need to go digging through masses of posts looking for it or resort to social networking crap, very bad system imo. I mean the logical thing to do would be to put it in the launcher news section but no, that would be too easy.

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
    edited March 2011
    There's no need to sticky them, they aren't even in the cesspool that is General. They put them in the News and Announcements forum.

Arthil on
  • taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    There's no need to sticky them, they aren't even in the cesspool that is General. They put them in the News and Announcements forum.

yeah but their news and announcements forum has like 200 posts on the first page, you can't just casually pop in and scan the top of the forum to see, i almost couldn't find the post mentioning it when i went to specifically look for it after the servers went down

taliosfalcon on
    steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I'm really starting to regret buying the 6850 over the GTX 460. Fucking ATI cards, and terrible drivers.
    :?

Rizzi on
    edited March 2011
    However the announcements for servers going down and such are always at the top, well, below the stickies.

Arthil on
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Rizzi wrote: »
    I'm really starting to regret buying the 6850 over the GTX 460. Fucking ATI cards, and terrible drivers.

i thought the new ati cards were supposed to be pretty nice?

their drivers have always been shit though.

Angry on
  • IshtaarIshtaar Fun is underrated. Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Angry wrote: »
    Rizzi wrote: »

i thought the new ati cards were supposed to be pretty nice?

their drivers have always been shit though.

I have a new ATI card, and I hate it. I run dual monitors and never had any issues with my GTX card... Now if I try to do anything on the second screen (movies, youtube, etc) it wrecks my FPS.

Ishtaar on
    FFXIV: Sith Lord ~ D3: Ish ~ Steam:Ishie
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011

yeah but their news and announcements forum has like 200 posts on the first page, you can't just casually pop in and scan the top of the forum to see, i almost couldn't find the post mentioning it when i went to specifically look for it after the servers went down

Then bookmark the dev tracker on the forums.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
  • projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Error 1014- Unable to connect to patch server

:(

projectmayhem on
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Ok, I was pretty "anti-Rift" since my beta experience. But I'm fairly sure that's just because I didn't give it enough time.

While I do think the starter zone is a little lame, I'm really liking the game.

Anon the Felon on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I said this in-game, but I do enjoy being able to get one extra hit on a dead enemy. Even if it is a possible bug.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can somebody give me an opinion on how "casual play friendly" Rift is? What I mean is, my wife and I are MMO addicts. We just need to have one to play, and we've been away from them too long and it's clawing at us. However, I am in my last two semesters of my degree, and she's in the middle of a master's program, plus we both work full time, so we have jack shit for time. Like the most we get to play video games now is about 6 or 8 hours a week, and only on the weekends, sometimes even less.

We played some of the tutorial in the open beta but just to like level 4 and it seemed fun, albeit fairly generic. The class system seems like it opens up some really cool possibilities for customization that you don't get in other games. We're just wondering if it would be worth it. There isn't a LFG type tool, right? Is there a lot of general zone chat, making it easy to get a group together for one of the dungeons?

Thanks for any input.

Joshmvii on
    edited March 2011
    They have world-wide chats based on level brackets, you can join them if you out-level them since the game automatically leaves the last bracket and joins the new one. There is also a LFG channel that you can join. I'd say the game is quite casual friendly, you can hop on and do some quests, or rifts, or go through an invasion and then hop off without any real hassle.

I suppose the biggest thing is to not view your quest hub being overwhelmed by an invasion as a hinderance to your leveling, but more another aspect of it. Now you need to kill the fucks who've taken it over, and hear the lamentation of their women.

(I'm not sure if undead and fire goblins have women, Earth has female Cyclops so you can hear their lamentations)

Arthil on
  • JohnHamJohnHam Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    So I think my favorite thing about PvP is playing Inq on the Codex. Excommunicating people off of so many cliffs. Every success is an incredible joy, and it has yet to be diluted.

JohnHam on
    signature.png

• JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    They have world-wide chats based on level brackets, you can join them if you out-level them since the game automatically leaves the last bracket and joins the new one. There is also a LFG channel that you can join. I'd say the game is quite casual friendly, you can hop on and do some quests, or rifts, or go through an invasion and then hop off without any real hassle.

I suppose the biggest thing is to not view your quest hub being overwhelmed by an invasion as a hinderance to your leveling, but more another aspect of it. Now you need to kill the fucks who've taken it over, and hear the lamentation of their women.

(I'm not sure if undead and fire goblins have women, Earth has female Cyclops so you can hear their lamentations)

Thanks. I definitely wouldn't view the rifts as a hindrance to levelling, because if all there was to do in the game for fun was go from quest hub to quest hub I'd never even want to play it. I think the rifts sound like a cool, dynamic feature that is a nice addition to the genre.

Joshmvii on
  • RoeRoe Always to the East Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I don't think Rift's replay value is any good. Anyone try making 2 defiant characters and getting them both past level 10?

Roe on
    oHw5R0V.jpg
    edited March 2011
    Roe wrote: »
    I don't think Rift's replay value is any good. Anyone try making 2 defiant characters and getting them both past level 10?

Yes. Four times.

Echo on
  • GalielmusGalielmus Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

I'm currently leveling both a warrior and a rogue. They have about 2 levels of difference between them, and it's working out fine. Both defiants.

One of them I mostly did pvp to level up with, a few invasions/quests here and there. The other has been almost entirely pve (quests + invasions), with the occasional pvp break. I will likely do something similar to this with a cleric and mage down the road.

So no, no problem at all.

Galielmus on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    I really wish you could skip the starter zone, it even fits with the lore - they just manufacture you as a present-day ascended or some shit

Only really have to do it four times though

override367 on
  • NeliNeli Registered User regular
    edited March 2011

Yes, I've got 3 classes past 15.

I leveled my cleric in PvE and my bard in PvP. So far PvP seems to go faster ( I never lose with my bard) but has fewer rewards (items).

Neli on
    vhgb4m.jpg
    I have stared into Satan's asshole, and it fucking winked at me.
    [/size]
    edited March 2011
    Neli wrote: »
    I leveled my cleric in PvE and my bard in PvP. So far PvP seems to go faster ( I never lose with my bard) but has fewer rewards (items).

There's a fair bit of rewards, but they do however require you to travel to different areas to buy them.

Echo on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    What secondary Souls are people using with Bard, and why?

I've tried Assassin and Ranger as secondary but neither really felt like they did anything for me.

I primarily play my Bard in PvE as a Healer/Support.

Bloodshed on
  • RaernRaern Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Joshmvii wrote: »
    Can somebody give me an opinion on how "casual play friendly" Rift is? What I mean is, my wife and I are MMO addicts. We just need to have one to play, and we've been away from them too long and it's clawing at us. However, I am in my last two semesters of my degree, and she's in the middle of a master's program, plus we both work full time, so we have jack shit for time. Like the most we get to play video games now is about 6 or 8 hours a week, and only on the weekends, sometimes even less.

We played some of the tutorial in the open beta but just to like level 4 and it seemed fun, albeit fairly generic. The class system seems like it opens up some really cool possibilities for customization that you don't get in other games. We're just wondering if it would be worth it. There isn't a LFG type tool, right? Is there a lot of general zone chat, making it easy to get a group together for one of the dungeons?

Thanks for any input.

I'd rate Rift as being very casual friendly. The quests are mostly fast and solo-able. The Rifts and public group function make it easy to enjoy some group content without making a major commitment to a guild. The leveling curve is easy. Hard core players hit 50 in under a week. Casuals can probably do it in about a month.

There's a LFG chat channel (type /lfg to join). Also there are chat channels you're automatically put in for each level range and it's common to see people forming groups there. I'm not sure if your reference to an LFG tool meant just a search function, or WOW's auto-group, but there are advantages to not having the auto-group such as being able to get to know people around your level and group with them again if they're good.

Raern on
  • SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can I do anything with the extra shards from Freemarch? I've since moved on and have 3 shards sitting there doing nothing. Can they be upgraded somehow?

SeñorAmor on
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    What secondary Souls are people using with Bard, and why?

I've tried Assassin and Ranger as secondary but neither really felt like they did anything for me.

I primarily play my Bard in PvE as a Healer/Support.

Ranger. Damage mitigation talents up until I get the wolf unlocked. Pig for soloing, wolf for groups with a tank.

Then I have Riftstalker as the 3rd, 0-pt soul for now. Just for the dash to get the fuck out.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
This discussion has been closed.